PDA

View Full Version : College Tennis Traveling

krnmc
12-07-2009, 10:54 PM
I was wondering since some colleges are so far apart i was wondering how much time and dedication would be needed to play? For example, Cal poly Pomona DII school.?

Would there be any saturday traveling? over night? im just curious haha any information will be very helpfullll Thank you :)

goran_ace
12-08-2009, 06:09 AM
College tennis takes a lot of time and dedication. Don't make any plans on the weekends during the season. You will be playing and/or travelling every weekend during the season. You may leave on a Thursday and not come back until Sunday. Even if you get a free weekend your coach may have alcohol and curfew rules in effect during the season. Practice and conditioning take up time year round.

slice bh compliment
12-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Yeah, there is still lots of time for fun, but I do not remember any 2-day benders, if that's why you're asking, LOL!

goran ace is right on. But, in addition, I do remember some travel during the week....some really long days....faxing papers in (pre-email times)...asking for make-up dates on tests occasionally. Most professors were cool about it. Some would even come to watch home matches.

Very rewarding, though -- being a student athlete. Tight schedule, but, it was really great. I improved a lot and graduated. Then grad school seemed easy, hahahah.

OTOH, one of my (non-scholarship) teammates quit the team junior year so he could relax a little and devote more time to upper level courses in his major (pre-med). He's happy he did that (he's a surgeon now, and plays 5x a week). Nothing wrong with that, either.

Best wishes.

goran_ace
12-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Oh yes, matches during the week. Home matches are not a big deal, but I definitely preferred away matches that required an overnight stay to the dreaded 2-hours-in-a-van there and 2-hours-in-a-van back kind of a trip.

Marshredder
12-08-2009, 09:10 AM
I play College Tennis in the UK and our schedule is more demanding than just weekends a lot of the time. College v College matches are often done during the week, a lot of the time on wednesdays and thursdays, and then we have BUCS dedications on top of that, as well as being entered into qualifying for some larger events (Mens $15k etc, should be noted virtually noone ever makes it into those! :D)

A lot of seniors drop out due to the dedications needed, too much work etc...

Heres a rough schedule of what we're doing.

http://www.bucs.org.uk/page.asp?section=6614&sectionTitle=Season%27s+Information

Dave Mc
12-08-2009, 09:46 AM
In addition to what everyone else already mentioned, don't make any personal plans for spring break. My son plays D-II and each year they travel out of state during spring break to play a large intercollegiate tournament.

tennismom42
12-08-2009, 10:18 AM
I was wondering since some colleges are so far apart i was wondering how much time and dedication would be needed to play? For example, Cal poly Pomona DII school.?

Would there be any saturday traveling? over night? im just curious haha any information will be very helpfullll Thank you :)For my son's March schedule, 11 days show for tournaments. 4 are long distance, so tag on a day for travel. So for March, 15 days are spent competing. Inevitably practices will be held. That vs. academics... you do the math.

Most college players take a heavier academic load in the Fall than the Spring. (many do just the required 12 hours in the Spring.)

I was really mad when I heard the coach tell the kids that if they are short on credit hours, they can make it up in their fifth year. Wow! like I really want to send him back to school for another semester, of which there will be zero athletic scholarship.

slice bh compliment
12-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Yeah, that 5th year statement has got to be annoying (especially for a parent).

I stayed and took 6 hrs over the summer once (half a summer, really) to complete a dbl major. It was a blast. I went to a night class, did a group project with some executive business school students, hit a lot during the day, worked out almost every day, taught a little bit of tennis, went out on weekends and played a few tournaments, too. Great summer. Wayy better than a 5th year! I think.

Best wishes at Cal Poly - Pomona.

tennismom42
12-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Yeah, that 5th year statement has got to be annoying (especially for a parent).

I stayed and took 6 hrs over the summer once (half a summer, really) to complete a dbl major. It was a blast. I went to a night class, did a group project with some executive business school students, hit a lot during the day, worked out almost every day, taught a little bit of tennis, went out on weekends and played a few tournaments, too. Great summer. Wayy better than a 5th year! I think.

Best wishes at Cal Poly - Pomona.Summer internship will likely be my son's only option because I am not paying for a 5th year.

eeytennis
12-08-2009, 12:34 PM
There is a lot of traveling for tennis in any division. Even at NJCAA schools there is traveling involved. There is match just about every weekend during regular season and the away matches usually involve leaving Friday and coming back Sunday evening. If you are good enough to travel to away tournaments sometimes that might require that you leave Wednesday and come back Sunday. It takes a lot of time. However, as a college player myself I never worried about academics during the season. Because I WAS so busy I knew I had to prioritize to get my work done. It's a great experience being on a tennis team so don't let the traveling and time commitment scare you away.

krnmc
12-09-2009, 02:20 PM
oh okayy thanks everyone!! a lot of info! :)

slice bh compliment
12-09-2009, 04:09 PM
oh okayy thanks everyone!! a lot of info! :)

De nada / De rien / No worries / You're welcome / Don't mention it / Least we could do / Our pleasure!

Oh, and just so you know, there'll be more information when you actually get to college.

aliciasace
12-31-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm planniing on either going to college or playing tennis, but it sounds pretty good.

cmb
01-02-2010, 04:09 PM
the school pays for the 5th year in some cases