PDA

View Full Version : Buying a stringin machine in Canada

dextor
12-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Since TW's machines can't be shipping to Canada, does anyone know where I might be able to get one?

I'm not looking for anything fancy as I will be just starting out and only stringing my own racquets, probably less than twice a month. However, quality is important as I want to keep my racquest for a long time.
New or used, my budget is less than $500.

Thanks.

HitItHarder
12-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Silent Partner is a Canadian company plus they have some quality stringers. For US orders they ship out of Buffalo, but I am betting they have a Canadian warehouse too.

number.432
12-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Since TW's machines can't be shipping to Canada, does anyone know where I might be able to get one?

I'm not looking for anything fancy as I will be just starting out and only stringing my own racquets, probably less than twice a month. However, quality is important as I want to keep my racquest for a long time.

Thanks.

If you are interested in a lightly used Klippermate email me thru my profile.

davidm
12-08-2009, 05:57 AM

Thanks.

I'll second the vote for silent partner. Their warehouse is in Toronto so your order will ship canada post, no import duties and no pst unless you live in Ontario.

I own 2 sp machines including the hip hop which is right in your price range. It's a great machine for the money. Excellent quality.

topanlego
12-08-2009, 06:45 AM
SP is your best bet if you want to save some money. You can get the Alpha Pioneer DC Plus for around $500 shipped. Same specs as the Hip-hop but with a linear gripper.

I got a Alpha String Pal 2-pt which works really well. No problems so far.

1st Seed
12-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Dext go for the Hip Hop, SP built a great solid machine that is very affordable.Very pleased with mine.45 min per stick average.
Only beef is no local pick ups so you'll be stuck paying 50 bones for shipping.
I'm 15 min away from them and they still said no way.

Texas Scrambler
12-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Depends where you live in Canada. I just purchased a used Eagnas Hawk 800 and shipped it to a border receiving company. The receiving company charges me all of 3 dollars to receive the package.

davidm
12-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Depends where you live in Canada. I just purchased a used Eagnas Hawk 800 and shipped it to a border receiving company. The receiving company charges me all of 3 dollars to receive the package.

Hey Texas scrambler, what's the border receiving company you use?

Do you pay import duties on top of the three dollars or that's all?

Thanks.

topanlego
12-10-2009, 10:56 AM
I've done that for TW orders to get the free 2 day shipping. In Vancouver, there are a few companies on the other side of the border near the crossings. They charge around 3 dollars to receive any packages shipped from the US. Similar to a US Mail Box.

Once they receive the package, some will let you know and then all you have to do is go pick it up yourself. However, this means you need a passport.

Once you pick up the package, you just declare at the border how much goods you have and they may or may not send you over to the customs agent to pay for your duties/taxes.

Of course, you can take advantage of your duty free allowance if you spend a couple days in the US. After 48hrs you get C$400, after 7 days you get C$750.

davidm
12-10-2009, 02:24 PM
^^^^^^
Thanks for the info!

dincuss
12-10-2009, 02:33 PM
try

tennis

zon

.com

(oneword)

topanlego
12-11-2009, 06:51 AM
^^^^^^
Thanks for the info!

A bit more info. I used Pacific Mail and Parcel for my order. They are about 2 minutes south of the truck crossing. I just planned my order around a trip to Portland I was going on and picked up the package on my way down.

davidm
12-11-2009, 08:53 AM
A bit more info. I used Pacific Mail and Parcel for my order. They are about 2 minutes south of the truck crossing. I just planned my order around a trip to Portland I was going on and picked up the package on my way down.

Thanks again, that's the same site that I found googling for border receiving companies, and they looked pretty good from the info on their site. Good to know that's the same one you used and I take it everything must have worked out OK. I might try them out sometime the next time I have a need.

davidm
12-11-2009, 09:07 AM
try

tennis

zon

.com

(oneword)

errr.... you must be kidding right? that site is charging 1000 bucks canadian for a gamma X-6, which is not even an equivalent class machine as the SP Hip Hop for CAD$429 - the x6 has floating clamps versus fixed clamps on the Hip Hop. The OP would be much better off either going with Silent Partner or using a border receiving company if he's close enough to a border crossing and buying direct from a US retailer.

topanlego
12-11-2009, 09:39 AM
errr.... you must be kidding right? that site is charging 1000 bucks canadian for a gamma X-6, which is not even an equivalent class machine as the SP Hip Hop for CAD$429 - the x6 has floating clamps versus fixed clamps on the Hip Hop. The OP would be much better off either going with Silent Partner or using a border receiving company if he's close enough to a border crossing and buying direct from a US retailer.

That's about right for the pricing of Gamma machines in Canada. I was quoted something similar from the shop on the island.

davidm
12-11-2009, 11:09 AM
^^^^^^
Right. Just makes it not worth while to buy through the canadian sources for something like a gamma when you could get an SP instead, or as you have pointed out, use a border receiving company and buy from TW USA instead.

the OP did say his budget is under $500 so that rules out getting a new gamma from a canadian source.

txt858
12-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Love my SWING.

http://www.sptennis.com/images/Swing.jpg

txt858
12-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Or you can get The Silent Partner Hip Hop for $379.

Texas Scrambler
12-15-2009, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=davidm;4186517]Hey Texas scrambler, what's the border receiving company you use?

Do you pay import duties on top of the three dollars or that's all?

I use Montana Shipping outlet which is near a ski area in BC. You can find them on the web. Also, the import duties go against your daily exemptions for cross border travel.

Octavianus
12-16-2009, 04:38 PM

Thanks.

Try the Tennis Ball Machine Superstore, in San Francisco. That is where I got my ball machine. They also sell a number of stringing machines. I highly recommend them, their service is fast (for Canada) and they are courteous and accomodating.

Hope this helps
O