PDA

View Full Version : Why do people buy prepackaged hybrids?

meowmix
12-06-2009, 07:53 AM
I've been wondering this for a little bit. It seems that these prepackaged hybrids are more expensive than their companent strings. Take Wilson's Champion's Choice for example. It combines Wilson Natural Gut (although why anybody would want Wilson when they can get VS for the same price I'll never know) with Alu Rough. Champion's Choice is 30 bucks, or two sets for 60, while Wilson NG+Alu Rough puts you at 58. Or take Klip's NG hybrids. It's 26 bucks for legend, plus a a few dollars extra for either their synthetic gut or a basic poly. And yet, they sell the hybrid for 20 bucks. I must be missing something, because I don't understand why some people would want to buy the prepackaged hybrids.

SteveI
12-06-2009, 08:04 AM
I've been wondering this for a little bit. It seems that these prepackaged hybrids are more expensive than their companent strings. Take Wilson's Champion's Choice for example. It combines Wilson Natural Gut (although why anybody would want Wilson when they can get VS for the same price I'll never know) with Alu Rough. Champion's Choice is 30 bucks, or two sets for 60, while Wilson NG+Alu Rough puts you at 58. Or take Klip's NG hybrids. It's 26 bucks for legend, plus a a few dollars extra for either their synthetic gut or a basic poly. And yet, they sell the hybrid for 20 bucks. I must be missing something, because I don't understand why some people would want to buy the prepackaged hybrids.

MM,

I think you are asking the wrong group. Most folks here are experienced enough not to buy prepackaged hybirds. Since folks like yourself have invested time and energy to learn all sorts of useful things regarding strings, grips.. rackets.. it seems like a dumb thing to buy prepackaged hybrids.

When it comes to buying mutual funds for retirement (T. Rowe Price Ret 2030.. etc), I go with funds that are designed to change over time and take the guesswork out it for me. Since I have limited knowledge.. it seems the smart thing to do. I bet if I was working for T. Rowe Price..I might think.. why would anyone use a Ret 2030 Fund...

Folks love.. one stop shopping and convience these days.

Have a good one.

skyzoo
12-06-2009, 08:27 AM
MM,

I think you are asking the wrong group. Most folks here are experienced enough not to buy prepackaged hybirds. Since folks like yourself have invested time and energy to learn all sorts of useful things regarding strings, grips.. rackets.. it seems like a dumb thing to buy prepackaged hybrids.

When it comes to buying mutual funds for retirement (T. Rowe Price Ret 2030.. etc), I go with funds that are designed to change over time and take the guesswork out it for me. Since I have limited knowledge.. it seems the smart thing to do. I bet if I was working for T. Rowe Price..I might think.. why would anyone use a Ret 2030 Fund...

Folks love.. one stop shopping and convience these days.

Have a good one.
Steve is right. although the babolat package Roddick uses seems pretty nice if you have the $$$ and are lazy. Same with champions choice. I don't think I know of anyone who uses a pre packed hybrid.

autumn_leaf
12-06-2009, 08:40 AM
i guess if you're strapped for money at the time and can't afford a full set of each string the prepackage would be a life saver.

meowmix
12-06-2009, 08:55 AM
This idea really popped into my head because of a thread ipitythefool posted yesterday, where he bought several sets of Bab PHT/VS hybrids. Also, when I traded Scotus for some NG, I got 1/2 set from a EnduroTour/NG hybrid.

Although Autumn Leaf's point is valid...

LafayetteHitter
12-06-2009, 09:00 AM
The Pacific Polygut setup that I like is pretty close in price so it's nice that if the Toughgut sells out the hybrid packs are normally in stock.

uk_skippy
12-06-2009, 09:38 AM
I only buy pre-packaged hybrids if I can get them at a good price, otherwise I'll by the separate individual packs

Regards

Paul

SteveI
12-06-2009, 10:07 AM
This idea really popped into my head because of a thread ipitythefool posted yesterday, where he bought several sets of Bab PHT/VS hybrids. Also, when I traded Scotus for some NG, I got 1/2 set from a EnduroTour/NG hybrid.

Although Autumn Leaf's point is valid...

MM,

Sometimes.. I see a real nice deal on some prepackaged hybrids and get them to split up for customers that might use a string I do not play with or do not keep on hand. Heck.. I just like to try new strings..LOL :-) Don't we all. In general.. I would buy two sets or more sets and save a few bucks.

Steve

ci2ca
12-06-2009, 10:07 AM

Wilson gut is repackaged babolat gut, what grade? I'm not sure but I think it might be VS. And prepackaged hybrids are convenient so you're paying a bit extra for the convenience. Plus, how else are these string manufacturers make money off beginners thinking they need gut?

SteveI
12-06-2009, 10:08 AM
i guess if you're strapped for money at the time and can't afford a full set of each string the prepackage would be a life saver.

That is a good point..

Dags
12-06-2009, 10:17 AM
One possible advantage that is overlooked by most manufacturers is that rather than providing two half sets of 6 metres (20'), they could provide longer length for the mains and shorter for the crosses. The only strings I've seen like this are RAB Endura Classic, which are 6.25m/5.5m. The downside of this is of course that you are being told which string to use in the main, which removes some of the versatility.

Admittedly I've never failed to string the mains with half a set, but sometimes it's tight and so this could be a reason to buy a pre-packaged set if there was little difference in price.

JavierLW
12-06-2009, 12:22 PM
It combines Wilson Natural Gut (although why anybody would want Wilson when they can get VS for the same price I'll never know

I believe that the reason why Wilson can afford to carry it's own brand of gut (which is really VS) is that there are plenty of Wilson shills out there that will only carry and recommend Wilson products.

So if you're on the "shill train" and you want to use Natural Gut then you can buy Wilson Natural Gut.

There really is not any reason NOT to use it since it's pretty much the same thing. I used it for a long time and it was fine.

It's just funny when the person selling it to me would go into some speel about how "great" it was.

Otherwise prepackaged hybrids are just good for people who want convience.

I dont happen to string my own racquets and I happen to save money by buying everything seperately. So usually it means the guy that does my stringing has to measure and cut a pack of string in half.

I dont mind doing that but I could see where some people wouldnt want to mess around with that if they are not the ones doing the actual stringing.

Or if they dont care about a few dollars here and there, and they like the packaged hybrid, they'll likely just stick with that.

zapvor
12-06-2009, 05:17 PM
one of my favorite strings is the head intellitour and its a prepackages hybrid. love it

SteveI
12-06-2009, 05:36 PM
one of my favorite strings is the head intellitour and its a prepackages hybrid. love it

Zapvor,

Intellitour is made up of RIP Tour mains and RIP Feel crosses. Is it possible to buy these two strings? I have not seen them offered outside of the Hybrid package. I know TW does not carry them.

Regards,
Steve

meowmix
12-06-2009, 05:38 PM
^All I know is that I saw a reel of Intellistring on the bay from a reputed seller. I thought the seller had mistyped the information...

SteveI
12-06-2009, 05:49 PM
^All I know is that I saw a reel of Intellistring on the bay from a reputed seller. I thought the seller had mistyped the information...

Hey MM,

Intellistring is a Hybrid as far as I know:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_Intellistring_String/descpageACHEAD-HIS16.html

See ya...

xFullCourtTenniSx
12-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Only reason I'd get it is because the strings are precut for you! Saves a bit of time. Haha.

meowmix
12-06-2009, 05:53 PM
No, what I meant was that on the bay's site, the seller had listed a reel of intellistring, and stated that there were two strings involved. Here's the link:

http://cgi.0000.com/HEAD-INTELLISTRING-16L-tennis-racket-string-660-ft-reel_W0QQitemZ130347009600QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ200 91126?IMSfp=TL091126206009r19460

Of course, replace the 0's with the bay.

SteveI
12-06-2009, 05:57 PM
No, what I meant was that on the bay's site, the seller had listed a reel of intellistring, and stated that there were two strings involved. Here's the link:

http://cgi.0000.com/HEAD-INTELLISTRING-16L-tennis-racket-string-660-ft-reel_W0QQitemZ130347009600QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ200 91126?IMSfp=TL091126206009r19460

Of course, replace the 0's with the bay.

Cool... so I guess Head does make reels of their hybrids.. since you can't get the strings that make up the hybrids in reels... well ya can I guess.. 330 feet. BTW.. that is a nice price..

Interesting..:-)

Thanks MM..

Steve

retlod
12-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Why does anybody buy a pre-built computer instead of building their own? A surround sound package instead of a separate receiver and speakers? A 100-piece tool kit? A lifecycle mutual fund, or even a mutual fund in the first place?

With a little effort and knowledge, people can beat the prepackaged deals for a little less money, but they have to have the time to invest. Since time is money, it's all just a trade-off. Not that difficult to understand.

meowmix
12-06-2009, 06:05 PM
^I was referring more specifically to people that are on this board, that, most likely, have already invested a lot of time to get to know their equipment and the tennis world out there. These people still buy prepackaged hybrids on occassion, and I wondered why.

jim e
12-06-2009, 06:41 PM
^I was referring more specifically to people that are on this board, that, most likely, have already invested a lot of time to get to know their equipment and the tennis world out there. These people still buy prepackaged hybrids on occassion, and I wondered why.

Some places, certainly not TW, has specials of the month, and some of them are hybrid sets, where for example you buy 12 sets of the prepackaged sets you get 6 free. Sometimes they are hybrid sets and sometimes string individule sets, and this lowers the string costs for me, as I do string for a # of clients, even though I personally do not use the string.
You asked why, so this is my ans. to your question, although I normally do not purchase hybrid sets,I do buy them when a deal is available.