PDA

View Full Version : Got the draw of a tournament...

Failed
12-08-2009, 09:05 AM
... and like anyone I immidiately checked who I was up against. (Which I shouldn't do). I immidiately thought that "geez, this is gonna be hard", which is completely the wrong mindset. What should I have to do in order to gain that arrogant "nobody beats me" attitude and enter my matches with full confidence in my abbilities to win the match? I didn't have this problem in the summer when I was playing tournaments every other weekend, but my last tournament was pretty much a fisko. This is why I want to do better this time and play confidently.

Thanks in advance

MrCLEAN
12-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Don't play their record, play them as they are that day. You never know, they may want to get home early to watch the game, may have Christmas shopping to do and if they lose a set, they may pack it in.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Dont think of your username for starters.

BU-Tennis
12-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Never have the no one can beat me attitude, it makes you complacent and unable to change your strategies. Always look at your draw and think about every possibility, but don't dwell on them. The whole idea of creating a strong mental capacity in any situation whether it be tennis related or not is to fully think out every outcome and focus on how to get the most positive outcome for yourself. I would give anything to play the guy who thinks he can't be beat because as soon as something goes wrong they fall apart and usually start going for too much.

And there is nothing wrong with thinking that "geez, this is going to be hard." When fed and nadal play they know its going to be tough, if anything it just prepares you for the arduous journey you face to coming out on top.

Failed
12-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Sorry, I meant the attitude "I can beat everybody" In a sense that there is always some way for me to win.

Camilio Pascual
12-08-2009, 11:21 AM
... and like anyone I immidiately checked who I was up against. (Which I shouldn't do).
????
Why not?
I like to know who I am playing so I can prepare my strategy.

Failed
12-08-2009, 12:31 PM
????
Why not?
I like to know who I am playing so I can prepare my strategy.

I am talking about a situation where I don't know my opponent and Immidiately check his stats and how he has played versus other people :D

Blake0
12-08-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't know..some people..like one of my friends, he checked it up the day the matches were posted, and he was playing the #1 seed. He was scared like you were, but he used it to his advantage. He played more carefully and came prepared to handle anything the opponent would throw at him. When he got on court, he appeared to be confident and ended up winning 6-4 7-5.

LeeD
12-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Previous tournament record does mean something, but not everything.
That's why they still make you go thru the motions and play a tennis match on a tennis court against a real person.
If records matter so much, then just send in the results via Email. What's the point in playing?
Better to go in with the mindset of playing your A game, to the best of your abilities, ready to grind, get, run, and dive, ready to play as long as it takes to finish the opponent.
If opponent chooses to finish you first, give them a handshake!

CallOfBooty
12-08-2009, 05:17 PM
This is the reality: you cannot control who you play or how good your opponent is. You really cannot do anything about who you draw, sorry. What you can do is play your best tennis by visualizing you and the ball only. Don't think about your opponent's shot-making, instead think about where the ball is going, and where you should hit it to construct a good point. It may seem tedious, but if you think with this mindset every point I guarantee you will be able to split sets at the least in the first two with him. Good luck!

Carlito
12-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I always check the draw immediatly also. But I'm a regular. I usually get 8-10 tournaments a year so I know most of the players and most know me. For me it helps because I know what I have to prepare for. But when I get someone I have never heard of, all I can do is play my game and hope I don't run into a sandbagger. I usaully don't get intimidated because I'm usually one of the top seeds. But when I have to play someone ranked higher than me Im kind of happy about it because that is the only way to move up in the rankings.

For me, I can usually tell by looking at people's records if I am going to have an easy or hard time winning. But like I said, I know most of the people in the division. Its just a handful of players that win tournaments in my division.

maverick66
12-08-2009, 10:44 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/2ryk468.jpg

Read this book and go out and dominate.

LuckyR
12-09-2009, 10:29 AM
... and like anyone I immidiately checked who I was up against. (Which I shouldn't do). I immidiately thought that "geez, this is gonna be hard", which is completely the wrong mindset. What should I have to do in order to gain that arrogant "nobody beats me" attitude and enter my matches with full confidence in my abbilities to win the match? I didn't have this problem in the summer when I was playing tournaments every other weekend, but my last tournament was pretty much a fisko. This is why I want to do better this time and play confidently.

Thanks in advance

I disagree. Information can only be a good thing. The problem comes when you let the information use you instead of the other way around. If you know the guy has a winning record, then you can gear up for a "scorched earth" type match where you decide to make him beat you, because you aren't going to lose any points.