PDA

View Full Version : 4.0 partner needed in Key west 12/19-29

apor
12-03-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm visiting Key West with my dad this Dec and I'm curious if I should bring my sticks. I thought I could handle being away from the game for 2 weeks, but I'm now reconsidering. We'll be staying at Boyd's Campground.

Under the new rating system I would be a mid-level 4.0
I had very competitive sets with computer rated 4.0 under the old ratings.

Or, if anybody knows some courts where I can show up and find a partner, that would be good too. I'd hit with weak 3.5 and up if I had a choice, but anybody will do if I'm hard pressed.
Thanks!

1FATGUY
12-04-2009, 08:20 PM
I go there all the time for work and always bring my racquets.Island Tennis at Bay View park on Truman Ave has 5 public courts. Always can find a good pick up game. Most players are around 3.5-4.5. Last time i was there one guy brought out a cooler of beer and fresh oysters for everybody. Key West, Good tennis and even better partying. Have Fun

apor
12-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the tip!

FloridaAG
12-09-2009, 07:04 AM
I live in Key West part-time -mostly weekends. 1Fatguy is correct - you can always find people to play at the Courts at Bayview Park in the mornings or evenings - Range of players vary widely and most people play with anyone. Most of the playing is doubles as there are usually lots of people waiting.

There is a sign-up sheet at the benches - I will be there from the 24th-28th and expect to play tennis every day. Either Christmas or the day after there is supposed to be a picnic on the Courts, so not sure how much tennis will be played versus eating and drinking but I am not sure about that.

The Courts at Higgs beach are usually less crowded and free if you need a court and have someone to play with - ie if you want to play singles or continuously without getting bumped off the Courts.

I can hit with you - I play 4.5s mostly and some 4.0s.

FloridaAG
12-09-2009, 08:14 AM
You should also be aware -I think Boyd's is actually on Stock Island, which is just otuside what most people consider Key West. No big deal - but you can't walk to Old Town or the tennis courts from there.

On the flip side, you are very close to Hogfish Bar and Grill which is awesome. Also real close to the Hurricane Hole where one of the tennis guys plays with his band (I hope he is better at music than tennis)

1FATGUY
12-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Hogfish is great! Great blackened fish sandwich. and great locals hangout with cold cheap beer. If you see Benny down at the courts tell him John from Reon NV. said hi.

FloridaAG
12-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Hogfish is great! Great blackened fish sandwich. and great locals hangout with cold cheap beer. If you see Benny down at the courts tell him John from Reon NV. said hi.

When you mentioned the beer, I knew you were talking about Benny:) It is not a question of if but when - as he is always there.

Yup, I love Hogfish, was there on Sunday - whenever I don't mind driving to lunch we head over there. The fishmarket there, Fishbusterz is also killer as the prices are insane.

apor
12-11-2009, 12:38 PM
I live in Key West part-time -mostly weekends. 1Fatguy is correct - you can always find people to play at the Courts at Bayview Park in the mornings or evenings -

I will be there from the 24th-28th and expect to play tennis every day.
The Courts at Higgs beach are usually less crowded and free if you need a court and have someone to play with - ie if you want to play singles or continuously without getting bumped off the Courts.

I can hit with you - I play 4.5s mostly and some 4.0s.

This sounds good. I'll have car/bicycle transportation so moving around won't be an issue. Do you want to exchange info, maybe we meet up for a little rallying? I'm more of a singles player, so perhaps Higgs beach is the place to go.

edit: I see the high school has a bunch of courts as well. from google's satellite photo they look like they've got a nice surface. anybody ever hit there?

FloridaAG
12-11-2009, 12:54 PM
This sounds good. I'll have car/bicycle transportation so moving around won't be an issue. Do you want to exchange info, maybe we meet up for a little rallying? I'm more of a singles player, so perhaps Higgs beach is the place to go.
-apor

Email me at FloridaAg @ gmail com - happy to meet up for a hit - my wife and I play doubles most mornings at Bayview - basically Bayview is the popular place to play, meet people see and be seen etc., and the beach courts if you just want to hit - either place is cool and they are only 5 minutes or so apart - we live about 5 blocks from both courts so can play anywhere.

During your time frame, I will be in town the 19th and 20th and the 24th - 28th

FloridaAG
12-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Apor - good meeting up with you this morning. Tough wind conditions on Higgs Beach, huh? Forgot that Stef's cousins are going to be here on one of the cruise ships and we are touring them around in the morning. I may only get 1 or 2 early sets in if at all - so maybe see you tomorrow, maybe not.

apor
12-25-2009, 05:49 AM
Yes, it was good to hit with the crew and then out in the wind.
i hope Stef's finger is doing well. My apologies again for the errant smash. I guess that lob was coming in faster than I realized.
I'm recovering from an evening of hanging out at the Rum Bar, so I'll be late getting to the courts. maybe see you Saturday then?
apor

Bud
12-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Yes, it was good to hit with the crew and then out in the wind.
i hope Stef's finger is doing well. My apologies again for the errant smash. I guess that lob was coming in faster than I realized.
I'm recovering from an evening of hanging out at the Rum Bar, so I'll be late getting to the courts. maybe see you Saturday then?
apor

you injured his wife? :shock:

FloridaAG
12-25-2009, 12:31 PM
She's fine - we were playng mixed and he hit an overhead that sailed to the baseline and nailed her on her racket hand - no big deal -

apor
12-26-2009, 04:26 AM
you injured his wife? :shock:

yeah, nothing like getting an invite and then beating up on the women. gotta make my presence felt. :oops: