PDA

View Full Version : What must Murray improve to win a slam???

jones101
12-06-2009, 12:26 PM
The title says it all, everyone can pick 3 options.

Murray is the only one left out of the top players to not have a big title.
The other top 5 all have GS, so does Roddick and Davy has a YEC. What does he need to improve to win a GS?

JoshDragon
12-06-2009, 12:38 PM
He could improve his movement, sometimes he's a bit slow, when he's on the run.

vanity
12-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Coming to the net more will aid Murray in winning his slam. He's a good volleyer, just doesn't do it enough.

anointedone
12-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Sorry I picked 7 options. The only ones I didnt pick were:

-Focus on court throghout the whole match
-Improve his fitness even more

I didnt read your post through enough before I voted.

anointedone
12-06-2009, 12:45 PM
If I had read carefully and only picked 3 they would have been:

More consistent 1st serve
Beef up the WTA like second serve
Adopt a more aggressive mindset

I debated between these 3 and the "Come into the net more" option but decided on those first 3. Coming to net more would be great as he wastes his very good volleying but never using it, but then again in todays game you can still get by without doing this. A better forehand would be nice but he will never have a great forehand, and his backhand is probably his best shot although he should be more agressive overall on everything. I dont think he needs to improve his focus or fitness really.

mtr1
12-06-2009, 12:53 PM
He needs to be selectively aggressive. Keep to his current gameplan, but when the opportunity is there, take it on. Also, come to the net/s&v more, but the whole tour needs to do more of that.

Max G.
12-06-2009, 12:54 PM
1) Improve his second serve. It's a severe liability.
2) Be more aggressive. He CAN be. Last summer, he was. I remember watching his matches against Djokovic and Nadal, and he would dictate play with his forehand and put balls away. That summer, he was perhaps a bit too aggressive for his game, but now he's swung the other way and is not taking opportunities he has.
3) More consistent first serve. That would help both of the above, by putting him in charge of the point early and covering up his second serve.
3)

jones101
12-06-2009, 01:47 PM
1) Improve his second serve. It's a severe liability.
2) Be more aggressive. He CAN be. Last summer, he was. I remember watching his matches against Djokovic and Nadal, and he would dictate play with his forehand and put balls away. That summer, he was perhaps a bit too aggressive for his game, but now he's swung the other way and is not taking opportunities he has.
3) More consistent first serve. That would help both of the above, by putting him in charge of the point early and covering up his second serve.
3)

His second serve has not improved since last year, I think it looks even more tentative than last year at times.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Brain

10 char

kishnabe
12-06-2009, 01:52 PM
His second serve, he needs to change the grip on his forehand and really lung at the ball, he is adept at net but is a big pansy to even try that. He also needs to stop saying come on after people unforced errors and really need to be better at vernting his frustration into mental concentration. If he does that he might win one slam.

President
12-06-2009, 02:11 PM
He doesn't necessarily need a more aggressive mindset. I know that his game is boring to watch , and that's probably why many people want him to change, but I don't think that's the problem. He can beat pretty much anyone in the world when he's playing well.

The real liability is his inconsistent serve. His 1st serve is great when it's on, but it goes through bad patches very frequently. Because of that, he has to hit a lot of 2nd serves, and Murray has the worst 2nd serve in the top 10. That's saying something when we have a man who is 5'10.

kOaMaster
12-06-2009, 02:42 PM
better serve.

doesn't help to be a great returner when you get broken all the time yourself.

bertrevert
12-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Just saw that WTC rr in London where Fed wins in 3 against Murray.

Voted for more aggressive mindset.

Murray was leaving his BH short at about the service line T far too often. Fed puts those away all day. His 2nd serve was just not deep and biting enough. His BH slice was atrocious.

Murray certainly can win a GS. But, similarly to when he lost to Verdasco in AO, he sort of goes into a defensive shell against an aggressive player (Fed stepped it up after losing the first set).

I think it is hard to put your finger on and that's why this poll is interesting.

JeMar
12-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Someone with volleys as good as his should be coming into the net at least twice a game.

Cyan
12-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Improve his fitness even more so he can last 7 matches of BO5.

jaggy
12-06-2009, 04:27 PM
He seems to be so vulnerable to the guy in the zone, more than others and its strange that he cant change or make adjustments as he has so many options.

jones101
12-07-2009, 06:41 AM
He seems to be so vulnerable to the guy in the zone, more than others and its strange that he cant change or make adjustments as he has so many options.

If he came to the net more wouldnt that stop guys from attacking a little bit?

He did nothing in the Cilic match and let him dictate, if he came it would have forced Cilic more.

pc1
12-07-2009, 07:00 AM
I'm not sure if he needs any major improvement to be able to win a slam. His strokes are as good as anyone's in tennis and I don't see any major weaknesses in his game.

Maybe he may change relying on his defensive game as much or perhaps he could cut down on his video game playing.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
12-07-2009, 07:13 AM
The title says it all, everyone can pick 3 options.

Murray is the only one left out of the top players to not have a big title.
The other top 5 all have GS, so does Roddick and Davy has a YEC. What does he need to improve to win a GS?

Id say everything you listed as a poll option. I dont see what Alex Corretja does to him? He sure as hell aint gonna teach him how to play agressive.

If i were Murray i would have fired half of his entourage.

cknobman
12-07-2009, 07:28 AM
I chose everything.

Murray sucks when it counts at the slams.

vanity
12-07-2009, 07:36 AM
Id say everything you listed as a poll option. I dont see what Alex Corretja does to him? He sure as hell aint gonna teach him how to play agressive.

If i were Murray i would have fired half of his entourage.

Murray getting rid of half his team will only make him drop in the rankings. The reason why he's won MS events and reach such high ranking is because of them. Murray said himself that he enjoys being around several people instead of having one coach. Just look at what happened with Brad Gilbert, far from a stable partnership.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
12-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Murray getting rid of half his team will only make him drop in the rankings. The reason why he's won MS events and reach such high ranking is because of them. Murray said himself that he enjoys being around several people instead of having one coach. Just look at what happened with Brad Gilbert, far from a stable partnership.

Yes, but working with 4-5 people where 3 of them are doing basically the exact same job? I understand he likes to be around a larger group of people but it also makes it a lot tougher on who to get blaimed if the results are bad. 2-3 tops would be enough though imo. What does Alex Corretja do for him? During the clay-swing-SURE! But i saw him in both the USO and the WTF.

Toxicmilk
12-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Stop playing COD.

T1000
12-07-2009, 07:35 PM
stop pushing
stop cmoning after UEs
stop hitting every 1st serve like you want to be roddick
hit a real second serve

JoelDali
12-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Go drinking with Tiger Woods. Take Gasquet out for dining and dancing.