PDA

View Full Version : another volley video

larry10s
12-09-2009, 04:13 AM
http://www.clevertennis.com/?p=1073 cute presentation especially the errors at the begginning

Ash_Smith
12-09-2009, 04:27 AM
quite nicely done, thought it was going to be a bit too cheesy at first but the content is pretty good and actually the presentation style grows on you. Good vid and info for beg/imp players.

12-09-2009, 06:56 AM
That guy sure is a good speaker.

sennoc
12-09-2009, 08:03 AM
...but not a good volleyer.

12-09-2009, 08:22 AM

Wow, Harsh...

LeeD
12-09-2009, 08:33 AM
He CAN volley just fine up to 4.5 maybe....
But EFH grip and playing 3.0 tennis doesn't show it to it's extent.
Always nice to get an incoming 30 mph shoulder high ball. Playing old farts who maximise at 3.0 would make anyone's volley look decent.
I wonder if he actually switched grips for the bachhand volley. Nice backhand volley.

In D Zone
12-09-2009, 08:34 AM

why no show us your moves then...

DUDE,
this clip is meant to be use for instructional vids not some fancy show off clips to impress players like you!

sennoc
12-09-2009, 10:01 AM
why no show us your moves then...

DUDE,
this clip is meant to be use for instructional vids not some fancy show off clips to impress players like you!

If you want to teach, you should be AT LEAST good at what you are doing. In fact, you should be better than "average good". If you are not, you shouldn't teach.

This guy makes fundamental mistakes: he swings the racquet, he deflects his wrist. He doesn't know how to volley properly, no matter are his volleys winners or not.

Unfortunately, I do not have a good video of my volleys. But I have a very short (and old) video with my bad volleys. Strange? Some players love to record their best shots, I prefer to watch my worst...

Click! (http://www.vimeo.com/8081549)

If you know Polish language, you can hear my comments there about my mistakes at these volleys.

Ash_Smith
12-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Not strictly true sennoc, the best players don't necessarily make the best coaches and vice versa. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you can teach someone else to do it. You might be able to show them the shot but that isn't the same as teaching them to do it. Nick Bollitieri is not a good tennis player by any stretch, but he knows how to teach.

As for the guy in the vid he doesnt swing at the ball and I don't know what you mean by deflects the wrist? As for the grip, sire it's not conti, but there's not necessarily anything wrong with hitting a high f/hand volley with a weak eastern grip - Rafa does and he doesn't miss many.

sennoc
12-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Don't use Nadal as an example of a volleyer, he plays most of his volleys in a technically wrong way. They are winners usually, I agree, but he plays volleys in so obvious situations that no matter how he tries to stroke, he hits winners.

Nadal's volleys are not winners due to his technical skills, but because he is a rare guest at the net and goes there to finish easy points. Tactics plays more important role in this situation than technical skills. Add his amazing feel of ball and you have an explanation.

The most fundamental mistake in the first video here is that there is a huge angle between racquet and forearm. This generates large moment of force. Your wrist is under huge pressure (very bad situation), you need a lot of power to make your wrist fixed, the faster ball the less control you have, you have problems to slice your volleys - everything is flat and as you probably know flat balls are hard to control. In short: the most fundamental parts of the volleys in this movie are totally wrong. Even his backhand volley is bad. No wrist action, a swing - this looks like a kind of drive volley (backhand slice).

And yes, I agree again that as a trainer you do not need to be a second Federer, but you should play in a correct way. This guy makes fundamental mistakes. He shouldn't teach volleys because he doesn't understand them.

Ash_Smith
12-09-2009, 01:37 PM
The most fundamental mistake in the first video here is that there is a huge angle between racquet and forearm.

Um, there's very little difference in the angle between his forearm and racquet and and many top pro players - Federer for example on mid-high volleys. Granted his grip makes this look more extreme, that said Mike Bryan hits a very similar volley to this gentlemen (even down to a slight eastern grip) and he can volley.

To me (and i have a little bit of experience in coaching), this is a pretty good video, the info is good for beginners/improvers and his general technique is good to copy for these level players and will likely help them improve - kind of the point. Have you ever considered that maybe you have it wrong with your technique and ideas?

larry10s
12-10-2009, 03:46 AM
i thought if you broke down his technique it was solid especially for the audience intended. the racquet forearm angle is what you see in most elite volliers. he lays his wrist back keeps the racquet in front and has a short compact swingpath outside in. on the backhand good unit turn outside in swing path leads with the edge of the racquet. thats good technique to me. yes hes alittle goofy and not a past top 10 player from the tour i would guess but his style is entertaining and of value to the begginner intermediate player. imho.