PDA

View Full Version : backhands

CCNM
12-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I've been on several tennis websites and I've noticed that the topic of one-handed backhands has come up quite often. Some fans seem to like it. I don't play tennis but I'm guessing that it takes more skill to hit a backhand with one hand on the racquet than both?

coyfish
12-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Everyone is different. For the majority of people though the 1H is more difficult than the 2 hander. It requires better timing and positioning. More "leniancy" with the 2 hands on the racquet.

I switched from a 2H to a 1H because the 2 hands just didn't feel natural to me. Its a preference thing.

Netspirit
12-05-2009, 03:55 PM
I've been on several tennis websites and I've noticed that the topic of one-handed backhands has come up quite often. Some fans seem to like it. I don't play tennis but I'm guessing that it takes more skill to hit a backhand with one hand on the racquet than both?

Pick up a racket and try both. It's fun. )

Ken Honecker
12-06-2009, 03:50 AM
I'm guessing that it takes more skill to hit a backhand with one hand on the racquet than both?

I don't know about simply hitting it, hitting it well might be another thing.

Personally I've played 40+ years one handed and will never try and switch over at this point. Like was stated a lot has to do with personal preference. I believe it came into vogue to increase power which seems reasonable because I don't think a persons muscles are as strong moving in a backhand manner. I would venture that shoulder width and even overall stiffness might factor into the equasion. A quick measurement leads me to believe I would lose 5 1/2 inches of reach on a ball in my normal strike zone and probably a heck of a lot more on a desperation stretch.

fuzz nation
12-06-2009, 08:24 AM
680 posts and you don't even play tennis? I had no idea we were so amusing around here.

Our brains are funny - funny ha-ha and funny strange, too. Some moves just make more sense to some of us than they do for others. When I took up with a one-hander, I talked with a few decent players who used it (I'm talking college level games) and it was interesting. More than one of them said that they just couldn't make a two-hander work right for them. That was interesting for me, since these players had some decent skills.

Even though the 2hbh typically has a quicker rate of setup and release, the geometry of the 1hbh can make it much more precise and even more powerful when it's not rushed. In the same way that we sometimes learn better through different techniques or even decide to be right or left handed early on, I think that each style of backhand has an individual appeal that comes more naturally for some players. Me? I vote more as an independent, so I use both strokes as I need them.