PDA

View Full Version : Any engineers willing to help me out w/ a <5 minute interview?

xtremerunnerars
12-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Hey guys, I'm required to do an 'interview' of an engineer for a pretty lame class I'm in and was hoping someone could help me out.

I just need you to pm me your answer to these questions as soon as you have time. I only need one response and it doesn't have to be all that detailed. If you respond you can just reply to this thread after you send the PM, nobody else will have to do it.

I'd interview someone else but I don't know any engineers and we aren't allowed to use faculty at the school. Also, I can pretty much guarantee that you'll never be contacted by the school because the instructors for this assignment are incredibly lazy.

1. First and last name, work phone number, and work email address?
2. Engineering degree earned and from where?
3. Current job title and employer?
4. What is a brief description of his/her current job?
5. Key steps along his/her career path?
6. Any advice to share with you as a first-year engineering student?
7. How did you choose your branch of engineering?
8. Did you always want to be an engineer?
9. If you weren't an engineer, what other job would you prefer?

Thanks so much!

samej07
12-05-2009, 11:34 PM
hey xtreme. I cant help you out, but im an engineering student myself and was just curious where you're going to school at and what branch you're majoring in.

I'm a Civil major here at Tech.

xtremerunnerars
12-05-2009, 11:42 PM
EE+CpE at VT

joe sch
12-06-2009, 07:27 AM
1. joe sch (do a little research for more info)
2. bscs umcp msit ucla
3. sw architech (BA)
4. Design/Development FCS
5. Keeping current with advances in technology
6. When you get a job, learn as much as possible and be as helpful as possible
7. Lots of jobs in S/W & Sys engineering
8. Not really, lots of other interesting jobs
9. Would be fun to be a tennis pro or park ranger, just not much $$$

diredesire
12-06-2009, 11:26 PM
E-mail me if you want to use my info..

BS EE, Univ of Wash, Seattle (I'm actually currently doing my Masters, but if you want to fudge this info a little bit..)

Signal Integrity Engineer @ Intel Corp (Long term internship/most probably "future" job after graduation)

Analyzing data buses on motherboards/add-in cards for signal integrity/spec compliance.

Gaining real-world experience as early as possible. Internships are important in finding "final" placement.

Attempt to land internships (one year un-paid is OK, if it's required to get your foot in the door) as early as possible. Focus on GPA to get you the first look, and work hard early. HOWEVER, take away something from each class, rather than cramming enough to score well on exams. Engineering as a trade is all about problem solving, sharpen your critical thinking skills. School (generally) will not prepare you for the (very) specific skills required for a modern engineering job. Thinking analytically, and being able to problem solve are key in the "real world."

It fits me, and has lots of opportunities for added exploration as my tastes/interests change. Also, a long term interest in computers/consumer electronics.

Ever since I can remember seriously considering a profession, yes. (This excludes Kindergarten, when I wanted to be a doctor, because I knew they made lots of $$$ ;))

Teacher, or Entrepreneur/Inventor.

Bud
12-06-2009, 11:37 PM
1. joe sch (do a little research for more info)
2. bscs umcp msit ucla
3. sw architech (BA)
4. Design/Development FCS
5. Keeping current with advances in technology
6. When you get a job, learn as much as possible and be as helpful as possible
7. Lots of jobs in S/W & Sys engineering
8. Not really, lots of other interesting jobs
9. Would be fun to be a tennis pro or park ranger, just not much $$$

Impressive :shock:

Bud
12-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Hey guys, I'm required to do an 'interview' of an engineer for a pretty lame class I'm in and was hoping someone could help me out.

I just need you to pm me your answer to these questions as soon as you have time. I only need one response and it doesn't have to be all that detailed. If you respond you can just reply to this thread after you send the PM, nobody else will have to do it.

I'd interview someone else but I don't know any engineers and we aren't allowed to use faculty at the school. Also, I can pretty much guarantee that you'll never be contacted by the school because the instructors for this assignment are incredibly lazy.

Thanks so much!

Is this traditional engineering or information sciences engineering?

Example... mechanical engineer, civil engineer, aeronautical engineer vs systems engineer, applications engineer, etc.