PDA

View Full Version : Advice about Tournament Quick!!!

Blade0324
12-04-2009, 11:12 AM
I apologize this is a little long but need your input here.

I am playing in a tournament that starts tonight and goes through Monday night. I am playing both men's dubs and mixed. Our oponents for mixed tomorrow evening emailed today stating that "they had something come up" and cannot play at the scheduled time of 7:15. They want to know if we would be willing to reschedule for 7AM Sunday offsite at a different location. (the tournament can't give us any other times due to it being a large draw)

My dilemma is this. I will be playing 2 men's matches on Sat. at 11:30 and 3:30. Then if we are to win there and if we would win mixed at 7:15 on Sat. I have the possibility of playing 2 mixed and 2 more men's matches on Sunday. By rescheduling the match from Sat. I would face the potential to have to play 5 tournament matches in one day. I don't want to be rude to the opponents but I am not willing to put myself in that situation. I would like to suggest to them that I can play either before or after the scheduled time on Sat. to try and be accomodating.

Am I being reasonable with my not being willing to reschedule for Sunday?

Ripper014
12-04-2009, 11:24 AM

I am playing in a tournament that starts tonight and goes through Monday night. I am playing both men's dubs and mixed. Our oponents for mixed tomorrow evening emailed today stating that "they had something come up" and cannot play at the scheduled time of 7:15. They want to know if we would be willing to reschedule for 7AM Sunday offsite at a different location. (the tournament can't give us any other times due to it being a large draw)

My dilemma is this. I will be playing 2 men's matches on Sat. at 11:30 and 3:30. Then if we are to win there and if we would win mixed at 7:15 on Sat. I have the possibility of playing 2 mixed and 2 more men's matches on Sunday. By rescheduling the match from Sat. I would face the potential to have to play 5 tournament matches in one day. I don't want to be rude to the opponents but I am not willing to put myself in that situation. I would like to suggest to them that I can play either before or after the scheduled time on Sat. to try and be accomodating.

Nope absolutely not.... they are the ones unable to play match at the appointed time, you are not even required other possible times. But in saying that... I join touraments to play. Since the match is playing off site... why not play it tonight... playing on Saturday would still have you playing 4 matches. But in the end whatever you decide... you are accomadating your opponent more than you are required to. I always felt this puts you in a bad situation... it should be addressed by tournament officals and not those competing.

JavierLW
12-04-2009, 11:25 AM

You would be reasonable not to play.

Is that a round robin draw or something? The only real reason to play is if it screws up the tournament. (I had that once when there was only 3 teams in a division, it's pretty lame of one of the 3 teams pulls out leaving ONE match to decide the whole thing)

Otherwise THEY are the ones who are not being reasonable if they expect you to reschedule considering you DO have other stuff going on yourself. (you're playing in men's)

If people sign up for tournaments they need to commit to playing. If they REALLY wanted to play they wouldnt let "other stuff come up".

Blade0324
12-04-2009, 11:31 AM
I appreciate the feedback so far. It is not a round robin draw there are 22 teams in the mixed draw.
Ripper14, good idea to also suggest tonight. However the lady from the other team is also playing womens dubs and is playing a tournament match tonight so that kind of eliminates that.

any other feedback is appreciated before I respond to them.

JavierLW
12-04-2009, 11:36 AM
I appreciate the feedback so far. It is not a round robin draw there are 22 teams in the mixed draw.
Ripper14, good idea to also suggest tonight. However the lady from the other team is also playing womens dubs and is playing a tournament match tonight so that kind of eliminates that.

It's a bracket draw?

I wonder how they can even let you delay it a full day then without screwing up everyone else in the draw?

Im surprised that the coordinator even allows that. It's unfortunate that they even stuck you in the position of saying no and being the "bad person", but even still, Id just decline. It's not your fault they went and made other plans, no sense punishing yourself for it.

I had a similar situation a couple summers ago but like I said there were only 3 teams in the draw so I played anyway just so it wouldnt be lame (and so we'd get 2 matches). With 22 teams at least you'll still get to play mixed and it shouldnt be that big of a deal if you get a bye.

Ripper014
12-04-2009, 11:37 AM

In that case... I think you are more than reasonable to offer them times you would be willing to play... and let them get back to you. Otherwise... just accept the walkover. It is not your fault they commit to play a tournament and then not be available.

sphinx780
12-07-2009, 07:28 AM
What'd the final verdict end up being? How'd the tourney go?

vandre
12-07-2009, 07:45 AM
What'd the final verdict end up being? How'd the tourney go?

yeah blade,

i found this on monday morning, but i don't think you're being unreasonable for not wanting to play at the crack of dawn on sunday morning.

i personally have other places to be on a sunday morning other than a tennis court so i can understand why you wouldn't want to reschedule for then. especially since all they apparently tell you is that "something came up". i'd call shenanigans.

yup, i'd just like to know which side of the fence you came down on.

Blade0324
12-08-2009, 07:35 AM
So we did in fact win the match that led up to the one that our opponents wanted to reschedule. The next round still wanted to play the next day (Sunday) at 7 am off site. I said no and our opponents withdrew and my partner and I got the walkover. It's a shame as they were the #1 seed and I would have loved to kick their butts.

sphinx780
12-08-2009, 07:44 AM
It's a shame they didn't properly allot the time for a tourney they signed up for. I think you made the right call.

No way in hell I'm getting up at 7am to play a match unless it's required by a tourney. Now if they are willing to play at 11pm...that might be a different story :)

Blade0324
12-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Just as a side note we did end up making the finals and lost a close one there. Not a bad showing over all.