PDA

View Full Version : You're a world class professional tennis coach...

TheTruth
12-06-2009, 05:53 AM
Your expertise is highly sought after. Players at all levels want you to be their Svengali. Who do you lend yourself out to?

1. A young junior with enormous potential?

2. A seasoned veteran who has the talent, but not the mindset?

3. A burned out talent who has lost his mojo?

4. An unherald talent that really does have what it takes, but doesn't believe it?

Which player would you take and why?

Anaconda
12-06-2009, 05:55 AM
5) Federer

OddJack
12-06-2009, 06:08 AM
6- Ana Ivancovic

mandy01
12-06-2009, 06:18 AM
The fourth option..To try and make a talentedplayer believe he has what it takes to do really really well in the sport would be satisfying .Belief does wonders to your game and a talented player with belief goes a long way.:wink:

Ash_Smith
12-06-2009, 06:43 AM
option 1 - it's what I try to find every single day!

joe sch
12-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Im responding mostly based on $$$ which is probably the top consideration, except for option 1 ...

Option 1 has the greatest potential payoff, ie getting famous for developing a great player. Most great players will go thru many coaches and/or academies so this creadit is really hard to achieve now but it can still be the way to get recognized.

Option 3 and also 2 have the greatest immediate payoff since a veteran is usually successful, ie lasted many years on the tour, so can pay good $$$ and offer best profit sharing for future win income

Option 4 has good potential near term payoff ... Fix some problems in the players game, probably mostly psychological and motivational then hopefully get some good wins in upcoming tournaments $$$

4. An unherald talent that really does have what it takes, but doesn't believe it?

TheTruth
12-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Im responding mostly based on $$$ which is probably the top consideration, except for option 1 ...

Option 1 has the greatest potential payoff, ie getting famous for developing a great player. Most great players will go thru many coaches and/or academies so this creadit is really hard to achieve now but it can still be the way to get recognized.

Option 3 and also 2 have the greatest immediate payoff since a veteran is usually successful, ie lasted many years on the tour, so can pay good $$$ and offer best profit sharing for future win income

Option 4 has good potential near term payoff ... Fix some problems in the players game, probably mostly psychological and motivational then hopefully get some good wins in upcoming tournaments $$$

Examples of #4 would be Gasquet, Verdasco, Mathieu, Soderling (before this year) and even Blake.

This thread was inspired by a show on Tennis Channel with juniors all over the world trying to get on the professional tour and what various coaches said they looked for in a student.

LiveForever
12-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Cool thread, truth! :)

I would take the young junior with potential. He is the most straightforward option. He doesnt have any mental barriers to overcome. All I would need to do is get him on the court. Mental troubles are the worst and they require more effort to fix than any other problem.

joe sch
12-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Examples of #4 would be Gasquet, Verdasco, Mathieu, Soderling (before this year) and even Blake.

This thread was inspired by a show on Tennis Channel with juniors all over the world trying to get on the professional tour and what various coaches said they looked for in a student.

What was the name of that TTV segment ?
Id like to watch it.
Verdasco has a great team to work with.
I think Blake could use some additional coaching.
Not sure about Gasquet, he surely needs some new infusions into his game to get to the top again.
Soderling is now there, he could use a great motivator like Gilbert or Cayhill or maybe even Mats Wilander ?

TheTruth
12-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Id like to watch it.
Not sure about Gasquet, he surely needs some new infusions into his game to get to the top again.
Soderling is now there, he could use a great motivator like Gilbert or Cayhill or maybe even Mats Wilander ?

I wish I could remember, but my son was telling about this new show called the The Next Best Thing and because the premises were so similar TNBT got stuck in my head.

I'm not sure if they started it out as a regular show, or if they used it as filler waiting for the actual match. But as Tennis Channel subsccribers know, they don't always stick to the scheduling. But, I remember thinking I wanted to find the name and watch it at another time.

It was so cool. It really took you into the pulse of the junior circuit. Some of the standout students were this guy named Baustista from Spain, this German guy, a young French girl and a Chinese girl, last name Wang. Then, there was this one pretty young lady named Uberova who they thought would make a splash (endorsement) once she gets on the tour, if she does.

The coaches were talking about what they look for, whether or not a player has hit his potential, and they especially talked about watching them not only for the way they play, but more specifically how they play during crunch times.

Maybe if you go to the TTC's website they'll have it. I'm going to do that too, because it was one of the most in-depth shows I've seen on TTC.

Oh, the Chinese girl was way taller than the other girls in her age range, and they felt she had the intimidation factor and thought she should play up.

But what it really showed you was how the tennis mill is constantly churning them out. The next 5-6 years should be interesting.

Jaxon
12-06-2009, 04:32 PM
number 4 it makes the most sense

TheTruth
12-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Id like to watch it.

I went and checked TTC.

I think it was this one:

5:00 PM Nike Junior Tour Masters : 2008 Nike Junior Tour Masters