PDA

View Full Version : Similiar feel to gut but with good/decent spin potential

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
12-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Having played with gut, x-one and NRG none have given my spin as much as my current string: MSV Focus-Hex
My only problem is that MSV Focus-Hex feels dead all the time.
Gut has, of course given loads of feel, it helped my game, but MSV provided me with enough spin so i could hit shots more confidently.

Should I hybrid the 2 or is there another string?

THESEXPISTOL
12-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Tecnifibre TGV if you can afford it

TonyB
12-08-2009, 02:07 PM
I love the hybrid of MSV hex mains and natural gut crosses.

Expensive, but it lasts a long time and plays great.

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
12-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Yeah, thats what i thought, wouldnt the MSV eat away at the gut though?

Cup8489
12-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah, thats what i thought, wouldnt the MSV eat away at the gut though?

depending on the gut you use, the gut most likely would cause the msv to break. gut is very durable stuff. a hybrid of ALU Power or ALU Rough with VS 16 crosses, the poly will break, not the gut.

have you tried high tension with gut? it plays well at higher tensions, and with higher tensions you will always get more spin as well, thus more control.

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
12-12-2009, 06:36 AM
I wasnt expecting that...
How about a full bed of x-one but with high tension?
guts too expensive for my parents (Im 13)

Meaghan
12-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Go gut or x1 in the mains and pro supex blue gear crosses (cheap but good poly, supposedly poor mans alu rough!).
Gut/x1 are wasted in the crosses and have little affect whereas the poly cross aids spin alongside the feel and power of the gut in the mains.

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
01-06-2010, 06:23 AM
Tecnifibre TGV if you can afford it

A full bed?

ClubHoUno
01-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Babolat VS TEAM 17@ CORRECT HIGH TENSION 62-64 lbs is the string with most spin I've ever played with - and mind you I've tried 50+ of the best TWISTED/edged CoPoly in thin gauges, you can buy (all from Luxilon, Signum, Tecnifibre, WeissCannon, Babolat etc.)

So hybrid VS 17 MAINS @ 62-64 lbS with a good CoPoly @ 58 lbs in the crosses and you're all set and can spin the ball like crazy :D

JT_2eighty
01-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Since your on a budget, VS may be out of your folks' price range, so while I would follow what Club suggests, because it is definitely my fav setup for max spin, there are a few cheaper methods (although nothing will match the VS completely), but here goes:

My first question is, do you string your own? Either way, even some of the cheaper guts out there will suffice since they will still be the most elastic string compared to any multi, so although I've never used it, maybe Titan gut is in your price-range, and if you string your own, they sell half-sets which then you don't have to mess with measuring the string, but a professional stringer will not be happy or sometimes even willing, to string the cheapo guts. I've actually used Unifibre in this case before, and it lasted a good 10+ matches before breaking which really surprised me, and was getting some of the best spin with that and a super cheap poly cross, strung in the mid-50s.

Anyway, I've also heard that Isospeed Professional classic 17 is a good Gut substitute which is inexpensive, or even less expensive and supposedly "gut-like" is a multi from Alpha called Gut 2000 18g. The thin gauge will help you in the feel/spin/liveliness department as well.

If you want the least expensive, the Alpha is less than $6 a set, and then use your same MSV in the cross (which also happens to be my favorite poly). I actually might try that combo soon for myself.

vincent_tennis
01-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Try Global Gut :D
mine died in 5days cuz i was living in hk + it was also raining (dw i didnt play in the rain with gut LoL)

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
01-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Babolat VS TEAM 17@ CORRECT HIGH TENSION 62-64 lbs is the string with most spin I've ever played with - and mind you I've tried 50+ of the best TWISTED/edged CoPoly in thin gauges, you can buy (all from Luxilon, Signum, Tecnifibre, WeissCannon, Babolat etc.)

So hybrid VS 17 MAINS @ 62-64 lbS with a good CoPoly @ 58 lbs in the crosses and you're all set and can spin the ball like crazy

Since your on a budget, VS may be out of your folks' price range, so while I would follow what Club suggests, because it is definitely my fav setup for max spin, there are a few cheaper methods (although nothing will match the VS completely), but here goes:

My first question is, do you string your own? Either way, even some of the cheaper guts out there will suffice since they will still be the most elastic string compared to any multi, so although I've never used it, maybe Titan gut is in your price-range, and if you string your own, they sell half-sets which then you don't have to mess with measuring the string, but a professional stringer will not be happy or sometimes even willing, to string the cheapo guts. I've actually used Unifibre in this case before, and it lasted a good 10+ matches before breaking which really surprised me, and was getting some of the best spin with that and a super cheap poly cross, strung in the mid-50s.

Anyway, I've also heard that Isospeed Professional classic 17 is a good Gut substitute which is inexpensive, or even less expensive and supposedly "gut-like" is a multi from Alpha called Gut 2000 18g. The thin gauge will help you in the feel/spin/liveliness department as well.

If you want the least expensive, the Alpha is less than $6 a set, and then use your same MSV in the cross (which also happens to be my favorite poly). I actually might try that combo soon for myself.

Thanks for the advice,
Anyone know any good online stores in the uk..
at the moment i use $tring3rsw0rld.co.uk
they have great prices but don't have a huge range...
I'm sponsored by Mantis, they should be releasing some gut soon
so maybe i can get it off them?
please tell me where you get ur strings from...

JT_2eighty
01-06-2010, 02:49 PM
I get them right here from TW, not sure what TW uk has, if anything. good luck

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
01-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Theres no such thing as TW Uk (annoyingly)
but tw europe has the same variety but when you convert euros into
then it costs more anyway...
bumm3r