PDA

View Full Version : Too wristy

Roy125
12-05-2009, 03:43 PM
I used to use a 2 handed backhand for a year. Whatever I did, I could not hit it smoothly, or find the sweet spot on the backhand with two balls, so it would just lead to errors.

Now, I use a 1 handed backhand and 50% of the time, the ball goes into the net with the stroke. I have no idea what is wrong but my coach says that I use my wrist too much. Does anyone have any drills to stop the wrist from killing my backhand game?

Also, can someone lead me to good chip shot instruction sites?

LeeD
12-05-2009, 03:45 PM
To lock out wrists, try spreading your fingers over more of the racket handle.
And aim about 4' higher than the net cord.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-05-2009, 03:47 PM
^^^^^^Good tip.

tricky
12-05-2009, 03:51 PM
It's likely that you're trying to swing laterally around your body.

Work on finishing with the hand above your head and on your hitting side. This will ingrain the down-to-up motion of the 1H BH.

paulfreda
12-05-2009, 11:16 PM
What grip are you using ?

Most likely you just need to lift more thru the ball and finish high as tricky implied. Also taking a bit earlier out front should allow the face to open a bit and give you height over the net.

Roy125
12-05-2009, 11:26 PM
What grip are you using ?

Most likely you just need to lift more thru the ball and finish high as tricky implied. Also taking a bit earlier out front should allow the face to open a bit and give you height over the net.

I use an eastern backhand grip. It always feels closed somehow.

paulfreda
12-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Ok that is normal.
I use a SWBH grip and it too feels closed.
But that is its advantage because it means you can swing low to high to your hearts content and not fly it long.

Clearly this is a mental block on your part.
You feel too closed and worry about getting it over.
Instead, remind yourself it means you can swing low to high aggressively and get lots of topspin which will make your BH better.
You can hit flat too or slice it.
Work with it and you will be happy for the time invested.

Do not try hitting with an open stance until you master the neutral/closed stance.
This will insure you are hitting from the inside near your body.
And you must hit it out in front of you. You can not be late or you really will be closed.
Hitting out front gives the face more time/room to open up.
Take a look at youtube.com videos of Fed hitting his BH.
Perfect model as he uses an EBH grip too.

You should also try doing what Guga, Gaudio, and several others do with their SW grip.
Fan open the face on the backswing by rotating your forearm CCW. Now you should not feel closed.
Vary this procedure until you feel comfortable with the amount you are open so you feel the ball can be hit flat comforatbly over the net.
Problem gone.

Good luck

ronalditop
12-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Try holding the grip a little higher. It worked for me. When I used to hold the racquet at the very end of the handle, I noticed I couldnt hit through the ball with my ohbh, it was too wristy. So I tried holding it a little higher, Its way better, more stability and power, and I can really hit through.

fuzz nation
12-06-2009, 08:08 AM
My suspicion is that your contact point isn't far enough out in front of you with your one-hander. I say this because I use both strokes and if I don't make the adjustment to go farther out in front to get the ball with my 1hbh, it's bound to find the net a lot.

Make sure that you're on your front foot before you swing, not just as you swing which might be fine for the 2hbh. The best way for me to describe how you need to advance the timing of your one-hander is to think of the countdown in your head when the ball comes off your opponent's racquet. With the 2hbh it may be 5-4-3-2-1-hit, but with the 1hbh it needs to be more like 5-4-3-hit. You've got to go to the ball sooner. With a smooth tempo in a well timed swing, you won't need to rely on your wrist to steer the racquet to the ball with that one-hander.

Roy125
12-06-2009, 06:13 PM
To lock out wrists, try spreading your fingers over more of the racket handle.
And aim about 4' higher than the net cord.

It sounds like good advice. I'll try it out tomorrow.:)