PDA

View Full Version : My Serve

West Shore Smashers
12-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Just thought I'd post a vid of me hitting a first and second serve. Feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.

http://vid970.photobucket.com/albums/ae186/Overhead-Smashed/th_Dec620091stand2ndServe.jpg (http://s970.photobucket.com/albums/ae186/Overhead-Smashed/?action=view&current=Dec620091stand2ndServe.flv)

12-08-2009, 01:55 AM
thats really a pretty nice serve

Jaewonnie
12-08-2009, 03:15 AM
very very nice. only thing that worries me is your first serve's kick height. it is great but when facing a good returner, because the ball is coming to his comfortable contact zone, your serve will basically turn on u. So, adding a bit of kick in ur first serve would be a nice idea. other than that, your serve looks fine to me.

Nellie
12-08-2009, 06:38 AM
?All I get is a picture with you preparing to serve?

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Yeah just a picture can you provide a link to a video?

mikro112
12-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Just click the picture.. :rolleyes:

charliefedererer
12-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Great looking serve.
Agressively bowed body positioning at the trophy pose transitions to a powerful leg kick, and full racquet drop before a nice cartwheeling motion with rapid arm speed acceleration.
In fact the arm speed is so fast, it is hard to tell if you are optimally pronating, although it seems that you are.
Nice serve.

LeeD
12-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Yeah, your serve motion has unlimited potential, easily up to 6's.
Like that you actually take your time and concentrate a second before tossing the ball. Too many youngsters just walk up and go thru the motions.
Would like to see move vid of groundies and volleys. You certainly have the service motion down.

West Shore Smashers
12-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the great feedback everyone. My serve has really improved over the last year or so, it still has a ways to go (better placement) but at the moment It's not bad. I'll take a vid of me playing soon and post.

Anyone fancy a guess how fast my serves were going? I have no idea myself but it would be interesting to hear some opinions.

LeeD
12-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Tough to venture a MPH speed thread answer, but if it's indoor courts, abrasive high bouncers, your first flat serve better bounce at the backdrop about waist high or higher to get to 100.
Second serve doesn't need to get there, but an AGGRESSIVE second serve, used as a first, should be topspun easily waist high against the backdrop for maybe 85 mph.
You're young, and losing some speed potential by choking up on the racket, but just how tall and heavy are you?

CallOfBooty
12-08-2009, 04:05 PM
double sorry

CallOfBooty
12-08-2009, 04:07 PM
That's a nice serve that you have. For the first serve I would say it is around 105 mph. And actually for your second serve I would say it is only about 70 mph, but it does have a nice trajectory. It seems like it can still give your opponent trouble and the arc makes it a pretty consistent shot. I think 105 and 70 mph are pretty good guesses at least. Give or take 5 or 10 mph, it's not like I am a radar gun or anything :)

Rambler124
12-08-2009, 04:15 PM
That's a nice serve that you have. For the first serve I would say it is around 105 mph. And actually for your second serve I would say it is only about 70 mph, but it does have a nice trajectory. It seems like it can still give your opponent trouble and the arc makes it a pretty consistent shot. I think 105 and 70 mph are pretty good guesses at least. Give or take 5 or 10 mph, it's not like I am a radar gun or anything :)

I'd guess almost exactly the same on the first serve - 2nd one I'm unsure honestly. You are hitting the backdrop on one bounce so I'd guess somewhere between 95-105 or so - just a guess.

Love the motion - very nice honestly. One thing I notice the more I watch is it does seem that your grip tension is a bit much possibly - its pretty hard to tell from a couple of videos but I would be curious to see how you perceive how tightly you hold the racquet when serving.

CallOfBooty
12-08-2009, 04:24 PM
I'd guess almost exactly the same on the first serve - 2nd one I'm unsure honestly. You are hitting the backdrop on one bounce so I'd guess somewhere between 95-105 or so - just a guess.

Love the motion - very nice honestly. One thing I notice the more I watch is it does seem that your grip tension is a bit much possibly - its pretty hard to tell from a couple of videos but I would be curious to see how you perceive how tightly you hold the racquet when serving.

The second serve is 95-105?! That's a top 10 second serve! It does hit the backdrop but there is also a lot of topspin on that serve. That makes it slower, but bounce higher. A 100 mph flat serve and a 70 mph kick serve can both hit the backdrop. You should watch it again, if you observe the first and second serve carefully, you will see that the second serve takes a noticeably longer time to hit the backdrop compared to the flat serve.

I agree with you on the grip tension though. Let the bottom of your racket drop into your palm and tuck it in so that you can't see it. That can probably get you 5-10 mph right there by keeping you more relaxed.

fruitytennis1
12-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Agreed the grip looked quite tight while serving otherwise im very envious atm

West Shore Smashers
12-08-2009, 11:47 PM
You're young, and losing some speed potential by choking up on the racket, but just how tall and heavy are you?

I'm 19, 5' 11" and 145lbs

West Shore Smashers
12-08-2009, 11:49 PM
I would be curious to see how you perceive how tightly you hold the racquet when serving.

Yes I hold my racquet too tightly. Actually I usually hold it tighter than in the vid, but I was trying to be more relaxed

West Shore Smashers
12-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Let the bottom of your racket drop into your palm and tuck it in so that you can't see it.

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean exactly.

lancernrg
12-09-2009, 01:16 AM
Just thought I'd post a vid of me hitting a first and second serve. Feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.

http://vid970.photobucket.com/albums/ae186/Overhead-Smashed/th_Dec620091stand2ndServe.jpg (http://s970.photobucket.com/albums/ae186/Overhead-Smashed/?action=view&current=Dec620091stand2ndServe.flv)

Nice, these look like 130+ mph serves. The only thing I would work on is your posture, it seems you are slouching down like an old man prior to ball toss...it just looks "unpleasant" to us tennis fans.

Djokovicfan4life
12-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Tough to venture a MPH speed thread answer, but if it's indoor courts, abrasive high bouncers, your first flat serve better bounce at the backdrop about waist high or higher to get to 100.
Second serve doesn't need to get there, but an AGGRESSIVE second serve, used as a first, should be topspun easily waist high against the backdrop for maybe 85 mph.

There you go again trying to judge speed based on how high the ball hits the fence. It's not that simple.

LeeD
12-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Well geez, OP asked for an estimate, and why don't you include CallofB ?
At least I said it was "tough to venture..." and I qualified a few criteria leaving out court temps, air temps, what kind and state of balls, actual court surface, and I DID ask OP his height.....
Can't be perfect in this world, so I'll live FLAWED.....:shock:

mental midget
12-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Nice, these look like 130+ mph serves.

it begins . . . . . .

CallOfBooty
12-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean exactly.

It's hard to explain without showing you, but I will try one more time. If you look at your serving grip now, the bottom of your racket goes below your hand. You want to put the bottom of your racket higher up so it is kind of tucked inside your palm. Basically place your racket higher up so that it is tucked inside your hand.

Here is a picture for reference:
http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/ppgal/RFEDERER/RFMSC07-017.jpg

lancernrg
12-09-2009, 01:32 PM
it begins . . . . . .

Huh? Jealous much? His serves are clocking around 130 mph or maybe better. This is a accurate assessment.

West Shore Smashers
12-09-2009, 03:19 PM
It's hard to explain without showing you, but I will try one more time. If you look at your serving grip now, the bottom of your racket goes below your hand. You want to put the bottom of your racket higher up so it is kind of tucked inside your palm. Basically place your racket higher up so that it is tucked inside your hand.

Ahh, I see now, thank you.

West Shore Smashers
12-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Huh? Jealous much? His serves are clocking around 130 mph or maybe better. This is a accurate assessment.

Hahaha, thanks for the encouragement but I know it's not anywhere near that fast.

Rambler124
12-10-2009, 06:02 PM
The second serve is 95-105?! That's a top 10 second serve! It does hit the backdrop but there is also a lot of topspin on that serve. That makes it slower, but bounce higher. A 100 mph flat serve and a 70 mph kick serve can both hit the backdrop. You should watch it again, if you observe the first and second serve carefully, you will see that the second serve takes a noticeably longer time to hit the backdrop compared to the flat serve.

I agree with you on the grip tension though. Let the bottom of your racket drop into your palm and tuck it in so that you can't see it. That can probably get you 5-10 mph right there by keeping you more relaxed.

Sorry was tired when I wrote this. I meant the first serve ( I agree with you on first serve then I went on into some tangent ) I think 1st serve is between 95-105 not the second serve ( I was just stating that I didn't really have a clue at how fast the 2nd was ).