PDA

View Full Version : Teams Are Forming. Did The Ratings Bump Matter?

Cindysphinx
12-08-2009, 04:57 AM
Boy, howdy. The ratings bump has made a huge change in how teams are coming together.

I'm seeing 2.5 women who were bumped to 3.0 now signing up for 7.0 mixed.

The 4.0 women are running away from 7.5 combo in favor of 8.5 combo.

The 3.5 day league looks like it will be one solid level lower than it was last year, with large numbers of 3.0s playing up and new 3.5s.

And there are far fewer teams all around. Where did everybody go?

raiden031
12-08-2009, 06:30 AM
I'm sure there will be alot of playing up for the stronger players who want to avoid the new weak players at the bottom of the level. I definitely foresee alot of 4.0M playing up to 4.5 for example.

I retired myself from 7.0 mixed because of the rating adjustment...No way am I going to find a quality 3.0W partner this year.

I don't see the rosters of teams changing that much, but the ones that were good last year will now be weak teams at the next level up.

drakulie
12-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Down here in the 4.0 league, the season, which started quite some time ago was cancelled. All matches/records will be deleted, and the season will start again in January.

Reason being is, many of the teams had way too many players bumped up to 4.5 and even 5.0. One team had their entire starting line up bumped up, which included a few players being bumped to 5.0. Other teams had 6-8 players bumped up. Other teams as it turns out, actually had 4.5 and 5.0 rated players playing matches for them. LOL

way crazy. :shock:

Topaz
12-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Down here in the 4.0 league, the season, which started quite some time ago was cancelled. All matches/records will be deleted, and the season will start again in January.

Reason being is, many of the teams had way too many players bumped up to 4.5 and even 5.0. One team had their entire starting line up bumped up, which included a few players being bumped to 5.0. Other teams had 6-8 players bumped up. Other teams as it turns out, actually had 4.5 and 5.0 rated players playing matches for them. LOL

Geez, Florida is full of sandbaggers!!!!

:)

raiden031
12-08-2009, 10:53 AM

Wait does your area's 2010 adult league start prior to ratings coming out? Is that the purpose of Early Start ratings (we don't have them in my section)? So under normal circumstances, does that mean you could actually play in a league at level A even after you have been bumped up to level B by year-end ratings?

tfm1973
12-08-2009, 10:56 AM
drak -- maybe just me but i wonder if our friend sup2dresq got bumped up from 3.5? i also wonder if our friend jolly is now playing on the ATP Tour?

Topaz
12-08-2009, 11:26 AM
drak -- maybe just me but i wonder if our friend sup2dresq got bumped up from 3.5? i also wonder if our friend jolly is now playing on the ATP Tour?

To be bumped from a rating, you must first have a rating.

amarone
12-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Wait does your area's 2010 adult league start prior to ratings coming out? Is that the purpose of Early Start ratings (we don't have them in my section)? Yes and yes; that is exactly what ESRs are for.

So under normal circumstances, does that mean you could actually play in a league at level A even after you have been bumped up to level B by year-end ratings? Yep. Atlanta had already finished a full 2010 local season before the year-end ratings came out (it finished in August). The next season started in November, also before the year-end ratings were published. Both were run using Early Start Ratings (published March and August).

I am surprised to hear that FL is canceling the seasson and starting again. In Atlanta we are ploughing on regardless. The bumped players were legit when the season started and so can continue to play through the rest of the season.

jhp49
12-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Our Adult Fall season, which played under early start ratings, had 65 teams. So far our winter league, which starts 01/04/10 and is under the new ratings, has 51 teams. I think we will end up with fewer teams and players.

JHBKLYN
12-08-2009, 04:50 PM
I looked at the rosters from this year's mixed dubs season and I would say 3/4's of the good players got bumped up. That means for the upcoming dubs season in January, we'll be playing pretty much the same players we were playing before but .5 level up. I think the only difference it made was teams had to change their level of play from 7.0 to 8.0, and 8.0 to 9.0.

drakulie
12-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Just to clarify what I stated yesterday.

Being that so many players were bumped and/or illegally playing 4.0, and would not be allowed to continue on the team past this month, they held an all captains meetings with some of the officials, and it was decided to scratch the season, and start over in January.

One team lost all 8 of their starters and 1-2 reserves. A few other teams lost over 6 players. etc.

In other words, these teams would not have enough time to recruit enough players to continue the season. In addition, with all the players that were bumped and/or should not have been playing due to recent ratings of 4.5, 5.0 and above, the teams felt the season should be cancelled.