PDA

View Full Version : To Blu-Ray or Not to Blu-Ray?

TripleB
12-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Here is my situation:

- I have a standard DVD player (no upconversion) hooked up to my TV set

- I'm needing a new Upconverting DVD or a Blu-Ray player for a 720p 50" plasma TV

- wanted to stay under $60 (for the DVD player) and found a couple that seem to fit the bill but many people say that you can't really tell the difference when a DVD play upconverts to 1080p (or 720p in my case)

- so I'm thinking I may want to look at moving up to a Blu-Ray player (probably under $130...which is really pushing my $ limit)

- I have no Blu-Ray disc and I don't buy a large number of movies (maybe 2 a month)

My question is, will a Blu-Ray player upconvert my standard DVD's any better than a DVD player that upconverts them?

Would I be better off just going with a $60 upconverting DVD player?

Thanks for any and all input.

TripleB

sureshs
12-03-2009, 08:08 AM
My DVD player broke last week and I faced the same decision. To Blue or not to Blue. Then my son made the decision for me and made me buy a $299 PS3 which comes with a Blue Ray player. Instead of a conventional remote, we control it with the Sony controller! I managed to get the Black Friday special box, even though it was the next day, and the price included two PS3 games.

El Diablo
12-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Maybe it's time to subscribe to Consumer Reports (or just buy the annual Buyer's Guide, probably on sale now). You seem to struggle over every consumer item purchase. Why not get expert opinions?

rommil
12-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Not all Bluray transfers are that awesome but the awesome ones are just....awesome. PS3 which I have too, is a great value esp if games are played. About the discs, you can always search on Amazon for bargains.

bharat
12-03-2009, 09:10 AM
if your not planning to upgrade ur tv to 1080p, theres no need to get a blueray player

imo, dvd upconvert shd be enough

eagle
12-03-2009, 09:12 AM
I still have standard DVD players and will likely not move up to the Blue.

I'm waiting for the next media to come when discs are no longer needed.

Just like with computers, I loathe CDs and don't use them anymore. I only use portable or flash drives. More capacity and easier to use.

2 cents.

r,
eagle

Mick
12-03-2009, 09:14 AM
some people want super sharp video when they watch movies on a big screen. my co-worker, on the other hand, watches movies on his iPod :shock:

TheJRK
12-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Unless you have a set that can display full 1080p, getting a stand alone BluRay player is probably a waste of money. Not that there is a huge eye shattering difference between 720p and 1080p.

I got a PS3 since I play games, but it's also a BluRay player so I looked at it like a "bonus" feature.

The reality is I only own like 4 BluRay movies though.

rommil
12-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Unless you have a set that can display full 1080p, getting a stand alone BluRay player is probably a waste of money. Not that there is a huge eye shattering difference between 720p and 1080p.

I got a PS3 since I play games, but it's also a BluRay player so I looked at it like a "bonus" feature.

The reality is I only own like 4 BluRay movies though.

Recommendation: If you enjoyed the Bourne movies, take a look at the Bourne Trilogy on bluray. I know, it's pricey but well worth it.

LuckyR
12-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Here is my situation:

- I have a standard DVD player (no upconversion) hooked up to my TV set

- I'm needing a new Upconverting DVD or a Blu-Ray player for a 720p 50" plasma TV

- wanted to stay under $60 (for the DVD player) and found a couple that seem to fit the bill but many people say that you can't really tell the difference when a DVD play upconverts to 1080p (or 720p in my case)

- so I'm thinking I may want to look at moving up to a Blu-Ray player (probably under $130...which is really pushing my $ limit)

- I have no Blu-Ray disc and I don't buy a large number of movies (maybe 2 a month)

My question is, will a Blu-Ray player upconvert my standard DVD's any better than a DVD player that upconverts them?

Would I be better off just going with a $60 upconverting DVD player?

Thanks for any and all input.

TripleB

I can see it both ways. On one hand, BluRay players are coming down in price dramatically, yet very few folks buy or rent BluRay disc since regular DVDs are quite good and cheaper.

If you were a videophile, you would already have a BluRay player. I would be guided by your finances.

Mick
12-03-2009, 11:12 AM
the blu-ray players are cheaper but the movie discs are still quite expensive compared to dvd.