PDA

View Full Version : What's Next?! Late 2009/Early 2010 Schedules

Outbeyond
12-07-2009, 06:13 PM
I came across this blog on the TennisX website and thought I'd pass it on here, as it's pretty interesting and fun for discussion (and for a bit of dreaming):

Off Season, What Off Season? Early 2010 Player Schedules

by Sean Randall

I see some of you are already inquiring about the 2010 player schedules, which got me curious regarding whoís playing where and when ahead of the Australian Open. So I did some digging.

For Rafael Nadal, who is busy polishing another Davis Cup trophy after helping Spain successfully defend its title this weekend, the off season will be over in just a blink. Nadal, along with Roger Federer and Nikolay Davydenko, are expected to partake in the money-grab Abu Dhabi three-round knockout event which begins on December 31, i.e. 24 days from now. Nothing quite welcomes the New Year better than some extra dough!

The official start to the 2010 ATP season begins on January 3 with three events in Brisbane, Doha and Chennai plus Hopman Cup (non ATP). The following week is Sydney, Auckland and a non-circuit exo at Kooyang.

So looking ahead to 2010, here are some early schedules for the top players (subject to change of course!):

Dec 31
Abu Dhabi: Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Nikolay Davydenko, Robin Soderling, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

January 3
Brisbane: Andy Roddick, Gael Monfils, Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters
Doha: Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Nikolay Davydenko, JW Tsonga
Chennai: Marin Cilic, Robin Soderling
Hopman Cup: Andy Murray, Lleyton Hewitt

January 11
Sydney: Gael Monfils, Lleyton Hewitt, Serena Williams
Auckland: David Nalbandian
Kooyong Exo: Novak Djokovic, Juan Martin Del Potro, Robin Soderling, Fernando Verdasco, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

By Player:
Federer: Abu Dhabi, Doha
Nadal: Abu Dhabi, Doha
Djokovic: Kooyong
Murray: Hopman Cup
DelPo: Kooyong
Roddick: Brisbane

A few things that strike me. First, looks like Nadal is right back on the court. After just finishing 2009, he gets about three weeks of downtime (thatís it!!) before heading to Abu Dhabi. I know he missed a chunk of season and he didnít have a terribly grueling close to the year, butÖso much for rest.

Federer is following Nadalís schedule, but the Swiss has enjoyed an extra week off with no Davis Cup commitments. Federer could still end up in Kooyang.

Roddick may come into 2010 as the most rested (remember his last match was mid-October) and most ready. Roddick though is only signed on for Brisbane as of now (possible Kooyong WC?), meaning the American will have just one event in three months ahead of Melbourne.

And interestingly Djokovic, DelPo and Murray are just playing exoís for moment. Novak and DelPo in Kooyang, Murray will be at the Hopman Cup. Perhaps the trio are conserving for a late-year push for No. 1?

Of note, if Murray does not defend his Doha title, I think heíll slide to No. 5 behind DelPo in the rankings. That becomes important for the Australian Open seedings which would then be: 1. Federer, 2. Nadal, 3. Novak, 4. DelPo and 5. Murray. And as a No. 5 seed you would run into a Top 4 seed in the QFs at the Australian Open.

Meanwhile, Tsonga and Soderling are maxing out by playing three events prior to the Australian Open.

And Iíd be remiss if I didnít say Iím intrigued by a possible Henin-Clijsters clash in Brisbane. What a start the season that would be for the WTA.

The women's scene is heating up, too! It's gonna be a good year...

Blinkism
12-07-2009, 06:21 PM
For Rafael Nadal, who is busy polishing another Davis Cup trophy after helping Spain successfully defend its title this weekend, the off season will be over in just a blink. Nadal, along with Roger Federer and Nikolay Davydenko, are expected to partake in the money-grab Abu Dhabi three-round knockout event which begins on December 31, i.e. 24 days from now. Nothing quite welcomes the New Year better than some extra dough!

A few things that strike me. First, looks like Nadal is right back on the court. After just finishing 2009, he gets about three weeks of downtime (that’s it!!) before heading to Abu Dhabi. I know he missed a chunk of season and he didn’t have a terribly grueling close to the year, but…so much for rest.

Thanks for posting this info, Outbeyond! Very useful :)

Regarding Nadal's early 2010 schedule,

I think that it's actually good for Nadal to get right back out on the court ASAP because he seemed to be in good form at the Davis Cup and he needs to go out and confront the Top Players, again. If he doesn't play and beat a Top 8 player before the AO, it'll be that much tougher for him, IMO.

I don't see any immediate need for a prolonged break. IMO, If he's going to take a break, I'd advise (well, if I was his coach, that is) for him to skip everything between AO and Indian Wells on his schedule.

That said, I don't think he'll go full-out for Abu Dhabi.. I think he'll save his good stuff for Doha. He's never won a pre-AO title before so it could do wonders for his confidence in defending the Aussie Open title.

clayman2000
12-07-2009, 06:34 PM
I think its a good idea for Roddick to play a small tourney like Brisbane. With no one there to really hurt him he should be able to get a title under his belt early, and get some confidence for the AO

Outbeyond
12-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks for posting this info, Outbeyond! Very useful :)

Regarding Nadal's early 2010 schedule,

I think that it's actually good for Nadal to get right back out on the court ASAP because he seemed to be in good form at the Davis Cup and he needs to go out and confront the Top Players, again. If he doesn't play and beat a Top 8 player before the AO, it'll be that much tougher for him, IMO.

I don't see any immediate need for a prolonged break. IMO, If he's going to take a break, I'd advise (well, if I was his coach, that is) for him to skip everything between AO and Indian Wells on his schedule.

That said, I don't think he'll go full-out for Abu Dhabi.. I think he'll save his good stuff for Doha. He's never won a pre-AO title before so it could do wonders for his confidence in defending the Aussie Open title.

I agree with you about Nadal's need to just jump on the season and get going! He's said the same thing himself...that he's been basically sitting around too much in 2009 and that it's done him no good. Unlike Federer, Nadal is apparently someone who believes in playing a lot in order to play better, but - as you note - he needs to play topnotch colleagues ASAP in order to really get an idea of how he might pull off wins in the bigger tournaments and slams.

I can't wait to see Roddick get back into the game, too...I've missed him! He's apparently healed and has only recently begun practicing again, so it looks like he's going to re-enter the fray slowly here. Not a bad idea. He's gettin' too old now (!!) to assume anything about the springiness of his health!

And as for the author of this column's final note: won't it be fascinating to see what shakes out in the women's events next year?

Blinkism
12-07-2009, 06:47 PM
I think its a good idea for Roddick to play a small tourney like Brisbane. With no one there to really hurt him he should be able to get a title under his belt early, and get some confidence for the AO

It's a good first step into competitive play after being out due to injury.

Roddick did well in Doha this season so he should do well in Brisbane.

OddJack
12-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Interesting info.

Federer following Nadal: I just don't see Nadal suddenly changing in matter of few weeks. Maybe Rodge gets his hands on him for some H2H correction.

Roddick most rested: I just think he is going to get more rest by going out rather early, earlier than what he did last year.

I picked Delpo to take AO, so I think sooner or later he will take Murray's spot, even if he defends his Doha title.

clayman2000
12-07-2009, 07:08 PM
It's a good first step into competitive play after being out due to injury.

Roddick did well in Doha this season so he should do well in Brisbane.

Id like to see him play some more smaller events this season. Problem for him was that while he made many semis and finals, he didnt get a lot of title wins. For me winning small events really helps someone gain confidence. I mean look at what it did for Davydenko in the summer, Del Potro last summer, Djokovic this fall in Asia and Europe.

Then if he starts winning 3 - 4 small events, it carries over into the Masters and Slams, and all of a sudden you have the momentum to beat a Nadal or a Federer

Grigor#1fan
12-07-2009, 07:45 PM
I came across this blog on the TennisX website and thought I'd pass it on here, as it's pretty interesting and fun for discussion (and for a bit of dreaming):

Off Season, What Off Season? Early 2010 Player Schedules

by Sean Randall

[I]I see some of you are already inquiring about the 2010 player schedules, which got me curious regarding whoís playing where and when ahead of the Australian Open. So I did some digging.

The official start to the 2010 ATP season begins on January 3 with three events in Brisbane, Doha and Chennai plus Hopman Cup (non ATP). The following week is Sydney, Auckland and a non-circuit exo at Kooyang.

So looking ahead to 2010, here are some early schedules for the top players (subject to change of course!):

Dec 31
Abu Dhabi: Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Nikolay Davydenko, Robin Soderling, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

January 3
Brisbane: Andy Roddick, Gael Monfils, Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters
Doha: Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Nikolay Davydenko, JW Tsonga
Chennai: Marin Cilic, Robin Soderling
Hopman Cup: Andy Murray, Lleyton Hewitt

January 11
Sydney: Gael Monfils, Lleyton Hewitt, Serena Williams
Auckland: David Nalbandian
Kooyong Exo: Novak Djokovic, Juan Martin Del Potro, Robin Soderling, Fernando Verdasco, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

By Player:
Federer: Abu Dhabi, Doha
Nadal: Abu Dhabi, Doha
Djokovic: Kooyong
Murray: Hopman Cup
DelPo: Kooyong
Roddick: Brisbane

Great post!....thanks!

Dimitrov_Fan
12-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Great post!....thanks!
good to see another grigor fan!

theres not so much time in offseason so we will be lucky to see top class tennis in just a few weeks time in new years

best of luck to davydenko i hope his form as in london is possible in australia, we have to see how he plays in abu dhabi and doha to make judge on his form

Outbeyond
12-08-2009, 03:19 AM
Id like to see him play some more smaller events this season. Problem for him was that while he made many semis and finals, he didnt get a lot of title wins. For me winning small events really helps someone gain confidence. I mean look at what it did for Davydenko in the summer, Del Potro last summer, Djokovic this fall in Asia and Europe.

Then if he starts winning 3 - 4 small events, it carries over into the Masters and Slams, and all of a sudden you have the momentum to beat a Nadal or a Federer

I think the other thing about Roddick that seems evident with his event selections is that he wants to fold back into things slowly. While Nadal's late season play was not great (understatement), his first few such tournaments (Shanghai and Paris) were where he played an outright disappointingly-pure defense, and later he told the Spanish press he was not yet confident in his body - not quite sure yet it could do what he wanted it to do without falling apart.

As we've discussed in other threads on this subject, those with recent and rather-longstanding injuries like Roddick will undoubtedly want to "ease" back into a schedule before facing the other players who - fit and ready to smash the opposition - are waiting just around the bend.

dlk
12-08-2009, 04:21 AM
Yes, nice thread/info. It will be fun to associate prep/tune-up w/results. Yeah, & Nadal seems to be ready, by hi early commitments.