PDA

View Full Version : ESP CZE Doubles positioning

LafayetteHitter
12-09-2009, 01:35 PM
I found it interesting today watching this match on TTC that during return of serve on prob 95 percent of the points the returning team played 2 back. In club level tennis you never hardly see the two players back on return of serve. I have played 90 percent singles for years and this year started moving into some doubles play. I've noticed that at almost every level of play anything besides one up one back will have a partner making faces at you. I believe to some extent players even up to 4.0 and 4.5, just stand where they see everyone else positioning.

LeeD
12-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Depends how good the volley is compared to the topspin groundies.
Seems lately, more emphasis on TS groundies, so they get better, and no emphasis on volleys, so they get worse.
If you got two guys who want to pound groundies, why force one up at the net?

LafayetteHitter
12-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Depends how good the volley is compared to the topspin groundies.
Seems lately, more emphasis on TS groundies, so they get better, and no emphasis on volleys, so they get worse.
If you got two guys who want to pound groundies, why force one up at the net?

Good post thanks for the thoughts. Should be an interesting discussion.

FloridaAG
12-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Apart from the general trends of singles players playing doubles (preference to play back versus at net) this is largely a result of the quality of pro servers. If the net man for the returners is simply going to present a target for the servers to nail with volleys of the weak return what is the point of having him up there -

Ash_Smith
12-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Also at the top level most servers will serve volley - it's no fun being the only net player on your side against two on the other so both back is a good defensive position.

As a general rule "two up" is the best position to be in, "both back" the second best and "one up, one back" the least effective. Weirdly this is the one most club players use 90% of the time and it drives me nuts!!!

julian
12-09-2009, 02:14 PM
I found it interesting today watching this match on TTC that during return of serve on prob 95 percent of the points the returning team played 2 back. In club level tennis you never hardly see the two players back on return of serve. I have played 90 percent singles for years and this year started moving into some doubles play. I've noticed that at almost every level of play anything besides one up one back will have a partner making faces at you. I believe to some extent players even up to 4.0 and 4.5, just stand where they see everyone else positioning.
A distinction should be made between a return of a FIRST and SECOND SERVE

papa
12-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Although one up one back is the traditional formation, your starting to see both back, particularly on first serve - not common but your starting to see it more. Actually, I've played that myself at times and it can be quite bothersome/troubling to the opposition. Funny how little changes can throw players off.