PDA

View Full Version : How to improve my serve (Video included)

paris0120
12-08-2009, 07:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLmUOb0uvgo

My ball can only hit the bottom of the fench on the other side. Where should I improve?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thx in advance.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-08-2009, 07:29 AM
If your goal is more pace, make it a more fluid motion with a pronounced whip at ball contact. You should here a very loud pop at contact.

DavaiMarat
12-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Well if you're hitting slice that's not a bad thing.

If you asking how to gain more power in your serve, there are a few things you can improve on. You'll probably want to work on these one at a time. Don't worry about if the ball goes in or not but just try to get a the feeling.

1) Look at your left foot. It's pointing almost to at the center tape. You're going to point it more toward the right net post. This is keeping your body too straight/parallel to the net. You're losing a lot of torque.

2) When you knee bending. Your left knee is going into the court 1st. This is probably because of your problem above. All good servers lean their left hip into the court while they are executing their serve.

3) Hold the trophy pose before you open up. Your left arm is dropping and torso turning way too early. This is a big no no if you want to hit a strong serve. Your hitting your serve kinda like a volley ball serve. You want to 'KEEP EVERYTHING SIDE WAYS' until your racquet is accelerating up from the backscratcher. Only then does the full kinetic chain play a factor in accelerating the racquet head and adding weight to the ball.

Work on these things 1st and don't get discouraged at failure at 1st. That's the number 1 thing impeding most players. Consign yourself at sucking to get better. You need to take 1 step backwards to get 2 steps forward.

Cheers and Good Luck,

Mike

charliefedererer
12-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Nice video!

You've got the basis for a really, really good serve.

The next step is a bigger windup.

To learn why and how, watch these two videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlPVdppfYGs
http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/serve/advanced-serve-technique/leading-with-your-hip-when-serving/

Watching you, you don't lower your back shoulder relative to your front shoulder nearly enough, and are not not forming the "bow" shape you can achieve by pushing your front hip forward. (This pushing the front hip forward is done to counterweight the upper body tilting sidewards by lowering the back shoulder.), and sinking lower with a deeper knee bend.

If you can incorporate this much bigger windup, you'll be using the added muscles from your legs and trunk for a much bigger serve.

(Later on you can incoporate the other suggestions in the advanced serving technique on fuzzy yellow balls, but as you already have the foundation for a potentially much bigger serve, this is the one I would incorporate first.)

Hope this helps.

LeeD
12-08-2009, 09:04 AM
ChFed said it all...
You have nice mechanics on your motion, but not nearly enough for a fast mover. Lengthen everything and RELAX your whole body, especially your shoulders, torso, and hips. Move in really hard towards the net. Some more lift into the shot would be nice, but movement into the court almost makes up for that.
Seems you're tight and musclebounded.

paris0120
12-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Thank you for your tips guys. They are really helpful. I will try them today and shot a new video

BTW, which part(s) you muscle most during serving? Leg, trunk, shoulder, upper arm or forearm?

Thx

DavaiMarat
12-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Thank you for your tips guys. They are really helpful. I will try them today and shot a new video

BTW, which part(s) you muscle most during serving? Leg, trunk, shoulder, upper arm or forearm?

Thx

You should really get the feeling of leaning on the serve. I say at least of 50% of my power comes from my trunk and legs. The arm should be quit loose including the wrist.

Jaewonnie
12-08-2009, 11:05 AM
idk if its just me but it sorta looks like ur "muscling" the ball.

u wont get too much racket head speed from muscling, need more of a whip action (hint: pronation)

Rambler124
12-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Biggest thing I see is an improper trophy position. Palm is facing upward. You have a waitor's position there. Its not the worst I've seen but I think improving this would make a more relaxed position allowing more potential pronation into the serve. Or I'm totally wrong and you have the wrong grip which is essentially doing the same though.

It would explain why you look like you are muscling the ball though. When your palm faces upward your muscles are a bit more tense typically in my experience. Relaxed muscles = power.

charliefedererer
12-08-2009, 05:02 PM

Thx

All of these muscles are important and your goal is to incorporate them all into your serve. Again, it seems you have the shoulder/upper arm closest to ideal, and need to get the legs/trunk moving more. That swings the shoulder and upper arm in a much bigger arc, and hence unleashes the power that you already have. (I think you have the potenial for more pronation with your forearm as well, but you may want to save really concentrating on this as your next step. Changing too many things will really upset your timing, and away from the leg/trunk gains that should be your current focus.)