PDA

View Full Version : Best shot of the season!

USCfan
04-19-2005, 03:29 PM
I got lobbed while I was at net-it was great lob,and my opponent figured he had won the point. Anyway, I raced back as fast as I could, somehow reached the ball before it bounced twice, and whipped my racquet around the ball and over my shoulder as fast as I possibly could (with my back to the net). The ball had about ten feet of net clearance, the kid yells "Aw, NO WAY!" while it's in the air, then watches as it hits just in front of the baseline. It had so much spin- it just took off after it bounced, and the poor guy looked like a fool trying to return it.

I've hit a tween the legs shot already this season (and got scolded by the coach), but this shot felt so good. I jumped up like Jordan with a fist pump Hewitt would've been proud of (however, I kept the "COME AWWN" to myself). The kid crumbled after that point and I easily took the set.

raftermania
04-19-2005, 03:55 PM
You should copyright it, "topspin behind the back smash." Do you actually practice that shot, or did it just come to you?

Dopke
04-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah, theres always one or two shots that you remember and are like "damn that was an awesome shot" and you wish you could have had it on tape cause you would just replay it over and over and over. I have one of those shots, passing shot, dead run on the forehand side, the opponent was already almost walking away, and I just extended out my racquet and just flicked it down the line. Sounds not as great, but I was fully extended. Eh, atleast I thought it was crazy :D

Tennis_baller
04-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Just today I hit a desperate lob off a first serve. It bounced on his side, and just before my opponent got to it, it bounced back on my side of the net. I was SWEET!!!1

USCfan
04-19-2005, 05:26 PM
You should copyright it, "topspin behind the back smash."
Do you actually practice that shot, or did it just come to you?

No-I want others to hit it too, just so I can see it. Because I'm fairly certain I will NEVER hit that shot again.

Never practiced it... I never even imagined it...sometimes I practice the 'tween the legs shots, but never this.

USCfan
04-21-2005, 03:36 PM
I stand corrected...I HIT IT AGAIN TODAY!!!

It was a huge point, and the kid hit a high bouncing overhead, which I ran back and somehow retrieved. The shot was almost identical to the first-I whipped the racquet over my shoulder while facing the fence...

And this time my coach saw it too. He asked "How the hell did you do that?"

splink779
04-21-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey USCfan, I see you string your Aerodrive plus at 50 lbs. Ive been looking to drop the tension in my PD+ from 60 to something like 57. Do you play with heavy spin? It seems at 50 pounds these babolats would be excessively powerful.

USCfan
04-21-2005, 04:17 PM
They are rather powerful. Recently, I have begun to hit with more spin than I have previously. The reason for that tension is more comfort than a need for power.

Now that I think about it, though, I probably wouldn't have been able to hit these two shots with my old C10 strung at 60.

Power Game
04-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Now that I think about it, though, I probably wouldn't have been able to hit these two shots with my old C10 strung at 60.

Why not? I'm telling you man, racquets won't do stuff like that to your game... its all about strokes.

Power Game
04-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Hey USCfan, I see you string your Aerodrive plus at 50 lbs. Ive been looking to drop the tension in my PD+ from 60 to something like 57. Do you play with heavy spin? It seems at 50 pounds these babolats would be excessively powerful.

Please take into account that it is 50 lbs on a constant pull machine, which equals about 55 lbs on a regular crank machine.

USCfan
04-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Why not? I'm telling you man, racquets won't do stuff like that to your game... its all about strokes.

I have to disagree with you-at least for these two shots... I had no time to set up-with the c10 I would have popped up a short ball to be smashed.