PDA

View Full Version : pro red code vs. big banger alu power

Birdinhio
12-06-2009, 03:59 AM
i currently use pro red code 17 gauge at a 57 tension, and i was wondering how big banger alu power compares on stiffness, power, tension loss etc.

Blade0324
12-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Having used both pretty extensively the Alu will have more power by a little bit and will be quite a bit stiffer. It will also lose tension much more quickly. There will be those that say that Alu will give better spin and overall playability but I really disagree. To me the Luxilon strings are mostly about a name and I find there are a number of better performing strings.

Birdinhio
12-06-2009, 08:55 AM

DownTheLine
12-06-2009, 08:56 AM
I have used a fair amount of polys and I can honestly say ALU Power is generations better.

Dags
12-06-2009, 09:26 AM
I agree with Blade on stiffness, power and tension loss. I don't agree so much on playability. I find ALU in a league of its own for the first few hours... then changing completely.

If you're prepared to re-string regularly (and I really do mean after a few hours) then my vote goes to ALU. If you want something that plays more consistently for a much longer period of time, then Red Code is a better choice.

jamauss
12-06-2009, 09:43 AM
I've used both a lot as well and mostly agree with Blade. There are plenty of polys out there that will give you just as good power/performance as BB ALU. I have pretty fast strokes and I have never gone above 56 lbs with BB ALU Power.

Birdinhio
12-06-2009, 10:05 AM
cheers for all the comments guys.

[d]ragon
12-06-2009, 10:48 AM
ALU plays better while it's still fresh but loses tension and playability fast. PRC lasts longer, holding tension better as well as being less prone to breaking. I also thought PRC had a slight plasticky feel to it and doen't have too much elasticity to it.

THESEXPISTOL
12-06-2009, 11:04 AM
No doubt that PRC wins here. The only scenario where BBALU wins is when you don't pay for it and you can string it every 4 days...

As a longtime user of PRC i have to say that they last and play good during 3 or 4 weeks for me. And i play almost 15hours a week.
I like a full job but i prefeer hybrid it with a thick syngut to increase the power, have some more touch and down the cost-per-job.

Birdinhio
12-06-2009, 02:47 PM
So how does classic BB compare to alu power??? Cause I had BB a few years ago and liked it but can't remember what the tension duration was like

tennistomcat
12-07-2009, 06:52 PM
big banger original is awesome to me - good control & access to spin. you need to supply the power though - it lets me hit out & hit flatter & still keep shots in. It is stiff & boardy & caused me elbow pain only on topsin/kick serves - i had the same problem with big banger ace - could never figure it out. Switched to PRC & find it's a great string with good control, access to spin, & great at holding tension. I found PRC (weird as it sounds) to have a softer, more cushioned feel than the lux & am able to have more feel for touch shots. The only thing that I miss from lux that PRC doesn't give me is that crisp feel when spankng groundies. PRC is a good string (no pains or ailments whatsoever from it) but miss being able to hit all out & not have to worry as much about hitting shots long - more about keeping it in the sidelines. I am going to try fluoro to see if i can play with lux again.

mcshift
12-07-2009, 06:55 PM
ive played with quite a few polys except for red code... but i have played with black code (which ive been told is somewhat similar) and i found that it had way too much power i couldnt keep anything in

ClubHoUno
12-08-2009, 04:21 AM
Having used both pretty extensively the Alu will have more power by a little bit and will be quite a bit stiffer. It will also lose tension much more quickly. There will be those that say that Alu will give better spin and overall playability but I really disagree. To me the Luxilon strings are mostly about a name and I find there are a number of better performing strings.

I TOTALLY agree with you.

Luxilon is a big name because of all the pro players, that use it and because Luxilon almost invented the new type of poly string 6-7 years ago, where Gustavo Kuerten as one of the first high ranked players started to use it.

Most of the pro players only stays with the Luxilon for the same reason they stay with the same old frame/racquet model - consistency and trust.

They know what works for them and they haven't got the time to test new setups, which can cause let downs in their game and consequently they can start lose matches and more importantly lose valuable confidence.

There are a lots better performing and softer spin CoPolys out there now - and also remember that pro players cut the strings out before that play 2 hours with their Luxilon strings, so they never experience a dead stiff board Luxilon, though some would say all Luxilon (besides M2 pro and FLUORO) plays like a stiff board from the get go :p

I used Luxilon Alu BB power and ROUGH for several months last season and also tried 2 packs of the Red Code. While the Red Code was not my favorite CoPoly, it still played softer and had better elasticity stability than the Luxilon strings.

I'm done with Luxilon - might give the new Luxilon Adrenaline a test try, but don't expect to buy my reels of Luxilon in the future to come.

Signum Pro, WeissCannon and Tecnifibre all make better CoPolys in my view - far better than Luxilon.