PDA

View Full Version : Tt Cycling Thread

mental midget
12-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Just wanted to see how many road bikers/triathletes we've got lurking around here. Feel free to share your setup, whatever. let's get the bike p0rn going.

cervelo soloist here, black anodized paintjob, black bar tape & saddle, full SRAM force gruppo. couldn't be happier with the bike, cervelo is a fantastic frame.

i do tris, so mostly short-ish rides a few times a week, maybe 15-25 miles or so. i'll do 40 or 50 on a weekend once in a while in the summer months.

looking to upgrade to some dish rims this year, ZIPPs are an obvious choice, not cheap, but generally well-reviewed. any suggestions on that front would be appreciated. anybody use american classic 420's? they sound like a nice compromise b/t price and performance.

BobFL
12-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Memories ooohhhh memories :) I used to be very serious about cycling. I have around 100.000km in my legs. I used to have real deal bike- Colnago based od Campagnolo Record and X-steel and of course fully customized in Italy. They do not make that kind of stuff anymore...

Bob :)

escii_35
12-08-2009, 06:15 PM
One of the last made in Italy Steel Bianchi's. Sachs/Campy blend with a nitto stem. (not my daily ride)

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/pics/docs/00/00/33/69/large/bianchi.JPG?v=PT

coyfish
12-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Im a triathlete. Picked it up this year and have done 4 olympic distances and 1 sprint. Just do them for fun. Best time for an olympic was 1:57. I ride a 2005 cervelo dual with san marco tri seat, aerovision bars, and upgraded gears / disc.

xpaulinabearx
12-08-2009, 08:33 PM
how about track bikes?
i have a bianchi pista concept, and a felt tk2

mental midget
12-09-2009, 05:32 AM
Im a triathlete. Picked it up this year and have done 4 olympic distances and 1 sprint. Just do them for fun. Best time for an olympic was 1:57. I ride a 2005 cervelo dual with san marco tri seat, aerovision bars, and upgraded gears / disc.

that's a great time for just getting started.

same here, did 2 olympics, 2:05 was best time. got out in front a bit on the swim both times, probably because i swim a ton all year, bike was fine, but always wind up giving some back on the run, need to train a little more seriously there.

also didn't bother to switch the seatpost up to aero position or throw on the bars, just rode it road bike style.

how you liking the cervelo? they're sweet bikes imo.

coyfish
12-09-2009, 01:33 PM
that's a great time for just getting started.

same here, did 2 olympics, 2:05 was best time. got out in front a bit on the swim both times, probably because i swim a ton all year, bike was fine, but always wind up giving some back on the run, need to train a little more seriously there.

also didn't bother to switch the seatpost up to aero position or throw on the bars, just rode it road bike style.

how you liking the cervelo? they're sweet bikes imo.

I like it but I haven't tried too many other bikes. My uncle has a nice cervelo p4 that ive tried. It was lighter and had better wheels (disc) so I noticed a little difference. Another uncle rides a standardized transition which is also pretty nice. Mine is the cheapest of the bunch (and I got it used) but it doesn't feel at all inferior so im happy with it.

Swimming is my weakest leg. I never swim (maybe twice a month) because its just so boring. I cycle all the time and im a great runner so thats where I make my time.

All I do are tri's so I only ride aero position. After you get used to it its pretty hard to go back. Ive been on some 35-40 mile rides and it still works :).

FastFreddy
12-09-2009, 03:41 PM
My last bike was a Litespeed Ghisallo (14 pounds) with Campy Super Record and Zipp Z-3 wheels (1230 grams). If I ever got a new bike again I would get a Cervelo S-3 or R-3 with Dura-ace and Lightweight Obermayer wheels only 960 grams and aero. I really like the Dura Ace gearing with a 28-11 out back. That bike would cost 17k and weigh only 12 pounds sweet.

coyfish
12-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Nothing like passing pro's on $5000+ bikes on my used 700 dollar cervelo :). You can really find some steals on 3bay. Lots of people purchase bikes but don't have the motivation to use them.

slice bh compliment
12-09-2009, 04:37 PM
I swim and I bike. I do not run. I walk/hike sometimes. I play a lot of tennis. But running is not the best for my knees. Biking certainly is.

When I ride, I wear normal tennis clothing and seamless underwear. Not a spandex supahero outfit. I get away without wearing the padded bottomed shorts by riding an old black leather Brooks B-17 saddle. So good.

I have a steel cyclocross bike with drop bars, a steel urban singlespeed and a beater commute bike (steel). Steel is real. Aluminum is average. Carbon is complex (I have carbon forks on both non-beaters). I ride off-road a little with the cyclocross bike. I donated my old, entry-level mountain bike when I realized I had not been mountain biking since I was 28. I did a cyclocross series several years ago and I loved it. Now I just do it on my own. Laid-back.

I commute to work a lot. I definitely commute to tennis, since it's the best warm-up for my legs.

I ride with my wife and kids sometimes on weekends. I think of riding to church in casual clothes and toweling off when I get there, but I've only done it once, when my wife and kids were out of town. It was winter, so I wasn't very sweaty at all. Just locked the bike up on a bannister out front....rode home the long way.

Mostly, I ride urban.....on side streets. I absolutely love it. I'm thinking about switching my drop bars to flats....for the visibility. But I'd miss the multiple hand positions. Maybe bullhorns or cowhorns or something? What do you cats suggest?

I don't shift much. Even though I have a 2x9 and a 24 speed in the garage, I'm pretty much a singlespeed guy at heart. If I want to go faster, I pedal harder. But going fast is not really my thing anymore. I prefer riding safely in a fairly high gear. I drop it to the middle ring for climbs. I took off the granny ring when I moved away from the mountains, back to the city. I like slicks. 700c x 32, nice and fat for the crappy roads.
I have yet to try a fixie.

I love the bike forums almost as much as I love tennis.
Next to tennis, I feel that a bicycle with panniers is man's greatest invention ... ever. Self-powered transportation! Efficient. Powerful. Fun. You feel like a kid again!

Of course, I play with a modern racquet, and I will admit to having a fairly nice car ..... but in my dreams, I'm on a steel bike with two wooden Dunlops on the rear rack, two cans of balls bungeed on. Two water bottles in the cages. Done. All I need besides my family.

Cool thread, BTW.

Ronaldo
12-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Curious, anyone prefer cycling with a fixed gear in the city?

Hominator
12-10-2009, 05:32 PM
2008 Specialized Tarmac SL2 w/DA 7900 and HED Ardennes wheelset. Zipp stem and handlebar. Speedplay Light Action pedals. Nokon cabling. 15 lbs. even.

2009 Felt AR4 w/DA 7900, Zero G ti brakes, Zipp stem, contour handlebar, and 404 clincher wheelset. Speedplay pedals. 16.08 lbs.

pics coming...

:)

Hominator
12-10-2009, 05:43 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/20szslw.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/23ux9qa.jpg

Jay_The_Nomad
12-11-2009, 06:17 AM
Swimming is my weakest leg. I never swim (maybe twice a month) because its just so boring. I cycle all the time and im a great runner so thats where I make my time.

Yeah you can really attack the clock on the bike & the run.

The swim really is about hanging in there.

coyfish
12-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Yep thank god the swim doesn't make or break you. The main thing is just to conserve energy. You can't make much time in the water. I try and save it all for the run. I train / hold at 20mph on the bike. Then when the run comes around . . . time to pass the pro's !

FastFreddy
12-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Nice bikes 16 and 15 pound are pretty light bikes. My litespeed was 14 pounds even with zipp z-4 wheels back in 2005. Now you can build a 12 pound road bike for 16k. That's about the lightest every day bike you can build. The world record is 9 pounds but that bike would be unsafe to use on a training ride that's a show bike only.

DANMAN
12-11-2009, 11:04 AM
I do some road biking and tri racing. I've got a 2008 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 with 105s all stock for the road. I wish I would have gone a little more high tech in the beginning, but my budget did not allow it at the time.

I recently got a 2008 Kuota K Factor with dura ace and ultegra that was brand new from one of the big online bike retailers. The full carbon tri frame is a blast to ride.

I'm a joke in the water, strong on the bike, and strong on the run. I don't have much time to train currently but will be doing my first half ironman in April 2010. Running a half marathon in late February to train. The key for me will be to not drown. Once out of the water, I know I will finish. I will set a time goal for myself, but the first one will really be about finishing.

Great thread. I know some have posted in older discussions that cycling is bad for the tennis, but I have found it a great exercise that allows me to keep my explosivity on the court more so than running does (in the days immediately after a workout). I wish I could cycle and train more, but my tennis game would suffer too much. We just can't do it all unfortunately.

coyfish
12-11-2009, 02:13 PM
If you take any long distance cardio to an extreme its bad for tennis. But unless your going for 8+ mile runs or 30+ mile bike rides your fine. I train for triathlons and weightlift. Im yet to find someone faster then me on the tennis court :).

Hominator
12-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Nice bikes 16 and 15 pound are pretty light bikes. My litespeed was 14 pounds even with zipp z-4 wheels back in 2005. Now you can build a 12 pound road bike for 16k. That's about the lightest every day bike you can build. The world record is 9 pounds but that bike would be unsafe to use on a training ride that's a show bike only.

Thanks. I realized that I could get my Tarmac sub 13 lbs. if I went with tubulars and made a few changes, but those changes would probably cost me $3K. Totally not worth it to me, especially since I could take 15 lbs. off my own body first ;)

mental midget
12-12-2009, 06:30 AM
Yep thank god the swim doesn't make or break you. The main thing is just to conserve energy. You can't make much time in the water. I try and save it all for the run. I train / hold at 20mph on the bike. Then when the run comes around . . . time to pass the pro's !

yeah, nothing's more frustrating than being a strong swimmer in a triathlon.

anybody here ever done any adult competitive swimming? was just checking out the usms website, looks interesting.

FastFreddy
12-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Thanks. I realized that I could get my Tarmac sub 13 lbs. if I went with tubulars and made a few changes, but those changes would probably cost me $3K. Totally not worth it to me, especially since I could take 15 lbs. off my own body first ;)

I looked at your parts on your Tarmac like your wheels 1360 grams and pedals those are really light already. What changes could you make to get down to 13lbs for 3k. I could see you get down to 14 pounds by getting a set of lightweight Obermayer tubular wheels 960 grams. You could switch to Campy super record but it's only a little lighter than Dura Ace. What size is your bike 52? I already built my dream bike on competivecyclist and a 12 pound bike would be 16k with a 4500.00 frame and 6500.00 wheelset.

slice bh compliment
12-12-2009, 08:58 AM
You guys are acting like what many of us commute-bike and cyclocross guys call 'weight weenies'.

CHeers, guys, more power to you. Have a great ride...and some great tennis this weekend. I'm about to do both, I think.

Hominator
12-12-2009, 05:13 PM
I looked at your parts on your Tarmac like your wheels 1360 grams and pedals those are really light already. What changes could you make to get down to 13lbs for 3k. I could see you get down to 14 pounds by getting a set of lightweight Obermayer tubular wheels 960 grams. You could switch to Campy super record but it's only a little lighter than Dura Ace. What size is your bike 52? I already built my dream bike on competivecyclist and a 12 pound bike would be 16k with a 4500.00 frame and 6500.00 wheelset.

I'd have to go w/Zipp 202 tubulars, swap out my DA7900 for SRAM Red, Zero G ti brakes, Speedplay nanogram pedals, and a lighter saddle. I'd get the biggest weight savings from tubulars and the brake calipers, I think (about 1.5 pounds). I think that would get me pretty close, if not at 13 lbs. I'd also swap all my bolts on my bike for ti bolts. My SL2 is a 56cm, not a 52.

Maybe I'll do it over time off of ****, but that's a lot of $ for just a little weight savings. Plus, I LOVE the HED Ardennes, my saddle, and the DA7900 brake calipers (great modulation).

FastFreddy
12-12-2009, 07:13 PM
I'd have to go w/Zipp 202 tubulars, swap out my DA7900 for SRAM Red, Zero G ti brakes, Speedplay nanogram pedals, and a lighter saddle. I'd get the biggest weight savings from tubulars and the brake calipers, I think (about 1.5 pounds). I think that would get me pretty close, if not at 13 lbs. I'd also swap all my bolts on my bike for ti bolts. My SL2 is a 56cm, not a 52.

Maybe I'll do it over time off of ****, but that's a lot of $ for just a little weight savings. Plus, I LOVE the HED Ardennes, my saddle, and the DA7900 brake calipers (great modulation).

Is sram red lighter than dura ace? Zipp 202 are 1081 grams my zipp z-4 were like 1220 grams and aero. I had a carbon 100 gram seat on my litespeed. Only thing buy some asso 325.00 shorts to protect your boys and backside. I had zero g ti brakes on my litespeed also they work well maybe not as well as the 7900 brakes.

I would stay away from ti bolts since I had a mag 100 gram stem with them broke a face plate with carbon easton ec 90 bars. I can tell you my litespeed cost 10k for 14 pounds even. Out on the road I had the lightest everyday bike. Most guys bikes are in the 15-16 range. To go 14 or lower to 13 or 12 you are looking at 16-17k. How much money did your current bike cost you 5k?

Hominator
12-13-2009, 03:07 AM
SRAM Red is a bit lighter than Dura Ace 7900 overall. I think I bought all of my parts online retail or on that big auction site. I think my frame used was about $1,500, new grouppo was $1,600, and new wheelset directly from HED w/military discount was about $700. New Nokons were about a $100, IIRC. So I think overall it cost me about $4k to build that bike w/the Zipp stems/handlebar (AWESOME combo, BTW). I think the complete bike retailed for about $7,500, w/Specialized and Roval components.

Now all I have to do is build a better engine :)

FastFreddy
12-16-2009, 03:18 PM
That's a nice bike for 4k. I went out of control and spend 10k on my ride. But I did it over time first I traded my whole Eddy Merckx ti bike 17 pound for a Litespeed frame and fork and headset. Then took the parts off my 16 pound GT bike and put them on my litespeed and sold the frame and other parts.

Next sold 3 sets of wheels two were rolf and one was zipp 404 to buy the zipp z-4 wheels for 3k. I rather have one 14 pound bike then a 17 and 16 pound bikes.
The next year I sold my dura ace and bought Campy record. It was lighter but after riding with both I would pick Dura ace over campy. I would love to get the dura ace 7900 on my next bike if I ever build another one.

drewski711
12-18-2009, 08:41 PM
I run, I play tennis, I xc ski and I like to bike. I notice no one is mentioning mtn biking which I think is better training for tennis (more up and down HR) compared to road riding/TT'ing. I love all my bikes and they are much better bikes than I am a rider.
As for my bike stable, my road bike is a Specialized Roubaix S-works- Light, comfortable ride and great for climbing. Not the greatest crit bike but I've given those up in my old age (41)
Mtn bikes- two of them- Titus Racer X full suspension. Great bike and I built it from the ground up. Sweet ride especially on the rock gardens around here.
The other one is a Seven Sola hardtail. Great on the smoother trails. I'm still proud that Seven has my paint job/bike I designed on their website. I love all my bikes but this one is special. Until I get the Pegoretti I've been drooling after, this is my fav.

http://www.sevencycles.com/about/galleryCloseUp.php?image=/images/about/framepaintgallery/1754E02.jpg&info=Mint%20Chocolate%3Cbr%3EMint,%20Cue%20Ball%20 White,%20Metallic%20Black

FastFreddy
12-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Well the mtn bike riders I seen tend to crash a whole lot more than the road bikers. Not to say you can't crash out on the road. As far as hr goes I would say it's the same it just depends where you ride and how hard. My club training rides are 50-60 miles at 3 percent average grade. My average hr is 156-162hr and 20-21mph average The hills are 7-9 percent for 3-4 miles long. The biggest is 7 percent for 13.5 miles up to 5600ft.
I would pick Litepeed road bikes over Seven the few guys I ran into riding those were snobs. Same with Merlin rodies. Have no clue about mtb bike riders. PS crit is short for crashing I would use a cheap bike and wheels for those races since they are so dangerous.

Tennis Ball Hitter
12-29-2009, 03:04 AM
geez I thought I had a bike but compared to some of you guys, I have toys !!!!

I have a giant crx4 with a rack which I use with panniers to commute. And I have an azzurri milano (taiwanese not italian ... go figure).

I am doing 80km rides once a week, also probably do a 40-50km ride sometime during the week as well not including my commuting which i ride rather slowly anyway. Since i am off work for christmas holidays I can ride 2-3 or more times a week :).

aiming to do the tour down under challenge tour 160km http://www.mcct.tourdownunder.com.au/ probably aiming just to finish at the moment ... I might push myself in the last 40 km if I can.

only been riding 6 months and only been doing 80km rides for 2 months so still have no idea how i am going to go.

coyfish
01-19-2010, 09:22 AM
geez I thought I had a bike but compared to some of you guys, I have toys !!!!

I have a giant crx4 with a rack which I use with panniers to commute. And I have an azzurri milano (taiwanese not italian ... go figure).

I am doing 80km rides once a week, also probably do a 40-50km ride sometime during the week as well not including my commuting which i ride rather slowly anyway. Since i am off work for christmas holidays I can ride 2-3 or more times a week :).

aiming to do the tour down under challenge tour 160km http://www.mcct.tourdownunder.com.au/ probably aiming just to finish at the moment ... I might push myself in the last 40 km if I can.

only been riding 6 months and only been doing 80km rides for 2 months so still have no idea how i am going to go.

Lets just hope the people with high end bikes actually ride them well. I see people who are overweight / not in the best shape riding 10 grand bikes all the time in the trial where I ride. If you aren't very experienced, have no wind tunnel evaluation of your riding position, or don't race then you shouldn't even be allowed to look at high end bikes as far as im conscerned but its your money so . . .