PDA

View Full Version : It's Time For Some Self-Indulgent Navel-Gazing 2009 Musing

Cindysphinx
12-07-2009, 07:05 PM
So. How was 2009 for you?

Me, I lost a lot of matches, but I'm OK with it. The reason is that . . .

:: drum roll::

. . . I got the groundstroke monkey off my back! FH and BH. I can hit either one!!

Oh, what a relief this is! You have no idea how horrible it is not to be able to hit a groundstroke. To make gawdawful errors at the worst possible times off of routine shots. To have no clue whether you will or will not get the next serve in play. Those days are *over.* I can hit a groundie as hard as I want and it will still stay in. I can follow a groundie to the net; or I can stay back, it's totally up to me. And get this -- they stay in the court! :)

It's like getting out of prison. I used to avoid the deuce court because I couldn't take my FH crosscourt. Now, I can receive on either side. Oh, how I would love to take these shiny new groundstrokes for a test drive in singles.

My other strokes are essentially unchanged, although I am more comfortable with approach volleys than before. I am looking to a fun 2010 as a 3.5 doubles player who can hit a groundstroke.

Xenakis
12-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Excellent thread title, nothing else to contribute currently.

fruitytennis1
12-07-2009, 07:44 PM
I thought you were moving up to 4.0??

Brned
12-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Started playing tennis again early this year to help me on my quest to quit smoking!

Traded a bad habit for a good one :)

Cindysphinx
12-08-2009, 04:40 AM
I thought you were moving up to 4.0??

Oh, you buzz kill you! :)

Kostas
12-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Missed to going State in the Spring by 1 court. Went to State in 6.0 mixed with a9-1 record...went to state in 6.5 combo with a 10-0 record.

Won our USTA 3.5 singles league with a 5-1 record.

Got bumped to 3.5.

Developed a nice kick serve that I used for both my first and 2nd serve. It causes fits for 3.0 players and doesn't allow 3.5s to crush what used to be my lollipop 2nd serve.

Got started on my 1hbh slice shot and have made decent progress but still have a ways to go.

Goals for next year:

Develop a stronger first serve.
Improve my 1hbh.

stoo
12-08-2009, 11:57 AM
2009 was absolutely awesome for me for tennis.

I re-discovered the game of tennis this past spring. I hadn't played the game in any form of seriousness in 25 years and after joining a club this year I have become completely addicted to the game.

When I'm not out on the court I'm either watching it on tv, reading about it on this wonderful website, or walking around the house with an Aerogel 200 in my hand swatting at anything that resembles a tennis ball. (needless to say, the wife, my daughters and the dog are none too pleased.)

This summer, I climbed to a 4.5, played twice a week with practice and kicked my addiction to golf.

Now I'm playing indoors every week all winter and chomping at the bit for the new season to get here. Improvement is on the horizon, thrown in with Intercounty play and a few tournaments and it's all a big plate of cad n'chips baby!

(Sorry, got a bit excited there and a wee bit carried away.)

precision2b
12-08-2009, 12:19 PM

I re-discovered the game of tennis this past spring. I hadn't played the game in any form of seriousness in 25 years and after joining a club this year I have become completely addicted to the game.

When I'm not out on the court I'm either watching it on tv, reading about it on this wonderful website, or walking around the house with an Aerogel 200 in my hand swatting at anything that resembles a tennis ball. (needless to say, the wife, my daughters and the dog are none too pleased.)

This summer, I climbed to a 4.5, played twice a week with practice and kicked my addiction to golf.

Now I'm playing indoors every week all winter and chomping at the bit for the new season to get here. Improvement is on the horizon, thrown in with Intercounty play and a few tournaments and it's all a big plate of cad n'chips baby!

I know what you mean. My wife called me a tennis wh**e!!!

stoo
12-08-2009, 12:37 PM
I know what you mean. My wife called me a tennis wh**e!!!

:) I just knew I wasn't the only one!!!

SlapShot
12-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Some good, some bad. Mostly good, though.

The good: went on a tear at 4.0 dubs. Learned how to really play doubles. Have played a few 4.5 matches now, with 2 pretty solid wins. I'm starting to really feel like my forehand has become a true weapon and complement to my serve, and I can dictate play with it. I finally feel like I've hit a true growth point, where I will be able to develop my game and push it in the direction that I want it to go (I'm 27, and am shooting to be competitive in age group events by the time I'm 35).

The bad: had an injury in July that kept me off of the court for 4 weeks, and in MN, we don't get much outdoor tennis time as it stands. My volleys are still my weakest stroke, despite plenty of work on them this year. That's about it for negatives, apart from spending too much money on tennis, but that's not a bad thing for me.

fruitytennis1
12-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Slap dont you have the baseline center there. I envy anyone who consistantly gets to play there. I live in Rochester by the way.

Cindysphinx
12-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Had another awesome development.

You know how people have super-weak serves, but when you try to kill the serve you miss?

Yesterday, I was killing those serves for once in my sorry life. Oh, man. What a rush!

LeeD
12-08-2009, 04:36 PM
To kill those super weak sitter serves...
Don't hit hard, instead turn your shoulders, move your feet, stroke fully thru with early prep aiming for depth, preferably to the backhand side mostly....
They'll return one, then miss the next few....

Cindysphinx
12-08-2009, 04:40 PM
To kill those super weak sitter serves...
Don't hit hard, instead turn your shoulders, move your feet, stroke fully thru with early prep aiming for depth, preferably to the backhand side mostly....
They'll return one, then miss the next few....

Nope.

Shock and awe, baby. Shock and awe. :)

MomentumGT
12-08-2009, 04:53 PM
My 2009 was pretty good. Played a futures qualifier (1st tourney since college tennis almost 8 years ago) and realized I still have the game to hang, just the extra 45lbs I put on over the years is really a huge anchor. The guy I lost to was a #2 player in his University D1 and we went 3 sets. YAY! LOL.

Won my club 5.0, 4.5, and 4.0 dubs tournament and carried a weak 3.5er in 4.0's. Also killed it in 4.0 USTA League with 1 close loss to current Jr. College players who's team ranked 6 in Cali. And to top it all off I still retain my 4.0 rating. :oops: :twisted:

-Jon

SlapShot
12-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Slap dont you have the baseline center there. I envy anyone who consistantly gets to play there. I live in Rochester by the way.

Yeah - the team I captain plays out of Baseline. It's an OK place to play - they redid the lighting and the courts, which helped visibility there.

Still too hard to get court time, though.

crystal_clear
12-08-2009, 08:14 PM
So. How was 2009 for you?

Me, I lost a lot of matches, but I'm OK with it. The reason is that . . .

:: drum roll::

. . . I got the groundstroke monkey off my back! FH and BH. I can hit either one!!

Oh, what a relief this is! You have no idea how horrible it is not to be able to hit a groundstroke. To make gawdawful errors at the worst possible times off of routine shots. To have no clue whether you will or will not get the next serve in play. Those days are *over.* I can hit a groundie as hard as I want and it will still stay in. I can follow a groundie to the net; or I can stay back, it's totally up to me. And get this -- they stay in the court! :)
It's like getting out of prison. I used to avoid the deuce court because I couldn't take my FH crosscourt. Now, I can receive on either side. Oh, how I would love to take these shiny new groundstrokes for a test drive in singles.

My other strokes are essentially unchanged, although I am more comfortable with approach volleys than before. I am looking to a fun 2010 as a 3.5 doubles player who can hit a groundstroke.

Bravo~

I admire you Cindy. :)

Cindysphinx
12-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Bravo~

I admire you Cindy. :)

Ha! Thanks!!

Just got finished with a 7.5 combo playoff match. Opposing 4.0 woman had the most fierce FH I had ever seen. She smacked it crosscourt with such spin and pace that I found myself wrapped in the side curtain like a pork sausage. I hung in there and gave her a taste of my shiny new FH, and we won. So our little combo team is going to the semi-finals after pulling off a monster upset tonight.

I love having a FH! :)

Xisbum
12-09-2009, 04:13 AM
Ha! Thanks!!

Just got finished with a 7.5 combo playoff match. Opposing 4.0 woman had the most fierce FH I had ever seen. She smacked it crosscourt with such spin and pace that I found myself wrapped in the side curtain like a pork sausage. I hung in there and gave her a taste of my shiny new FH, and we won. So our little combo team is going to the semi-finals after pulling off a monster upset tonight.

I love having a FH! :)

Niiice!!! Proud of you. Keep it up and win this sucker. :)

chollyred
12-09-2009, 04:22 AM

I also joined the "just got back into the game" club after not playing for nearly 30 years! Started off teaching my grandkids to play and immediately became re-addicted to the game (and boy is it cheaper than golf!). Still searching for hitting partners near my own age and trying to get ready to join the local PATA (USTA) league.

Went to a "meet & greet" at the local tennis center (where a buddy just became head pro) and met a bunch of really good players. We played round-robin doubles for over two hours and then spent another hour in a cardio tennis class. I was really surprised how quickly my game came back around. I now have a standing invitation to join a couple of groups that play during the week.

Goals for 2010:
Lose a bunch of weight to improve my court coverage.
Work on my first serve and overheads.
Join PATA.
Play in at least two tournaments and have a respectable showing.

Kick_It
12-09-2009, 08:48 PM
I will be glad when 2009 is over, for many reasons.

Life just got in the way of tennis often in 09. It was frustrating to plow 5 and/or 6 weeks into tournament training only to find out that other aspects of life precluded me from playing at the last minute, multiple times. After 3 different start - train - hard-stop cycles, I resigned myself to "it's not gonna happen".

When I could play, I made good progress on fitness, footwork, and strengthening a key technical weakness. I added a couple new strong practice partners to replace a great one that moved away.

One decent tournament match all year - though lost a 3 hr long match 5-7 in the 3rd set to the runner-up. At least for matches that "count" that was it (ugh). Practice matches - got a couple wins against a guy I'd never beaten which was at least a moral victory.

That said, things are pretty good if a game was the worst part of my 09; at least compared to my 4 friends who don't have jobs...

I get a new age division in 2011, something to look forward to - dare I say prepare for!

Bring on 2010 already! K_I