PDA

View Full Version : any derms? or docs can help!


teppeiahn1
12-07-2009, 04:37 PM
I just turned 17 and for odd reason there is a bald spot thats like 1cm on my head. its very hidden but when i was styling my hair, my mom knoticed it.

I am healthy and eat very healthy. but this past 2 month has been the most stressfull time of my life.

The odd thing is that where i have this small bald spot, its a little bump. I do not remember hitting it. It is not itchy and feels regular.

What do you guys thinkthis is? I've always had too much hair and i still do on other parts of my head but just that one part is missing.

GeorgeLucas
12-07-2009, 06:51 PM
HERE IS THE TIMELINE of THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. IT IS QUITE GRISLY:

-20 YEARS old: YOUR BALD SPOT has EXPANDED BY 40%. IT REVEALS A SIGNIFICANT PORTION of YOUR HEAD. YOU ADOPT A TRUMP-ESQUE COMBER to AVOID BECOMING A SOCIAL OUTCAST. BALDNESS CONTINUES TO MARCH ACROSS your HEAD IN ITS CONQUEST OF HAIR FOLLICLES.

-25 YEARS old: YOUR HAIR IS 90% gone. AS OF NOW you STRONGLY RESEMBLE HOMER SIMPSON. WOMEN GENERALLY FIND you UNATTRACTIVE. you WEEP AT NIGHT.

-27 YEARS old: YOUR HAIR HAS FALLEN out COMPLETELY. YOU EKE OUT THE rest OF YOUR HAIRLESS LIFE IN MISERY.

YOU are WELCOME.

jswinf
12-07-2009, 07:03 PM
If you feel an elevation at the "bald spot" I think you should see a dermatologist, or at least see your family physician to see if he thinks you need a referral.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the previous reply, sounds like that guy has issues.

GeorgeLucas
12-07-2009, 07:05 PM
I'M SORRY for BEING REALISTIC. =(

BobFL
12-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Please take this with a grain of salt. Something similar happened to my friend many years ago. It was internally inducted (very high stress level). He cured it by changing his life style. I remember that it became bigger before he stopped it and finally he was able to regain hair in that area. In his case it was "areata", thanks God for that...

I wish you all the best and good luck!!!

http://www.medicinenet.com/alopecia_areata/article.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alopecia_areata

Diagnosis

Alopecia areata
First symptoms are small, soft, bald patches which can take just about any shape but are most usually round.[8] It most often affects the scalp and beard but may occur on any hair-bearing part of the body.[4] There may be different skin areas with hair loss and regrowth in the same body at the same time. It may also go into remission for a time, or permanently.

Treatment

About 50% of patients' hair will regrow in one year without any treatment.[2] If the affected region is small, it is reasonable to observe the progression of the illness as the problem often spontaneously regresses and the hair grows back. In 90% of cases, the hair will, ultimately, grow back. In the other 10%, only some or no hair will regrow.

teppeiahn1
12-07-2009, 07:55 PM
HERE IS THE TIMELINE of THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. IT IS QUITE GRISLY:

-20 YEARS old: YOUR BALD SPOT has EXPANDED BY 40%. IT REVEALS A SIGNIFICANT PORTION of YOUR HEAD. YOU ADOPT A TRUMP-ESQUE COMBER to AVOID BECOMING A SOCIAL OUTCAST. BALDNESS CONTINUES TO MARCH ACROSS your HEAD IN ITS CONQUEST OF HAIR FOLLICLES.

-25 YEARS old: YOUR HAIR IS 90% gone. AS OF NOW you STRONGLY RESEMBLE HOMER SIMPSON. WOMEN GENERALLY FIND you UNATTRACTIVE. you WEEP AT NIGHT.

-27 YEARS old: YOUR HAIR HAS FALLEN out COMPLETELY. YOU EKE OUT THE rest OF YOUR HAIRLESS LIFE IN MISERY.

YOU are WELCOME.

I take care of my body very well.

Fedace
12-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Yes exactly,,, next stop. Dermatology office. not that hard to find.

teppeiahn1
12-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Please take this with a grain of salt. Something similar happened to my friend many years ago. It was internally inducted (very high stress level). He cured it by changing his life style. I remember that it became bigger before he stopped it and finally he was able to regain hair in that area. In his case it was "areata", thanks God for that...

I wish you all the best and good luck!!!

http://www.medicinenet.com/alopecia_areata/article.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alopecia_areata

Diagnosis

Alopecia areata
First symptoms are small, soft, bald patches which can take just about any shape but are most usually round.[8] It most often affects the scalp and beard but may occur on any hair-bearing part of the body.[4] There may be different skin areas with hair loss and regrowth in the same body at the same time. It may also go into remission for a time, or permanently.

Treatment

About 50% of patients' hair will regrow in one year without any treatment.[2] If the affected region is small, it is reasonable to observe the progression of the illness as the problem often spontaneously regresses and the hair grows back. In 90% of cases, the hair will, ultimately, grow back. In the other 10%, only some or no hair will regrow.

thx but i do not believe its this.

like i stated, there is a bump on my head and at that spot, hair is not coming out. size smaller than a dime.

larry10s
12-08-2009, 04:43 AM
bump on head . no hair. not normal . see a doctor (preferably a dermatologist)

larry10s
12-08-2009, 04:46 AM
if you need some scare motivation. cancer in the skin can destroy the hair follicles in its way. not saying what you do or dont have (no one can make a diagnosis without an exam) but again its not normal. see a doctor

mlktennis
12-10-2009, 10:31 AM
could be fungus (tinea capitis). Very treatable.

Agree, if it is not flat and smooth then prob not areata

teppeiahn1
12-10-2009, 11:28 AM
could be fungus (tinea capitis). Very treatable.

Agree, if it is not flat and smooth then prob not areata

Its also itchy or little bit of pain at tha area. goign to derm in 2 days.

I believe its either ringworm or some kind of fungus like you stated.

larry10s
12-11-2009, 04:56 AM
let us know what the derm says and what he gave you

dlk
12-11-2009, 08:35 AM
If you feel an elevation at the "bald spot" I think you should see a dermatologist, or at least see your family physician to see if he thinks you need a referral.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the previous reply, sounds like that guy has issues.

This is the correct answer.

teppeiahn1
12-11-2009, 11:57 AM
let us know what the derm says and what he gave you

I went to it and said its some sort of thing like ingrown hair. fogot the medical name for it but the hair grew wrong and created a bump. He saids people get it on their backs fist size often. He gave me a shot to stop the swelling but if it doesnt work, i might need a simple surgery.

Since I acted to this very quickly, he saids my hair will most likely grow back.:)

No guarantees though

dlk
12-11-2009, 02:27 PM
I went to it and said its some sort of thing like ingrown hair. fogot the medical name for it but the hair grew wrong and created a bump. He saids people get it on their backs fist size often. He gave me a shot to stop the swelling but if it doesnt work, i might need a simple surgery.

Since I acted to this very quickly, he saids my hair will most likely grow back.:)

No guarantees though

Good for you; jswinf was correct. I'm sure it will resolve, any antibiotics?

larry10s
12-15-2009, 06:57 AM
I went to it and said its some sort of thing like ingrown hair. fogot the medical name for it but the hair grew wrong and created a bump. He saids people get it on their backs fist size often. He gave me a shot to stop the swelling but if it doesnt work, i might need a simple surgery.

Since I acted to this very quickly, he saids my hair will most likely grow back.:)

No guarantees though

glad to hear it was not serious and your hair will grow back. early intervention is usually a good plan of action