PDA

View Full Version : Point of the year-Monfils vs Cillic

Gugafan
12-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Just found this point whilst browsing youtube... Check out the acrobatics at 0.21, Monfils hitting a forehand in mid air LOL. I know some people dislike Monfils for his antics and lack of aggressive play at times, but there is no better unorthodox shotmaker in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfxPsXw1PhA

fps
12-07-2009, 03:50 PM
great stuff. unfortunately for gael that jump into the 1st backhand wasn't the right play and he would lose the point from there 99/100 times. he still doesn't have a gamestyle :(

bolo
12-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Just found this point whilst browsing youtube... Check out the acrobatics at 0.21, Monfils hitting a forehand in mid air LOL. I know some people dislike Monfils for his antics and lack of aggressive play at times, but there is no better unorthodox shotmaker in the game.

wow. The 1st one looked like it could be a mid-air 2 handed backhand slice lob attempt over a 6ft 5 guy. Great point, nice find.

Chadwixx
12-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Just a weak overhead. I can bounce them over the fence, pro's can clear two fences. Monfils is very gifted but he isnt jumping over 15 feet.

I was more impressed with monfils return than anything. Cilic really kicks it

kOaMaster
12-07-2009, 04:28 PM
nice. but whats wrong with this ****ing beeping in the background? thats killing my brain.

and what's the jumping all about...I mean, seriously, it looks cool, but I don't think it helped hitting the first shot at all...!?

plus, cilic is a jerk as he hits the second smash like that.

flyinghippos101
12-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Man Monfils moving like that, he'll be a wheelchair earlier than Rafa. The guy slides on hard courts, he'll only be able to do that on a daily basis for so long. Enjoy it while you still can.

kOaMaster
12-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Man Monfils moving like that, he'll be a wheelchair earlier than Rafa. The guy slides on hard courts, he'll only be able to do that on a daily basis for so long. Enjoy it while you still can.

djokovic does it too, a lot. and I always think of my knees and ankles when I see it.

Gugafan
12-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Just a weak overhead. I can bounce them over the fence, pro's can clear two fences. Monfils is very gifted but he isnt jumping over 15 feet.

I was more impressed with monfils return than anything. Cilic really kicks it

The timing required to hit that forehand whilst in mid air was amazing...Most pros would not have even attempted such a shot. I guess thats Monfils for you...As the commentator says 'he's everywhere' Lol.

Chadwixx
12-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Should of never been a second shot.

Cilic has the best overhead ive seen since john isner :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7MQQ34Z1TU

"As the commentator says 'he's everywhere' Lol"

A bit of an exaggeration, the last three shots were on the ad side. Pretty much hit them right to him. I think that was a drop volley on his last shot. Hard to tell because it landed so deep :)

OddJack
12-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Monfils is a showman. He would do most everything to please the crowd and this in turn pumps him up even more. This is why you would never see negative emotions, frustration, racket smashing or cursing from him.

Good to have him around. He is a good change in the middle of many boring and unexciting players. Something different.
Sadly, this type of showmanship will shorten his career at the level he is in right now.

Vyse
12-07-2009, 05:19 PM
awesome point. not sure how cilic didn't put that away bt monfils was awesome. i was watching that match live. it was sweet!

Knightmace
12-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Monfils is awesome, he's superman

MajinX
12-07-2009, 07:50 PM

eh santoro has that title. Monfils was fast on that point and thats about it, the fancy shots he did didnt win him anything lol, the hop backhand was such a bad mishit lol.. and cilic didnt even smash that one hard probably coz he was like "wtf?" the jumping forehand looks nice but not worth shot of the year, monfils speed impressed me tho. i dislike how monfils is so cocky looking tho lol.

Toxicmilk
12-07-2009, 08:19 PM
i feel for anyone who loses a point after having a chance (or two) to smash the ball...

awesome shots by monfils though.

pame
12-08-2009, 03:36 AM
Agreed it's a strong contender for shot of the year