PDA

View Full Version : lead tape at 10 and 2 o'clock effects

AT92292
12-08-2009, 06:47 PM
I just recently moved my 8 grams of lead tape at 3 and 9 o'clock to 10 and 2 because I wanted to more power. I got the extra power but its almost too hard to control. Is this normal. Should I just up the tension??

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Yes up the tension. By moving your lead to 10 & 2 you raised the sweet spot up. See how it plays without lead. Its probably easier to change 1 thing at a time.

ManuGinobili
12-08-2009, 11:15 PM
lead tape at 3&9 is supposed to give you more power, unless you're the type that make contact with the ball very high in the stringbed. Are you sure it's not your perception, or the string got looser (especially when it's luxilon)?
Overall, adding lead tape at where you make contact with the ball the most will give you the most plow through
Here's the textbook:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=295789

chaddles
12-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Lead tape at 3 & 9 will only increase the overall power marginally (compared to 10 & 2, and 12)- the main purpose of 3 & 9 is to add stability on off-centre shots and spread the sweet spot towards the sides, while mildly increasing power. I found this to be the most effective, combined with an increase in tension of poly.

bdudaday
12-09-2009, 10:31 AM
I agree that the tape at 10 and 2 provides a nice heft to the racquet and especially improves the feel on volleys. I would recommending complimenting this with some tape under the grip as well. This will maintain the original balance and keep the stick from being too head heavy.

I've posted more pics on my equipment profile here:
http://www.stuffbox.com/Box/?bid=50023

AT92292
12-09-2009, 12:15 PM
I usually have 8 grams at 3 and 9, 4 in the throat and 4 under the grip. I moved the 8 grams at 3 and 9 to 10 and 2 cuz i wanted more power. i definitely got it but its a little wild. Volleys are much better though. I usually use Lux ALU at 58 lbs. and strung fresh for this experiment, so it wasnt strings.

xFullCourtTenniSx
12-11-2009, 02:22 AM
Lead tape at 3 & 9 will only increase the overall power marginally (compared to 10 & 2, and 12)- the main purpose of 3 & 9 is to add stability on off-centre shots and spread the sweet spot towards the sides, while mildly increasing power. I found this to be the most effective, combined with an increase in tension of poly.

True, but adding a junkload of weight there adds tremendous power and stability anyway without any real loss of control. Also, you can swing harder worry free because of the added stability on off center shots.

The problem with adding lead at 12 apparently (according to travlerajm) is that once you're in a specific swingweight range using that setup, your racket turns into more of a spin machine as opposed to a power factory. I haven't had that problem with lead at 3&9. If anything, the heavy amounts of mass is creating too much power. And since lead at 12 increases swingweight most heavily, you're likely to hit that spin machine zone faster. If you're using a light racket and don't add too much, then you'll be fine and will get the power boost anyway.

As for the OP's question, go back to lead at 3&9, then slap a little bit of lead at 12 to give you the power you want until you get the amount you want.

And Manu, my original concept of plowthrough wasn't 100% spot on when I wrote the first few posts on it. I was thinking stability when pushing the racket through a shot like on a return, which for a K90 came from a combination of rock solid stability as well as it's plowthrough so it caused a bit of confusion on my part, which I've regretfully extended to others such as yourself. I should probably start a thread and update things directly, but I'm personally too lazy. I'll try to do it one day. I'm human, I make a few errors but I learn from it and do my best to keep it updated so I don't let down my fans. The most plowthrough comes from 12, but I still stand by my statement that this type of setup is a bit more difficult to control without the use of heavy spin (because of all that extra power and plow through). :oops: Sorry about that.

I should probably go out and get a few "test subjects" and be more careful in my note-taking. Any racket recommendations for my "test subjects"? :twisted: They shall be thoroughly abused in the name of science. I'm thinking a prestige, purely because I've always wanted one.