PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Stringing References

Jagman
12-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Not too long ago, IIRC, there was a post regarding recommended string tension for playing in colder weather. The season is definitely upon us, with wet, cooler weather prevailing even here in the South.

At any rate, my son will be playing in tournament tomorrow (boy's 16 singles) and I will be restringing his racquet tonight after a lesson. The temperature range has been from mid-30's early in the morning to a high in the low-50's. Assuming there is no rain delay, of course, as that is in the forecast, too.

I did a search on the forum for threads dealing with "cold weather stringing". The most pertinent hits, IMO, are as follows:

Is It the Weather's Fault?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=173911

Strings for Cold Weather
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=224212

Tension Difference Winter to Summer
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=262018

I thought I would throw these out to save others who are similarly interested some time. Also, if anyone else has some thoughts on seasonal setups or favorite winter season strings/tensions, this might be a good place to share them.

I'll probably go with a poly hybrid at reduced tension or a full multi at regular tension for tomorrow depending upon how tonight's lesson went; he normally hits a Luxillon (ALU Power or Rough) hybrid at 60 lbs in a Pure Drive standard.

Cheers!

[d]ragon
12-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Does he have multiple racquets? If hes got 2 or more, string some at the normal tension and others abit lower, and some abit higher just in case. If not, I would suggest just stringing with his normal string and tension. And probably buy him another atleast because if he plays tournaments, he definitely should have atleast 1 back-up incase he breaks a string.

Jagman
12-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Yes, he has two racquets now, with more on the way. As it happens, he was very happy with the way he was hitting tonight and doesn't want to change anything, even though he is getting close to the limit, IMO, with his current stringjob. He presently has a full bed of ALU Rough that was strung up by the club where he takes lessons at 70 lbs (my wife was with him that day and just knew that we strung it high). I would have thought that would feel like a board tonight at 45 degrees, but my son obviously felt otherwise.

His second racquet is set up with a PH/N.Vy hybrid at 60/58, so he will have two sticks with varying tension arrangements. There will also be time between his first and second matches to restring, if need be.

Thanks for the suggestion, [d]ragon.

Cheers!

stoble
12-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Tennis balls feel harder in the cold too IMO.

[d]ragon
12-04-2009, 06:04 PM
NP Jagman. 70 lb.s?! Very high tension. Make sure his arm doesn't fall off :)

edman9898
12-04-2009, 07:50 PM
thanks for sharing the posts, I've wondered about this too as I live in East Texas. Where in TX do you live Jagman?

fuzz nation
12-05-2009, 07:57 AM
I do some high school coaching in southern New England and in the last few years I've seen a couple of the sluggers around here come down with full blown cases of tennis elbow that sidelined them for a long stretch. Usually these killers were using poly at least as a hybrid in their frames.

Just wanted to point out that while your son may be feeling more or less bullet-proof in his warrior years, he's not immune to arm issues and putting a notoriously unresilient type of string in his frames at seriously high tension is a risk. TE is considered to be a cumulative sort of injury, so while I'm not trying to say that the boy is doomed or anything, I encourage you to keep close tabs on how he's feeling with that setup. If some chronic twinges start to show up in his arm, you'd be smart to shift to a softer layout.

Jagman
12-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Today was actually half decent. Temperature reached a high of 51 F, although it was quite windy. The rain held off entirely and was only partly cloudy. Temps dropped considerably after dusk, however, and the wind was stil brisk enough for windchill to be a factor.

My son played with the Pure Drive at 70 lbs with ALU Rough. Wouldn't have been my choice but he did all right, winning all of his matches. He'll play in the final tomorrow against his best friend and practice partner. Should be a good match as they usually bring out the best in each other.

For those playing, it must have seemed warm enough, as everyone opted for shorts, even into the evening. You could tell by ear that the stringbeds had all tightened up. According to all the players that I talked to, the balls felt heavy and dead. My son made good use of slice off both sides and played an unusual number of dropshots and drop volleys. While not his style (usually more of the brash overhitter), it was good thinking as the balls just didn't come up at all.

I am watching him closely playing with that stiff of a setup. However, he claims to feel fine. We normally string around 60; 70 lbs is an aberration. Unfortunately, it was an emergency stringjob that my wife had done at the club with good intentions. We paid a premium for both the string and the stringing. My son definitely got the lecture on why his second racquet and bag should accompany him to the lesson court. The ALU Rough will be cut out after tomorrow's match as, IMO, it is already operating on borrowed time for a poly.

He'll be transitioning to the PDGT after the holidays. I've already decided we'll string one up with a good poly in the mid-40's. My son has hit with some of the racquets that I've been experimenting with in that tension range, and offered some positive feedback.

I did a very unscientific poll of the kids I knew regarding whether they altered string selection or tension at all in anticipation of colder weather. None did, nor had any considered that the cold might have an impact on their play (aside from being miserable, that is). Everyone did say that they hated to play in the cold (no surprise there). Nevertheless, IMO, the better players did adapt admirably to the lower bounce of the ball and effectiveness of underspin, given the court conditions that pertained throughout the day.

BTW, we're in Georgia, not Texas. Texas isn't the South, it's .... well, it's just Texas. But what do I know, I'm originally from just north of the Mason-Dixon Line. I'm just a transplanted yankee trying to adjust to the finer points of life on the plantation.:)

edman9898
12-05-2009, 08:06 PM
BTW, we're in Georgia, not Texas. Texas isn't the South, it's .... well, it's just Texas. But what do I know, I'm originally from just north of the Mason-Dixon Line. I'm just a transplanted yankee trying to adjust to the finer points of life on the plantation.:)

Bahahahaha. LOL Texas is definitely the South! I love your quote about being a transplanted Yankee! LOL