PDA

View Full Version : Better backhand: Courier or Roddick?

soyizgood
12-07-2009, 02:28 PM
For whatever reasons, these guys aren't regarded for their backhands. Honestly, I liked Courier's backhand and I think Roddick's backhand is okay, though not spectacular.

shaysrebelII
12-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Roddick's has improved a LOT in the last few years, I remember when he was an up and comer and it seemed like he could barely hit one. Yet during the Wimby final this year, I found myself surprised, and wondering, "Where the heck did this suddenly potent backhand come from?"

admittedly I haven't seen much of Courier, but at times the levels he goes to in order to avoid hitting a backhand are rather extreme. that plus his reputation of having such an impressive inside-out forehand lead me to believe that Roddick's is better.

anointedone
12-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Courier hands down. He was able to regularly outplay Agassi from the baseline during his peak in the early 90s, something Roddick never would have done. Courier hands down has a better forehand and backhand than Roddick. Roddick by far has the better serve.

FD3S
12-07-2009, 03:21 PM
From looking at it from a career effectiveness standpoint, Courier. Courier's wasn't pretty or overly potent, but it was always rock solid throughout his career. Roddick's has improved, but considering how wishy-washy it was back in his rocket-forehand days...

surfvland
12-08-2009, 10:26 PM
It's a tie. Neither are easy on the eye. I think Safin had one of the best looking two handed backhands.

big bang
12-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Courier by far..

Vyse
12-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Not too sure Courier by far, I mean, look at what Roddick was able to do with it against Federer. Without it, he would have gotten beat down by Fed instead of it being an epic match. We will have to see how Roddick's backhand is next year to be sure

vanity
12-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Let's be honest here, the Roddick backhand is definitely the worst in the top 10. No pace, sits up nicely for the opponent.

ronalditop
12-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Even tough Roddick's backhand lacks pace and depth, it is very effective on passing shots.

MethodTennis
12-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Roddick's has improved a LOT in the last few years, I remember when he was an up and comer and it seemed like he could barely hit one. Yet during the Wimby final this year, I found myself surprised, and wondering, "Where the heck did this suddenly potent backhand come from?"

admittedly I haven't seen much of Courier, but at times the levels he goes to in order to avoid hitting a backhand are rather extreme. that plus his reputation of having such an impressive inside-out forehand lead me to believe that Roddick's is better.

dito 10char

stanfordtennis alum
12-09-2009, 10:37 AM
roddick's has gotten much better in the past yr or 2 but i will give the slight edge to courier

soyizgood
12-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Roddick seems to have a really stiff straight-arm takeback. It almost appears hit strikes the ball with a double eastern forehand grip. He rarely takes the ball early, but compensates for it with his overall power. I really think he could do more with it loosening up a little and stepping in earlier. It works for him, but I just get the feeling his backhand has held him back in big moments. It's not bad, but it just looks a bit awkward.

Courier's backhand was more of an old school 2HBH in that it was actually strong-arm dominant. Eastern OHBH/Eastern grip combo. Connors, Borg, Wilander, even Agassi's backhand falls under that category. Doesn't win much for style points, but it held up pretty well. Like Roddick, it kind of held him back at times (he wasn't nearly as aggressive off this wing as he was off the forehand), but imo it wasn't as much of a liability as it's been for Roddick.