PDA

View Full Version : How harsh is a full job of Kirschbaum P2

ManuGinobili
12-06-2009, 07:51 PM
The stringer I go to say I should not try a full job of P2 because it feels like kevlar and will kill the arm... He proceeded to hybrid it with Super Smash in the cross.
I liked the combo, however tension started dropping noticably after 6-8 hours, and it goes dead after 10-12... the Super Smash almost cut through the P2 when I brought it to him.
I want to try a full job of P2 because it's supposed to last longer than this hybrid.
Do you guys think it's that harsh on the arm (esp on an unforgiving racket like the Speed MP)?

(P.S. The stringer put Basic Poly in for the Super Smash, and upped the P2 to 1.30 from 1.25, will try that out this week.)

Court_Jester
12-06-2009, 09:38 PM
The stringer I go to say I should not try a full job of P2 because it feels like kevlar and will kill the arm...
PFFT! P2 is one of the softer co-polys in the market right now. I don't know where he got this full bed P2 = kevlar comparison nonsense.

He proceeded to hybrid it with Super Smash in the cross.
Ugh! Super Smash is an older generation string and it is harsher and stiffer than P2. So why would he put the harsher string on the cross? That would only make the string bed stiffer. It should have been the other way around.

I liked the combo, however tension started dropping noticably after 6-8 hours, and it goes dead after 10-12... the Super Smash almost cut through the P2 when I brought it to him.
The rule of thumb is that polys don't retain their tensions for a long time, even for modern co-polys.

I want to try a full job of P2 because it's supposed to last longer than this hybrid.
Do you guys think it's that harsh on the arm (esp on an unforgiving racket like the Speed MP)?
Are you talking about Speed Pro (70RA)? Compared to your previous hybrid, a full P2 string bed will feel softer.

(P.S. The stringer put Basic Poly in for the Super Smash, and upped the P2 to 1.30 from 1.25, will try that out this week.)
I haven't used the Basic Poly but I think it's an even older generation (or formulation) poly. Don't expect this to be soft at all. Just go for the full P2 (17G/1.25). Thinner gauge has a crisper feel, IMO.

ace0001a
12-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Yeah man, your stringer needs to do update his knowledge of strings. Most likely he just goes by the generalization that all polys are stiff.