PDA

View Full Version : My division 1 college tennis future

gino
12-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Hey everyone, I am a 16 year old junior from northern california. I am a junior this year at De La Salle High School and I have improved my tennis dramatically in the past few years. I am 5 feet 7 inches, I play with a semi western forehand, one handed backhand, solid fitness, and big serve. I am an all court player with solid volleys off both sides and doubles experience. I have been playing tennis since age 11.

I am ranked 155 in northern california and 2014 nationally in boy's 18 singles. I realize that my rankings are low but I have just moved up to 18's. I was wondering what you all think my chances are of playing at a division 1 school as a walk on, or maybe getting a division 2 scholarship?

My top schools of interest are Loyola Marymount, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, UC Santa Barbara, Pepperdine, University of San Diego, Pomona College, Claremont College, and Saint Mary's College.

Thanks everyone,
Gino

Fedace
12-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Pepperdine ?? They have lots of foreign recruits and it is going to be tough there. UC santa barbara and UCSD would be good choices. Saint Mary's is tougher than you think. but Once again have your priorities set.
1. Academics first then
2. tennis second.
You have 2 years to improve your tennis dramatically. You will be surprised how much and how fast you can improve when you are a Junior player. Save up some Money and go to a good Summer camp like Bolletieri summer camp for Juniors. It can really pay off. Also if you can find a good Coach locally and get some advice. There are many in your area.

gino
12-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Yes Pepperdine :) my high school coach is really good friends with the head coach at Pepperdine and says realistically I have division 1 potential. Thanks for the response Fedace, I am currently training with 2 coaches in Livermore California. My main coach Andrew Fearnside was an ATP pro and former coach of Donald Young, Laura Granville, and several other successful juniors.

My academics are strong, I am currently taking several AP classes and my GPA is around 3.8 and I will be taking my SAT in january.

Do you really think a camp at Bolletieri's would help me improve dramatically? Financially that might not be an option for my family.

Anyone else have thoughts on my game?

Thanks again everyone

Fedace
12-06-2009, 04:49 PM
^^Gino, you sound like a GREAT teen. Only if more kids were like you, we would have less troubled teens in this country. I love your Outlook and Attitude. If you are good enough to play at Pepperdine by 18, and with your GPA improving,,who knows, there maybe a place for you at Stanford. Sky is the limit for a person like you. Have you ever talked to Coach Whitlinger ? He is a great guy and easy to talk to.
and yes, advanced camps like Bolletieri's can help. I was a small kid when i was a teen and i pretty much gave up on the idea of having a big serve. but i found out different when i went there. I actually developed a pretty decent powerful serve and found out height wasn't the limiting factor. and they offer so many other great services like mental training and Yoga to improve flexibility and so on...... but i do understand that money is a issue.

Jonny S&V
12-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Do you really think a camp at Bolletieri's would help me improve dramatically? Financially that might not be an option for my family.

Anyone else have thoughts on my game?

Thanks again everyone

I don't think that Bolletieri's or most any other tennis camp would be highly beneficial to you. Bolletieri's junior program in particular is tailor-made to wanna-be pro's/high level DI tennis players. You sound like a good player, but going to one of these camps won't make you an outstanding player.

One thing that I would suggest is that you get a variety of different practice partners. Better than you, worse than you, counter-puncher, S&Ver, etc... The more different players you play, the easier it will be for you in the long run (not to mention you have no excuse, save for academics to play a lot of tennis, you're in freakin' Cali for Pete's sake). Also, keep fit and avoid injuries like the plague!

gino
12-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the advice Fedace. My parents have done a pretty awesome job raising me and kept me in good schools for a while now. I have had a recent setback with being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes (last week actually). So at this moment I am skeptical of where I fit in with college tennis. Although there have been many successful type 1 diabetic athletes.. including Arthur Ashe and Bill Tabert (both hall of fame tennis players). I'm not going to let diabetes hold me back; the day I was released from the hospital I went straight to a training session.

I would love to talk to Coach Whitlinger and it would be a dream to play at Stanford haha. I am not sure they would be interested in someone with my rankings at this time.

Fedace
12-06-2009, 04:56 PM
I don't think that Bolletieri's or most any other tennis camp would be highly beneficial to you. Bolletieri's junior program in particular is tailor-made to wanna-be pro's/high level DI tennis players. You sound like a good player, but going to one of these camps won't make you an outstanding player.

One thing that I would suggest is that you get a variety of different practice partners. Better than you, worse than you, counter-puncher, S&Ver, etc... The more different players you play, the easier it will be for you in the long run (not to mention you have no excuse, save for academics to play a lot of tennis, you're in freakin' Cali for Pete's sake). Also, keep fit and avoid injuries like the plague!

Not really agree. Going to a World class camp like Bolletieri's is a eye opening experience. Hitting with top college or Junior players in the country only improves your tennis and coaches there offer advices that noone else can give. It teaches you how to compete and play against top players, players better than you. and tells you what and how you need to improve your tennis to get there. and + other services that they provide like mental training and physical training programs are bar none....:)

gino
12-06-2009, 04:58 PM

Thanks so much for the advice, I was actually considering switching up practice partners..

Jonny S&V
12-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Not really agree. Going to a World class camp like Bolletieri's is a eye opening experience. Hitting with top college or Junior players in the country only improves your tennis and coaches there offer advices that noone else can give. It teaches you how to compete and play against top players, players better than you. and tells you what and how you need to improve your tennis to get there. and + other services that they provide like mental training and physical training programs are bar none....:)

Not for the price. :)

Fedace
12-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Not for the price. :)

Do agree that it is pretty expensive. i was a bit lucky in that my father paid for everything and didn't have to worry about money. but i had friends that worked on spare time to save up the money. and with little help from your family, they were able to go...:)

Fedace
12-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Sorry Gino, but crowd tonight seem to be more interested in Miley Cyrus and who is going to win the next 4 slams.........Sad....i thought there would be responses from the forum tonight...

gino
12-06-2009, 05:32 PM
It's totally alright, hopefully some more people will read this tomorrow. I don't need instant answers now :)...
Fedace did you attend Bolletieri's? and do you know coach Whitlinger personally?

Itagaki
12-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Well for SMC you should definitely come down and watch a match during the season to get an idea of how you stack up

not like you live all that far away

although i can say that the majority of the team is foreign, so im not sure how competitive it will be, but at least you have relatively easy access to the campus, might even be able to talk to the coach if you're lucky

gino
12-06-2009, 05:55 PM
I was planning on going to a match soon, the one against Loyola Marymount actually in February...

Another question for all you guys, what are my chances as a walk on at the division 1 schools i listed?

goran_ace
12-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Forget about IMG/Bollettieri. You don't get that world class training unless you enroll full time and are one of the top kids there. Check out the tennis camps offered on campus at your schools. Its a great way to get the coach to notice you and unofficially try out for the team.

http://www.gostanford.com/camps/tennis-camp.html

Fedace
12-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Forget about IMG/Bollettieri. You don't get that world class training unless you enroll full time and are one of the top kids there. Check out the tennis camps offered on campus at your schools. Its a great way to get the coach to notice you and unofficially try out for the team.

http://www.gostanford.com/camps/tennis-camp.html

Agree with you but most of the kids that show up at these camps aren't very high level. but it is a GREAT chance to meet the coaching staff and introduce yourself. :) and don't work too hard to save up the money for Bolletieri's if money is a real problem. It was worth it for me just cause i developed a shot there i didn't have before....

gino
12-06-2009, 08:25 PM
I had a chance to talk with Dick Guold last spring at the Stanford USC match (my high school coach knows Dick also) and I'm just tentative about pursuing Stanford because they are so selective. Any thoughts?

Fedace
12-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I had a chance to talk with Dick Guold last spring at the Stanford USC match (my high school coach knows Dick also) and I'm just tentative about pursuing Stanford because they are so selective. Any thoughts?

If you are in top 30 in boys 18's, they will be interested. and you leave many options open, and don't get caught up on 1 school. Stanford isn't the be all, and end all. Think of it as you being the selector, and making it your choice to go where you want to go. I know making the Varsity team is important to you but Tennis is just a part of your college experience. Academics, student life, enjoying the college life in every aspect is all part of great experience when you are in school. Think of Stanford as just one of many great schools that could offer a great college + tennis experience for you and consider all options. there are many colleges in the area that can offer you both Great Aceademics and Tennis.
and yes i did attend a summer camp at Bolletieri's and i do know coach Whitlinger but i would rather not go into details in the talk forum.

gino
12-06-2009, 08:46 PM
If you are in top 30 in boys 18's, they will be interested. and you leave many options open, and don't get caught up on 1 school. Stanford isn't the be all, and end all. Think of it as you being the selector, and making it your choice to go where you want to go. I know making the Varsity team is important to you but Tennis is just a part of your college experience. Academics, student life, enjoying the college life in every aspect is all part of great experience when you are in school. Think of Stanford as just one of many great schools that could offer a great college + tennis experience for you and consider all options. there are many colleges in the area that can offer you both Great Aceademics and Tennis.
and yes i did attend a summer camp at Bolletieri's and i do know coach Whitlinger but i would rather not go into details in the talk forum.

Thanks again :) and i appreciate it. I know i have potential to play d 1 level tennis. Maybe if youre interested we could talk outside the forum by email if youre up to it? if not thats totally fine.

yonexxx
12-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Sorry Gino, but crowd tonight seem to be more interested in Miley Cyrus and who is going to win the next 4 slams.........Sad....i thought there would be responses from the forum tonight...

what happened to miley cyrus?

OleNole
12-07-2009, 07:45 AM
The lowest ranked player I could find listed as commited to a D1 or D2 school by tennisrecruiting.net is rated by them as the #63 player in California, number 388 nationally, and a 2 star recruit. He is also #33 in Norcal according to the november usta rankings.
You've mentioned you've got a few well connected coaches willing to vouch for your ability as a D1 propect, and it's still early in signing season, so you could probably get away with being slightly lower ranked; I'd still say your goal ought to be at least top 50 in Norcal 18s by the end of this summer, which is a jump of more than 100 places.

My advice:
To get your ranking up, you're going to need to play as many usta tournaments as possible.
You might want to look into prep schools where you could do a post-grad year, particularly if you'll still be 18 for the majority of that year so you could continue to play usta tournaments.
Play for your high school team. You get valuable reps without the crazy fees the usta charges.
Most importantly, don't put tennis before academics when you're applying to schools. If its your dream to go to Stanford or Pomona or one of the UC's and you can get in, there will be chances to play there, whether it's club or intramurals or something else.

gino
12-08-2009, 04:11 PM
thanks for the reply, i believe i can get to those numbers. i appreciate the help from everyone. anything else you all think just post and i'll definitely take the advice :]

advantagetennis1
12-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks again :) and i appreciate it. I know i have potential to play d 1 level tennis. Maybe if youre interested we could talk outside the forum by email if youre up to it? if not thats totally fine.

gino im sorry man but from the way things are looking now you wont be able to play at any of the schools you just listed... much less pepperdine. your going to have to improve alot... i mean a ton to even be able to walk on to one of the lower schools on your list. D1 tennis is really really tough. im top 300 b18s nationally and i wouldnt be recruited by pepperdine. focus instead on being the best player you can be, everything else will come. goodluck.

T10s747
12-11-2009, 07:25 AM
I am ranked 155 in northern california and 2014 nationally in boy's 18 singles. I realize that my rankings are low but I have just moved up to 18's. I was wondering what you all think my chances are of playing at a division 1 school as a walk on, or maybe getting a division 2 scholarship?

My top schools of interest are Loyola Marymount, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, UC Santa Barbara, Pepperdine, University of San Diego, Pomona College, Claremont College, and Saint Mary's College.

Thanks everyone,
Gino

Set you sights lower. Focus on Pamona, Claremont or the D-3 schools in New England. You should have your tennis help you get into a good academic school. These schools can't recruit top players so they have more interest in guys like you who have good academics.

Tenniswise, play as many sectional tournamnets as you can so you can get match tough and your ranking will improve as your game and experience improves. IMG would be a waste for you, stay with privates which are better anyways. There's enough competition in CA.

Kick_It
12-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Great advice above.

I'd suggest that priority 1, 2, and 3 for you should be to find the right college academically unless you will always and _only_ aspire to make a living as a tennis instructor or high-school tennis coach.

Chase your dream and give yourself a shot to see how far you can go - but don't compromise your academics and career aspirations (whatever they may be) in doing so. Have some fun along the way. Do what you can to live your life with no regrets down the road.

FWIW(1): I was a walk-on for a year at a D1 team in a very competitive conference - 20+ years ago; most teams were ranked in top 25 in nation, and our conference opponents included defending NCAA champs. It was hard for me to get playing time in conference matches, but I found out where I was at in the big picture, quickly.

FWIW(2): I had a higher sectional rank as a junior (in a different section) than you at your age.

Now at age 43 - I'm an example of the NCAA commercials where the majority of athletes "go pro" in something other than their sport. I have a career based upon my major (which had nothing to do with sports) and can look back at the experience with fond memories and no regrets. Along the way- I'd say my college tennis experience helped me learn great life lessons - though it didn't help me graduate in 4 years; it took me 5.

Good Luck! K_I

gino
12-12-2009, 11:39 AM
gino im sorry man but from the way things are looking now you wont be able to play at any of the schools you just listed... much less pepperdine. your going to have to improve alot... i mean a ton to even be able to walk on to one of the lower schools on your list. D1 tennis is really really tough. im top 300 b18s nationally and i wouldnt be recruited by pepperdine. focus instead on being the best player you can be, everything else will come. goodluck.

thanks for the advice.. i agree about pepperdine, but its worth a shot.
i've only played about 6 18's tournaments and 1 national tourney so i dont think you can judge my skill level by my results. i have friends who are top 200 nationally and top 30 in norcal and i beat them in practice sets. i just need more matchplay and obviously a better ranking...
ill post my college video on this thread sometime within the next week and a half and maybe you guys can let me know what you think?
Thanks all,
Gino

advantagetennis1
12-12-2009, 03:25 PM
i've only played about 6 18's tournaments and 1 national tourney so i dont think you can judge my skill level by my results. i have friends who are top 200 nationally and top 30 in norcal and i beat them in practice sets. i just need more matchplay and obviously a better ranking...
ill post my college video on this thread sometime within the next week and a half and maybe you guys can let me know what you think?
Thanks all,
Gino

a more accurate gauge of your abilities would be your tennisrecruiting ranking which has no basis on the amount of tournaments you play but rather head to head. you should be at least top 200 in the nation for your class. hope this helps.

DownTheLine
12-12-2009, 04:39 PM
When FEDACE said gino could even play at Stanford I quit reading this thread.

gino
12-12-2009, 05:31 PM
When FEDACE said gino could even play at Stanford I quit reading this thread.

Well thats kinda rude. If you don't have anything positive or at least constructive to say then please don't post anything.
Thanks all, keep the advice coming,
Gino

DownTheLine
12-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Well thats kinda rude. If you don't have anything positive or at least constructive to say then please don't post anything.
Thanks all, keep the advice coming,
Gino

It's not rude. It's honest. Ryan Thacher was the number one recruit in 2008 and he plays 3 at Stanford.

You going to Pepperdine is way out of reach to with your rankings right now. Like a post above for you to even be considered by High level DI school you pretty much have to be top 75-100 in the nation.

We will be able to give you alot more advice and what we think of your game when you post that video of you playing.

BTW that was constructive to say. Fedace probably made your head so big people on the moon could see it.

gino
12-12-2009, 07:41 PM
It's not rude. It's honest. Ryan Thacher was the number one recruit in 2008 and he plays 3 at Stanford.

You going to Pepperdine is way out of reach to with your rankings right now. Like a post above for you to even be considered by High level DI school you pretty much have to be top 75-100 in the nation.

We will be able to give you alot more advice and what we think of your game when you post that video of you playing.

BTW that was constructive to say. Fedace probably made your head so big people on the moon could see it.

Well this is a lot better than saying you refuse to read the thread :p
Thanks for clearing that up though, I'll get the video up next week for you guys so stay tuned.. I understand what it takes, one of my coaches was a walk on at cal poly and he played little to no national tournaments in his junior days. Despite that I plan on consistently playing the norcal national tournaments.

My top choice is Loyola Marymount, I love it there. Does anyone know about the program? I do know that they have a good amount of foreign recruits..

Thanks All,
Gino

T10s747
12-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks all,
Gino

I think you have to show good wins and rankings. There are plenty of guys who can win practice sets but they find a way to lose tournamnet matches because they choke and get tight. You need to ramp up your experience curve and show results.

jamauss
12-12-2009, 09:32 PM
De La Salle!?? AARRRRGGHH we hated you guys back when I played for Antioch. hahaha. You still play your matches at Valley Vista?

DownTheLine
12-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Well this is a lot better than saying you refuse to read the thread :p
Thanks for clearing that up though, I'll get the video up next week for you guys so stay tuned.. I understand what it takes, one of my coaches was a walk on at cal poly and he played little to no national tournaments in his junior days. Despite that I plan on consistently playing the norcal national tournaments.

My top choice is Loyola Marymount, I love it there. Does anyone know about the program? I do know that they have a good amount of foreign recruits..

Thanks All,
Gino

You do have the right mind set. Play as many tournaments as you can. Also, don't count on walk-ons alot of schools don't do that from what I have heard.

Jonny S&V
12-13-2009, 12:35 PM
a more accurate gauge of your abilities would be your tennisrecruiting ranking which has no basis on the amount of tournaments you play but rather head to head. you should be at least top 200 in the nation for your class. hope this helps.

Tennis Recruiting rankings aren't really that reliable either, coaches go off of your tournament results more than the rankings. The best thing to do is make a video (like you said you are doing) and send it to these coaches.

gino
12-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Yes we still play at Valley Vista...
I will be playing #1 this season.

Video will be posted by next wednesday,
thanks for the advice. any other ideas?

MomentumGT
12-17-2009, 10:31 AM
I was able to walk onto a D1 team with a low usta ranking for 1 season. The school just switched from D3 to D1 so it was definitely a new program then.

My highest ranking was #83 b18 singles and #16 b18 dubs SoCal. I played a season at the local community college which I think made the difference from jumping from the Jr.'s to actually playing grown men. I went undefeated in singles and dubs at 6 singles and 3 dubs and did well in sectionals in both and almost qualified for the Norcal vs Socal State tournament they have at the end of the season.

When I transferred to the University I had no desire to play tennis, but for some reason took a look at the roster and found my old HS team mate that "rode the pine" when we played so I said why not? LOL. Also the #2 player at the time on the D1 team I had a win against him in Jr. College in one of the intercollegiate tourneys we had.

It's definitely not impossible, as I was able to do it with a halfhearted effort, but its going to take a lot of luck as well. Some of the Uni's you listed are top notch as mine was a fledgling program. GL and let us know how it turns out.

-Jon

TennisKid1
12-18-2009, 12:18 PM
USTA definitely helps but it might not be a necesity at the moment. Work on your game and if your coach does have connections, then he can probably help you to be a walk on. Keep up your academics because colleges like well rounded people that can proritize their future over sports.

gino
12-21-2009, 09:52 AM
filming the video today guys...
stay posted
Gino

skyzoo
12-21-2009, 10:14 AM
filming the video today guys...
stay posted
Gino
i'm glued to my computer waiting bro

DownTheLine
12-22-2009, 09:50 AM
i'm glued to my computer waiting bro

I've been glued for about 36 hours 27 minutes and 45 seconds.

Where's it at?

advantagetennis1
12-22-2009, 10:01 AM

Where's it at?

gino i looked you up on tennisrecruting your a 2200 junior. you need to just hit the courts and try to be the best you can be. for solid d1 tennis you need to get that number to top 200. just have fun with tennis and keep your academics up and see where it takes u.

skyzoo
12-22-2009, 01:22 PM

Where's it at?
I just want to go to sleep. i'm tired of waiting

DownTheLine
12-22-2009, 04:44 PM
I just want to go to sleep. i'm tired of waiting

43 hours this better be worth it.

gino
12-22-2009, 06:33 PM
working on it as we speak guys, its looking really good. i am hitting all my strokes, serves, volleys, overheads, and some matchplay with different angles. just wait it out a little longer haha... it will be worth it :)

gino
12-22-2009, 06:34 PM
gino i looked you up on tennisrecruting your a 2200 junior. you need to just hit the courts and try to be the best you can be. for solid d1 tennis you need to get that number to top 200. just have fun with tennis and keep your academics up and see where it takes u.

thanks for the reply, i think im capable ok d-1 take a look at my vid when i post it... thanks again
gino

skyzoo
12-22-2009, 06:44 PM
working on it as we speak guys, its looking really good. i am hitting all my strokes, serves, volleys, overheads, and some matchplay with different angles. just wait it out a little longer haha... it will be worth it :)
i just finished my whole bottle of no-doze. HURRY UP

DownTheLine
12-22-2009, 07:47 PM
So how long sir? 47 hours and counting...

skyzoo
12-23-2009, 06:46 AM
So how long sir? 47 hours and counting...
Do you think gino knows that theres due dates for papers in college? Your prof. won't wait like we will buddy. F+

andfor
12-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Do you think gino knows that theres due dates for papers in college? Your prof. won't wait like we will buddy. F+ It took Obama 4 months to pick a dog. Give him at least 4 days to post the vid.

DownTheLine
12-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Were kidding jeesh.

skyzoo
12-24-2009, 06:56 AM
i've never waited this long for anything EVER!

DownTheLine
12-24-2009, 07:19 AM
i've never waited this long for anything EVER!

Don't be mad at me I went to bed for 12 minutes and 23.76 seconds.

Fedace
12-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Do you think gino knows that theres due dates for papers in college? Your prof. won't wait like we will buddy. F+

F+, had no idea there was such a grade. Gino must be pretty impressive if you are willing to stick this long to the computer....:-?

fruitytennis1
12-25-2009, 05:58 PM
UMM wheres the V? I? D? E? O?

gino
12-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Sorry guys I'm new to this video editing. Should be done by the 26th or 27th. Thanks for waiting everyone, I really do appreciate it.

skyzoo
12-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Sorry guys I'm new to this video editing. Should be done by the 26th or 27th. Thanks for waiting everyone, I really do appreciate it.
You better get it up before my match at 7

gino
12-29-2009, 01:39 PM
here it is everyone...
how you all enjoy, let me know what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOEw8mcW7Y4[/QUOTE]

MomentumGT
12-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Not a bad vid. . .no wonder it took so long. LOL.

-Jon

bieker
12-31-2009, 08:38 PM
here it is everyone...
how you all enjoy, let me know what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOEw8mcW7Y4[/QUOTE]

Your strokes look pretty good.

You need to push through your backhand volley more. You tend to drop and open the racket head too much.

Also don't show bad posture and frustration when you lose points... especially on your college video lol.

Kaz00
12-31-2009, 10:53 PM
sweet one handed backhand nice video!

DownTheLine
01-01-2010, 04:57 AM
I just watched you playing points at the end of the video and you need to get the ball alot deeper. Look at 7:36 your coming into the net and you hit your approach shot on the service line right to him. the ball needs to get alot deeper.

Jdrizzle03
01-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Hey, I enjoyed watching your video. As a fellow junior i would just suggest working as hard as you can as long as you can. Seeing that youur blesses with warm weather and sunshine use it to your advantage, i have to go indoors for the winter. Don't play attention to just numbers, they can be deceiving. I beat kids in the top 1000 and my ranking isnt as good as theirs. Every college is good if you want to play and enjoy it.

Brock
01-01-2010, 08:14 PM
The lowest ranked player I could find listed as commited to a D1 or D2 school by tennisrecruiting.net ].

Gonna have to disagree there...
http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/team.asp?id=17

there are many other schools, too.

T10s747
01-03-2010, 05:57 AM
Dude, you need to bend your knees for power and move forward when you hit. You are htting too upright.

MC10S
01-18-2010, 11:15 AM
MOST of the top-flite D1 players are the top juniors in the country. Most are playing in the 18's by at least the age of 16.

I hate to bust on you, but pepperdine might have a connection to your coach, but on limited scholarships, they aren't gonna give you the "buddy system" scholarship. You might be offered a "spot" on the team.

You can improve a lot in 2 years, but you REALLY need to focus a lot on the opportunities you actually have in CALI if you can't make the D1. There are SO many great college tennis programs out there.

Best of luck!

MC10s,
Contributor
D3tennis.com