PDA

View Full Version : Are you a reader?

max
12-08-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm curious whether folks still maintain this quaint custom. :)

rommil
12-08-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm curious whether folks still maintain this quaint custom. :)

Do menus count? LOL. I try to as much as I can which is not quite often.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-08-2009, 10:02 AM
My wife reads a fiction book a day. I read some magazines, articles but rarely a book.

r2473
12-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Sort of.

I use public transportation for my commute. I find it easier to listen to books. Easier to concentrate and no one talks to me.

I use Librivox:

http://librivox.org/

I am "reading" David Copperfield at the moment.

EDIT: Good idea Camilio. I mainly read classic literature. I also enjoy reading philosophy, but that is not easy to read on the commute. Requires too much concentration.

Camilio Pascual
12-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Yes. To make it more interesting maybe we should describe what we read and/or favourite authors?
Mainly:
crime novels - James Ellroy
baseball books covering statistics and evaluation - Bill James
astronomy/physics - Feynmann
WWI - Ferguson
Also: anthropology, bicycling, geology, both Vietnam Wars, Pacific War, art history
Being anti-American/British and pro-German concerning WWI, I have been very interested in the changing perceptions of mainly British authors since at least the 1950's to the present day.
I have the US Army/Marines Corps Counterinsurgency Field Manual, but have been unable to find anybody interested enough to read it.
Am thinking of reading and rereading great literature. I was blown away by overhearing a retired cabbie at White Castle talk about "Gertrude" by Herman Hesse. Instant friendship.

Rhino
12-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Of course. I like biographies.
I've read the Boris Becker one, the Tim Henman one and the Vince Spadea one. I think my girlfriend will get me "Open" for christmas.

r2473
12-08-2009, 11:15 AM
I think my girlfriend will get me "Open" for christmas.

Hey, this is a thread about reading books. :)

Snipergene
12-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Mainly books on CD's which I transfer my iPod. 7-10 hours/week commuting. I get through about 10-15 books a year this way.

2 or 3 hard copy books a year at most.

Mr.Brightside
12-08-2009, 01:10 PM
i read lots