PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know the chances of getting into a Futures tournament with no ranking?

ilikepigs
12-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Hey,

If you have no ranking whatsoever, no ITF or National ranking, would you say there is even a slight chance of getting into the qualifier of an adult Futures tournament in the US?

Anyone know? Thanks.

Romeo
12-07-2009, 08:35 AM
You can always enter the Wild Card tournament. They are open to anyone and, if you win, you get a wild card into the Futures event.

ilikepigs
12-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Cool, I just found the wild card request page. I think I'll try. Thanks

Cody
12-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Good Luck :)

35ft6
12-07-2009, 11:13 AM
You can always enter the Wild Card tournament. They are open to anyone and, if you win, you get a wild card into the Futures event.Isn't it usually to get into the qualifier of the event?

Romeo
12-07-2009, 11:48 AM
The Wild Card Tournament is for anyone and the winner goes directly to the main draw as a wild card (wc). We have a futures event every July at our club and several adult members and juniors enter every year. It gives them a good opportunity to play some pretty strong players.

The winner of the Wild Card here is usually from a DI or DII school within an hour of two of our club. I do not remember who won just this past summer but the summer before was the #1 Division I College player for most of last year. So like I said you have a great opportunity to play strong players.

If you do not win the WC you can still play the Qualifying Tournament but I do not know how you qualify for the Qualifier. You have two different opportunites to play before the Futures ever begin.

maverick66
12-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Anyone know? Thanks.

Depends how many sign in. If they fill the draw then your not getting in without one. If there are open spots then you play. I would go get a national ranking first if you plan on playing in the florida futures as they fil up due to so many players in the area.

ttbrowne
12-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Yes It's tough. Plus in Futures, they'll sometimes screw up and not take a highly ranked player in the main draw. He'll have to qualify. So there's this butt-kicking guy in the qualies.

Kick_It
12-07-2009, 08:33 PM

There's a super _small_ chance not enough real players from afar show up and you end up with a slot. They usually assign qualie slots based upon ATP/ITF ranking.

Best of luck, in the super slight chance you get a spot in the qualie draw, you'll be in for an extremely tough match.

When I was in college/just out - people used to fly half way around the world to find draws where there weren't too many players or in search of relatively weak competition for points (main draw) I expect most of the tourneys in US to attract full draws - but give it a shot.

Good Luck! K_I

10ispro
12-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Entry goes by ranking 1st.
Priority is
ATP/WTA
ITF
ITF JR 18s
National Ranking
etc...
after that it is random lottery any anyone who entered before the deadline can get into the quali's draw.
If you get placed on the alternate list, it is possible to still get into the Main Quali's draw if others ahead of you withdraw before the Freeze deadline, people already in the draw withdraw or donot show up.
Since they changed the format last year, so you can enter online instead of in person and be notified ahead of time, if you are high on the alternate list and show up and sign in--it is possible to get in if there is a no show.

as soon as a player's match is called, he has 15min to show up to go on. after that 15min an alternate can fill the spot.

Kick_It
12-07-2009, 08:36 PM
The enter online thing is a cool new development.

Nothing like traveling for hours only to find out you've got no shot at it based upon who actually shows up ;-(

noythanongsay
12-10-2009, 08:57 PM
doesnt hurt to try. I actually got into one few years ago and im not rank at all. Everyone told me that i got lucky. I lost first round in the qualifying but it was all worth it. 0-6 1-6.

hewitt20
12-13-2009, 08:12 PM
i have gotton into 13 out of the 13 i have tried i just bring my college results and other tournys i have played in and if it fills up they have always givin me a wc bring match results because nobody knows to ask for one so they will normally give it to local juniors

nfor304
12-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Its not really that hard at all. There was a futures in Australia recently where the qualifying draw was meant to be 48, but there was only about 30 people who entered and ended up in the qualifying, so there were alot of byes first round. That sort of thing happens all the time, it just depends on the location of the tournament mainly. This one was in a small country town thats pretty hard to get to for most australian players

ttbrowne
12-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Entry goes by ranking 1st.
Priority is
ATP/WTA
ITF
ITF JR 18s
National Ranking
etc...
after that it is random lottery any anyone who entered before the deadline can get into the quali's draw.

Choose carefully. The last futures I went to, the qualies had Oleksandr Nedovyesov, Arnua Brugues-Davi, Holden Seguso, Sergey Addeyev, Stephen Bass, Victor Romero...It was brutal.

equinox
12-19-2009, 05:47 AM
lol, why? No hope mate.

I lost 6-1 7-5 to top300 national d2 college player 4/5? years ago and even he couldn't make it through to the main draw of futures in some far away tiny arab/ european country. losing 6-1 6-1 etc to top seeds in 3rd quallies rds.

Haha 10yrs or so ago a former mate and i discussed plonking down the $ to play the big draw sat quallies. He invited a current sat circuit player along to practice and what a shock we got...6-1 6-2 avg scores. Barely a contest. sad face. Just a different level.

ihearit1st
12-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Yes It's tough. Plus in Futures, they'll sometimes screw up and not take a highly ranked player in the main draw. He'll have to qualify. So there's this butt-kicking guy in the qualies.

I assure you this doesn't happen. Its all done via computers. If someone doesn't sign up by the deadline, they have to sign in to play qualies. Its not the tournament's fault. Those are rules.