PDA

View Full Version : drills for backhand

itracbui3
12-05-2009, 12:26 PM
what are somedrills to increase consistency for the backhand and decreases framing the ball?

LeeD
12-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Hit a million backhands against either an adversary who's a wall or a wall itself.

KenC
12-05-2009, 10:41 PM
A million balls is a good start. I would only add that you have to hit a consistent target with those million balls. In many of my practices I hit every backhand to say the ad court corner, no matter how it arrived to me. Then after I started nailing shots I would switch the target to the deuce court corner. Then I would send every shot right down the middle. Then rinse and repeat with the backhand slice.

My point is, anyone can learn how to hit a backhand eventually, but few can really precisely direct where their backhands go. I've played against players who can only hit crosscourt on the backhand, and it makes life so much easier for their opponents, since they know where backhands will end up.

fruitytennis1
12-06-2009, 07:05 AM
I find that people who lack in the backhand often lack in footwork(not saying you necessarily) The miss that last 1 or 2 steps which often makes their shot somewhat unbalanced(unbalanced = inconsistant in how you hit it) Its not the stroke itself always.

LeeD
12-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Sometimes, after I do something a million times, I can not only direct it different directions, but I've figured out (by osmosis, vids, TV, other players) how to move my feet correctly. But only after a million.