PDA

View Full Version : Best Gut under $30 a Set?

TripleB
12-09-2009, 06:22 AM
Thinking of going to a hybrid stringing with natural gut to soften up my Becker Pro racquets.

IYO, what's the best natural gut string for under $30 a set?

Thanks.

TripleB

wrxtotoro
12-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Pacific Classic if you are looking to soften up a poly hybrid. If you want to do a full job, I'd perfer Klip Legend though.

ClubHoUno
12-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Babolat Tonic+ 16 gauge 'Ball feel'

TripleB
12-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Pacific Classic if you are looking to soften up a poly hybrid. If you want to do a full job, I'd perfer Klip Legend though.

Yep...at this point trying to keep a poly in the mains so it would be to soften up the poly (and 68 flex of the racquet).

TripleB

Cup8489
12-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Yep...at this point trying to keep a poly in the mains so it would be to soften up the poly (and 68 flex of the racquet).

TripleB

i second the classic. very nice feel, nice and soft. great for what you're looking for.

2handsbothsides
12-09-2009, 07:45 AM
I triple the classic with no prestretch. Recently compared side by side with Legend and Tonic. Legend and classic played about the same initially but the classic held its playability longer. I had a tough time with Tonic. First tried it without prestretch and had to cut it out after a few hours of play due to excessive spring and power. Next tried tonic with prestretch, which improved the situation but it still came in third to classic and legend in overall long lasting playability.

I still think BDE Performance was the better string but given they are no longer in business I am now with classic unless someone can find a better option. By the way, all my play tests were with a gut main and Forten Sweet cross.

TripleB
12-09-2009, 08:13 AM
I triple the classic with no prestretch.

I plan on putting the hybrid in a Becker Pro racquet with Luxilon BB ALU Fluoro as my mains strung at 53 or 54 pounds.

2 Questions:
1) what tension do you think I should string the gut at for my crosses?
2) I notice that the Pacific Classic doesn't come in a 15L...how durable will the 16g of this gut be as a cross with the Luxilon?

Thanks for all the input...it's been a great help.

TripleB

drummerdan
12-09-2009, 08:41 AM
I haven't completed testing yet, but Gaucho Gut is working very well as a full job so far. Only $14 a set. I don't know about it as a hybrid yet, but it may be worth a try for you.

Rabbit
12-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Thinking of going to a hybrid stringing with natural gut to soften up my Becker Pro racquets.

IYO, what's the best natural gut string for under $30 a set?

Thanks.

TripleB

Wait, wait, wait, WAIT! What's this Becker Pro stuff? I thought you were gaga over the T-7. You were so gaga that I went out and bought one! TripleB......no matter how much things change, they stay the same :)

My personal recommendation is for Pacific Classic especially if you're hybriding with a poly. Pacific Classic is firmer playing and Pacific advertises that due to that fact, you can string it looser which would go better with a poly cross.

I have used Pacific Prime 16 with Pacific Polyforce Original in the crosses at 63 in a Dunlop AG100 with no adverse effects, so I think you'd be fine with a considerably lower tension using Classic.

TripleB
12-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Wait, wait, wait, WAIT! What's this Becker Pro stuff? I thought you were gaga over the T-7. You were so gaga that I went out and bought one! TripleB......no matter how much things change, they stay the same :)

I still love the T-7...especially for singles...it is a lighter and larger version of my POG Mid. However, when the Becker Pro went on sale I bought a couple because when I did my playtest with it I loved the comfort and power level (thought this might be great for my doubles play).

Unfortunately with a poly/syn hybrid at 57 pounds my elbow aches for days so before I gave up on it and went 100% to the T-7 (for all my tennis playing needs) I would throw a hybrid with gut in it and drop the tension.

The T-7 is still my go to racquet!!!

Thanks for the advice on the guts.

TripleB

Rabbit
12-09-2009, 10:26 AM
TripleB - a buddy of mine uses a hybrid and he is about of the opinion that a full gut job would last longer than a gut/multi hybrid. I think the durability of the gut/poly hybrid is better, but playability isn't as good long term.

As far as Classic goes, I think you'd be pleased with the 16 gauge's durability.

stanfordtennis alum
12-09-2009, 10:41 AM
i would say pacific classic gut or klip legend

AznAssassin
12-09-2009, 04:47 PM
I think one of the greatest "cheap" natural gut strings are the Gaucho natural gut. If you go their website, gauchostrings.com, you can order them....at the great price of $14 a set!!!!!

meowmix
12-09-2009, 06:13 PM
I haven't tried any of the expensive guts, but Global is working well for me in my Ipex 7.0 MP. It really softens the Lux I have in my mains quite nicely. It sure is a PITA to string though.

marosmith
12-09-2009, 08:02 PM
I think one of the greatest "cheap" natural gut strings are the Gaucho natural gut. If you go their website, gauchostrings.com, you can order them....at the great price of $14 a set!!!!!

agreed....

alidisperanza
12-09-2009, 08:19 PM
A lot of the guys have made good suggestions. Under 20 I'd say that Gaucho is your best bet.

Under 30, Klip Legend or the classic would be great choices. I wasn't too crazy about the Tonic +, maybe because I expected it to be VS-like and it wasn't but oh well... Just an extra opinion.

vincent_tennis
12-10-2009, 05:16 AM
GLOBAL GUT, i think there was a thread on it a while ago.....

sciwriter
12-10-2009, 05:37 AM
I like Classic best, though it's springy until it notches, and then it's crisp with controllable power and holds tension. Klip is good at first but it goes mushy long before it breaks rather like a multi. Tonic stays springy and is hard to control.

TripleB
12-10-2009, 06:46 AM

Unfortunately you have to order 50 sets when you order so I would have to pay $700 to try the string out :).

TripleB

topanlego
12-10-2009, 08:15 AM
You can order 1 set if you wanted @ $14 + shipping

TripleB
12-10-2009, 09:30 AM
You can order 1 set if you wanted @ $14 + shipping

Oh OK...I should have clicked on more info beside the string instead of beside 'retailers'....duh!!!

Any idea how much shipping is on a set or two?

Got my answer...emailed them and had a response in less than 30 minutes: S&H is $5.00 for up to 10 sets; 15L colors: natural; 16g colors: navy, purple, gold, aqua, green, red, and natural.

Thanks.

TripleB

meowmix
12-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Actually, I'm going to reserve further comments on Global until I test it some more... I'm not a string breaker, and after just 1 1/2 hours of light hitting, the string has frayed a LOT in the center of my racket. I assume that I'm hitting the sweetspot, because in the center 8 strings or so, my gut crosses look really worn. Since I've gotten a stringing machine, I've never broken a string (I restring every month or so). Before that, I broke a main every 4-6 months or so. I don't know how long these strings will last... I'm hoping they'll last a long time, but from what I'm seeing right now, they might not last me more than 10 hours...

Rabbit
12-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Oh OK...I should have clicked on more info beside the string instead of beside 'retailers'....duh!!!

Any idea how much shipping is on a set or two?

Got my answer...emailed them and had a response in less than 30 minutes: S&H is $5.00 for up to 10 sets; 15L colors: natural; 16g colors: navy, purple, gold, aqua, green, red, and natural.

Thanks.

TripleB

Do yourself a favor before you order....based on some other threads here, I definitely would hesitate before ordering anything thicker than 16 gauge in this gut....it is thicker than others and may prove impossible to string or stringing may render its life short

gameboy
12-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Anybody try Titan? Sold on TW and not much more than Gaucho...

gameboy
12-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Actually, I'm going to reserve further comments on Global until I test it some more... I'm not a string breaker, and after just 1 1/2 hours of light hitting, the string has frayed a LOT in the center of my racket. I assume that I'm hitting the sweetspot, because in the center 8 strings or so, my gut crosses look really worn. Since I've gotten a stringing machine, I've never broken a string (I restring every month or so). Before that, I broke a main every 4-6 months or so. I don't know how long these strings will last... I'm hoping they'll last a long time, but from what I'm seeing right now, they might not last me more than 10 hours...

I wouldn't worry too much. If it did not break after the initial string job, they last well. My fraying kinda plateaued after awhile and lasted about 30 hours for me. I went through 3 other synthetic string jobs in my other racquet during that time.

Funbun
12-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Anybody try Titan? Sold on TW and not much more than Gaucho...

I'm also considering the Titan half sets, especially the 16g. Any comments on this? Or is it just a good deal gone bad?