PDA

View Full Version : Please critique our strokes

tennisfan-aus9
12-03-2009, 07:02 PM
We have been playing for about 8 months and have fornightly lessons in a group of eight with one coach for an hour. He told us we that we were NTRP 2.0 and were wondering if any of you could help us with our strokes we are 13 and 14 years old now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfjQKMwmnI8

thanks

sruckauf
12-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Gents, don't take this the wrong way, but that video is kind of unhelpful. I recommend you take a video of yourselves doing something else than trading easy forehands back and forth to each other. I think I saw one of you hit like two backhands, and the other one zero.

In fact, the dude on the far side of the court is so insistent on running around every shot to make sure he hits a forehand, I'd probably rate him a 1.5 just based on the fact that all he can do is hit easy forehands.

Hit some dang backhands, some volleys, and some serves. That would be a useful video. Again, not bashing.. if you want an honest assessment, we need to see more than one small aspect of your strokes.

USERNAME
12-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Overall those groundies dont look to bad at all. For less then a year playing you look ok. I do agree that more of ur game needs to be seen before we can really give u good advice.

12-03-2009, 08:36 PM
We have been playing for about 8 months and have fornightly lessons in a group of eight with one coach for an hour. He told us we that we were NTRP 2.0 and were wondering if any of you could help us with our strokes we are 13 and 14 years old now.

thanks

you guys are better than 2.o, but it would take more to see closer to where you are. probably 3.0 or so.
showing some good power, but really need to get more balls in play.

Andywho
12-03-2009, 11:49 PM
If the kids in that video have been playing for 8 months with only fortnightly lessons I want to know where their coach lives and what are real estate prices like around the tennis courts.

Fed Kennedy
12-04-2009, 12:13 AM
awesome courts. 2.0 sounds about right due to your post count of 1.

Bungalo Bill
12-04-2009, 12:58 AM

thanks

Well it would be very hard for me to rate you at a 2.0. I guess I have a different view of a 2.0.

Of course, I really saw nothing else except a slice that landed short with pretty good form and your backhand on one shot. The other player I am not worried about. If he wants to run around his backhand that is fine. That is a style of play.

I would need to see your serve, backhand, volleys, etc...

It is also hard for me to believe you have only been playing 8 months in group lessons. ;)

Ken Honecker
12-04-2009, 02:20 AM
Young fellas with the proper number of limbs are only 2.0's until they get the price tags off their racquets in my neck of the woods. You seem to have decent form (don't look ackward) but hit a lot of balls into the net. Since it has been over 40 years since I started playing I can't compare you to my early years and my daughters were 16 and 17 when they started so they progressed faster than someone just growing into their body.

Just keep hitting every chance you get and you will have something you can enjoy for the rest of your life.

dozu
12-04-2009, 06:05 AM
2 points -

1. compare this video against the other threads of people asking about what 4.5 or 5.0 looks like, you guys are at least 5.0..... so congratulations.

2. so 8 months + biweekly lessons got you to this level..... hm I wonder where you guys have been hiding.... should have started years earlier, you'be top juniors by now at this rate of progress... so congrats again.

shazbot
12-04-2009, 06:15 AM
I'd say you're about a 1.0, if possible a -2.0.

Really what are you trying to do here? Get a bunch of people to inflate your ego and say you are better than a 2.0? LOL

TROLLING

fruitytennis1
12-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Just showing us your forhand then saying "our coach says we're 2.0" just to inflate your number is very cool. Infact your so cool id rate you a 3.5. Too cool.

benasp
12-04-2009, 08:25 AM
maybe they cannot serve, loose all their serve game to love and get beat by 1.0. Not likely but plausible

BravoRed691
12-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Gosh...have we gone for majorly overinflating our rating to over ummmm deflating (?) our ratings???!!!

sheesh...

I'll continue to let the more qualified individuals do the critiquing but i have to say good hitting for 12 and 14 year olds! Hope you guys are having lot of fun

Nice courts btw :-)

Br

user92626
12-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I thought the shots that went in look like 4.5 or 5. The shots that went into the net look 1.0. So, take your pick.

Storm_Kyori
12-04-2009, 12:12 PM
As others have said, get some more variety into your vids. Hit down the line, crosscourt with the FH & the BH. Hit a few serves. If you don't want to film during a long match, play a tie breaker. I think that should be enough to get all different strokes.

mtommer
12-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Well it's pretty clear from the video that you guys really don't need to worry about ratings. You don't even need critique on your strokes. All you need to do is wait a couple of years and the big game will come with the bigger body.

MichaelChang
12-04-2009, 12:40 PM
These are benchmark 0.0 levels.

Ripper014
12-04-2009, 12:43 PM
I like your strokes better than those of the 4.5's that keeps gettng posted here... you may not be as consistant yet... but that just takes time.

You are looking good to this point... as for your rating it is hard to say... ratings are based on results. Not technical merit.

tennis_balla
12-04-2009, 12:51 PM
I call troll, nice try guys.

Regardless, you'd get your butts whooped by a real coach or if you went to a junior academy with good players to train there.
Too inconsistent, like the winner at the end meant nothing except you broke the rhythm of the rally and made your friend pick up another ball. You gotta learn that its not about blasting the ball back and forth, you're not playing a match. You're rallying and working on your timing, footwork and most importantly your rhythm. 20-30 balls in a row, with good pace. Not 4 or 5 and then a miss. You're just wasting your time and not working on anything.

LeeD
12-04-2009, 03:24 PM
whupped or not, you guys are looking good, moving, hitting with sound strokes, and doing GREAT...
Keep playing, you both have what it takes, whatever that is.
For one year, excellent strokes and movement.

Claudius
12-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Those are some good looking strokes. I'd say you guys are 4.5s. Are you guys nationally ranked?

gameboy
12-04-2009, 03:58 PM
It is very hard for me to believe that these kids have only played for 8 months. People who have played that short do not have that kind of variety in shots.

skyzoo
12-04-2009, 04:32 PM
.5 maybe....

Gee Willikers Batman!
12-04-2009, 05:02 PM
The fact that you said your coach told you that you are a 2.0 makes me believe troll, what 'seals the deal' is the fact that in the video after hitting an unintentional winner, you say "Did you get that?"

-_-

Claudius
12-04-2009, 05:08 PM
It is very hard for me to believe that these kids have only played for 8 months. People who have played that short do not have that kind of variety in shots.

I'm calling a BS on that too. More than likely, these guys probably started playing when they were around 5.

Gee Willikers Batman!
12-04-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm calling a BS on that too. More than likely, these guys probably started playing when they were around 5.

Nah, probably 13-14.

teppeiahn1
12-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Young kids learn fast.

cant believe someone said 1.5

Blake0
12-04-2009, 08:53 PM
The fact that you said your coach told you that you are a 2.0 makes me believe troll, what 'seals the deal' is the fact that in the video after hitting an unintentional winner, you say "Did you get that?"

-_-

Don't forget the fact they look around 15-16..atleast.

jeremy734
12-06-2009, 08:13 PM
i wish i was could be that good at 14 years old :D

awesome video:D:D:D

Bungalo Bill
12-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Young kids learn fast.

cant believe someone said 1.5
They can learn fast, however, as my first post indicated, the players that improve that quick are few and far between, they are also discovered, promoted, playing tournaments and not in group lessons.

Anyway, what do I know. lol