PDA

View Full Version : Gamma TNT2 Hybrids

Lindros13
12-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Back in March of 2008, I started a thread about Gamma TNT2 16g hybrids. (it's archived if you search for TNT2 in the title). Unfortunately I never found a TNT2 hybrid setup that I liked enough, so for the last year and a half, I've been playing with full TNT2 stringbeds. I love it better than any other string or hybrid that I've tried, but the strings consistently snap after 8-9 hours of playing (which for me is once per week or ~every 4 times that I play). I learned to live with it, but recently I decided that I just can't take it anymore! I'm ready to accept something not quite as good but hopefully somewhat comparable.

In summary, I am looking for something more durable than a full TNT2 stringbed but with similar feel and characteristics. What I love most about TNT2 is the crisp (almost "explosive") feel - which is particularly noticeable when volleying. There is no "deadness" at all, like you will find in a poly.

-- Any suggestions on a hybrid main string (to mix with TNT2 as the cross)? -- or any suggestions for another string that may be similar but more durable than TNT2 16g which I could do as a full stringjob?

-- Is it pointless to do a poly main because most will go dead after 8-10 hours (even though they don't snap)?

Note: I tried TNT2 in the 15L gauge size once, but I don't recall how much longer it lasted. That could be worthy of another try. - ...or maybe even as a hybrid with the 16g.

Irvin
12-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Try TNT2 15L

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Gamma_TNT2_15L_Natural_String/descpageACGAMMA-TNT15L.html

Irvin

Jagman
12-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Lindros13,

I'm a big fan of Gamma TNT2 as well. I'm not a string breaker by nature, and rotate play through several racquets, so stringjobs tend to last a long time for me. I have had TNT2 break on me, but in each case felt that I had gotten more than my money's worth.

I have used TNT2 both in a full bed and hybrided with various polys. You are right that polys only last a few hours, so I guess their use would primarily be dictated by economic considerations. I think that TNT2 as a cross does a good job of softening up a harsh poly. Since I string at relatively high tensions (around 60 lbs) and generally use a stiff frame, that is an important consideration for me.

I have hybrided TNT2 with both PHT and Alu Power with good results. TNT2 is also the cross that Gamma uses in their Zo Sweet hybrid. If you want to try a poly and like Gamma strings, I'd recommend that you give Zo Sweet a try. I found it very comfortable at 60 lbs, offering a nice, crisp, feel and good touch.

Ditto on the suggestion that you try a thicker gauge of TNT2 if you don't mind using it in a full bed and just want added durability. Maybe a little less feel and bite on the ball with thicker gauges, but not significantly so; at least IMO regarding TNT2.

Cheers!

Lindros13
12-07-2009, 05:19 AM
Thx Irvin: I ordered two sets of TNT2 15L. One 15L set I'll do as a full job and test it out by itself. The other I may split in half and combine with TNT2 16g crosses to see if it lasts just as long as the full 15L and if it provides any better feel/bite.

Jagman: I looked back at my notes, and two years ago, I strung up Gamma Zo Power 16g but did not like it at all. It was one of the free strings that came with my Gamma stringing machine. I strung it at 50 lbs (~10% less than my norm, as recommeded) but I ended up cutting it out because of its lack of power. Maybe as a hybrid, the Zo Sweet or Zo Power could provide more crisp feel and touch than my initial experience. Thx

Any other TNT2 hybrid suggestions? or other comparable strings to try by themself?

Racer41c
12-07-2009, 01:35 PM
I've always used TNT 2 as my starting point string.

Anyway, I've never tried the 15L, but if it were me, I'd go down in tension by 1-2 lbs.

The other string I'd suggest is Spiral Flex in 16.

Lakers4Life
12-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I recently strung a racket with Zo 17 in the mains and TNT2 17 in the crosses, for a customer.

Irvin
12-08-2009, 04:31 AM
Thx Irvin: I ordered two sets of TNT2 15L. One 15L set I'll do as a full job and test it out by itself. The other I may split in half and combine with TNT2 16g crosses to see if it lasts just as long as the full 15L and if it provides any better feel/bite...

You may want to try some poly string the the crosses with TNT2 mains. It will not be as harsh as what you tried before. With a smooth poly in the crosses your mains will not move as much and when they do move they will not be notched as much do to the smooth nature of the poly. Should triple your string life maybe more.

Irvin

Lindros13
12-08-2009, 07:09 AM
You may want to try some poly string the the crosses with TNT2 mains. It will not be as harsh as what you tried before. With a smooth poly in the crosses your mains will not move as much and when they do move they will not be notched as much do to the smooth nature of the poly. Should triple your string life maybe more.

Irvin

Interesting concept that I've never considered! I always snap the mains so I've always thought that it would be pointless to do a hybrid keeping the TNT2 on the mains and varying the crosses. It never dawned on me that another cross string (such as a smooth poly) could create less friction thus expanding the life of my favorite TNT2 mains. Brilliant. I hope this works because the mains seem to dominate the feel of the racquet. (note that I am a bit skeptical that this will effectively work - but it's well worth trying. The reason for my skepticism is because I once strung up a VG gut main/poly cross hybrid [to somewhat mirror Fed's setup] but the mains snapped just as fast as when I strung a full VS gut job. I also recall people posting that polys can "saw through" certain strings. Maybe not the case with TNT2 - I'll soon see.. and post my results).

So now, what's a decent poly that I can use as a cross, which won't go dead after 8 hours of use? Wow, if I could double my current string life (and get 15-20 hours of use) I would be thriilled!

Irvin
12-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Here is a suggestion. Some will argue with me because it is first generation poly but I don't care. Try Gosen Polylon. They are inexpensive and I am all for good inexpensive strings.

The biggest benefit of these strings is not that they are smooth but that they are stiff. Being a stiff string and poly they tend to hold their shape. Because they hold their shape the mains do not move as much. The softer the poly string in the crosses the more it bites into the mains and the more it allows the mains to move which makes the poly saw into the mains.

Use a softer poly like Pro Hurricane Tour and you will find that the poly, because it is soft, tends to grip or bite into the mains more and the life is not increased. I am presently using the Wilson poly string they sent out for play testers and I love it. I have VS Touch gut mains in one racket and Prince Premier LT mains in another. Love them both and the mains do not move. When the mains don't move they last longer.

Here is another string to try Prince Recoil. I would put the TNT2 in the mains the recoil in the crosses. I have never used the recoil but it is supposed to be very smooth. That is why the string moves back into place so well. If it is smooth enough maybe it will not damage the mains as much.

Good luck!

Irvin

Lindros13
12-15-2009, 01:25 PM
TW just delivered my order of 8 string sets! Some I got from suggestions above (thx), and some from reading other threads:
Gosen Polylon Yellow 17
Prince Recoil 16 (two guys in my club use this as well, exclusively but not hybriding)
Signum Pro Hyperion 17
Weiss Cannon Silverstring 1.25mm
Topspin Cyberflash 17g
Topspin Cyberflash 16g,
and two more sets of TNT2 15L.
(plus, I still have another reel of my favorite TNT2 16g)

While I am excited to try out hybrids (or maybe even full stringjobs of one of these), I should probably remind myself that I've done this before with other similar strings and never found a setup or string worthy of keeping. I just never liked anything close enough to TNT2 16g. But this time, I'm not trying to find better - I'm trying to find a happy compromise to gain more durability. Also, my game is always evolving so maybe there's a remote possibility I'll enjoy one of these polys.

Any more comments, suggestions, etc before I break open a package and start my hybrid tests? (I'm thinking of starting with the cheap $2.95 Polylon set and doing it as a hybrid with the TNT2 as the mains and then another racquet but as the crosses.) I currently like my TNT2 at 55 lbs and I definitely don't want to have arm problems from the poly - so for sure, I will be doing any poly at lower tension - I just haven't thought about the exact numbers just yet within whatever hybrid I do.

ogruskie
12-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Blackline Hyperion mains, TNT2 crosses is what I'm using right now. Feels very crisp but still has great touch on soft strokes.

Lindros13
12-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Blackline Hyperion mains, TNT2 crosses is what I'm using right now. Feels very crisp but still has great touch on soft strokes.

What was your purpose for the hybrid as opposed to stringing a full Hyperion or a full TNT2?

ogruskie
12-15-2009, 07:12 PM
What was your purpose for the hybrid as opposed to stringing a full Hyperion or a full TNT2?

I don't like playing with full multi/synthetic because there's too much power and they break too quickly. I try to stay away from full poly because it hurts my elbow and wrist. With a poly/multi hybrid I get all the control of a poly, with extra added comfort from the soft crosses. So to me its an ideal combination.

I originally got the TNT2 just to soften the ultra stiff ALU Power. I had half a set left over so decided to pair it with the Hyperion.

EDIT: I noticed that you worried about poly hybrids because they lose tension after 8-10. I have to tell you that with full Hyperion that is DEFINITELY not the case. These strings have superb tension maintenance. I've had this current set of strings for about...2 weeks now. And they still play just as fresh as day one. Well ok, I could notice SLIGHT tension loss, but that's still incredible compared to the other crap polys out there.

Lindros13
12-16-2009, 05:05 AM
I found in my notes that I once did a hybrid of TNT2 16g mains@55lbs & Luxilon Fluoro 17g crosses@49lbs back in Feb 2008. It only lasted 8-9 hours of playing so it didn't expand the durability of doing a full TNT2 stringbed. Luxilon Fluoro, if I remember correctly, was supposedly "softer" than the others in the Lux line, so maybe the soft poly cross sawed through the TNT as Irvin suggested above. Which of my recent string purchases would be a waste to string as a cross with the TNT mains? (i.e. are some of these strings too soft where they will just cut through the mains?) Also, is it a common belief by others that the softer polys saw through faster - or Irvin, is that simply a hypothesis of yours? I'm not questioning it in a negative way; I appreciate your help/guidance.

I didn't get a chance to string a racquet last night. Maybe tonight.

GPB
12-16-2009, 12:37 PM
One other rec. for your mains: Gamma TNT2 Tour!

It's similar to the regular TNT2 but lasts a bit longer. I have a friend who used to go full TNT2, breaking it in ~3weeks (sorry I can't give hours). Then he went full TNT2 Tour and I was getting it in about 5 weeks to restring.

Eventually we moved on to some different hybrids, but TNT2 Tour 16 was always in the mix somewhere.

Lindros13
01-07-2010, 05:52 AM

ogruskie or others: I strung your exact combo up last night and played with it for about 30 minutes this morning. I was very happy with it! I was surprised that it still had some decent feel when volleying and it had very good power compared to other stiff, low-powered polys that I've tested in the past. However..after a few games into my first set, I framed a ball at top of the stringbed (hit the top of the strings and the frame) and the Hyperion snapped right at the top between the 2nd and 3rd string from the center. I can't believe it.

I just researched and read on another thread that Hyperion is less prone to breaking at the edges of the frame than SPPP. Is it still a common problem though, or was I just really unlucky? Yes, I could get 1.30mm instead of the 1.24mm, but I hope to think this was a freak situation (I mean maybe I kinked the string during stringing or clamped it a little hard but not that I can recall)

I know it is low tension, but I had:
- Signum Pro Hyperion 1.24mm (mains) at 44 lbs
- Gamma TNT2 1.30mm (crosses) at 50 lbs

Obviously, I did not want it to be stiff/boardy and it sure wasn't. Again, it really felt great.

Thoughts on Hyperion snapping at the frame's edge?

Lindros13
01-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Over the weekend, I strung up three TNT hybrids: two were hybrids with WeissCannon Silverstring (at two different tensions) and the third hybrid was with CyberFlash 17g. TNT was the cross string in all three.

The WeisCannon/TNT hybrid felt pretty good this morning even though I didn't play particularly well. I really need to test it a few more times (and obviously see how long it lasts as well).

ogruskie
01-11-2010, 11:51 AM
I used the 1.30 gauge, and despite shanking several times the string never broke. It could just have been a freak accident.

Lindros13
01-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Here is a suggestion. Some will argue with me because it is first generation poly but I don't care. Try Gosen Polylon. They are inexpensive and I am all for good inexpensive strings.

The biggest benefit of these strings is not that they are smooth but that they are stiff. Being a stiff string and poly they tend to hold their shape. Because they hold their shape the mains do not move as much. The softer the poly string in the crosses the more it bites into the mains and the more it allows the mains to move which makes the poly saw into the mains.

Use a softer poly like Pro Hurricane Tour and you will find that the poly, because it is soft, tends to grip or bite into the mains more and the life is not increased. I am presently using the Wilson poly string they sent out for play testers and I love it. I have VS Touch gut mains in one racket and Prince Premier LT mains in another. Love them both and the mains do not move. When the mains don't move they last longer.

Here is another string to try Prince Recoil. I would put the TNT2 in the mains the recoil in the crosses. I have never used the recoil but it is supposed to be very smooth. That is why the string moves back into place so well. If it is smooth enough maybe it will not damage the mains as much.

Good luck!

Irvin

Hi Irvin: Before the holidays, I followed your idea and strung up:
- TNT 16g mains at 53 lbs
- Gosen Polylon Yellow 17g crosses at 46 lbs

The setup felt a little stiff compared to my full TNT stringbed setup, and most notably, this setup was more challenging to hit shots with heavy topspin which is part of my game. It seemed to force a more flatter ball or at least it made me work harder to get the heavy topspin shot than I regularly hit. Regardless, the TNT mains snapped in the middle of my fifth session of using it (so the Polylon cross did not really extend the TNT life). Being that it was only $2.95 and I still got my normal 4-5 days of play out of the TNT mains, it was well worth the try. Plus, I saved half a set of TNT. (But I'm not after the money, I'm after the hassle of frequent restringing.)

I have not tried your other ideas, but I'm now a little skeptical about keeping TNT on the mains unless you or others think one of the other polys I bought above could extend the TNT "mains" life (now that we know that Polylon did not). As you can see in my other recent posts, I'm testing various setups with TNT as a cross. Thanks again though.