12-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Can anyone help I have some questions regarding drawing d orbitals

edberg505
12-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Can anyone help I have some questions regarding drawing d orbitals

What's your question?

TepidFish
12-08-2009, 12:44 AM
For [Co(en)2(OH)2]NO3 Draw the d-orbital splitting pattern for both the high spin and low spin complex ions. How many unpaired electrons are found in each?

edberg505
12-08-2009, 03:55 AM
For [Co(en)2(OH)2]NO3 Draw the d-orbital splitting pattern for both the high spin and low spin complex ions. How many unpaired electrons are found in each?

Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm reading your formula correctly or not. So that's cobalt with 2 ethylenediamines, 2 hydroxides?, and a nitrate? If that's right then that makes it cobalt 3. But then that means it should be octahedral which means you have too many ligands. Let me know if this formula is right.

TepidFish
12-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Too many ligands? en binds in 2 twice like this, except with Co in the center and 2OH's attaching instead of Cl's, binding at 6 sites giving it a coordination number of 6 = octahedral.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/de/Dichlorobis%28ethylenediamine%29nickel.png

This is what I ended up turning in

1. [Ar]3d6, Diethyleneammine bishydroxl cobalt II nitrate, octahedral shape, 3+ charge on cobalt, hi-spin is paramagnetic with four unpaired electrons, low spin is diamagnetic with zero unpaired electrons

Thanks for checking out my post and trying to help, I was spinning in my chair for a good hour before figuring out

edberg505
12-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Too many ligands? en binds in 2 twice like this, except with Co in the center and 2OH's attaching instead of Cl's, binding at 6 sites giving it a coordination number of 6 = octahedral.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/de/Dichlorobis%28ethylenediamine%29nickel.png

This is what I ended up turning in

1. [Ar]3d6, Diethyleneammine bishydroxl cobalt II nitrate, octahedral shape, 3+ charge on cobalt, hi-spin is paramagnetic with four unpaired electrons, low spin is diamagnetic with zero unpaired electrons

Thanks for checking out my post and trying to help, I was spinning in my chair for a good hour before figuring out

So, I must have looked at the formula wrong. The nitrate must be the counter ion making it cobalt 3+. So it is indeed octahedral meaning the xy, xz, yz are all degenerate. So yes your counting of unpaired spins for high spin and low spin is correct. I just wanted to make sure that the cobalt was in an octahedral geometry. By the way, what class is this for? Inorganic chem? This is almost like a grad level type question.

GRANITECHIEF
12-09-2009, 11:01 AM
What happened edberg, get board at the tables? We're you able to set up any tennis? I know RobC went to Atlanta.

edberg505
12-09-2009, 06:00 PM
What happened edberg, get board at the tables? We're you able to set up any tennis? I know RobC went to Atlanta.

Hahaha, good one granitechief. I actually just came back from hitting with Rob. He's a pretty strong player. It's damn cold out here though so we didn't hit too much. About to head back to the tables soon though.

TepidFish
12-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Gen chem II, and its flippin' freezing :( tennis is very hard to play

edberg505
12-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Gen chem II, and its flippin' freezing :( tennis is very hard to play

Wow, chem II? That's crazy. I didn't learn this stuff until I took inorganic. But I must say it is completely and utterly useless.

TepidFish
12-12-2009, 11:38 PM
lol, have you finished ochem? I was wondering how it compared to gchem

edberg505
12-13-2009, 06:14 AM
lol, have you finished ochem? I was wondering how it compared to gchem

Yeah, I have my PhD in chemistry. Ochem is kind of a pain. People try to say that it isn't completely memorization, but it totally is. The 1st part of Ochem isn't that bad. The 2nd part is a headache. PChem is probably the worst out of all of them though.

Court_Jester
12-13-2009, 06:31 AM
Ochem is kind of a pain. People try to say that it isn't completely memorization, but it totally is.
I totally agree.

PChem is probably the worst out of all of them though.
LOL! This is the part of chemistry that I can relate to. Of course, I'm a physicist so I tend to gravitate towards those topics like wave equations, wave functions, spherical harmonics, etc. :)

edberg505
12-13-2009, 06:45 AM
I totally agree.

LOL! This is the part of chemistry that I can relate to. Of course, I'm a physicist so I tend to gravitate towards those topics like wave equations, wave functions, spherical harmonics, etc. :)

Yeah, it was a bit tough for me at first. I remember the very first day of Pchem the prof walks in and starts talking about Schrodinger's cat and a particle in a box and I'm like wtf? I am in a chemistry class right? LOL. But I was okay with that stuff after a while. The thing that really kicked my ***** was statistical mechanics. Man I hate that crap. But at least with PChem you can rationalize your way to an answer. With OChem, if you don't know what reagent is responsible for bringing about a desired product, well then you are screwed!

Court_Jester
12-13-2009, 07:20 AM
Yeah, it was a bit tough for me at first. I remember the very first day of Pchem the prof walks in and starts talking about Schrodinger's cat and a particle in a box and I'm like wtf? I am in a chemistry class right? LOL. But I was okay with that stuff after a while.
For what's it's worth, even the simplest case (particle in a box) in solving Schroedinger's equation didn't make sense to me at all when I first took the class.

The thing that really kicked my ***** was statistical mechanics. Man I hate that crap. But at least with PChem you can rationalize your way to an answer. With OChem, if you don't know what reagent is responsible for bringing about a desired product, well then you are screwed!
Man, I hated statistical mechanics too, above all else! I got a slightly better appreciation of the statmech now but I never warmed up to it when I was a student.

Strangely enough, physics majors were only required to take one general chem class when I was an undergrad. :confused: Personally, I would have preferred to have required more chemistry than that. I just started reading up on some very basic ochem and it's fascinating but I'm not a fan of memorizing things. :???:

TepidFish
12-13-2009, 09:33 AM
holy a PhD in chem... haha yeah i've heard horror stories about pchem with thermo