PDA

View Full Version : Video: 2 hand or 1 handed backhand?

willroc7
12-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Greetings. I recently switched to a one handed backhand after played with 2 hands since I started playing 10+ years ago (yes, I should be much better than I am now). Now that I've had some time to learn and play with the shot, I'm still having trouble deciding which one to use. Here is a quick video with a couple looks at both strokes. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXDWPYZjQLA

Netspirit
12-05-2009, 12:12 PM
I like your two hander more, personally. It looks more natural.

With your one-hander you do not seem to step forward much (you continue to rely on your upper body rotation), your contact point is close to your body, you do not counter-balance with your left arm.

But don't give a sh*t about what people think and use whatever pleases you more. I assume you play for fun.

Pay attention to your footwork though. You have no split-step whatsoever, and you do not bend your knees enough to get under lower balls.

maverick66
12-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Pay attention to your footwork though. You have no split-step whatsoever, and you do not bend your knees enough to get under lower balls.

His preparation on the two hander was much better. He was late on a few of the 1 handers and that was due to his prep time and footwork not being good. I would stick to the 2 hands myself as it was a much better shot overall. The onehander just looks like breakdown city.

LeeD
12-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Seems you're a quick study with the 1HBH, while the 2hbh has been your backhand for all those 10 years.
Use the one that YOU feel is more consistent, is stronger, and can hit more variety of shots.

aimr75
12-05-2009, 03:39 PM
as the others have mentioned, the 2 hander looks to be your better shot

Recon
12-05-2009, 03:51 PM
of course it looks better he has 10 years of practice with it. But honestly if you switch be prepared to grind through a lot of frustration, it looks like your using your upperbody as you would with a 2hander for the onehander, you dont stay sideways and your footwork has to change. If your playing for fun, stay with the 2hander as the 1 hander takes longer to learn and requires more emphasis on certain muscles that the 2hander does not. Meaning you will have to develop into the shot, and on that path you will find a alot of frustration which you will forever be switching in between. So whatever you do, pick one and dont look back.

Djokovicfan4life
12-05-2009, 05:15 PM
On your one hander you open up too much after contact. This is fine for two hands, but for the one hander it's asking for trouble. Try to open up no more than 45 degrees in relation to the net as a general rule. For cross court shots you'll open up more than down the line ones. You also have a loopy backswing on your one hander that is begging for timing issues, or "breakdown city", as Mav put it. The "smile" pattern, as Bungalo Bill calls it, is much easier to time, especially for those of us without world class footwork. The racquet goes straight back, more or less, with the coiling of the upper body and then continues slightly upwards with the arm.

The smile pattern: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTyyITw-fyo&feature=related

The "C" takeback that you're using at the moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsdv5-eC3PY&feature=related

Matt

willroc7
12-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Thank you all for the feedback. I've been playing with the one-hander since June. I play for my university's club (tennis on campus) team. Do you think my one-hander shows potential if I work on my footwork, staying closed to the net, and using a simpler takeback? I'm not really sure what to use at this point. I end up going to the one handed slice a lot in matches as a result. I can usually knife it short to bring my opponents in to net so I can get a look at a forehand pass. Speaking of which, any comments on the forehand technique?

12-05-2009, 07:19 PM
I liked the one hander and thought it had some very good aspect of a modern one hander.

yemenmocha
12-05-2009, 08:32 PM
2 hander much better