PDA

View Full Version : YOUR NUMBERS: If federer could be 2005-6 version next season what would happen ?

sheq
12-04-2009, 05:27 AM
Imagine that roger federer 2005-or 2006 version shows up ( arguably one of the best performance in the history during a season ) in 2010 season what would happen then ? With biggest treads nadal, djokovic, murray, and del potro

secondly cilic, verdasco, tsonga, soderling and other old friends kolya, roddick, hewwit.

Its my prediction:

GRAND SLAMS: He definetely would win us open, wimbledon and possibly AO open. However he would fail at the RG final against nadal ( ı expect a monster nadal during the clay court season especially at RG ) That makes 4 finals and 3 slams.

NO 1: He would end up the season as the world no 1, but not with a wide margin like he did at his peak years. However, definetely bigger margin than this year.

MASTERS: He would win 2 or 3 masters because the field is so strong in these days that no chance to win more than 3 masters.

TITLES: He might win 10 or more titles. 3 slams, 3 masters, Halle, Basel, Estroil and maybe a couple of more.

YEC: I dont know about that. Maybe he would lose YEC because of other players quality and best of three sets.

And finally he would lose more than 10 matches. However he would prevail head to head against every other players expect nadal. We already know that nadal creates problem aginst the best roger federer but the other ones ı dont think so because you cant beat that roger standing on baseline and trust your groundstrokes if you are not rafael nadal.

Anaconda
12-04-2009, 05:30 AM
Silly thread. Very Silly. So silly infact that the thread on Sampras winning another slam is 10000 x more intelligent than this thread.

Reasoning: It's never going to happen!!!

sheq
12-04-2009, 05:50 AM
Silly thread. Very Silly. So silly infact that the thread on Sampras winning another slam is 10000 x more intelligent than this thread.

I dont agree just because ı made this thread to discuss how would be the competition like ? We might predict next season and we do this through so many other threads but with adding up best of federer it is much more open

cucio
12-04-2009, 05:58 AM
NIGHTS OF PEACEFUL SLEEP: probably a few more, since he wouldn't have twins. :rolleyes:

P_Agony
12-04-2009, 06:16 AM
I think the results would be very similar to 2005-2006, with Federer winning most grand slams and most tourneys in general. The likes of Del Potro and Djokovic have nothing against a top-form Federer (as we've seen even in 2008-2009 where Fed was below top form), and the ones who'd give him trouble are the same ones who beat him 2006 - Nadal and Murray.

Soderling, Verdasco and Tsonga (no, one fluke win does not count) have got nothing on Federer even today, so imagine the beatings they would get from a top form Federer.

dh003i
12-04-2009, 06:18 AM
I don't think the results would be much different than in 2006. 3 slams almost for sure, insane win % (although I think he'd lose a few more matches), nearly as many titles elsewhere. The only difference is, I think he'd have a much better chance at the FO. I don't think Nadal will again reach the level he was at on clay. He'll always be great on the surface, probably the favorite at the FO (depending on how the season unfolds), but never as strong as before.

Yea, I agree with P Agony, a top form Federer would not have much risk of losing to Del Potro. He was serving awful at the USO vs. Delpo, and it still went to 5 sets (plus his baseline play isn't as great or consistent as it was in 2006). 2006 Federer would probably would have won the USO 2009 in 3 sets, and AO 2009 in 4.

P_Agony
12-04-2009, 06:18 AM

Well, it isn't such a silly thread, because Fed DID show signs of his 2006 form this year, especially in Cincy, and when he's in that form, even the likes of Murray and Djokovic can't hurt him. If he could only reach that level more consistently he'd dominate the tour once more.

Marshredder
12-04-2009, 06:22 AM
I think last seasons performance is pretty much best case scenario for Fed this year. The competition's hotting up and I fully expect to see Nadal back to 2007/2008 standard as well. Nadals battling confidence, but with the off season and a Davis Cup win, im sure he'll be back, and I expect him to overtake Agassi's GS record before long.

bruce38
12-04-2009, 06:27 AM
Calendar slam guaranteed.

sheq
12-04-2009, 06:35 AM
Well, it isn't such a silly thread, because Fed DID show signs of his 2006 form this year, especially in Cincy, and when he's in that form, even the likes of Murray and Djokovic can't hurt him. If he could only reach that level more consistently he'd dominate the tour once more.

Actually, ı agree with its never going to happen part because federer wont be at 24,25 or 26 years old once more.

However he can raise his game again and win 1 or 2 slams with other couple of titles but cant reach the level of his absolute best

matchmaker
12-04-2009, 06:56 AM
A 29 year old can never be the same as a 25 year old, especially in tennis.

Fed is half a step slower and he makes more UE's as a consequence thereof.

He will have to learn to live with that and find a way around it. That is what makes tennis such an interesting sport and that is why someone like Sampras was a great champion. Even with thalassia minor and an aging body, he was able to change from all court to S and V strategy and pick his moments to break the opponent.

Anaconda
12-04-2009, 07:02 AM

Federer did dominate this year, he got to all 4 Slam finals and could have won a 4. Murray can't touch Federer playing anything above decent and Djokovic didn't show any fight.

People are acting like this year for Federer has been a complete disaster!!!

Federer showed 'signs' in the madrid and Wimbledon final, but appart from that he only played really good everywhere else.

To be honest, i don't think Federer's level has dropped as what people are saying. I don't even think players have improved (except Nadal) since 2005; Federer just has players who are tough matchups.