PDA

View Full Version : What to string a lux/gut hybrid at?

meowmix
12-05-2009, 05:10 PM
What would you recomment I string this hybrid at? I string full lux at 53, lux hybrid w/ syn gut at 54/56 (or 58, depending on my mood). What do I string this hybrid at? Keep in mind the gut in the crosses will be Global gut 16.

DownTheLine
12-05-2009, 05:13 PM
What would you recomment I string this hybrid at? I string full lux at 53, lux hybrid w/ syn gut at 54/56 (or 58, depending on my mood). What do I string this hybrid at? Keep in mind the gut in the crosses will be Global gut 16.

Try to string it tight. Mine felt a bit mushy at 56/58.

neverstopplaying
12-05-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm currently enjoying VS gut mains @58 & Lux crosses @54.

Isn't it quite unusual to put gut in the crosses?

meowmix
12-06-2009, 06:23 AM
^Not really. I tried gut in the mains of my previous hybrid, and I'm regretting that decision quite horribly. I'm putting gut in the crosses to soften up the lux.

Ended up stringing the hybrd 55/50, going off somebody's comment to string the crosses looser for a bigger sweetspot.

And I have to say... I HATE cheap stringing up cheap gut. That stuff is so thick, and the coating's uneven as heck! The ends are very well coated, and are probably 14 g, but the middle unravels so much it's not funny. Even when you just take the gut out of the plastic, you can see that the stuff isn't that well coated in the middle. By the end, I had to twist every single time I put it through a grommet. And the number of times I had to cut a new tip... Might buy Klip or Pacfic just for the relative ease of stringing next time...

xFullCourtTenniSx
12-06-2009, 04:10 PM
^Not really. I tried gut in the mains of my previous hybrid, and I'm regretting that decision quite horribly.

Funny... I tried gut in the crosses and regretted that decision quite horribly.

It's actually far more common to have guts strung in the crosses than in the mains, for durability purposes and to merely soften up the main strings.

Over time, people went against the idea of doing that because they could afford the lack of durability (cough cough, world number 1 Roger Federer cough cough). They decided it felt and performed much better than having gut in the crosses, and stuck to it. Eventually people found out, either from seeing the racket or trying it themselves, and tried it; clearly most found that they liked it and enough of them were willing to sacrifice the durability factor for the feel and playability.

meowmix
12-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Well, I don't really give a furry rat's ***** what Federer uses. I tried the NG mains and it just didn't work for me, and since I didn't exactly feel like tossing a set of gut, I tried it in the crosses of the Avenger.

I think I very well might have found my perfect string setup for this racket...

xFullCourtTenniSx
12-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Well, I don't really give a furry rat's ***** what Federer uses.

I was merely using him as an example of one of the first to go against the mainstream views of stringing gut in the crosses of a hybrid. You can substitute his name for anyone else's who fits the bill, he's just the one of the few I know as I don't personally know anyone who uses natural gut to begin with.

You can substitute his name for Novak Djokovic if you want, though Djokovic probably followed Federer, so he wasn't really one of the first who was experimenting with the idea.

meowmix
12-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Wasn't ripping on you :) Just pointing out that what Federer (or Agassi, or Sampras, or whomever) finds enjoyable might not be particularly enjoyable for me. For me, NG mains doesn't really cut it too well, but NG crosses seem lovely.

xFullCourtTenniSx
12-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Wasn't ripping on you :) Just pointing out that what Federer (or Agassi, or Sampras, or whomever) finds enjoyable might not be particularly enjoyable for me. For me, NG mains doesn't really cut it too well, but NG crosses seem lovely.

That's a good thing. But you might've misunderstood the purpose of that sentence... Perhaps I should've mentioned that really good player who whoops on your butt the whole time because he was one of the first few to use that setup. :wink: But I wouldn't know his name, or if he even exists. Haha.

I found gut crosses to kill off my slice and shrink the "sweetspot". Though when I can take a rip on the ball (not on the full stretch playing defense) and play with topspin, it still plays very well. It's just not remotely as forgiving or soft as gut mains. Perhaps you like the slightly stiffer feeling? It definitely felt easier to take a rip on the ball mentally with gut crosses because the added stiffness made me feel like I'd hit short otherwise. But with the gut mains, it had so much easy and free power I didn't have to work as hard to hit great shots, and when I did I'd really get a big bomb, which I liked.

meowmix
12-06-2009, 06:37 PM
I tried lowering the tension on my crosses as compared to my mains for the first time, and I feel like my sweetspot might be a little bit larger, although I'm not sure. It certainly isn't smaller (IMO).

I haven't gotten out to the courts yet to test the strings in full, but from just a little bit of hitting around in basement against a ball, it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I do like a slightly stiffer feel, although I also enjoy a REALLY soft feel (think NG at 40 pounds). The Gut mains with synthetic crosses that I have in my sig just seems uncontrollable for some reason. I take my usual swings, and the ball just sails. I'm relatively sure it's my timing, but I just can't get it to work. Weird thing is, when I put on a dampener, some of those shots start coming back in, but my hitting partner tells me that they're weaker than normal. I don't really understand why, since I usually play with a poly hybrid or full poly... I will not argue at all that the gut mains are a heck of a lot softer and much more forgiving than the poly mains, but when I can't get shots to stay in the court, it doesn't really matter... Pretty angry, since that setup utilized Wilson NG instead of the cheap Global I put in my lux/gut setup...

Well, this is the next step of my string testing. Hopefully I've found the setup I'm going to stick to for a little while.

xFullCourtTenniSx
12-07-2009, 12:13 AM
I tried lowering the tension on my crosses as compared to my mains for the first time, and I feel like my sweetspot might be a little bit larger, although I'm not sure. It certainly isn't smaller (IMO).

I haven't gotten out to the courts yet to test the strings in full, but from just a little bit of hitting around in basement against a ball, it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I do like a slightly stiffer feel, although I also enjoy a REALLY soft feel (think NG at 40 pounds). The Gut mains with synthetic crosses that I have in my sig just seems uncontrollable for some reason. I take my usual swings, and the ball just sails. I'm relatively sure it's my timing, but I just can't get it to work. Weird thing is, when I put on a dampener, some of those shots start coming back in, but my hitting partner tells me that they're weaker than normal. I don't really understand why, since I usually play with a poly hybrid or full poly... I will not argue at all that the gut mains are a heck of a lot softer and much more forgiving than the poly mains, but when I can't get shots to stay in the court, it doesn't really matter... Pretty angry, since that setup utilized Wilson NG instead of the cheap Global I put in my lux/gut setup...

Well, this is the next step of my string testing. Hopefully I've found the setup I'm going to stick to for a little while.

Poly mains give off more spin. Haha. I can generate my own with gut mains (just put more top to control the pop), so it's all good for me.

Meaghan
12-07-2009, 01:13 AM
I think gut crosses are a complete waste of time and money. As for softeing up the string bed ????
Just stay with full poly its better, more durable and doesnt move around.

The only hybrid of any note and that has any impact on the ball and your shotmaking is with gut mains/poly cross (esp alu rough) just doesnt last (started to use string savers!)

As for tension, personally I would never go more than 2lbs over or under the mains.

ClubHoUno
12-07-2009, 05:08 AM
I'm currently enjoying VS gut mains @58 & Lux crosses @54.

Isn't it quite unusual to put gut in the crosses?

No, people who prefer the feel and dead feel of polys, but would like a little bit softer feel, should hybrid the poly mains with the Natty gut in the crosses.

People who prefer the feel of a multi & Natty gut, but would like a cross string for a bit extra stiffness and 'dead' control feel, should put the poly in the crosses.

Different strokes for different folks :p

Andy Murray plays lux mains, Natty gut crosses.....Fed and Djokovic plays Natty gut mains and lux crosses.

Can't rememeber, who wrote this - but often high spin baseline players like Nadal and DelPotro plays all poly.
Defensive mid spin 'push' players like Andy Murray and I think also Lewton Hewit often play poly mains and Natty gut crosses.
All court players, with an attacking playing style often plays Natty gut mains and poly crosses, while the serve and volley type player often plays with full Natty gut !

ClubHoUno
12-07-2009, 05:18 AM
I think gut crosses are a complete waste of time and money. As for softeing up the string bed ????
Just stay with full poly its better, more durable and doesnt move around.

The only hybrid of any note and that has any impact on the ball and your shotmaking is with gut mains/poly cross (esp alu rough) just doesnt last (started to use string savers!)

As for tension, personally I would never go more than 2lbs over or under the mains.

I agree. I hate the feel I got from lux mains and Natty gut crosses after 2 hours. But I love Natty gut mains and poly crosses.

For rain/wet weather setup, I hybrid Xcel power mains with a CoPoly in the crosses to get the same kind of feel as Natty gut mains and CoPoly crosses.

ClubHoUno
12-07-2009, 05:20 AM
I would try: 56 lbs poly mains and 60 lbs Natty gut crosses

bertrevert
12-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Different strokes for different folks :p

Andy Murray plays lux mains, Natty gut crosses.....Fed and Djokovic plays Natty gut mains and lux crosses.

Can't rememeber, who wrote this - but often high spin baseline players like Nadal and DelPotro plays all poly.
Defensive mid spin 'push' players like Andy Murray and I think also Lewton Hewit often play poly mains and Natty gut crosses.
All court players, with an attacking playing style often plays Natty gut mains and poly crosses, while the serve and volley type player often plays with full Natty gut !

Hey interesting info thanks... good guidelines.

I reckon go real low on the poly, for I believe it plays better. It grips and slingshots and rips the ball while not being overly powerful.

Nat gut is just so powerful and elastic I can understand its reputation and usage in smaller headed frames (of yesteryear and today).