PDA

View Full Version : Been using 16x19, now have 18X20. What string?!

edman9898
12-03-2009, 07:41 AM
I have been using a Head Youtek Speed MP 16x19 and have a Dunlop Aerogel 200 18x20 on the way. I like the PHT mains at 58 lbs, and PSGD crosses at 60 lbs on my current stick. Does anyone have any suggestions for the new 18x20 Aerogel 200? I know it will be less powerful and produce less spin than the 16x19 racquet. Thanks!

Connors
12-03-2009, 07:46 AM
I thought with the Lead tape, you LOVE your Head Youtek Speed MP? What happened??

edman9898
12-03-2009, 08:00 AM
I still do love it, but I'm a racquetaholic, so I love to tinker around. I used to love the stability of my 95" Ignite but the stiffness killed my shoulder, and I have been wanting to try an 18x20 string pattern for a long time! I know, I know. :oops:

LeeD
12-03-2009, 08:08 AM
More important is to drop tension slightly.
Even going from Mfil 200 to Aero 200, the stiffer head needs softer tension.
Aero might weigh the same as Mfil, advertised at 12.4. My Aero does.
Both 18x20's.
With extra heft, and more strings, you might like thinner gauge. Me, I use 15 gauge nylon regardless.

Nellie
12-03-2009, 08:14 AM
I would also suggest going with the thinner string for more power/spin/comfort.

edman9898
12-03-2009, 08:31 AM
OK. So stick with the same strings I am using but drop the tension by maybe 5 lbs. and use a thinner gauge or just drop the tension alone?

LeeD
12-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Either way, you're gonna have to weigh both rackets and check the balance.
As you know, Aero has more strings, so more swingweight added AND more airdrag on serves and forehands.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-03-2009, 09:15 AM
I would also suggest going with the thinner string for more power/spin/comfort.

I would go with 18 gauge strings to. Your going to lose some spin going to the tighter pattern.

edman9898
12-03-2009, 06:15 PM
I would go with 18 gauge strings to. Your going to lose some spin going to the tighter pattern.

18 gauge? I break strings pretty fast with 16 gauge and hit with a lot of spin already. Don't you think 17 gauge would suffice?

lawlitssoo1n
12-03-2009, 06:36 PM
18 gauge? I break strings pretty fast with 16 gauge and hit with a lot of spin already. Don't you think 17 gauge would suffice?

17g is the perfect gauge! i'm loving my concept pure 17G, give that a try

scarnley
12-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Some good suggestions here, have one more for you. Get some MSV Focus Hex in either 1.18 or even 1.10 and drop your tension way down. The AeroGel will feel OK in the mid to higher 50s, but it will feel plush at 52m and 50x, and you won't give up any control. In fact you'll probably gain some with the tighter overall pattern.

Don't worry about breakage, Focus Hex is very durable, and I've been using it in more open patterns and 100si heads. I'm pretty strong and I take big cuts at the ball, only time I've snapped it is with the combo of a big swing and really bad contact out near the frame, and that's only popped twice. I hit it out there all the time.

Try the lower tension, you won't be disappointed, and you won't be less of a man because of it.

Happy hittting!

bad_call
12-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Some good suggestions here, have one more for you. Get some MSV Focus Hex in either 1.18 or even 1.10 and drop your tension way down.

apologies for the side question. how much tension to drop the Hex 1.10 ?

thanks in advance.

edman9898
12-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Some good suggestions here, have one more for you. Get some MSV Focus Hex in either 1.18 or even 1.10 and drop your tension way down. The AeroGel will feel OK in the mid to higher 50s, but it will feel plush at 52m and 50x, and you won't give up any control. In fact you'll probably gain some with the tighter overall pattern.

Don't worry about breakage, Focus Hex is very durable, and I've been using it in more open patterns and 100si heads. I'm pretty strong and I take big cuts at the ball, only time I've snapped it is with the combo of a big swing and really bad contact out near the frame, and that's only popped twice. I hit it out there all the time.

Try the lower tension, you won't be disappointed, and you won't be less of a man because of it.

Happy hittting!

I tried the 1.18 Hex on my Speed MP and didn't really care for it. If I drop the tension down 10 lbs, I would think it would be way too powerful even with the 18x20 pattern. Thanks for the response and keep 'em coming!

edman9898
12-04-2009, 07:38 AM
I am thinking about Blue Gear, anyone have any thoughts on it?

Nellie
12-04-2009, 07:54 AM
I break a lot less strings with a 18* 20, versus a 16*19, so I find that the thinner strings hold up pretty well on the tighter string bed. I like the thinner strings at looser tensions to make the string bed more forgiving outside of the sweetspot.

lawlitssoo1n
12-04-2009, 08:34 PM
I am thinking about Blue Gear, anyone have any thoughts on it?

blue gear, is a stiff poly, killed my arm when i used to use it. try using a softer poly.

GinoGinelli
12-05-2009, 03:12 AM

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-05-2009, 04:48 AM

Yes, however the closed string pattern will allow your strings to last longer due to the reduced movement of the strings.

scarnley
12-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Relative to the assumption that dropping 10 lbs of tension on a copoly will make it "too powerful", not really. If you did that with a syn gut, absolutely. Poly based strings do not stretch anywhere near what a syn gut (which is most folks reference string) does, maybe a third. If you don't string, next time you're at a stringer, have them pull a couple of strings to show you the difference. It's very significant.

So anyway, you can drop quite a few pounds on a good co poly like MSV and not really get a trampoline effect, you just get a softer hit and a slightly larger sweet spot. I had read that MSV, by design, doesn't play near as well when strung above 53 lbs., and I find that to be true. It still feels good to me (a poly addict) at 60, but it feels great at 52 and the comfort is outstanding with no real difference in control.

I think this is just the evolution of poly strings, and you've already seen quite a few pros, especially the euros, drop full beds down into the high forties. Always exceptions to everything, like Del Potro at 64 on a full bed of Lux, but how many people hit the ball like he does?

Really just throwing it out there as an option to be tried. I've been stuck on copolys for about 15 years, ever since Lux first hit the US, and I've just recently figured out how nice a setup you get with a copoly at much lower tensions. My elbow in particular is really digging it!

Good luck to all!

mlnsdj
12-05-2009, 07:36 AM

18 too powerful. You will not lose that much spin. I use same gauge with 18x20 AG200 or APDC 16x19 or now YT RAD PRO. Tension and string composition matter more than gauge. Not only will 18 be too powerful, it will break very quickly. Try a softer poly in mains like topspin cyberflash or sig pro poly plasma (SPPP a bit thinner at 1.23mm=more spring/power). The 18x20 pattern feels better with softer poly string. You'll also gain control by dropping tension, because it allows the poly to pocket the ball and turn it over better for more topspin, which keeps the ball in. I was always a 62-63lb stringer with syn or multifil soft strings, dropped to 56-58 with poly and gained power AND control. Loved the AG200, but now going with YT Rad Pro, isospeed baseline speed 17 full at 57lbs...

btw...4.5 all court player. swing hard, play hard, singles or dubs. play about 8 hrs a week...

edman9898
12-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Relative to the assumption that dropping 10 lbs of tension on a copoly will make it "too powerful", not really. If you did that with a syn gut, absolutely. Poly based strings do not stretch anywhere near what a syn gut (which is most folks reference string) does, maybe a third. If you don't string, next time you're at a stringer, have them pull a couple of strings to show you the difference. It's very significant.

So anyway, you can drop quite a few pounds on a good co poly like MSV and not really get a trampoline effect, you just get a softer hit and a slightly larger sweet spot. I had read that MSV, by design, doesn't play near as well when strung above 53 lbs., and I find that to be true. It still feels good to me (a poly addict) at 60, but it feels great at 52 and the comfort is outstanding with no real difference in control.

I think this is just the evolution of poly strings, and you've already seen quite a few pros, especially the euros, drop full beds down into the high forties. Always exceptions to everything, like Del Potro at 64 on a full bed of Lux, but how many people hit the ball like he does?

Really just throwing it out there as an option to be tried. I've been stuck on copolys for about 15 years, ever since Lux first hit the US, and I've just recently figured out how nice a setup you get with a copoly at much lower tensions. My elbow in particular is really digging it!

Good luck to all!

I have heard this from quite a few. Since I already have a set of MSV, I might as well give it a try. Thanks for all the suggestions!