PDA

View Full Version : Grip size and elbow health...

Maverick16
12-09-2009, 12:33 PM
I plan on buying a classic racquet, and I can only find it in either grip size of
4 3/8 or 4 5/8. I normally use a 4 1/2.
Is is better to go with a smaller grip or larger grip than what you are used to.
I read somewhere that too small a grip may play a factor in tennis elbow.
Would getting a slightly larger grip cause any problems?

Kunohara
12-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Go with the smaller grip, and install an overgrip or 2, whichever brings you to your normal fit.

HitItHarder
12-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Playing with a grip that is too large or too small both can cause a problem because it can lead to gripping the racquet too tight in order to maintain control. If you are choking your racquet, it is likely to lead to forearm pain and it can lead to some TE type pain.

I know this first hand. Best bet is to buy the smaller grip and use an overgrip or two to increase the size to one you are comfortable with.

Of course, you may play with the smaller grip and like it and not have any problems. Some people prefer a smaller grip and don't have any problems. I gripped too tight with the smaller size, so it didn't work for me. If you do do play with a small size and start to notice arm pain, the first thing I would do is add to the grip size using overgrips.

dlk
12-09-2009, 02:35 PM
I find too large a grip causes me problems. Too small not so much. I agree with smaller grip & overwrap up to find right size.

crash1929
12-09-2009, 09:38 PM
i play better with a smaller grip used to use 1/2 now 3/8 with no overgrip on a babolat....but it shocked my sytem. I also took the lead tape off (alot) at the same time. I feel better I hope my arm can get used to the new feel and I hope the initiall tenderness will go away.

jpr
12-10-2009, 04:55 AM
FWIW

i had a TE problem years ago, when larger grips were in fashion. i played with 5 1/8 for 10+ years with no problems. i've now developed bad GE after using polys for a few years. been experimenting with 4 1/2 to 5/8 grip with limited results.

AAAA
12-10-2009, 08:03 AM
This depends uniquely on the person imo. According to the de facto rule I should use a 4 5/8 but at that size I can't get enough grip (fingers) around the handle to hold it firmly enough on hard shots resulting in a lose of control and more importantly painful sensations in the lower arm and elbow when the racquet is knocked loose on a hard shot. Conversely the same pain when the grip is too small.

Regarding the question go smaller because building the grip up by adding overgrips or gluing thin material to the handle to increase the grip size is a reversible process whereas shaving the handle down in size isn't.

charliefedererer
12-10-2009, 12:40 PM
I plan on buying a classic racquet, and I can only find it in either grip size of
4 3/8 or 4 5/8. I normally use a 4 1/2.
Is is better to go with a smaller grip or larger grip than what you are used to.
I read somewhere that too small a grip may play a factor in tennis elbow.
Would getting a slightly larger grip cause any problems?

"A too-small grip requires more muscle strength to keep the racquet from twisting in your hand. Prolonged use of a grip that's too small can contribute to tennis elbow problems. A grip that's too large inhibits wrist snap on serves, makes changing grips more difficult and also requires more muscle strength. Prolonged use of a grip that's too big can also contribute to tennis elbow problems." http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Gripsize.html