PDA

View Full Version : For anyone that has hybrided Black Code....

MrCLEAN
12-07-2009, 02:08 PM
I dropped a set off at my stringer this morning, wanted it in the mains w/ some Gosen in the crosses. He cut it in equal halves, and proceeded to string up the mains, and it came up short, and consequently the other piece was too short for mains as well. I've been hybriding using Prince Tour mains for a while, and I always got two main jobs out of one pack of string. Has anyone gotten 2 sets of mains out of one pack of Black Code, or did I maybe get a short set? I was there when he cut it in 2, and I know he cut them equally. Racket in question is a LM Radical OS.

On the flip side, since I was down on string, I had one of my others strung up w/ VS Gut, I've always wanted to try a natural gut job!

Standupnfall
12-07-2009, 02:54 PM
What Racquet do you have?
How short did he come up. Could he not have bridged the string to the tension head?

And this is his fault since he didnt check your racquets requirement and measure the string, cutting string in half is not the best practice. Measuring is much better.

Standupnfall
12-07-2009, 02:57 PM
What Racquet do you have?
How short did he come up. Could he not have bridged the string to the tension head?

And this is his fault since he didnt check your racquets requirement and measure the string, cutting string in half is not the best practice. Measuring is much better.

My bad didnt read your post thoroughly:
I dont see your racquet listed as an OS but evem the MP model requires 21'

Again he should have checked before ruining your string

MrCLEAN
12-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Racket is an OS as stated in the original post. Agreed he should have looked, but just curious if anyone has gotten 2 mains done from one pack. I always got 2 mains done w/ one pack of Prince Tour, just wanted to know because if I end up liking this stuff, I'm going to end up trashing half of it every time.

He had one end tied off and only ended up w/ about a half inch on the other side, not enough to tie off. He had about an inch left over on the one first side before the knot. Maybe the guy that did my Prince tour hybrids is better at knot tying :)

alidisperanza
12-07-2009, 05:32 PM
To the above poster, You can manage the mp with 20'

The OS radicals, on the other hand, are notorious for requiring more string. I've botched a few string jobs having forgotten that little tidbit. HATE it when that happens.

MrCLEAN
12-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Ok, thats good to know, thanks!

ace0001a
12-07-2009, 06:39 PM
This dilemma has crossed my mind as I own quite a few different Radical OS racquets. The solution I figured out for this is some creative stringing technique. I got this idea when I heard that Agassi's custom 20x21 Radicals had used the same string from the crosses for the last two mains. The problem with buying strings in sets/packs is that you're never sure if you can get two stringings out of one pack. If you have an OS racquet with a dense string pattern (like Radicals), this can very much be an issue. I recently string up one of my LM Radical OSes using a set of UATennis Super Polyester 17 for the mains and Forten Competition Nylon 16 for the crosses (great combo by the way) and I simply strung the mains first without cutting or dividing it into 2 equal pieces. I ended up with about a foot and a half extra on the short side when I cut it. The long side was where the rest of the string was and I tied it off and cut it from that point. I measured what I had left and it was around 22 feet. So sometimes you get can get up to 43-44 feet of string in a set, but I guess it can vary depending on the manufacturer. So getting back to what I was talking about, to me it seems you can easily tie off the mains on both sides one short. Then you start one side of the racquet, tying the last main at the buttom and running it to the top to start the crosses. Once you weave through back to the buttom, you round the corner again and weave the last main on the other side and tying it off at the top. I've counted it and it looks like it can work. The only thing I'd be concerned about is the first corner where you round from main to top cross as the space or "meat" between those two holes is less than the usual two to three hole spacing you have when rounding the corner from the bottom of the racquet. This of course can also void your warranty, but in my experience, I've had strung lots of racquets not according to manufacturer's stringing requirement without any problems. Also with Head racquets and their specific requirement to have the crosses starting at the top of the racquet (like most racquets), I have seen people do ATW or "Around The World" patterns where the second to last main corners a small area to go to a cross that hasn't been a problem. Of course I wouldn't recommend doing this with a really worn or used racquet where you can notice fatigue on the frame, but for racquets in good to new condition, stringing it this way should be fine.

ClubHoUno
12-08-2009, 05:46 AM
Sorry, but if you use an OS racquet with a dense string pattern, you are bound to have problems with enough string to hybrid from the same package.

Advice: Though expensive, you better start buying reels!

HitItHarder
12-08-2009, 06:17 AM
I double checked two different stringing references (one from Head and the other from Klippermate) and the LM Radical OS is an 18M/19C pattern (same as my MG Rad OS).

Head's string specs say you only need 20' for the Mains and 16.5' for Crosses. However, the Klippermate reference says 21' for Mains and 17' for Crosses. Based on that, it looks like you have some real potential to run short if the string doesn't elongate during stringing to give you a little extra. So you may be able to get away with 20' using a synthetic gut or a multi that stretches a bit, but on stiffer strings like polys you may have problems.

Best thing to do is to check the length of the actual string next time before you cut it to find out how much is in the pack. If you have 42', maybe you can get two sets of mains out of it. If it is less, you may want to think about just stringing it as a full job. Of course, if you really find main string you like, buy a reel.

MrCLEAN
12-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks all

bsandy
12-08-2009, 10:59 AM
20 ft is plenty of string to string a Radical OS. 21 feet will give you more than 6 inches left over on each side.

I think he screwed up.

. . . Bud

bsandy
12-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Agassi's custom 20x21 Radicals

What are you smoking ?

Cup8489
12-08-2009, 11:15 AM
What are you smoking ?

um...agassi did have custom 20x21 radicals..

ace0001a
12-08-2009, 12:46 PM
20 ft is plenty of string to string a Radical OS. 21 feet will give you more than 6 inches left over on each side.

I think he screwed up.

. . . Bud

I think this can depend on the stringing machine and the even the package of string you get. Head Radical OS racquets do need at the very least exactly 20 feet of string, but 22 to be safe as some stringing machines need about a foot extra for pulling it especially if you're the anal type who wants to keep half the set "undisturbed". Me, I just count out a short side for the mains and leave the rest as if I was doing a one-piece job. Doing it that way ensures you have the most possible left for the second racquet. Still if you run short, it is still very possible to do it the way I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread.

What are you smoking ?

Yes I didn't believe it myself until I did some research. Agassi did indeed use a custom 20x21 dense string patterned Radical from '93-'99. You can verify this by going to getty images and looking through pictures of him during this time period as well as it being well discussed here.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=298617

precision2b
12-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Sorry, but if you use an OS racquet with a dense string pattern, you are bound to have problems with enough string to hybrid from the same package.

Advice: Though expensive, you better start buying reels!

Yes I agree...