Omega_7000
12-05-2009, 03:53 AM
False .

aphex
12-05-2009, 04:02 AM
maybe not the best quality, but definitely the most interesting slam

T-ennis 888
12-05-2009, 04:04 AM
Andre always said the Aussie Open was the hardest slam to win as it was usually the most physically demanding of the four over a fortnight. As for which of the four produces the highest quality tennis - that's a real toughie :???:

dropshot winner
12-05-2009, 04:05 AM
I don't know, but Simon vs. Monfils this year was probably the worst match of the open era.

malakas
12-05-2009, 04:06 AM
It's the most exciting slam imo,and always produces some if not the best matches of the season.So probably yes.

THESEXPISTOL
12-05-2009, 04:07 AM
true! 10chars

featherlight
12-05-2009, 04:18 AM
wimbledon is the best

Telepatic
12-05-2009, 04:21 AM
In my opinion it is, because most of the players are fresh psycho-physically after winter break and because there is no tie break in 5th as well.

aphex
12-05-2009, 04:25 AM
In my opinion it is, because most of the players are fresh psycho-physically after winter break and because there is no tie break in 5th as well.

there isnt a tie break in the 5th in all slams except the usopen

aphex
12-05-2009, 04:26 AM
I don't know, but Simon vs. Monfils this year was probably the worst match of the open era.

what happened?

sh@de
12-05-2009, 04:56 AM
what happened?

I don't know, but if you hear those two names... presumably they just rallied forever with nothing exciting going on? :?

aphex
12-05-2009, 04:58 AM
I don't know, but if you hear those two names... presumably they just rallied forever with nothing exciting going on? :?

lol...it sounds like a 16 hour snoozefest...

Bloodshed
12-05-2009, 05:01 AM
lol...it sounds like a 16 hour snoozefest...

A pusher vs pusher match is possibly the worst kind of match you could possibly see.

The only exceptions that pusher vs pusher is interesting is aggressive Monfils vs Nadal (Doha 09) and aggressive Murray vs Nadal (USO 08).

It's like the pushers loses faith in their pushing skills vs Nadal :D

malakas
12-05-2009, 05:09 AM

awww come on!It's the cuttie vs the crazy celebration!!!Can't be that boring.

lawrence
12-05-2009, 05:15 AM
best crowd
best chicks
best weather
best court

WHAT MORE COULD U WANT

Cantankersore
12-05-2009, 05:38 AM
Roddick/El-Aynaoui was a priddy righteous match.

malakas
12-05-2009, 05:40 AM
best crowd
best chicks
best weather
best court

WHAT MORE COULD U WANT

a suprise finalist and even why not slam winner again!Preferably his name to start with B and end with aghdatis.

Spider
12-05-2009, 05:50 AM
I don't agree. The AO is at very odd hours so not many people get a chance to watch it, so many of us cannot judge the quality of tennis because of this fact. WImbledon and US open are the best in my opinion, you can watch very high quality tennis at both these events.

Bloodshed
12-05-2009, 05:53 AM
What I love about the AO is the fact that there's always a Dark Horse that goes far into a Slam.

However I despise watching matches live in the middle of the night :(

But if I watch a match later on, those stupid SportCenter commercials will tell me who the hell won the match. Idiots!

mikro112
12-05-2009, 05:57 AM
Yes!

10char

Spider
12-05-2009, 05:58 AM
What I love about the AO is the fact that there's always a Dark Horse that goes far into a Slam.

However I despise watching matches live in the middle of the night :(

But if I watch a match later on, those stupid SportCenter commercials will tell me who the hell won the match. Idiots!

Thats the main issue, I believe they should move the open to some place else so that people aren't affected and all quality tennis is watched by everyone.

lawrence
12-05-2009, 06:05 AM
Thats the main issue, I believe they should move the open to some place else so that people aren't affected and all quality tennis is watched by everyone.

Move a whole slam so a few TV viewers can watch in prime time as opposed to late night where all the REAL DEDICATED tennis fans would stay up to watch?

Not gonna happen :p

Spider
12-05-2009, 06:08 AM
Move a whole slam so a few TV viewers can watch in prime time as opposed to late night where all the REAL DEDICATED tennis fans would stay up to watch?

Not gonna happen :p

I think it would be better viewing for all of us. It gets very tiring watching the AO because of the timing difference.

Telepatic
12-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Even though its hard for me to stay watching during night it makes my atmosphere in room much more tense.

fps
12-05-2009, 06:35 AM

yeah let's screw over the australians instead of the brits. tennis must conform to us.

ridiculous arrogance!!

phoenicks
12-05-2009, 07:42 AM
I don't agree. The AO is at very odd hours so not many people get a chance to watch it, so many of us cannot judge the quality of tennis because of this fact. WImbledon and US open are the best in my opinion, you can watch very high quality tennis at both these events.

Ooo, so u judge the quality of tennis based on slam that you watch and not all th slam,sounds like a very wise judgement to me :shock:

phoenicks
12-05-2009, 07:45 AM

ohh, you sounded as if there's no ppl staying in asia, and if there's any, they don't watch tennis at all. did u fail your geography, ignorant or are u plain arrogant ???

dropshot winner
12-05-2009, 07:55 AM
what happened?

The match-up itself is horrible, but to make it worse the heat was brutal and Monfils injured, on top of that those two are friends and decided not to push each other, but to push together.

In the end it was a moonball-push-fest in slow-motion with lots of errors, ending in a retirement.

RCizzle65
12-05-2009, 10:21 AM

In this topic: Everyone in the whole world who watches tennis lives in the United States

Cody
12-05-2009, 11:00 AM

Are you kidding me.

This really ****es me off, the aussie open is the only slam that i get to enjoy to the fullest and nothing will take that away from me.

Please leave it alone.

Joseph L. Barrow
12-05-2009, 12:29 PM
I think Wimbledon produces the best quality. It's hard to believe the consistent level of performance we've been seeing there in the late rounds over the last few years. The Australian is less predictable, but a little more hit-or-miss quality-wise, in my opinion.

veroniquem
12-05-2009, 12:33 PM
True or False?
False. It's early in the season, so a lot of top players aren't completely sharp yet. It's actually the easiest slam to win for underdogs. (NOT meaning that all winners were underdogs, just meaning that if a less well ranked player (or a surprise player like Tsonga) were to win a slam, AO would probably be the most likely).
This being said, it did produce a slew of remarkable and dramatic matches over the years.

dozu
12-05-2009, 12:35 PM
it is prolly true among the majors.

players come back from a break and are physically fresh.

the court surface offer true bounces.

not windy as Flushing.

Blinkism
12-05-2009, 12:56 PM

Yeah, and while we're at it, let's put all 4 slams in the UK.

P_Agony
12-05-2009, 01:12 PM
I think the AO produces some of the best matches, yes. It's my 2nd favorite slam (after USO).

clayman2000
12-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Nadal vs Verdasco
Roddick vs Elanoywi
Safin vs Federer

Nuff said

FlamEnemY
12-05-2009, 02:19 PM
I agree, the quality is very high. Plus, you can see different styles...

dlk
12-05-2009, 02:21 PM

I concur. Everyone fresh off the break, new/recent coaching adjustments. It's exciting. I believe any of the slams would be there if in same time slot (obviously the others are in opposite hemisphere at this time). I do like the no tiebreak 5th set rule.

RCizzle65
12-05-2009, 02:41 PM
But on topic, yes players are physically and mentally fresh, so there are always dark horses who's talents really show. Just look at Nadal's semi and final matches this year if your questioning the quality of tennis.

msc886
12-05-2009, 03:35 PM

I could say the same for Wimbledon, yet I still stay up and watch it. There are other countries in the world.

kishnabe
12-05-2009, 04:46 PM
I like the atmosphere of the Aussie open,it feels nice being there. Definetly produces amazing and su[rising tennis like the 2005 semi's of Safin vs Federer. Was pure excitement. Possibly the only match i can see mulitple times. The surface looks pretty good too and it random every year. This year it was Nadal first, last year tsonga. I like to see everyone win slams, and aussie open possibly has the best chance for anyone since everyone is fresh but the one's who trully prepared shine out in the end. Like verdasco this year. I can't wait to know who would be the dark horse next year. Maybe Gulbis!

aimr75
12-05-2009, 04:58 PM
AO is my favourite, but im biased since i live in melbourne.. Wimbledon is a close second

Its a great feeling actually being there.. not just watching matches, but even just walking around watching players practice etc.. im fortunate enough to have gotten good seats to 2 quarter final night sessions and ground passes for 2 days for 2010.. cant wait :)

tacou
12-05-2009, 05:08 PM
maybe not quality but definitely in excitement/interesting match ups and story lines.

staying up late is the best part. plus, re runs are on all the next day, just don't go on the computer. I personally love watching an intense 5th set at 4am

edmondsm
12-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Some players are fresh and in shape and produce great tennis at the AO, others are not ready for the heat and they produce garbage matches.

matchmaker
12-05-2009, 06:27 PM
False, evey slam produces different types of strategies and that is what makes tennis so interesting.

Although what makes the AO interesting is that the surface is a middle ground between the faster and slower ones, so everyone can play his game on it.

borg number one
12-05-2009, 06:54 PM
I think that in terms of pure "cache"/prestige, I think it's Wimbledon (great matches with what's on the line and sheer drama), followed by the US Open/French Open (VERY close at 2-3). Yet, the Australian does produce some very high quality tennis in my opinion in terms of just plain amazing points.

There tend to be purer bounces at the AO than at either Wimbledon or the French Open. There is also less "wind interference" and noise at the AO than at the US Open.

Plus, at the AO, compared to the French Open, you don't have the "complexity" involved with sliding, or the strange bounces and grueling physicality of Red Clay.

So, yes, because of those reasons, some of the very best matches in terms of overall quality are at the Australian Open. Overall, there seem to be fewer unforced errors there than at the other Grand Slams, but I could be wrong about that.

crackbillionair
12-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Andre always said the Aussie Open was the hardest slam to win as it was usually the most physically demanding of the four over a fortnight. As for which of the four produces the highest quality tennis - that's a real toughie :???:

Andre said it, huh? Obviously, the most physically demanding slam is the USO. It's the hardest surface, and the tourny comes at the end of the season, unlike the AO, which is played a couple of weeks after the offseason in which players train and rest. Andre would say that, since that is the slam where he had the most success. But he says a lot of stupid things. This is a guy who skipped Wimbledon because he's a coward and said it was because they wouldn't let him wear...spandexy type 'clothing.'

fps
12-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Andre said it, huh? Obviously, the most physically demanding slam is the USO. It's the hardest surface, and the tourny comes at the end of the season, unlike the AO, which is played a couple of weeks after the offseason in which players train and rest. Andre would say that, since that is the slam where he had the most success. But he says a lot of stupid things. This is a guy who skipped Wimbledon because he's a coward and said it was because they wouldn't let him wear...spandexy type 'clothing.'

USO is a fast surface.

the french is the most physically demanding surface to play on at any time. AO may be hardest for the players because they aren't match-tough/ match-fit after a brief off-season.

nfor304
12-06-2009, 02:22 AM
Interesting and exciting matches definitely, but highest quality? No way...

How many times has an outsider gone deep into the tournament on the back of some extra hard early season practice only to fade back into their normal results when everyone else hits their peak level?

Clement, Baghdatis, Schuttler, Kiefer, Johnasson even Safin in 2005

Basically the entire field are not at their peak level yet when the aus open rolls around and the annual outsider going deep into the draw shows just how unprepared most of the players are

GOATPARERA
12-06-2009, 02:25 AM
Agassi says its the hawrdest slam to win, yet 4 of his 8 slam victories were Down Under lol :D

THUNDERVOLLEY
12-06-2009, 03:31 AM
"The Australian Open produces the highest quality tennis" True or False?

False. Any other view is pure comedy.

Seany
12-06-2009, 03:47 AM
Interesting responses, the reason I asked this question is because the other day I was watching all the grand slam semi-finals and finals of 2009 on my PC.

In 2009 the AO semi's and final far outweighed the quality of tennis in any of the other slams. There were patches in the AO final which raised the barrier of what I thought was possible in tennis. Simply amazing.

Carsomyr
12-06-2009, 03:55 AM
Agassi says its the hawrdest slam to win, yet 4 of his 8 slam victories were Down Under lol :D

Agassi sure had to tough out some barn-burners against Arnaud Clement (http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/content/images/2007/06/19/14_arnaud_clement_362x450.jpg) and Rainer Schuettler (http://championships.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_04_schuettler_23_afp_g_kirk.jpg).

borg number one
12-06-2009, 03:59 AM
Yeah, that Federer-Nadal AO final was mesmerizing tennis for sure. I honestly think that Nadal reached a level during the match that Federer simply could not match, no matter what he tried/did. That may be why he was so upset after losing. Deep down he was very worried about future prospects, and that was coupled with a very tough, close loss.

I don't hold it against Federer in any way, in that he's just very emotionally invested in his career and all the matches he plays at this stage. Nadal, after that heavyweight bout with Verdasco, simply took it up about 2-3 MORE LEVELS from there. That was an amazing match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9ScrTI_WQE

cucio
12-06-2009, 05:29 AM
Dunno if it will stay that way, but the last few years it has been the one which produced a higher amount of interesting matches.

I think this is partly because of the players being fresh after the vacation, but also, and no one has pointed it out yet, because it has the most neutral surface of all slams, so all players can play up to their strengths (serving, retrieving, variety, defense, offense...) and be successful or put up a serious fight.

GOATPARERA
12-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Agassi seemed to struggle at the US Open the most, at least in his last 2 Finals, he was physical worn out entering both (v Sampras and Federer). Even in the 1999 US Open he was made to work really hard v Todd Martin. So I'd be surprised if Agassi really thought the Australian Open was harder than the US Open. And then there's the French Open....never easy. Wimbledon is the type of slam you can cruise through with a nice draw and there aren't many great grasscourters anymore.

crackbillionair
12-06-2009, 05:00 PM
USO is a fast surface.

the french is the most physically demanding surface to play on at any time. AO may be hardest for the players because they aren't match-tough/ match-fit after a brief off-season.

USO is a fast surface...true indeed. It's also a hard surface. Hard on the knees, the joints, the ankles...very hard, after going through 8 months of tennis season.

There are several warmups to the AO. Nobody is going there cold turkey. So forget that.

RG? Softest court slam. You may have to run more, but it isn't killing your body.

Kunohara
12-06-2009, 05:04 PM
For me it's
1) Wimbledon
2) RG
3) AO
4) USO

JeMar
12-06-2009, 05:07 PM
It's not about your personal favorite grand slam, it's about the slam with the best tennis.

ogruskie
12-06-2009, 05:12 PM
I download a lot of youtube highlights to ipod, and find that the majority of clips I have are from the Australian Open. It really produces some interesting match-ups.

obsessedtennisfandisorder
12-07-2009, 07:14 PM

i never understand these kind of arguments, people live all over the world.

For me and many posters on here...we have to get up at ridiculous hours
to watch wimby and/or US open...but I definitely don't complain...because
if you are a true tennis fan...you will make time for it. for example, wimby
final I sleep in a long time that morning knowing I will stay up late etc..
just reorganise a little. and yeah..i have to see it live because it has an urgency tape delay doesn't have.