PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else not that sensitive to strings?

Mansewerz
12-04-2009, 09:06 PM
I've been using synthetic gut pretty much my whole tennis playing career.

I can feel the difference when I put some new strings in (like fresh difference), but i'm honestly not that sensitive to strings.

The only things I've used are various synthetic guts and Maxim touch. The Maxim touch feels nice (see sig), but I think it's also because I strung OG micro at 60 last time (I could tell that was boardy)

Do i need to try different strings to actually feel a difference (not that i'm hating the feel or looking for a new setup), or am I just not string sensitive?

lawlitssoo1n
12-04-2009, 09:36 PM
well i guess trying other strings is to see if you play better w/ them. i used to use only prince topspin or wilson kgut on my n90. and hten tried pro supex preimer ace, got MAJOR spin and then switched to polys

Mansewerz
12-04-2009, 09:52 PM
I have a reel of big ace and i'm thinking of trying it at like 50 lbs (OG micro crosses).

mutantducky
12-04-2009, 10:57 PM
been messing around with multis and syn after giving up polys. I can feel the difference between rip control and gosen but no biggie for me. gosen works just fine and rip I will use again. going to try some others as well. I was a string snob for a while but never again. I'm going to beat them anyways. :twisted:

COPEY
12-05-2009, 05:55 AM
If you have two identical racquets try this (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Forten_Kevlar_Thin_Blend_String/descpageACFORTEN-THIN.html) in one and anything else in the other and you'll feel the difference for sure. I put this in my son's Ozone 7. His other racquet (also a Ozone 7) has a full bed of MSV Focus Hex. Huge difference in power and feel. Both strings allow you to conjure up spin with relative ease, but that Thin Blend's spin is pretty darn impressive.

Even if you don't own identical racquets you'll still feel the difference, but with the same types of racquets you don't have to wonder if part of what you're feeling is associated with the difference in frame characteristics.

Mansewerz
12-05-2009, 12:48 PM
If you have two identical racquets try this (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Forten_Kevlar_Thin_Blend_String/descpageACFORTEN-THIN.html) in one and anything else in the other and you'll feel the difference for sure. I put this in my son's Ozone 7. His other racquet (also a Ozone 7) has a full bed of MSV Focus Hex. Huge difference in power and feel. Both strings allow you to conjure up spin with relative ease, but that Thin Blend's spin is pretty darn impressive.

Even if you don't own identical racquets you'll still feel the difference, but with the same types of racquets you don't have to wonder if part of what you're feeling is associated with the difference in frame characteristics.

That might be it. I think i need to try them side by side (which means i'll need to get another AG100!)

And I think i'll stay away from Kevlar, I like having feel in my string bed (I enjoy coming up to net).

mikeler
12-05-2009, 01:04 PM
I like regular synthetic gut best. Most of the self stringing guys I play use it since we can all restring often for cheap. Tried a few multis but did not get wowed by them. Had my poly kick this year and my elbow has ended that relationship. Before I bought my stringer, I used Kevlar in the mains and it was so so. In summary, strings matter for me.

MakeSenseNotBabies
12-05-2009, 02:40 PM
no one is sensitive to strings. it's all a big hype. 99.999999999999999999999 percent of the people on here won't be able to tell a difference of 15lbs in tension, or the material of their string. it's all in their head. of course they'll respond with the usual "hahaha, lol., sure i can." but, when you ask them to do an experiment, they won't. there've been lab tests that demonstrate how insensitive people are to string tension. etc.

Kenny022593
12-05-2009, 04:13 PM
I am not relaly sensitive i just think that Cyber Flash can give me more spin then Forten Nylon

mikeler
12-05-2009, 06:41 PM
no one is sensitive to strings. it's all a big hype. 99.999999999999999999999 percent of the people on here won't be able to tell a difference of 15lbs in tension, or the material of their string. it's all in their head. of course they'll respond with the usual "hahaha, lol., sure i can." but, when you ask them to do an experiment, they won't. there've been lab tests that demonstrate how insensitive people are to string tension. etc.

Please provide data to backup your assertions.

dancraig
12-05-2009, 08:37 PM
The emperor has no clothes.

THESEXPISTOL
12-06-2009, 10:45 AM

You must be the biggest noob in these boards..
If you lower my tensions 4lbs i realise imediatly because my balls are flying long.