PDA

View Full Version : Tension Question

tennisdude083
12-09-2009, 11:51 AM
I usually play with a full bed of poly at a tension slightly above the middle range. However, often times I notice that I start hitting really well right before my strings break. Does this mean I should use a lower tension? I ask because usually when my strings start to lose tension it starts to feel too trampoline-ish, which is why I have been using a slightly higher tension. Thanks.

gflyer
12-09-2009, 12:19 PM
In general I'd say to try to string lower.
But I didn't understand something.
you say that you hit well before the strings break, but then you say that you feel the stringbed too trampoline-ish.

tennisdude083
12-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Yeah that is why I am not sure. The tension drops after a few days and I experience the trampoline effect. After a couple more days I will be hitting and I will start hitting really well, with all of my shots feeling really good. I will hit like this for 5-10 minutes and the string breaks. That was probably confusing too...

gflyer
12-09-2009, 03:22 PM
my guess is that after few days the tension settles and you adjust your strokes accordingly.
I would try to string a little lower also because the tension loss should be reduced.
Or maybe you could try a thicker gauge.
what strings are u using? tension? racquet?

shaysrebelII
12-09-2009, 04:11 PM
yeah this could be a string-specific issue; what kinda string you got?

tennisdude083
12-10-2009, 10:54 AM
I am not sure exactly what kind of string it was because my high school coach was stringing them. I'm pretty sure he said they were luxilon though. I was only paying $10 so I didn't really care :).

I was using the Dunlop Aerogel and M-fil 300s with tension @60 lbs, sometimes 62.

InsideOut94
12-11-2009, 03:30 PM
I am not sure exactly what kind of string it was because my high school coach was stringing them. I'm pretty sure he said they were luxilon though. I was only paying $10 so I didn't really care :).

I was using the Dunlop Aerogel and M-fil 300s with tension @60 lbs, sometimes 62.

I doubt it was Luxilon if it was only $10 to string and supply the string. Try using a Gut instead of a poly string as well.