PDA

View Full Version : Forgot to lock the fixed clamp on a final main

efthemios
12-06-2009, 10:29 AM
As I released tension the clamp slowly crept back. Does this mean the whole thing is done for? It doesn't really matter for the racquet I was stringing because I snapped the mains anyway. Which brings me to my next question. If it's strung in two pieces can I redo the mains with the crosses still on?

lawlitssoo1n
12-06-2009, 10:35 AM
the clamping moving back a little is totally normal when stringing. and doing the mains w/ crosses strung is a NONO, but however, when you string w/ 2 pieces and the crosses snap on you, you at least got the main's at least and as long as the racket is still mounted you can re-do the crosses w/o having to cut everything out

efthemios
12-06-2009, 10:40 AM
the clamping moving back a little is totally normal when stringing. and doing the mains w/ crosses strung is a NONO, but however, when you string w/ 2 pieces and the crosses snap on you, you at least got the main's at least and as long as the racket is still mounted you can re-do the crosses w/o having to cut everything out

The clamp moved back a lot because it wasn't locked down. If I just pull back on the drop weight bar to get the clamp back in position then lock it is that fine?

Thanks for the warning on redoing the mains with the crosses still in. I'm glad I asked. Will this snap the frame?

[d]ragon
12-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Wait, so did you not lock the clamp or did you lock it and it's just moving back alittle after you release tension? If it's the latter, then that's normal. If it's the former, then you should start over because now most of the mains have lost tension

efthemios
12-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Yes, I forgot to lock it down. Thanks, [d]ragon. That's what I thought.

lawlitssoo1n
12-06-2009, 11:15 AM
The clamp moved back a lot because it wasn't locked down. If I just pull back on the drop weight bar to get the clamp back in position then lock it is that fine?

Thanks for the warning on redoing the mains with the crosses still in. I'm glad I asked. Will this snap the frame?

it's VERY bad for the frame. AND it's impossible you can't even have the crosses w/o the mains because you have to tie off the crosses on the mains to start.

efthemios
12-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Ha. Of course. It was only my second frame. Thanks.

Valjean
12-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Yes, I forgot to lock it down. Thanks, [d]ragon. That's what I thought.
In my experience, you typically only have to worry about three, possibly four, strings, including the one you might have clamped. Just go back and redo those.

And whatever tension is lost can be determined too; it doesn't have to be speculated over.

xFullCourtTenniSx
12-06-2009, 04:02 PM
it's VERY bad for the frame. AND it's impossible you can't even have the crosses w/o the mains because you have to tie off the crosses on the mains to start.

It's not even close to impossible. -.- Look up 50-50 stringing pattern on Yulite's YouTube channel.

Stringing like that, you don't use any starting knots, meaning you can tie off where ever you want so you can tie it off to a main. And if you're willing to deal with a drop in tension, you can string the top cross without any tension and tie it off to the second cross. Then again, if you use a starting clamp, it's possible to tension both crosses and still tie it off, but you'll lose a bit of tension just like when you tie off the last mains.

The crosses on Federer's rackets are tied off to cross strings, so he could have the mains restrung while keeping the crosses if he really wanted to. The thing is, it might be bad for the racket, I have no real idea because I don't do it and it would take quite a few goes before you actually see the damage.

efthemios
12-06-2009, 04:04 PM
It doesn't really matter for the racquet I was stringing because I snapped the mains anyway.

I just want to say that I had no idea it was possible to be so devastated over a $7 piece of string. Given the time it took and how much I wanted to try this particular string (Technifibre NRG2 18g), I think it was an appropriate reaction. I'll be sure to leave the gut in the drawer until I do a few more.

xFullCourtTenniSx
12-06-2009, 04:12 PM
I just want to say that I had no idea it was possible to be so devastated over a $7 piece of string. Given the time it took and how much I wanted to try this particular string (Technifibre NRG2 18g), I think it was an appropriate reaction. I'll be sure to leave the gut in the drawer until I do a few more.

Might wanna look up a few videos on proper stringing technique as well to make sure you don't damage the strings during stringing...

efthemios
12-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Of course. But that's like wasting time reading instructions on Christmas morning when you could be well on your way to playing with your new awesome toy.

YUlitle's videos are awesome by the way (now that I'm over that Xmas morning stage).

efthemios
12-06-2009, 04:21 PM
It's not even close to impossible. -.- Look up 50-50 stringing pattern on Yulite's YouTube channel.

Stringing like that, you don't use any starting knots, meaning you can tie off where ever you want so you can tie it off to a main. And if you're willing to deal with a drop in tension, you can string the top cross without any tension and tie it off to the second cross. Then again, if you use a starting clamp, it's possible to tension both crosses and still tie it off, but you'll lose a bit of tension just like when you tie off the last mains.

The crosses on Federer's rackets are tied off to cross strings, so he could have the mains restrung while keeping the crosses if he really wanted to. The thing is, it might be bad for the racket, I have no real idea because I don't do it and it would take quite a few goes before you actually see the damage.

I'm not going to risk it.

mlewis721
12-06-2009, 08:54 PM
The thing is, it might be bad for the racket, I have no real idea because I don't do it and it would take quite a few goes before you actually see the damage.

How are your dad's racquets holding up ?

xFullCourtTenniSx
12-07-2009, 12:10 AM
How are your dad's racquets holding up ?

Honestly? Very well! What do you know? Wilson's nCode technology can withstand my dad's stupidity!

Well, it's not like what he did with my rackets... Once he cut out the crosses, and left the mains in... And he was playing with it! Wasn't in the stringing machine either! Kinda like a guitar... Long story short, the frame cracked... He didn't even get me a new frame... ****ing ****ed me off. (Damned cheap, lazy *******!)

As long as you don't do something as absolutely stupid as that, your frame should withstand a few occasions of stupidity in action.

Just to be sure though, he can never touch my rackets ever again! I do all my own stringjobs now, and never let him get lazy on my strings on the chance I do need him to string them.

Though he doesn't know how to do a 50-50 stringing pattern, so he just has the starting knot sticking in there without a string to hold on to.

And efthemios, I'm not saying do it, I'm just saying it's not impossible to do so. If you do it once or twice in your life while the racket is clamped into the stringing machine the whole time, you won't notice any damage. If you do it like... 10 times... Yeah... Or if you just have one half set in there and play with the racket like a guitar... Yeah... Don't... At the very least, make sure it's clamped into the machine!

mikeler
12-07-2009, 04:42 AM

Use cheap synthetic gut for your first 15-20 jobs. You'll still make mistakes after that, but you'll have a much better handle on stringing. Want to talk about devastation, my first string job took 4 hours and I snapped the final knot pulling it with the tensioner (even though I knew this was a big no no).