PDA

View Full Version : tennis scholarship?

Mr.Brightside
12-08-2009, 08:04 PM
when applying for a tennis scholarship, do your grades play a factor in whether or not you get a scholarship, or solely your tennis performance?

tennismom42
12-08-2009, 09:22 PM
when applying for a tennis scholarship, do your grades play a factor in whether or not you get a scholarship, or solely your tennis performance?You don't apply for a tennis scholarship exactly. Instead, you get recruited. Coach will offer an amount of scholarship $$ or a % of tuition, fees, R&B.

Conversely, academic scholarships are applied for. (BTW, never finish a sentence with a preposition like I just did.)

A student can get an academic scholarship + athletic scholarship + a grant + need-based financial aid, etc, etc.

As for grades, generally speaking your grades should be close to the minimum expectations of the university. However, recruited athletes are given leniency. Still, if the applying student's grades are really, really sub par for the school, the admissions office would hold a meeting to accept or deny the coach's request. So, in summary, a coach can recruit someone with lower GPA, but ultimately the University's Admissions office has final say.

goran_ace
12-09-2009, 07:27 AM
In a way, yes. If you are considering playing at an academically challenging school coachess may not be interested in you because they don't want to (1) waste time recruiting someone who may not get accepted, and/or (2) waste scholarship money on someone who might be academically ineligible.

Mr.Brightside
12-12-2009, 10:20 AM
i see, thanks.

Mr.Brightside
12-13-2009, 02:53 PM
another question, i;m sure it's been answered before but i don't feel like searching, but what's the lowest ranking you could have to be considered for a DII scholarship?

eeytennis
12-14-2009, 06:32 AM
another question, i;m sure it's been answered before but i don't feel like searching, but what's the lowest ranking you could have to be considered for a DII scholarship?

You can be unranked and get money to play at a D2 school. You just have to find the right one.

tennismom42
12-14-2009, 08:54 AM
You can be unranked and get money to play at a D2 school. You just have to find the right one.Agreed. Same for D3, but they only give academic scholarships.

tennismom42
12-14-2009, 08:55 AM
another question, i;m sure it's been answered before but i don't feel like searching, but what's the lowest ranking you could have to be considered for a DII scholarship?Have you done your college search yet on collegeboard.com or some kind of search engine.

That is your first step. Nothing else. Do one search for D2, and a separate one for D3.

tennis005
12-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Well I'm sure they would prefer super smart athletes over just athletes.

Mr.Brightside
12-14-2009, 07:52 PM
^^^ obviously. it's not like i'm failing all my classes or anything, i'm a sophmore. going inot honors precalc next year and possibly honors physics.

tennis005
12-26-2009, 09:29 PM
This question is a little personal. What is your GPA so far? If you don't want to answer, thats ok.

Mr.Brightside
12-28-2009, 01:13 PM
to tell you the truth, i don't actually know. they don't really tell us at my school. maybe i should ask...

azbabolat
02-16-2010, 08:55 AM
I am in the process right now of applying for tennis scholorships and grades are very important. Unless you are amazing at tennis and dumb as a rock you might be able to get in a D2 school. But if your pretty good at tennis then your grades need to be better then your game. I am a 4.5ish and my grades are around a 3.8-4.0. Also, your ACT and SAT scores play a huge factor. Besides, most colleges would take a smart, above average tennis player, then a dumb really good tennis player.