PDA

View Full Version : Which legendary stroke would you most want to have?

Changmaster
12-06-2009, 09:16 PM
As the title says: If you could pick only one all-time great shot, which would you most want for yourself, and why?

nfor304
12-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Sampras serve

Dreamcastin
12-06-2009, 09:44 PM
karlovic serve

okdude1992
12-06-2009, 09:47 PM
karlovic serve
hell yea. sampras' serve sucked ;)
jk. but karlovic just has a monster serve

vndesu
12-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Michael changs underhand serve.

boredone3456
12-06-2009, 10:06 PM
The Karlovic 1st Serve
The Sampras 2nd Serve
and for a change....The Evert Lob :)

i8myshirt
12-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Djokovic dropshot.

IvanAndreevich
12-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Djokovic dropshot.

But that always chokes on important points :)

Skabeast121
12-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Murray forehand pass that thing is wicked

OHBH
12-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Had to pick the Edberg volley. my serve is pretty good i just want to back it up better

papucla10
12-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Feds Forehand, it has won him 15 GS

Knightmace
12-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Coria's serve jk

Federer's forehand!!!!!!!!!!!

i8myshirt
12-06-2009, 11:19 PM
But that always chokes on important points :)

Djokovic randomly hitting one of those dropshots and sinking it to the net has always made me laugh. :)

iamke55
12-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Why would anyone pick Agassi's return? You already get half of it if you pick Agassi's backhand.

P_Agony
12-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Fed's forehand, but not the current one.

Deodorant
12-06-2009, 11:35 PM
i want a 100+mph serve. so i'd have to say the man SAMPRAS

35ft6
12-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Sampras serve. Hands down.

dropshot winner
12-07-2009, 12:31 AM
Definately not some pro's serve, even though mine sucks badly.
I mean what's so great having a great serve when the rest of you game sucks or is average? It would make you another Karlovic.

Federer's forehand would be nice, but it wouldn't be nearly as good without his footwork, so I'd probably take either Federer's peak movement/footwork (2005), or on clay, Coria's.

MarrratSafin
12-07-2009, 12:41 AM
The Karlovic serve, and Safin backhand. That'd be more than enough!:twisted:

lawrence
12-07-2009, 01:07 AM
hewitts lob

because people come in to the net a lot at my level and im too scrubby to pull good passing shots off lol

fps
12-07-2009, 02:07 AM
i think i'd want the federer forehand.

because

at my level, having the sampras serve would be great for my service games, though incredibly boring for my opponent and me, but not much good when it came to breaking

whereas federer's forehand could be used game after game after game....

and i'd get a serious thrill out of hitting a ball like that :)

sh@de
12-07-2009, 02:36 AM
Fed forehand, but then not the current one (which isn't the best anymore).

Ocean Drive
12-07-2009, 03:39 AM
Marat Safin backhand.

dlk
12-07-2009, 03:43 AM
Sampras serve; that would elevate my game tremendously. I probably couldn't handle the return if my opponent could touch it:)

pound cat
12-07-2009, 03:49 AM
Federerer's backhand, but not the current one.

Jchurch
12-07-2009, 06:32 AM
Federer forehand for sure. It would be fun to rip crazy winners out of my ***.

ronalditop
12-07-2009, 06:48 AM

This comment made me lol for some reason.

pc1
12-07-2009, 06:57 AM
Being that the serve is the most important stroke, I'll go with the Sampras serve. Like Agassi said (referring to Sampras' ability to hold serve), Pete can play badly for 42 minutes, play well for 1 minute and win the set.

That's pretty impressive.

jimbo333
12-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Connors backhand return!

Reckon could break serve at any time:)

LafayetteHitter
12-07-2009, 07:02 AM
Becker's serve

pc1
12-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Connors backhand return!

Reckon could break serve at any time:)

Now that's an awesome stroke.

PimpMyGame
12-07-2009, 07:15 AM
It couldn't be anything awesome and used frequently, otherwise nobody would want to play me...

Therefore my vote goes for the Sampras smash - looks great and you could have a good laugh with it.

MethodTennis
12-07-2009, 07:44 AM
roddick serve

borg number one
12-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Bjorn Borg's forehand.

Andres
12-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Ivanisevic's serve.

kishnabe
12-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Sampras serve is what i's want. I've only emulate and it worked only 5 out 240 times. I would want that motion to be perfect. Federer forehand would be an optiong but anyone can have a great forehand. Maybe not as great as federer's but at least good enough for me. McEnroe volleys, If I had them i would really get into those baseline basher minds. I'd rather want Nalbandian R.O.S than connors and agassi. Nalbandian returns really well when he is on.

NamRanger
12-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Goran's serve.

Kobble
12-07-2009, 08:38 AM
So hard, but I'm tempted to say the Guga backhand.

I think the Sampras serve or Federer forehand would get you the farthest, however.

srinrajesh
12-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Karlovic Serve

his serve backed up by my other shots wud be deadly

SirSweetSpot
12-07-2009, 08:54 AM
The David Nalbandian down-the-line-backhand winner.

illkhiboy
12-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Why would anyone pick Agassi's return? You already get half of it if you pick Agassi's backhand.

True but one of Agassi's great skills is his quick hands which are especially useful on the return. There are plenty of great returners out there, like Nalbandian for instance. He routinely hits the inside-out backhand on the return which Agassi didn't do much often and not as well as Nalbandian. However what made Agassi's return such a threat was that he hardly ever, or probably never, had to chip that forehand return. Often enough great returners like Federer and Nalbandian are forced to chip that forehand return on the first serve because they are ready with the backhand grip. Personally I struggle to always return that first serve with the semi-western on my forehand. Hence I'd seriously consider Agassi's return as opposed to the backhand alone.

But if I had Sampras' serve, I can get by with chipping a few forehand returns right?

kOaMaster
12-07-2009, 09:43 AM
federers i/o forehand.

vandre
12-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Michael changs underhand serve.

do you want that with or without the cramps??? :twisted: jk

Joe Pike
12-07-2009, 10:34 AM
As the title says: If you could pick only one all-time great shot, which would you most want for yourself, and why?

Graf's forehand.

Why?
They would call me "Mr. Forehand"!

flyinghippos101
12-07-2009, 11:04 AM
It couldn't be anything awesome and used frequently, otherwise nobody would want to play me...

Therefore my vote goes for the Sampras smash - looks great and you could have a good laugh with it.

If I could have one incredible stroke, I definately wouldn't waste it on Sampras' slam dunk :neutral:

nadalfan1992
12-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Sampras serve
Federer forehand
Agassi backhand
Edberg volley
Agassi return of serve
I wish I could have of that I know you said one But I chose two

Sampras serve and either Agassi's backhand or Fed's Forehand but for sure Sampras serve.

35ft6
12-07-2009, 11:37 AM
^ To have Karlovic's serve, you would need Karlovic's height. It's the angle that makes it dangerous.Definately not some pro's serve, even though mine sucks badly.
I mean what's so great having a great serve when the rest of you game sucks or is average?That goes for any of the shots. What's the point of having a great forehand... backhand... volley... if the rest of your game sucks? The serve is the most important shot in tennis, so it just makes sense to have that. And not just Sampras. Having any ATP top 50 level serve would instantly make you better. After serve, I would take footwork. If I could be in proper position like the pros it would instantly make my groundstrokes way better.

HunterST
12-07-2009, 11:51 AM
^ To have Karlovic's serve, you would need Karlovic's height. It's the angle that makes it dangerous.That goes for any of the shots. What's the point of having a great forehand... backhand... volley... if the rest of your game sucks? The serve is the most important shot in tennis, so it just makes sense to have that. And not just Sampras. Having any ATP top 50 level serve would instantly make you better. After serve, I would take footwork. If I could be in proper position like the pros it would instantly make my groundstrokes way better.

Yeah you gotta be pretty stupid not to take the serve. Personally I would take Karlovic's. It would elevate your game way more than any other shot. Federer's forehand is amazing but his success has been from a combination of his all of his strokes and his movement. Karlovic's success has basically gotten success only from his serve.

I'd guess that I'm a 3.5, with Karlovic's serve I'd immediately jump to 5.0.

35ft6
12-07-2009, 01:23 PM
I'd guess that I'm a 3.5, with Karlovic's serve I'd immediately jump to 5.0.If you're a 3.5, with Karlovic's motion (assuming you're not 6'10" or however tall he is, therefor the serve will be less potent...), you would be weak 4.5 at best. :)

fps
12-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Yeah you gotta be pretty stupid not to take the serve. Personally I would take Karlovic's. It would elevate your game way more than any other shot. Federer's forehand is amazing but his success has been from a combination of his all of his strokes and his movement. Karlovic's success has basically gotten success only from his serve.

I'd guess that I'm a 3.5, with Karlovic's serve I'd immediately jump to 5.0.

where's the fun in serving like that and having nothing on the return games? if i got a mega shot i'd want to use it all the time and in different situations, not just bang down 4 unreturnables a service game then go back to my rubbish self on the returns, or if the ball magically came back.

mcshift
12-07-2009, 01:29 PM
federer forehand ...with a combination of good footwork you could run around almost every backhand lol

shaysrebelII
12-07-2009, 02:29 PM
I was torn between sampras serve and Federer forehand, so it came down to a beauty contest. therefore, Federer forehand got my vote.

Gugafan
12-07-2009, 02:38 PM
I would take kuertens backhand over any of the shot listed in the poll.

anointedone
12-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Depends what era. In the wood racquets era than the McEnroe volley. In the 90s the Sampras serve by far. In the 2000s the Federer forehand.

anointedone
12-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Graf's forehand.

Why?
They would call me "Mr. Forehand"!

A man wouldnt want her forehand though, well maybe Gasquet would, but not the best players.

AndrewD
12-07-2009, 02:49 PM

Pancho Gonzalez's serve.

President of Serve/Volley
12-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Edberg's FH Volley. Mac's Backhand Volley.

35ft6
12-07-2009, 04:48 PM
where's the fun in serving like that and having nothing on the return games? if i got a mega shot i'd want to use it all the time and in different situations, not just bang down 4 unreturnables a service game then go back to my rubbish self on the returns, or if the ball magically came back.That goes for every other shot as well. If you think hitting 4 unreturnable serves is not fun then take something off, hit kickers out wide, slice it out wide, serve and volley, make it fun. Once you play 5.5 guys, they're going to find your backhand or get you to the net, and even a Fed forehand will have limited utility.

Solid MD
12-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Federer USO 2009 tweener shot

Gonzalez Indian Wells 2009 racquet smash

smack that
12-07-2009, 05:36 PM
federer forehand and wawrnka backhand

HunterST
12-07-2009, 07:03 PM
If you're a 3.5, with Karlovic's motion (assuming you're not 6'10" or however tall he is, therefor the serve will be less potent...), you would be weak 4.5 at best. :)

haha. Yeah I guess if you look at it as just adopting their technique/muscle memory it would be a little different. I was thinking if my serve had the exact same effect on the ball as karlovic's.

Fedace
12-07-2009, 07:05 PM
This is Dumb. Everyone should say SAMPRAS Serve. You will never get broken and you just need to break once to win the set. If you have Federer forehand then they could always hit to your backhand and avoid it................lol

OliverSimon
12-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Wawrinka's backhand :)

Changmaster
12-07-2009, 07:38 PM
This is Dumb. Everyone should say SAMPRAS Serve. You will never get broken and you just need to break once to win the set. If you have Federer forehand then they could always hit to your backhand and avoid it................lol

If the REAL Sampras got broken every now and then, how would an average/recreational player hold serve every time, even with an incredible serve? If you will only be playing recreational players, then yes, you will just about hold serve every time. But even then you wouldn't be guaranteed of winning if you couldn't break your opponent, either. Whereas if you were actually playing someone good, your serve WILL come back, although maybe not that often. As good as Sampras's serve was, it wasn't like his serve was always unreturnable, and he also had his volleys and forehand to back it up. If you had a great serve, you would still need other decent shots to hold serve consistently. I'm not saying picking the Sampras serve would be a poor choice (on the contrary!) but your exaggeration of its power to single-handedly win a match is silly.

As for the Federer forehand, obviously if you had THAT in your arsenal any opponent with a brain would try to hit just about every shot to your backhand. If you're a decent player with good footwork, then you could just cheat to your backhand side and dare your opponent to hit to the open court on your forehand side (sort of like what Sampras did). And obviously, your forehand weapon could potentially be used on every point, whereas an amazing serve would be useless on return games.

volleynets
12-07-2009, 07:40 PM

I couldn't decide between the two. However since my forehand way more effective than my serve I went with serve.

overrotate
12-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Mecir's footwork. It's not a stroke but you can only hit the ball as well as you are balanced and poised to hit it!

NamRanger
12-07-2009, 08:44 PM
If the REAL Sampras got broken every now and then, how would an average/recreational player hold serve every time, even with an incredible serve? If you will only be playing recreational players, then yes, you will just about hold serve every time. But even then you wouldn't be guaranteed of winning if you couldn't break your opponent, either. Whereas if you were actually playing someone good, your serve WILL come back, although maybe not that often. As good as Sampras's serve was, it wasn't like his serve was always unreturnable, and he also had his volleys and forehand to back it up. If you had a great serve, you would still need other decent shots to hold serve consistently. I'm not saying picking the Sampras serve would be a poor choice (on the contrary!) but your exaggeration of its power to single-handedly win a match is silly.

As for the Federer forehand, obviously if you had THAT in your arsenal any opponent with a brain would try to hit just about every shot to your backhand. If you're a decent player with good footwork, then you could just cheat to your backhand side and dare your opponent to hit to the open court on your forehand side (sort of like what Sampras did). And obviously, your forehand weapon could potentially be used on every point, whereas an amazing serve would be useless on return games.

No recreational player will ever return Sampras' serve.

mandy01
12-07-2009, 09:18 PM
This is a fact.

Changmaster
12-07-2009, 09:50 PM

I don't think a recreational player could return ANY decent male pro's serve.

pame
12-08-2009, 02:26 AM
The only thing wrong with the recreational/great shot scenario is that if you actually had a Sampras serve or Fed forehand (just as examples), you'd either more likely be a pro, OR in a short while you might find that everyone else in the club mysteriously had prior arrangements with other players. It's one thing to have the opportunity to hit with a pro once in a while, but who would, recreationally, want to get hammered every single game they played with you? :)

eagle
12-08-2009, 05:07 AM
Okay, here's mine. From relevant to what the...

- Serves (plural): Sampras
- Return: Agassi
- Forehand: Nadal
- Backhand: Federer
- Volley: Sampras
- Overhead: Sampras
- Lob: Agassi
- Slice on both sides: Santoro/Federer
- Dropshot: Federer
- Footwork: Federer
- Speed: Chang
- Mental Toughness/Intensity: Nadal
- Stamina/Endurance: Nadal
- Health/Durability: Federer
- Demeanor: Federer
- Physique: Nadal
- Looks: Verdasco
- Income: Federer
- Come-ons: Nadal
- Lovelife: Philippousis
- Companion: Mrs. Roddick/Mrs. Coria

:)

pc1
12-08-2009, 06:04 AM
Mecir's footwork. It's not a stroke but you can only hit the ball as well as you are balanced and poised to hit it!

If you had Mecir's footwork the rest of your game would be improved. Nice idea.

mandy01
12-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Okay, here's mine. From relevant to what the...

- Serves (plural): Sampras
- Return: Agassi
- Forehand: Nadal
- Backhand: Federer
- Volley: Sampras
- Overhead: Sampras
- Lob: Agassi
- Slice on both sides: Santoro/Federer
- Dropshot: Federer
- Footwork: Federer
- Speed: Chang
- Mental Toughness/Intensity: Nadal
- Stamina/Endurance: Nadal
- Health/Durability: Federer
- Demeanor: Federer
- Physique: Nadal
- Looks: Verdasco
- Income: Federer
- Come-ons: Nadal
- Lovelife: Philippousis
- Companion: Mrs. Roddick/Mrs. Coria

:)
wow..thats quite a list :shock: :)

SirSweetSpot
12-08-2009, 07:49 AM
The Jimmy Connors stutter-steps
The Edberg second serve
The Sampras first serve
The Sampras running forehand
The Nalbandian lob
The Nalbandian drop shot
The Edberg forehand-volley
The Edberg stop-volley
The Edberg angle-volley
The McEnroe backhand volley
The Pat Cash shoestring volley
The Becker stretch volley
The Agassi return of serve
The Federer forehand
The Guga backhand (tied with Edberg backhand, but Guga's more of a weapon)

This is all I want for Christmas, I swear I don't want anything else.

Kobble
12-08-2009, 08:45 AM
No recreational player will ever return Sampras' serve.Maybe, 1 out of ever 25.

tudwell
12-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Sampras serve no contest.

Camilio Pascual
12-08-2009, 10:37 AM
John Holmes

crackbillionair
12-08-2009, 10:59 AM
hell yea. sampras' serve sucked ;)
jk. but karlovic just has a monster serve

People want Karlovic's serve...do they understand that his serve comes with him being 6'9?

Sampras' serve all the way.

OJ ROD
12-08-2009, 11:01 AM

There's just something wrong about that.

makenakai
12-09-2009, 12:00 AM
pancho's serve. Using a wood racquet he was recorded over 129 mph. His serve was so dominant they changed the rules to stop him - one serve (no matter), 3 ft behind the line (no matter).

downdaline
12-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Nadal's Biceps. :D

But seriously... Sampras serve.

dropshot winner
12-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Coria's Yips-2nd serve. Oh wait, I already got that one.

tennisdude083
12-09-2009, 12:58 AM
federer forehand with nadal's ability to play left-handed

xFullCourtTenniSx
12-09-2009, 01:21 AM
Bottom line, you can't argue how well Sampras' serve has served him throughout his career. Unlike the Federer forehand, it has NEVER abandoned him and it makes holding easier and scares your opponents to do more to defend their serves. Federer's forehand is also reliant on footwork and positioning, while Sampras' serve is reliant on the toss. The Sampras serve cannot be avoided or mitigated in it's effects in any way, while the Federer forehand is limited to what you can get to with the forehand while still being able to set up properly to hit a good one. Unless you throw in Fed's footwork in with his forehand, the Sampras serve is the overwhelmingly more logical choice. Even with Fed's footwork, you'd need to throw in his fitness and athletic prowess before I pick that forehand over that serve. Granted I do use a similar style on the forehand, and it's worked very well for me. You have 100% control over what you can do with your serve. For your forehand, your opponent has a say in what you can do with it, as well as whether you hit it or not.

Though if we were to mash players together, Federer is essentially the US' golden generation PLUS McEnroe all rolled into one.

Personally I like the idea of Sampras' serve, McEnroe's volleys, Federer's returns and footwork, Nadal's speed and beastliness, Verdasco's forehand, and Safin's backhand. Granted Federer's forehand is better than Verdasco's, but Verdasco's looks cooler and exemplifies the ideas of the modern game more so than Federer. Though you can't argue the elegance of Federer's forehand, especially when combined with his footwork.

And I would take Federer's drop shots over Djokovic's anyday! (Not saying I would rather play against the Fed drop shot, that's CRAZY!)

Though if it was for my personal game, I'd have to say Federer's footwork. It's not a shot, but it's an aspect of his game that'll help anyone jump up 2 USTA NTRPs right away. It could turn Nadal from #2 in the world to 5 time straight calender grand slam owner. After that, it has to be either the return or the volley. I'm leaning towards the volley purely because I don't have a two handed backhand, so the return of a two hander is useless to me. So I guess Fed's footwork, Sampras' serve, then McEnroe's volley. (Thought about it and Sampras' serve will give me easy volleys anyway.) Heck I might actually change my mind and choose Fed's forehand over the volley... Doesn't matter. The footwork will improve my game to my liking the most. And the serve will be the addition that adds more than anything else to my winning percentage (cause how many people below the 7.0 level can get back the Sampras serve?).

fps
12-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Bottom line, you can't argue how well Sampras' serve has served him throughout his career. Unlike the Federer forehand, it has NEVER abandoned him and it makes holding easier and scares your opponents to do more to defend their serves. Federer's forehand is also reliant on footwork and positioning, while Sampras' serve is reliant on the toss. The Sampras serve cannot be avoided or mitigated in it's effects in any way, while the Federer forehand is limited to what you can get to with the forehand while still being able to set up properly to hit a good one. Unless you throw in Fed's footwork in with his forehand, the Sampras serve is the overwhelmingly more logical choice. Even with Fed's footwork, you'd need to throw in his fitness and athletic prowess before I pick that forehand over that serve. Granted I do use a similar style on the forehand, and it's worked very well for me. You have 100% control over what you can do with your serve. For your forehand, your opponent has a say in what you can do with it, as well as whether you hit it or not.

if you REALLY want to overanalyse it then you'd have to say sampras' serve would be no good either, because you've not practised it so it wouldn't be as effective, you don't have the shoulder strength to pull it off effectively, and your body doesn't have the same arms-legs-torso ratio that sampras' does so the serve would be a mess. you also don't have his brain so you wouldn't choose to use it as effectively, and would be just as liable to choke on the serve and hit a double fault as you ever did.

in other words, this is about preference. there is no logical choice because the idea that you could transfer ONE SHOT into someone's game without transforming the rest of their game, their brain, their body etc is utterly illogical.