PDA

View Full Version : TT Ski/Snowboard/Sledding Club!

Pages : [1] 2

SuperFly
12-09-2009, 02:15 PM
If you live in an area where you can sled, ski or snowboard, talk about how awesome you are here.

Right now there's a strong storm in my area right now and tomorrow looks to have similar conditions to Antarctica, so no sled races until around Friday, possibly saturday. That sucks because then the snow has time to harden up. I can't dig into the snow and it'll be hard to maneuver, which is terrible when you're in a full-contact heat (my friends and I play hardcore sledding-you can ram, cause spinouts, etc. as long as you don't use your arms to push off the target.)

Discuss.

r2473
12-09-2009, 02:21 PM
We need more snow!!!!

http://www.alta.com/pages/report.php

maddogz32
12-09-2009, 03:05 PM
my favorite place to ski is in lake tahoe, california

pabletion
12-09-2009, 03:25 PM
I loved it, have gone skiing 3 times.... only at Snowshoe Mt. at West Virginia, prolly one of the lamest places to ski for all you snobby skiers but I absolutely loved it, cant wait to go skiing again, but would love to upgrade to Lake Tahoe or Denver, somethin like that...

max
12-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Sign me up---but add skating! I play hockey and cross-country ski.

GRANITECHIEF
12-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Today at Mammoth.

http://discovermammoth.com/image-galleries/120909/

nCode747
12-09-2009, 06:35 PM
http://tellurideskiresort.com/TellSki/index.winter.aspx

http://www.jacksonhole.com/

http://www.bigskyresort.com/

IMO these are the best places in the U.S

http://www.valdisere.com/gb/

Best place in the world (havent been here..yet)

GRANITECHIEF
12-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Wow, today looks like it would have been pretty fun at Mammoth!!

http://discovermammoth.com/image-galleries/12-14-09/img_6609.htm

SuperFly
12-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Took a sled to my local sledding hill. Icy snow+bursts of sun melting snow= SUPER SPEED! :):):)

But if you have to bail out, it hurts like crazy. My hip feels like it's 55. :(

i love t3nn1s
12-14-2009, 10:36 PM

Lake Tahoe is in Nevada.... not California. Nice try.

Breaker
12-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Gonna go Monday, only know how to snowboard but am going to try to learn how to ski since it'll be an all day thing. I'll probably embarrass myself but it's a risk I'm willing to take :)

dropshot winner
12-15-2009, 01:01 AM
Good thread.

Snowboarding is definately one of my favorite sports, and it's been that way since about 14 years ago.

If I'm lucky I can start my season on saturday.

FloridaAG
12-15-2009, 04:29 AM
I do not qualify based on where I live, but I am an avid skier and receiver daily ski report and powder alerts - massive storms in Cali and Utah over the last few days

downs_chris
12-15-2009, 04:49 AM
Lake Tahoe is in Nevada.... not California. Nice try.

south lake tahoe is in cali...the resort, heavenly, is actually in both states...

FloridaAG
12-15-2009, 05:22 AM
Big time fail - do you think Squaw Valley is in Nevada?

GRANITECHIEF
12-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Keeping the thread alive,

Looks nice in Lake Tahoe today after 0.5 to 1 ft of new snow last night.

http://www.tahoetopia.com/webcam/homewood-lakeview

And FYI, the boundary between Ca and Nv runs roughly through the middle of the lake.

TahoeTennis
12-22-2009, 08:20 AM
I've lived in tahoe 11 years and yes it is paradise!

6 inches of fresh snow at my house, about a foot on the mountains.

Powder day takes the blues away!

Headed off to Heaven.....ly!

FloridaAG
12-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Snowing in Utah today as well - haven't got any snow reports e-mailed to me yet. Probably a daily condition and powder alert tomorrow though - 6 weeks or so until my ski trip

GRANITECHIEF
12-22-2009, 09:02 AM
@ TahoeTennis. Oh you lucky @$%%^$%. Today looks like it will be fun! I still have to wait 4 more days!!

TahoeTennis
12-22-2009, 09:07 AM
@ TahoeTennis. Oh you lucky @$%%^$%. Today looks like it will be fun! I still have to wait 4 more days!!

See you on KT-22!

GRANITECHIEF
12-22-2009, 09:08 AM
See you on KT-22!

We could probably arrange that if you are going to be on the north side.

GRANITECHIEF
01-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Revival!!

What can I say? 6 ft plus of new snow in the sierras this week and more to come. Epic! Here is a few pics from mammoth yesterday.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182591

I'm headed for Tahoe/Squaw tomorrow, excited!!

FloridaAG
01-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Awesome GC - have fun. 2 weeks until my trip to Utah

NickC
01-21-2010, 02:41 PM
I was at Whistler Blackcomb a few weeks ago during Christmas break. That was kickass, the back bowl on Blackcomb got around 5 inches one night and I was the first one on it the next morning. It was SICK.

Mikey Fresh
01-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Mammoth is really nice to bad ive only got the privlage to experiance it once... My mom bought a house in jackson hole but havent gotten up there to ride yet, only been up during the summer which was heavenly.This season I have rode vail, breck and 1 night at keystone. The 2 weekends i went there was no snow and was horrible but it was also empty so no complaining about that

N23
01-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Tahoe is 90 minutes away from us here in Sacramento. Great skiing all around as has been stated. Heavenly yes, Squaw NICE, Sierra Ski Ranch great coupons along with Northstar. But seeing as how I've been skiing for 20+ years and only go 2-3 times a year, I'm an average skier. That being said, I love it. It's great.

GRANITECHIEF
09-27-2011, 08:38 AM
How freakin great is this? Squaw and Alpine merged!! Epic!!

http://www.squaw.com/press-release/alpine-meadows-and-squaw-valley-join-forces?WT.mc_id=sa-ba

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/IMG_0234.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/IMG_0249.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/IMG_0243.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/IMG_0267.jpg

Anybody else in TT land getting a pass to these great resorts!

LeeD
09-27-2011, 01:23 PM
That's some awesome news...
A grander scale than Boreal/Donner, where you can hop a fence and ride the other resort legally with a extra $$$ lift ticket.
Couple decades ago, OK, maybe 4, a group of us skiing at Squaw, led by some famous old timers ...NelsonChen, TimRichardson, and a couple of the guys who pioneered jumping off the cornice above Siberia, rode down to Alpine from the backside of OlympicLady, because the ski patrol was waiting at KT. Took quite a while, maybe an hour and a half, and we came out at the access road into Alpine, but NOT near any chair lifts. Like right at the very end of the parking lot for a long walk up to the ticket office to call for a ride..this was obviously before cell phones, but Nelson had one...maybe 1974 or so, but his didn't come close to working outside of the City.
I mostly remember being tail gunner and cramping my right leg on the long right hand traverse.
We'd done the trail down N of the Tram that year, a very huge snow year. I haven't skied or boarded Desolation since the mid '70's.

gregor.b
09-27-2011, 01:28 PM
So jealous of you guys that live near the snow.I live in Brisbane Australia when on a winters day we get about 20 degrees c in the middle of the day and that is cold.

GRANITECHIEF
09-27-2011, 01:36 PM
That's some awesome news...
Couple decades ago, OK, maybe 4, a group of us skiing at Squaw, led by some famous old timers ...NelsonChen, TimRichardson, and a couple of the guys who pioneered jumping off the cornice above Siberia, rode down to Alpine from the backside of OlympicLady, because the ski patrol was waiting at KT. Took quite a while, maybe an hour and a half,.

Awesome story, sounds like a blast. I've looked down toward Alpine Meadows road from the top of KT and it looks like it would take about 5 minutes to get down there. Unfortunately I won't be able to find out legally, as there will not be on snow access between the mountains, only be shuttle. I wish they could secure the permits to finish the lift. For heck sake, they already have the lift towers up!

GRANITECHIEF
09-27-2011, 01:37 PM
So jealous of you guys that live near the snow.I live in Brisbane Australia when on a winters day we get about 20 degrees c in the middle of the day and that is cold.

Haha, near the snow is a relative term, because i have to drive 525 miles (8 hrs) to get there.

max
09-27-2011, 02:23 PM
. . . Just noting that the OP forgot Hockey.

Fed Kennedy
09-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Backside poaching on KT is going to be out of control this year

LeeD
09-27-2011, 02:26 PM
If you drop straight down from the Lady to AlpineMeadowsRoad, you end up very near the first part of the access road, right before the condos, for an easy 1.5 mile hike either direction...back to 89 to hitch, forwards to Alpine's phone booth. There's one cornice drop off that appears about 30', maybe good for the other guys, but I was only a relative novice to the game of cornice jumping or entry into Chute75 from the top.
That year, I did jump off the wooden ramp between Cornice and Headwall...straight East, the longest drop direction. And NO sitting down!

Kevin T
09-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Haha, near the snow is a relative term, because i have to drive 525 miles (8 hrs) to get there.

I hope you drive a comfy car. :)

Great news about Squaw/Alpine. Heard it on the local news today. Great to see they are honoring previously purchased season passes for both resorts. Now that my daughter is 3 1/2, it's time to start ski school (which means more time on the mountain for me). :)

GRANITECHIEF
09-29-2011, 10:00 AM
I hope you drive a comfy car. :)

Now that my daughter is 3 1/2, it's time to start ski school (which means more time on the mountain for me). :)

I do, Saturn Outlook, room for 8, heated leather seats, total land yacht.

My boy is 4 and he snowboards intermediates (Squaw intermediates) with me.

BTW, its starting:

FOR WED-THU...UPPER LOW DROPS OFF THE CENTRAL COAST BEFORE MOVING SLOWLY EASTWARD AND CLOSING OFF OVER CA-NV LATE NEXT WEEK. THE PREFERRED ECMWF BRINGS FRONT TO THE FAR NORTHERN SIERRA TUE NIGHT AND THEN SLIDES IT SLOWLY SOUTHEASTWARD WED/WED EVENING. SURFACE GRADIENT WILL INCREASE ONCE AGAIN WITH GUSTY WINDS DEVELOPING TUE NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY AHEAD OF FRONT. FAVORABLE JET AND FRONTAL DYNAMICS WILL COMBINE WITH PACIFIC MOISTURE FETCH TO PRODUCE
WIDESPREAD RAIN AND HIGH ELEVATION SNOW WITH MODEL QPF INDICATING OVER 2 INCHES OF QPF ALONG THE SIERRA CREST. DEEP MOIST AND UNSTABLE SOUNDINGS ALONG WITH STRONG FRONTAL FORCING LEND SUPPORT FOR SPILLOVER ALONG AND BEHIND SLOW MOVING COLD FRONT. MODEL QPF IS
GENERALLY INDICATING 0.50-1.00 INCHES IN WESTERN NV VALLEYS. SNOW LEVELS WILL INITIALLY BE QUITE HIGH ALTHOUGH FORCING AND LIFT MAY BE ENOUGH TO LOWER THEM CLOSE TO LAKE LEVEL AT TIMES. THERE MAY BE TRAVEL DELAYS OVER THE HIGHER PASSES AT SOME POINT WED-WED NIGHT.

Jeez, why they gotta shout!

r2473
09-29-2011, 10:14 AM
You have "the fever" as much as people around here.

Everyone is going to ski fitness classes now. Which doesn't seem to matter because all these people are still sore as hell the morning after their first day anyway.

I don't think anything can beat last year. Best year on record. Almost 800". The Bird was still open on July 4th and there was still snow when I was hiking up at Alta earlier this month. I think this is the first year the snow didn't fully melt.

BYU has this great 2 for 1 pass to Snowbird every year. It's the real deal. It can be used any day of the year (except over Christmas / New Year) and can be used on non-consecutive days. Best deal I know of.

Oh ya, the catch is, you have to buy them in person at BYU's ticket window. But, you can find them on Fbay or KSL classified (our local on-line classifieds) for ~$90 usually. Which is still pretty damn good. The BYU thing is weird even for locals. It isn't really advertised. You just have to know about it. I've called the ticket office in the past and the students answering the phone seem (or at least act) clueless. But, the day they go on sale, there are people that buy thousands of dollars worth to these things and sell them. There is no limit to how many you can buy (as far as I know) so they go really fast.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-201835.html

Kevin T
09-29-2011, 10:30 AM
I do, Saturn Outlook, room for 8, heated leather seats, total land yacht.

My boy is 4 and he snowboards intermediates (Squaw intermediates) with me.

BTW, its starting:

FOR WED-THU...UPPER LOW DROPS OFF THE CENTRAL COAST BEFORE MOVING SLOWLY EASTWARD AND CLOSING OFF OVER CA-NV LATE NEXT WEEK. THE PREFERRED ECMWF BRINGS FRONT TO THE FAR NORTHERN SIERRA TUE NIGHT AND THEN SLIDES IT SLOWLY SOUTHEASTWARD WED/WED EVENING. SURFACE GRADIENT WILL INCREASE ONCE AGAIN WITH GUSTY WINDS DEVELOPING TUE NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY AHEAD OF FRONT. FAVORABLE JET AND FRONTAL DYNAMICS WILL COMBINE WITH PACIFIC MOISTURE FETCH TO PRODUCE
WIDESPREAD RAIN AND HIGH ELEVATION SNOW WITH MODEL QPF INDICATING OVER 2 INCHES OF QPF ALONG THE SIERRA CREST. DEEP MOIST AND UNSTABLE SOUNDINGS ALONG WITH STRONG FRONTAL FORCING LEND SUPPORT FOR SPILLOVER ALONG AND BEHIND SLOW MOVING COLD FRONT. MODEL QPF IS
GENERALLY INDICATING 0.50-1.00 INCHES IN WESTERN NV VALLEYS. SNOW LEVELS WILL INITIALLY BE QUITE HIGH ALTHOUGH FORCING AND LIFT MAY BE ENOUGH TO LOWER THEM CLOSE TO LAKE LEVEL AT TIMES. THERE MAY BE TRAVEL DELAYS OVER THE HIGHER PASSES AT SOME POINT WED-WED NIGHT.

Jeez, why they gotta shout!

Nice, Granite. My bro-in-law has a GMC Acadia that we usually take up to Tahoe. I think I have an easier trip though, ~ 1 hr 10 minute flight from SD to Sac, then hop in the car with bro-in-law and father-in-law, then < 2 hrs to Sugar Bowl/Squaw/etc. Have fun this season!

N23
09-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Let's hope this season gives us as much snow as last year.

LeeD
09-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Personally, I think last year was basically too much snow.
All my friends with houses up around SodaSprings spent more days digging out than actually riding.
Once you get a nice 10' base, there is only need for 2' of powder during the nights, more is not better. Oh, skiers might need 4', if they ride old narrow skis, but my Ride169 is 62cm wide at the waist, and I get that pow feeling in 1' of freshies.
More of anything is NOT necessarily better.

r2473
09-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Personally, I think last year was basically too much snow.
All my friends with houses up around SodaSprings spent more days digging out than actually riding.
Once you get a nice 10' base, there is only need for 2' of powder during the nights, more is not better. Oh, skiers might need 4', if they ride old narrow skis, but my Ride169 is 62cm wide at the waist, and I get that pow feeling in 1' of freshies.
More of anything is NOT necessarily better.

Depends on the type of snow Lee.

And where are you finding these 10-foot (120") bases and 2-4 foot overnight powder dumps? I think we "only" average a 60"-80" base at Snowbird. Last year was ridiculous and it was over 100" most of the time. And 1-foot (basically up to your calf) is a pretty decent powder dump in my book. 2-feet (around your knees) is about all you ever really want. We can ski in snow up to our waist around here, which really is too much, even with the light "cotton powder" we get.

Alta/Snowbird area is the greatest natural ski snow making machine in the world. It really is amazing. The first time I witnessed it (10 years ago) I was blown away. I've never seen anything like it. The snow is "dry". If you've never seen snow like this before, you will be amazed. Heck, even on the other side of the mountain (so Deer Valley, Canyons, etc; Park City's resorts) it is not at all comparable to what happens in Little Cottonwood Canyon. Big Cottonwood is close (Solitude, Brighton, etc), but not the same. The type of snow is the same (or basically the same) but the 500" volume in Little Cottonwood is more than we get anywhere else in the area.

And as a guy that loves to ski and not party anymore, I'm really happy that most people still go to Colorado instead of Utah. Keeps my lines short.

Snowbird receive more than 500 inches (1270 cm) of snowfall per year, with a single storm capable of producing over 100 inches (254 cm) due to lake effect enhancement from the Great Salt Lake, making it the second greatest area of snowfall in the mainland United States (next to the Cascades). Unlike the humid and wet snow of the Cascades near the Pacific Ocean, arid Great Basin conditions produces very dry and powdery snow.

spaceman_spiff
09-30-2011, 12:50 AM
Could you guys send a little snow across the pond this winter? Last winter was a bit crap in January and parts of February in the Alps. 10 C (50 F) in St. Anton in the middle of January just isnt' right.

tenacitytennis
10-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Big Bear California has great slopes!

LeeD
10-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Lake Tahoe area had record snowfall, more than any year in the last 20. But I think '96 came close to matching, as all I seemed to do was shovel snow off our porch at SodaSprings.
Snowdrifts well over 25' were always present after Feb., and oftentimes piled well higher than second story A frames.
Utah and very little snow.

GRANITECHIEF
10-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Sorry, they are still shouting.

***THIS SYSTEM WILL BE ESPECIALLY HAZARDOUS FOR HIKERS AND OUTDOOR ENTHUSIASTS IN THE SIERRA NEVADA WHERE HEAVY SNOW, MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES AND STRONG WINDS WILL COMBINE FOR POTENTIALLY LIFE
THREATENING CONDITIONS FOR ANYONE UNPREPARED FOR WINTER WEATHER...PLEASE BE PREPARED OR POSTPONE TRAVEL INTO THE MOUNTAINS UNTIL THE STORM PASSES***

LATEST QPF STRONGLY SUGGESTS UP TO 2 FEET OF SNOW OVER THE HIGH COUNTRY AND SEVERAL INCHES TO OVER ONE FOOT OF SNOW DOWN TO THE 7000 FOOT LEVEL BEFORE THE STORM MOVES EAST ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

THE EAST ASIAN JET HAS TAPPED INTO AN ATMOSPHERIC
RIVER ORIGINATING FROM THE PHILIPPINES. THE JET ENHANCED CONVECTION E OF JAPAN WHILE THE TWO PHILIPPINE TYPHOONS WERE PRESENT. NOW THIS
TPW PLUME HAS CROSSED THE DATELINE AND WILL BECOME ENTRAINED INTO THE DEVELOPING GOA LOW.

LeeD
10-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Light warm rain right now in SanPablo Ca., and the first system has stalled and starting to split about 100 miles off the coast, but the 3rd system due on Wed might be a doozer.
Will be windsurfing if it gets windy enough (+17 mph).

r2473
10-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Lake Tahoe area had record snowfall, more than any year in the last 20. But I think '96 came close to matching, as all I seemed to do was shovel snow off our porch at SodaSprings.
Snowdrifts well over 25' were always present after Feb., and oftentimes piled well higher than second story A frames.
Utah and very little snow.

I'll be damned. Tahoe got 800" too and also averages around 500". Didn't know that area got that much snow.

How is the snow there? I've never skied there. Drove through there in February one year and the snow seemed pretty wet, but I wasn't at the resorts.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/lake-tahoe-ski-resort-snow-totals-20102011-100-avg-25402/

LeeD
10-03-2011, 01:23 PM
YOU guys have the best snow, light and powdery, dry and cold. Colorado is a close third with Idaho.
Tahoe except 3 days a season, get's wet, heavy, clumpy new snow. Average temps at Tahoe is only 28 or so, with very few days into the lower 20's while it's snowing. I does happen, and those days, I'm digging myself out of 8' piles because I can't resist tree boarding.
I have hit some 10 degree dry powder days with over 6' freshies, but first track runs can spend some serious digging time to get thru the "flats".
I've had 187 RossiHauteRoutes for my old powder skis, switched to some wider Head's of various experimental models around the mid '70's, got on Hexcel Sundance 195's for a decade, and now board freshies with a RideRocketReeve or an old 174 BurtonSupermodel.
Our dream boarding trip would be an Alaskan Heli Tour, or maybe Heli backcountry Colorado/Utah/Idaho.

Fed Kennedy
10-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Snowing at Squaw dudes

GRANITECHIEF
10-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Yes, Sierras getting snow. Very cool.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150246442842395.289064.94078717394&type=1

http://mammothsnowman.com/2011/10/05/mammoth-lakes-mammoth-mtn-snowfall/

r2473
10-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Snowing at Snowbird too (or will be soon). If anything accumulates, it should all melt by next week.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=slc&textField1=40.58194&textField2=-111.65444&zone=1

LeeD
10-05-2011, 01:12 PM
It's still too early.
I and most of my friends usually wait for a 10' base before going up the first day of the season. We all have rock skis, rock boards, and demos, but the riding isn't good anyways, so after 30 years on the snow, we can wait.
Waiting involves some surfing, lots of bike riding, either road or dirt, occasional windsurfing days, and regular tennis.
10' happens by early Jan. Christmas week is too early, and the yahoos are infesting the lift lines anyways. We get lots of semi solitary April days because the yahoo's go home looking for camping and BBQ's.
Alpine and Squaw tend to open thru most of May. Good terrain on those 2 hills.

GRANITECHIEF
10-05-2011, 01:30 PM
I wait till KT 22 is open. And yes, the waiting is fun too.

LeeD
10-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Since I haven't skied since '84, KT is a little too much for any of my snowboarding buds, so I don't get to ride there. And at my age, not too many of my buds can ski WestFace or Chute75 any mores.
Fortunately for me, I fell in with a bunch of older guys (well, over 30), who pioneered some solid bump boarding at Sierra and Alpine, so cruising the Face of Heavenly is challenging (without stopping, of course), but doable if I save the showboating for later.
I've actually never tried snowboarding WestFace, but usually go on freshie days to the top of 75, where the first drop in is about 20' of airtime. It's actually easier to handle big drops on a snowboard than it was for me to ski. Main diff is the board stay ON, you can use your hands to slide and push off on, and the initial landing can be less impact, albeit less edge and slower decelleration.
Now at 62, maybe give me the Saddle....:)

Fed Kennedy
10-05-2011, 01:54 PM
I wait till KT 22 is open. And yes, the waiting is fun too.
Never leave the Mothership.

LeeD
10-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Oh yea, MtBaldy.....
Sometime around the late '90's, I dropped into SouthBowl solo, right toeside traversed to the S side, and caused a 10 minute avalanche behind me. I just hunkered down and waited till the clouds of snow subsided, and the bowl down was full of 3' diameter ice chunks surrounded by broken snow. That following right traverse, backside for this goofy guy, seemed to take forever, easily an hour, to bounce/skidd/crunch around the corner to the adjoining chair lift. Lift op there said I was the first to come from that side that day, as the day before, someone died in an avalanche there.
Whew.

r2473
10-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Sometime around the late '90's, I dropped into SouthBowl solo, right toeside traversed to the S side, and caused a 10 minute avalanche behind me. Lift op there said I was the first to come from that side that day, as the day before, someone died in an avalanche there.

If I had seen you, I would have gone over and kicked your *** until you were praying for death.

Lee, causing avalanches ain't cool. If you're going to ski / hike / whatever in these types of areas, know your ***** first.

Search and rescue is tired of risking their lives saving dumb*****s like you. And the rest of us are tired of paying for it.

If you don't know what you're doing, stay the f*ck out.

LeeD
10-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Actually, if you had seen me AFTER I caused the avalanche, you would have been sympathetic, as a simple traverse across an OPEN run caused the rift that started the avalanche, nothing anyone could do about it. The ski patrol was about 50' above the entry to the open run, and only asked if I knew how to snowboard. Never saw him after the avalanche, as he must have seen me all the way across the bowl, safe and high above the rift.
However, if you saw me from the bottom, you would certainly have the right to try to take me out, as I DID start the whole mess.
Try, but I don't think you'd have much chance. Many have tried, including years of high school football and more years than I can count surfing big waves, racing motocross, water ski jumping, snowboarding off cliffs, or road racing on GP bikes.
You've seen my vid hitting serves. A sprained ankle that won't let me run, and I'm still out on the courts. More bravado than common nonsense...:):)

r2473
10-05-2011, 07:09 PM
So they are so reckless in that park that somebody died the day before (in the park, on a run that was open). And the very next day, the run is still open and the very first person down the run (you) triggers a 10 min. avalanche?

They must be really fing stupid there........or your story is completly made up.

LeeD
10-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Not sure where you get "park" from.
The run is the SouthBowl at MtBaldy, a normal run when there is at least 4' of snow on the mountain. This is SanBernadino, LA, like LosAngeles.
You access it by chair to the top right, then ride down halfway and the entrance says "..SouthBowl Open, with one black diamond on the sign. Sounds easy to me.
You seem very brave internet, but I think you are a lamb in real life.

LeeD
10-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Oh, "park" as in MtBaldy.
Not made up, don't need to make up such a nothing story. Nothing happened, except I took a long bumpy traverse on icy, rock hard snow that just slid.

r2473
10-05-2011, 07:23 PM
"Park" means in the resort. As opposed to back country or out of bounds, etc.

Look, its pretty rare that there's an avalanche "in the park". Most avalanche control teams are pretty good at what they do and most parks are very cautious. If there's any question, the area is closed. But an avalanche two days in a row. In the exact same area. Somebody actually died. Your avalanche lasted for 10 minutes.

Whatever. Sounds good to me.

Laver43
10-08-2011, 02:16 PM
I figured you guys would know best. Which ski resorts in North America have indoor tennis courts nearby? Facilities with a number of courts and junior training program is preferred, but if you know of any resorts with even one or two indoor courts nearby, please list them here!

r2473
10-09-2011, 11:59 AM
I figured you guys would know best. Which ski resorts in North America have indoor tennis courts nearby? Facilities with a number of courts and junior training program is preferred, but if you know of any resorts with even one or two indoor courts nearby, please list them here!

How "nearby" are you talking? Actually at the ski resort?

We don't have that in Salt Lake / Park City. Few people on vacation staying at the resort want to top off a day of skiing with a few hours of singles.

dParis
10-09-2011, 12:35 PM
How "nearby" are you talking? Actually at the ski resort?

We don't have that in Salt Lake / Park City. Few people on vacation staying at the resort want to top off a day of skiing with a few hours of singles.
r2, are you familiar with CCC and their winter set-up? Probably going to visit good friends, who just relo'd to CwH, for skiing this winter. They joined a club w/ bubbled courts - I think it's the CCC. When it gets closer to our visit, and I know which resort we'll be skiing at, I'll need to hit you up for some inside info regarding the local favorite eat & drink destinations. Maybe you can suggest a good Chinese restaurant. Somewhere west of Manhattan, preferably.:wink:

r2473
10-09-2011, 02:17 PM
CCC is in CwH. I live just a few miles from there, but I've only played there once for a tournament. I'm pretty sure it is a bubble setup in the winter, but I'll ask my coworker who's husband plays there twice a week or more.

I'm sure we can find you eats that will hit the spot after a day of skiing.

Laver43
10-10-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm thinking within 30 miles.

What do CCC and CwH stand for?

LeeD
10-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Not sure why some people have to be "experts" at every subject.
I only posted my experience, and doubter's always seem to appear.
I lived thru being shot at from the backseat of my car twice. Been stabbed twice also, by the guy in the backseat of my taxi..:):)
Fell off RonGrant's Suzuki RG-500 at about 100, at Talledega (managed to shift down to 4th before the front end wobble spit me of).
Broke my frame at both the rear chain stay pivot and the front end, at Sear'sPoint, on my KX-500, landing a dropoff, frame just separated in 3 pieces while I was going maybe 30 mph.
Got sideways and Tboned by 9th thru 13th place riders at CarnegiePark, CMC Novice 250, causing a 4 person broken bone extravaganza my first MX race.
Stood frozen in shock while a guy next to me dropped his full auto FN-FAL when the auto sear stuck, emptying a 30 round magazine, rounds firing in 360 degrees, musta missed me by less than foot, rifle pivoting full circle on the ground (PrescottArizona).
Stuff happens, and you either live to tell the story, or you don't.

r2473
10-11-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm thinking within 30 miles.

You can ski Park City / Deer Valley and go to the Park City Racquet club. I've never played there, but I imagine it's pretty good. It's being renovated. Not sure what the indoor tennis situation is actually.

http://www.parkcity.org/index.aspx?page=206

My choice would be skiing Alta / Snowbird and going to The Sports Mall if you want the club atmosphere, junior programs, etc. You will need to get some sort of membership and its fairly pricey IMO for what you get.

http://www.sportsmallgroup.com/

I play at the University of Utah in the winter. 8 great indoor courts. You can reserve up to a week in advance. Open to the public. Rates are more than reasonable, even for the public. No membership required (unlike the Sports Mall, Cottonwood Country Club, Salt Lake Racquet and Swimming Club, Eaglewood Country Club, etc).

GRANITECHIEF
10-12-2011, 01:59 PM
I played 40's indoor nats at Park City. Very cool facility, fast conditions with the altitude. I saw the renderings for the remodeling they are doing and it is going to be amazing, top shelf stuff.

Got a powder day at snowbird the first day i was out of the tourney. Have to try that one again, can't go wrong!

bad_call
10-12-2011, 03:04 PM
^ took a pounding at Snowbird late in the season one year. one steep trail had bumps big as vw bug which were hard and icy. prefer CO since the elevation and trail location at a few spots keep it semi soft.

LeeD
10-12-2011, 03:16 PM
You can encounter bad conditions anywhere you ski, at any time of the year. It's a crapshoot, you don't find fresh dry powder all the time.
No location has the best conditions all the time.
While the Sierras around Tahoe tend to be wet and clumpy, there are days of dry Utah snow if you hang around long enough.
Conversely, if you go to Utah to ski for 3 days, don't even think you're gonna hit that classic dry deep fluff every day.

r2473
10-12-2011, 03:58 PM
^^ Us snobbish locals only ski on powder days.

bad_call
10-12-2011, 04:53 PM
You can encounter bad conditions anywhere you ski, at any time of the year. It's a crapshoot, you don't find fresh dry powder all the time.
No location has the best conditions all the time.
While the Sierras around Tahoe tend to be wet and clumpy, there are days of dry Utah snow if you hang around long enough.
Conversely, if you go to Utah to ski for 3 days, don't even think you're gonna hit that classic dry deep fluff every day.

of course but trails facing north don't melt during sunny days and refreeze at night like those facing east and west. if one wants a great ski trip, suggest doing the homework.

LeeD
10-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Always a puzzle to solve when travelling for snow, or surf, or whatever....
You locate and find the "best" snow and stay there?
You locate and find the "best" snow, do a few runs, then go exploring the whole resort to see what else it has to offer?
Is it worth the effort to tolerate "average" runs in order to find that ONE special run with your "perfect" conditions?
Do you like variety or do you only one to tune into that "perfect" experience?
Me, I go to Mammoth to experience the whole shebang, from the parallel halfpipes to the gondola to the 6 person chair that drops you off in a barn above a narrow exposed ridge, to a 14 full speed tabletop run, to skitter along the trail at the top of Dave's, and then down into the trees for some slalom action.
Just like when I go to Oahu, I always look forward to Pipe, but I also surf Sunset, Wiamea (if I bring appropriate boards), Jockos, and 7th Hole.
Some variety is, to me, the spice of life.

bad_call
10-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Always a puzzle to solve when travelling for snow, or surf, or whatever....
You locate and find the "best" snow and stay there?
You locate and find the "best" snow, do a few runs, then go exploring the whole resort to see what else it has to offer?
Is it worth the effort to tolerate "average" runs in order to find that ONE special run with your "perfect" conditions?
Do you like variety or do you only one to tune into that "perfect" experience?
Me, I go to Mammoth to experience the whole shebang, from the parallel halfpipes to the gondola to the 6 person chair that drops you off in a barn above a narrow exposed ridge, to a 14 full speed tabletop run, to skitter along the trail at the top of Dave's, and then down into the trees for some slalom action.
Just like when I go to Oahu, I always look forward to Pipe, but I also surf Sunset, Wiamea (if I bring appropriate boards), Jockos, and 7th Hole.
Some variety is, to me, the spice of life.

not one to seek the "best of the best of the best" snow. :lol: however if i'm going to spend the money and take the time then i'll do the homework to up the odds for exhilaration. do whatever u like.

LeeD
10-12-2011, 06:54 PM
"Exhilaration".
Just what is that?
Do we get it bouncing down steep mogul runs just above our level, make it soundly, and live to tell the story?
Do we get it pushing ourselves beyond our limits on the halfpipe, going for pro level air off the sides and spins we can imagine but never make?
Do we get it in bottomless pow, the dry stuff that floats past our goggles and leaves a streamer 40' behind us?
Do we get it on that horrid icy day when we're at the top, the wind is howling, everyone is taking their skis off to sit down and scooterpie down the easy trail, while we plunge right into the boilerplate and actually EDGE with control and aplomb?
What about that perfect, windless, sunny day, when we're on top of our game, S/O is there with you and on it, and you feel the whole mountain is there only for you beck and call?
Ever trudge along some unknown trail heading for a new run and VOILE', a really cool untouched section appears ahead of you, and it's the Cat's Meow!
Just what is it?

Laver43
10-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks r2473!

r2473
11-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Oh yea, MtBaldy.....
Sometime around the late '90's, I dropped into SouthBowl solo, right toeside traversed to the S side, and caused a 10 minute avalanche behind me. I just hunkered down and waited till the clouds of snow subsided, and the bowl down was full of 3' diameter ice chunks surrounded by broken snow. That following right traverse, backside for this goofy guy, seemed to take forever, easily an hour, to bounce/skidd/crunch around the corner to the adjoining chair lift. Lift op there said I was the first to come from that side that day, as the day before, someone died in an avalanche there.
Whew.

This is what I was getting at LeeD.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=960&sid=18073250

Not only do you endanger yourself, but anyone around you on the mountain. Then you endanger the ski patrol and search & rescue because they have to risk their own asses to save your stupid ***. Then there is the monetary cost of it all.

And clearly, no matter how great of a skier you are, it really doesn't matter. If you are messing around in avalanche conditions and get caught, nothing is going to save you.

Your story is still pretty bizarre as you claim that it happened within the park while it was open for business, but I sitll wanted to post this just to remind everyone of the extreme danger and extreme selfishness of doing something this stupid.

LeeD
11-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Dude, you're off the planet here...
Do you honestly think I knew there was going to be an avalanche?
Do you think I knew the run HAD a fatality the day before?
Fact is, run had a white sign with black lettering that said OPEN. Fact is, ski patrol was standing around maybe a hundred feet above the entrance to the S bowl. Fact is, I hesistated for maybe 3 minutes before dropping into the bowl, because nobody was riding it.
If YOU were standing there, late in the season with little fun runs to be had....MtBaldy is not the most challenging, as I"ve skied Squaw over 400 days alone....you'd drop in too, and probably cause the same avalanche.

GRANITECHIEF
12-14-2011, 09:29 AM
This is getting a little rediculous, I mean come on its mid December already.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/kt22_12-14-2011.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/base_headwall_12-13-2011.jpg

Kevin T
12-14-2011, 10:06 AM
This is getting a little rediculous, I mean come on its mid December already.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/kt22_12-14-2011.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/base_headwall_12-13-2011.jpg

Yep, a bummer. We usually go skiing at Squaw or Sugar Bowl the day after Christmas for my Dad-in-law's bday. Not looking promising this year.

LeeD
12-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Not much coming for another week, then maybe just as the Christmas vacation comes into play, we'll get some rain and some storms.
I usually wait till late Jan anyways, my rock skis are all chewed up.
Don't care much for Christmas skiing, as the crowds are huge and I get time off more in Feb thru April.

GRANITECHIEF
12-14-2011, 03:01 PM
But at the same time, the lack of storms isn't doing much for the surf either.

I guess that just means more tennis, kitesurfing and mtn biking.

LeeD
12-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Around here, the surf got killed by the seawall in the middle of OceanBeachSF. It traps megatons of sand, so the sand doesn't get distributed to other parts of the beach to create sandbars and channels. Most of OBSF is basically a closeout the last couple of years. When the seawall fills with sand, it get's trucked away to somewhere, but it's not put back on the beach like before the seawall was created.
Size is just fine, most days in the 3-5 range, but that sizing can be all "tweeners", too much for the shorepound to hold, and too little for the outside bars to show. Winds offshore 6 days a week, offshore, head high sets, closed out.

TahoeTennis
12-16-2011, 09:26 AM
For no natural snow, Heavenly is fantastic! All manmade, but I believe they have the largest snow making in the country, and the runs that are open are superb! Snowboarding in the morning, then tennis in the afternoon...life is good!

Kevin T
12-16-2011, 10:34 AM
For no natural snow, Heavenly is fantastic! All manmade, but I believe they have the largest snow making in the country, and the runs that are open are superb! Snowboarding in the morning, then tennis in the afternoon...life is good!

Thanks for the info. Have you been to any of the north lake resorts this year? Also, where do you play tennis indoors at Tahoe?

TahoeTennis
12-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the info. Have you been to any of the north lake resorts this year? Also, where do you play tennis indoors at Tahoe?

Was at Northstar, and Heavenly has way more runs open and better snow. Alas there is only one indoor court in Tahoe, at the Ridge Tahoe, but there are still 2 nets up at Zephyr Cove, my home neighborhood courts.

GRANITECHIEF
12-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Tahoe Tennis, we should hit if I end up coming up as planned. But for now, I've taped a pair of old skis into a cross and lit them on fire while chanting, sold my tire chains on craigslist, washed/waxed my car every other day, posted on the mammoth forum that winter is cancelled for this season and that it will never snow again, especially between Christmas and New Years.

Why would you need an indoor court if there is no snow?

r2473
12-29-2011, 08:11 AM
This happened at a local resort recently. It never looks good to drop the f-bomb on tape, but knowing what really goes on at these resorts, I find myself siding with the ski patrol in principle. This is pretty low on the mountain (I believe) where lots of novice skier / kids are. There are plenty of places to race around higher up where it is only advanced skiers.

But, when this type of thing is caught on tape, the enforcer will always look like the bad guy.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=18661556

r2473
12-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Tahoe Tennis, we should hit if I end up coming up as planned. But for now, I've taped a pair of old skis into a cross and lit them on fire while chanting, sold my tire chains on craigslist, washed/waxed my car every other day, posted on the mammoth forum that winter is cancelled for this season and that it will never snow again, especially between Christmas and New Years.

That fine Granite, but we don't want you California types coming to Utah for skiing :)

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=18668050

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYY2FQHFwE

I like Kris' version better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgpjLkiwK08

dParis
12-29-2011, 01:11 PM
This happened at a local resort recently. It never looks good to drop the f-bomb on tape, but knowing what really goes on at these resorts, I find myself siding with the ski patrol in principle. This is pretty low on the mountain (I believe) where lots of novice skier / kids are. There are plenty of places to race around higher up where it is only advanced skiers.

But, when this type of thing is caught on tape, the enforcer will always look like the bad guy.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=18661556
"You're harassing us because we're yun-gh!" I want to hire this kid to go around and annoy people I don't like.

That said, it is obvious that the old guy in red is sexually repressed and/or impotent.

TahoeTennis
12-30-2011, 03:01 PM

sounds great, still coming up to tahoe?
when and where?

GRANITECHIEF
12-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Oh man, i'll be coming up when KT22 starts spinning and not a day before.

I figured a staycation would do the trick here at home and its turned out well, lots of tennis, waves, biking, etc.

Looks like a pattern change around mid month, hopefully i'll get up there at least sometime in January.

Happy New Year to all!!

GRANITECHIEF
01-13-2012, 08:18 AM
http://tahoeweatherdiscussion.com/the-majority

bad_call
01-13-2012, 09:18 AM
http://tahoeweatherdiscussion.com/the-majority

better news for at least some spots out west.

GRANITECHIEF
01-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Long range forecast / discussion...January 20 to 23

--We expect to see a ridge of high pressure across western Alaska, with an undercutting jet stream and long fetch of Pacific moisture pushing into the Sierra Nevada (the fire-hose as some have called it). When this happens late next week and weekend, we expect to see wet Pacific storms slamming into the Sierra Nevada with close-call snow levels (relatively mild air due to the source region off the milder mid Pacific Ocean waters), for 2 days (Thursday 19th through Friday the 20th). This wetter scenario is expected to help balance out the dry patterns we have seen so far this winter. This could set up a very good base of heavy dense snow pack and a lot of water (what we wanted to see in November and December). The 2 days of wet snow and 7,000+ to 8,000+ foot snow levels should be followed by 2 days (Sat/ Sun~21-22 Jan) of colder and less dense, but still heavy snowfall, again possibly multiple feet (will need to watch). It is still possible that the arctic push/ front and storm track end up a bit further south or north, in which case we will have to adjust snow levels and snowfall, but either way, BIG SNOW is expected to come. It is looking like the Pacific storm train could continue almost relentlessly through all but the last couple days of January, with continued significant snows. Tahoe will look like a whole different place (one you want to be in) really quick.

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/?action=view&current=MVI_0929.mp4

GRANITECHIEF
01-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Pretty good storm series, went from Mtn Biking/Golf/Tennis last thursday to this:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/Sibo_1-24-12.jpg

But will the mothership launch for this weekend? That is the question~!

LeeD
01-24-2012, 12:50 PM
3' of wet snow with a foot of dry atop doesn't come close to opening anything on KT except Saddle bunny runs. Lower mountain still closed, as is anything more than one way down Cornice. Upper mountain open, but rock skis advised.

spaceman_spiff
01-25-2012, 01:35 AM
You all should grab a flight to Europe. The snow is lovely in the Alps.

Just fly to Zurich and hop on the train to St. Anton. Conditions are great.

GRANITECHIEF
01-26-2012, 10:19 AM
3' of wet snow with a foot of dry atop doesn't come close to opening anything on KT except Saddle bunny runs. Lower mountain still closed, as is anything more than one way down Cornice. Upper mountain open, but rock skis advised.

KT opened yesterday and all lower mountain lifts, except Squaw One, are open. Still needs 3 more feet to get good and nothing in site for at least 2 weeks. Booo!

LeeD
01-26-2012, 04:27 PM
You are really ON it.
I just read KT opened yesterday, but they mean the Saddle, not WFace, Chute, EBowl, or the Nose.
The only run off Exhibition is one windy trail down.
RedDog only has the cat trail open, not the steep semi traverse.
Oly is actually closed till possibly the weekend.
There IS enough snow at Cornice, but heading down to MountainRun, rocks force you to stay on the cattrack.
Rock skis, stay on the trails, and another 2 dump wait.
But I diid predict an increase in WNW swell activity. Currently, OBSF is about a true double overhead, and all spots in SantaCruz just overhead from the Hook to second reef at the Lane.

GRANITECHIEF
02-13-2012, 02:52 PM
This morning at Mammoth. Looks pretty OK. I'll finally hit it this weekend.

http://youtu.be/GI6_8gSqZro

http://mammothsnowman.com/

r2473
02-21-2012, 09:27 AM
How pathetic is this year's ski season you ask? Yesterday, a condo at "Cliff Club" at Snowbird sold on E-bay for $262 for the week of Feb. 25- March. 3. Shelf price on this is ~$3,500.

I would have bought this myself and just used it as a party room next week, but the wife is busy and we are heading out to Palm Springs on March 2. Would have been more of a hassle than it was worth.

Punch item number 140703106069 into E-bay search:

Hitman99
02-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Just returned from a week skiing at Snowmass, CO. They had over a foot of new snow the week before we arrived, another 10" or so while we were there. Base at SNowmass is over 56", about the same as Aspen Highlands. Aspen Mt. and Buttermilk/Tiehack are not so good, only about a 35" base.

GRANITECHIEF
02-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Got my first runs of the season in last weekend at Squaw. i was all over the place off the groomers, blasting KT runs down GS Bowl, Chute 75, West Face, Oly Lady (sweet stash of 1ft deep pow), riding Headwall too. But it was pretty technical; icy in lots of spots, lots of rocks/trees and narrower runs. I had a super fun time, but got in precarious positions a couple times too. There's not a lot of people that i would've taken with me to some of those spots.
Wont go again until there is at least 1 more foot of snow.

GRANITECHIEF
02-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Looks like Sierra's getting close to a foot today and another shot on Wednesday. Might be a good weekend at Squaw!

Hitman99
02-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Looks like Sierra's getting close to a foot today and another shot on Wednesday. Might be a good weekend at Squaw!

Sierra Cement, or powder?

LeeD
02-27-2012, 12:38 PM
This next 3 days should be real cold, it's a cold storm, so real 5" of powder.
However, looks like by the weekend, it's gonna warm up to springlike weather, so early Sat is the only chance to escape cement for a short venture into shallow powder.
I've been up at Tahoe when it's slush and snowmelt, only to encounter almost chain conditions (28 degree squalls and 9" snow on Highway80) at the Carquinez Bridge, about 20 miles from SanFrancisco.

GRANITECHIEF
02-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Thursday will be the best day, ratios are 15:1 ish for snow:water, which is light very cold snow. Friday and the weekend will warm up a bit, so the wintery pow won't be fresh, but conditions should be better than when i was out on prez day weekend.

Cool Squaw Blog here:

http://unofficialnetworks.com/squaw-conditions-report-22712-white-smoke-blue-ice-79149/

GRANITECHIEF
02-29-2012, 08:54 AM
;)

A Winter Storm Warning For Heavy Snow Remains In Effect Until Noon Pst Thursday.

* Timing: Heavy Snow Will Continue Through Noon Wednesday...
Followed By Snow Showers...heavy At Times...continuing Into
Thursday Afternoon.

* Total Snow Accumulations: 2 To 4 Feet Of Snow Above 7000 Feet
With 12 To 30 Inches Below 7000 Feet. The Highest Snow Amounts
Will Be Along And West Of Highway 89

agalloch
03-01-2012, 01:02 PM
;)

A Winter Storm Warning For Heavy Snow Remains In Effect Until Noon Pst Thursday.

* Timing: Heavy Snow Will Continue Through Noon Wednesday...
Followed By Snow Showers...heavy At Times...continuing Into
Thursday Afternoon.

* Total Snow Accumulations: 2 To 4 Feet Of Snow Above 7000 Feet
With 12 To 30 Inches Below 7000 Feet. The Highest Snow Amounts
Will Be Along And West Of Highway 89

tahoe has some marginal years but they always get big dumps when it does
last year my friend had a massive snow skate park in his back yard
so much snow , 1 of the biggest seasons in history.....

LeeD
03-01-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm in California, usually snowboard about 20 days a year, since '93.
This year, haven't thought about going up yet. I need about 8' of base, for my favorite runs to open. I can afford to be a snob because I also play tennis, windsurf, surf, and ride road bikes.
I have 6 snowboards.

agalloch
03-01-2012, 02:12 PM
last year palisades @ squaw was a bunny slope, have had my pass taken away for a week for airing out the main shute on it, stuck it twice, easy land , only 30 feet vertical...

LeeD
03-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Try it this year.
Best inbounds drop might be DonnerSkiRanch, right under the lift that goes to the top. It's about a 60'er. And it drops into the top of a bunny slope and the medics shack.

GRANITECHIEF
03-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Squaw reporting 51" storm total at 7000 feet, not including a few more inches today. Wow! That will be a huge transformation from prez day weekend. Heading up tomorrow after work, wooot wooot!

GRANITECHIEF
03-01-2012, 03:02 PM
last year palisades @ squaw was a bunny slope, have had my pass taken away for a week for airing out the main shute on it, stuck it twice, easy land , only 30 feet vertical...

Its legal to go down main with as much air as you want as long as its not marked closed. Did you poach it?

agalloch
03-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Its legal to go down main with as much air as you want as long as its not marked closed. Did you poach it?

this was back in the 90,s
just going off what the photos and videos were of last year from tgr forums
plus i still have friends living in tahoe....
havent done the ski bum thing in years, over the cold......
biggest drop ever was a 60 footer @ big mountain, montana
i,d like to spend a winter not working and just skiing at la grave, france....or chamonix

LeeD
03-01-2012, 03:36 PM
I've heard Chamonix is way overrated. It's more a destination town with a few lifts that take you out of town to ski in surrounding mountains at other towns. They say Val de Azere (boy, I can't find my T shirt, and can't spell either) is a much better town to base out of. Long boards and ski's, lots of semi steeps, big mountains. Why can't you go? Just bail on committments, like any 18 year old would do.

agalloch
03-01-2012, 03:51 PM
I've heard Chamonix is way overrated. It's more a destination town with a few lifts that take you out of town to ski in surrounding mountains at other towns. They say Val de Azere (boy, I can't find my T shirt, and can't spell either) is a much better town to base out of. Long boards and ski's, lots of semi steeps, big mountains. Why can't you go? Just bail on committments, like any 18 year old would do.

yes Tignes, Val d'Isere, and Les Arcs seem to be the real skiers hot spots

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/171652-Best-skiing-in-France

saving up the $ to do it right is the only problem, have a passport good for another 6 years.....living in san diego is kinda pricey....

LeeD
03-01-2012, 06:38 PM
A good boarding bud went there way back in time. He took a pair of 210 skis and one Tanker195 snowboard, and said for most of the runs he liked, could have gone longer. I think the t-shirt he game me is in the laundry, hence the poor spelling of Val. It's black with dark gray lettering.
He runs the backside of Heavenly from top to bottom without stopping, and compared that to half a run in most of Val. About 5 miles.

mhj202
03-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Squaw reporting 51" storm total at 7000 feet, not including a few more inches today. Wow! That will be a huge transformation from prez day weekend. Heading up tomorrow after work, wooot wooot!

GraniteChief-

Hope you have a great weekend up at SV. Just got back from SV myself-- nonstop snow the entire time. Early in the week the conditions were challenging with the variable conditions (the heavy Tahoe powder layer on top of the existing ice) but improved quickly.

Weds was a real tough day though because of the crazy winds-- 100 mph gusts on the top.

How long have you been a SV guy?

LeeD
03-03-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm not a SV guy, but have spent over 150 days skiing there, and 3 boarding.

mhj202
03-03-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm not a SV guy, but have spent over 150 days skiing there, and 3 boarding.

Lee-

With over 150 days at Squaw, I would say you definitely are a Squaw guy.

What do you think of the relatively recent addition of Alpine?

I really like the updates to the village at squaw and think that, despite the lack of snow this year (until now), the place is really catching up with the 21st century.

LeeD
03-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Well, most of my Squaw days were in the late '60's and mid '70's, when I had shop emp discount tickets. In the last 30 years, maybe 3 days total there.
We poached over to Alpine from the top of Saddle in the late '60's, and got on the lift there no problem as the two tickets were similar collor and design, for two runs.
As a snowboarder since the early '90's, I had VIP passes for NorthStar/Sierra, so was used to the NorthStar Village.
Sugar used to make you gondola over and then basically walk past it's village in the old days before the 2 new lifts.
In my head, I'm still stuck in the 19th Century.

mhj202
03-04-2012, 10:20 AM
We poached over to Alpine from the top of Saddle in the late '60's, and got on the lift there no problem as the two tickets were similar collor and design, for two runs.

In my head, I'm still stuck in the 19th Century.

You're actually well ahead of your time.

There is a real effort and desire to combine SV and AM but the small piece of land between the two is owned by a local landowner who, as of yet, has not signed on to the plan.

Now that SV and AM are owned by one company, they at least use the same lift ticket!

GRANITECHIEF
03-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Really fun weekend. Sat morning was still really soft cut up powder. But then the sun started beaming which affected the snow surface quality. Still rediculously shredable even in a Tshirt.

GraniteChief-

Hope you have a great weekend up at SV. Just got back from SV myself-- nonstop snow the entire time. Early in the week the conditions were challenging with the variable conditions (the heavy Tahoe powder layer on top of the existing ice) but improved quickly.

Weds was a real tough day though because of the crazy winds-- 100 mph gusts on the top.

How long have you been a SV guy?

First year was 96/97, the year of 6ft snow in 3 days, followed by 20 inches of tropical express rain and the big Truckee River Flood. Had a season pass all but 1 season since. Can't get enough KT, Headwall, and of course Granite Chief~!

LeeD
03-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Great you got some of it. Turned warm by FridayPM.
Best run off GraniteChief, go straight N off the chair, drop in above Shirley, seeing Shirley (looking DOWN) most of the way, turn left and tuck behind into the backside coming out at Solitude.

GRANITECHIEF
03-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Ya really fun even with the warmth. Friday=winter, Saturday=spring, Sunday=early summer, 3 seasons in 3 days!

My favorite run off Granite is the direct chute, which is right at the very top. I do a sissy drop into it here at about 30 seconds:

http://youtu.be/3xMa6yEraSI

Hopefully hit it again weekend of Indian Wells finals.

PS, just noticed this cool vid, totally dig the fingers:

http://youtu.be/f_EpcMrnMWQ

LeeD
03-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Good stuff!!
Makes me want to wait for the next strorm, but seems spring is almost upon us.
Don't know much myself, thought you would be a skier.

mhj202
03-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Ya really fun even with the warmth. Friday=winter, Saturday=spring, Sunday=early summer, 3 seasons in 3 days!

My favorite run off Granite is the direct chute, which is right at the very top. I do a sissy drop into it here at about 30 seconds:

http://youtu.be/3xMa6yEraSI

Hopefully hit it again weekend of Indian Wells finals.

PS, just noticed this cool vid, totally dig the fingers:

http://youtu.be/f_EpcMrnMWQ

This is probably a hard question to answer given the weather this winter but how do you feel about the new ownership of sv and the changes/improvements they've been making?

GRANITECHIEF
03-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Good stuff!!
Makes me want to wait for the next strorm, but seems spring is almost upon us.
Don't know much myself, thought you would be a skier.

I'm not thinking spring quite yet. EMCF model has 3-4 ft forecast starting a week from tomorrow. So be ready!

I still ski occasionally, often at night, but nothing feels like arcing a turn on a board.

GRANITECHIEF
03-07-2012, 02:56 PM
This is probably a hard question to answer given the weather this winter but how do you feel about the new ownership of sv and the changes/improvements they've been making?

All thumbs up. Great remodeling of the facilities, getting rid of the old ticket portals and redoing the KT sundeck. I also hear that Granite Chief will be a detachable quad next season. They are winning environmental awards, just put in a ski in/ski out Starbucks, acquired/merged with Alpine Meadows, etc. Top shelf management these days. Props to Andy Wirth, Mike Lavaque and Tom Murphy.

This is worth a look when you have time to watch a nearly feature length movie about Squaw and some of its more famous locals. GNAR!!

http://unofficialnetworks.com/gnar/

LeeD
03-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Wow, kudos to you for sure.
I did the same trail, skied for couple hundred (double that) days and then stopped for 10 years before going to snowboarding that feels similar to surfing.
Weather calls for possible showers beginning of next week or end of the weekend, but I don''t know, seems NW is coming right after the storms, meaning the storms get shorter in time and pushed E really quickly.
You surf, you know the drought years bring an early windy spring.
But I'm game for a couple days in late season, maybe break out my better boards rather than use my park/pipe screw around shorties (153/157's).

Fed Kennedy
03-07-2012, 03:03 PM
I have been a squaw passholder since the early 90s. It is amazing how much they have improved the overall experience. I dont even care about the alpine merger though. I dont even care about the upper mtn. I never leave the mothership. (kt-22).

GRANITECHIEF
03-07-2012, 03:07 PM
I have been a squaw passholder since the early 90s. It is amazing how much they have improved the overall experience. I dont even care about the alpine merger though. I dont even care about the upper mtn. I never leave the mothership. (kt-22).

I'm with you, tough to leave KT. But watching GNAR really emphasizes the diversity of Squaw. So many GRARly lines, even off the mother ship.

LeeD
03-07-2012, 03:09 PM
That's some hardcore riding.
Only at KT?
I dont' think I know ONE guy who only skis (well, that was pre '76) KT, as most would look over at Oly, up to the Slot, Sunbowl, Horsetrails, Backside off GraniteChief, RedDog, or down thru Desolation to the N parking (before the lift was installed).
We all agree KT is king, but even Alpine has some steeps. Much shorter, for sure, but steeps.

Fed Kennedy
03-07-2012, 03:12 PM
I go to shirley to take runs with my mom and my gf

GRANITECHIEF
03-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Your mom and gf are both named Shirley and like to run, cool.

Fed Kennedy
03-07-2012, 03:48 PM
All thumbs up. Great remodeling of the facilities, getting rid of the old ticket portals and redoing the KT sundeck. I also hear that Granite Chief will be a detachable quad next season. They are winning environmental awards, just put in a ski in/ski out Starbucks, acquired/merged with Alpine Meadows, etc. Top shelf management these days. Props to Andy Wirth, Mike Lavaque and Tom Murphy.

This is worth a look when you have time to watch a nearly feature length movie about Squaw and some of its more famous locals. GNAR!!

http://unofficialnetworks.com/gnar/

Those guys are so rad. When I was a kid I rode up GC with mcconkey and asked him where I should go to college. He said: I liked college but it got in the way of my skiing.
Then he skated right off the lift and did a heli off the cornice.
When he died it was such a loss for skiing. It would be like if Fed died.

GRANITECHIEF
03-09-2012, 09:29 AM
^^Tru dat. Always have a sense of reverence when i see the bronze eagle at the top of the nest.

On a lighter note:

Then the next storm moves in around Wednesday night. This one looks like it could push the jet stream further South and the heavier precip could push into the Tahoe basin. This one has the potential to bring snow in feet.

It looks like another storm could move in coming further South the weekend of the 17th. Up along the crest it could snow most of next week although it would be light in between the two systems. The storms should progressively have more success bringing in heavier precip throughout the week. Over the next ten days several feet are definitely possible especially along the crest. Of note is that the snow levels could come up to 7000 ft. briefly with the Thursday system

GRANITECHIEF
03-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Saturday was amazing at Squaw:

http://vimeo.com/38758125

Yesterday looks like it was a fun day too:

http://youtu.be/8fACXCHf8w4
http://vimeo.com/38839705

r2473
03-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Lots of people called in sick around here yesterday. Snowbird reported 36" of new snowfall in a 48 hour period.

Temperature is supposed to be in the mid-seventies on Friday..........

spaceman_spiff
03-26-2012, 02:03 AM
Lots of people called in sick around here yesterday. Snowbird reported 36" of new snowfall in a 48 hour period.

Temperature is supposed to be in the mid-seventies on Friday..........

I was in Park City during the big dump; loads of fun. Stopped skiing Wednesday because it just wasn't worth it anymore.

In other news, I saw Michael Jordan in PC Tuesday night, picking up his new skis and boots from one of the local ski shops. I didn't know he was a skier.

GRANITECHIEF
03-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Signed up for Indoors Nats at Park City which starts in a couple weeks. Will bring board for use after tourney ends. Hopefully get another good powder day like 2 years ago.

r2, happen to know anyguys playing the event that might be a good dubs partner?

r2473
03-27-2012, 08:54 PM

Sorry, I don't. I don't play league and haven't played a tournament for at least 3 years.

I don't think you are going to have much luck with the snow this year while you are out here.

How did you enjoy IW?

GRANITECHIEF
03-28-2012, 10:16 AM
IW's was great but it went by way too fast. I only got a chance to hit once and wanted to play a new opponent. I ended up losing 1 game in our match but it was lots of fun.

Did you enjoy as well? Did you play any matches?

Re the snow, I'll still bring my board just in case.

BTW, Squaw reporting up 20" new snow today and its still snowing. Another system supposed to move through Sat eve. Should be a good weekend!

r2473
03-28-2012, 10:39 AM
^^ You're just too damn good for pickup games. Not too often you find someone at your level looking to hit with new people. I can't believe that your son is a level+ beyond you. He must be amazing.

I found a great kid to hit with. We played most everyday. Really had a great time. I think this guy might have been able to give you a bit of a challenge. He's pretty good.

I actually didn't go skiing a single day this year. Worst year since I've been here.

GRANITECHIEF
03-28-2012, 11:35 AM
^^ You're just too damn good for pickup games. Not too often you find someone at your level looking to hit with new people. I can't believe that your son is a level+ beyond you. He must be amazing.

I found a great kid to hit with. We played most everyday. Really had a great time. I think this guy might have been able to give you a bit of a challenge. He's pretty good.

I actually didn't go skiing a single day this year. Worst year since I've been here.

Great that you got to hit a bunch. My game wasn't just a pickup game. The guy said he was a 4.5-5.0 and he was.

My boy is dang good but there are a lot of really amazing young players. He just got his first itf points and obliterated his opponents in his first 4 matches, scoring a bagel in 3 of them and not dropping a set (3 to quallify for main draw and a win in the first round). He lost in 3 sets in 2nd round to a very good player but definitely had lots of chances in that match. Its great to travel this journey with him.

You haven't been out a single day yet? For shame!! I know there have been at least a few good days!

r2473
03-28-2012, 12:24 PM
You haven't been out a single day yet? For shame!! I know there have been at least a few good days!

There have. I see Spaceman lucked out and was in town for the big dump a few weeks ago. I thought about heading up......but didn't.

Most of the people I know ski outside of the park (hike) in the back country. They ski all the time. Even this year. Bunch of nuts.

I'm not into it that much. I'm also not that good.

spaceman_spiff
03-29-2012, 12:11 AM
There have. I see Spaceman lucked out and was in town for the big dump a few weeks ago.

Yeah, very lucky. Temps in the 50s the week before I got there, then a big dump the weekend I arrived. Then, temps in the low-70s the last couple of days I was there.

Three great days, one mediocre day, and a couple of days just hanging around SLC. Not too bad.

r2473
04-02-2012, 10:55 AM

Holy @#$%$. Jeff Tarango is playing in this tournament:

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome_New/Tournament.aspx?T=114554

GRANITECHIEF
04-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Ya I saw that. Hope i get to play him 1st round!

r2473
04-02-2012, 11:23 AM
That would be cool.

Good luck. Looks like there are some pretty strong players in the field this year (and the regular allotment of local guys rounding out the draw).

GRANITECHIEF
04-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Holy @#$%$. Jeff Tarango is playing in this tournament:

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome_New/Tournament.aspx?T=114554

Ya hope to play him in first round.

Awesome powder days at squaw this weekend! Saturday from 2 to 4 pm was all time, fluffy face shots. I didn't want it to end cuz it just kept getting better and better.

Yesterday woke up to more snow showers and clouds breaking up to a bluebird day. Conditions a little variable in spots due to everything sliding but still thick in the trees and stash spots!

I'm tired and sore with a big smile!

r2473
04-02-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm tired and sore

You must be getting old :)

r2473
04-06-2012, 08:22 AM
I see you get your "wish" of playing Tarango early.

Uh......good luck :)

GRANITECHIEF
04-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Ya I see that too, cool eh! However it goes, it will be a great challenge and experience.

Looks like you are getting a little snow there today?

r2473
04-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Just got about a foot of new snow last night at Snowbird. We had several inches of accumulation in the valley this morning too.

http://www.snowbird.com/ski_board/snowreport.php

Better hurry though, its going to be 75 degrees on Sunday.

GRANITECHIEF
04-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Do you know Zinn?

r2473
04-06-2012, 09:34 AM
No, but it looks like he got bageled last year and then crushed on the consolation too. I'm guessing you won't have much trouble.

Utah is hosting #1 USC this afternoon and #5 UCLA on Sunday.

We lost 3-4 to #11 Stanford on Sunday. I didn't watch that, but I will be there this afternoon and ***maybe*** Sunday.

http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-tennis/sched/utah-m-tennis-sched.html

r2473
04-06-2012, 04:26 PM
I see now. Tarango is on the USC coaching staff.

r2473
04-10-2012, 07:30 AM
I see Tarango saw the possiblility of having to play you so he withdrew.

dParis
11-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Are you going to get some snow in the Rockies this year, or what?

Love going to Crested Butte, but not loving the 5+ hour drive (if the weather cooperates) from Denver. So it looks like it's going to be Steamboat or Breck this year. I get the impression that SB will be more similar to CB than Breckenridge and i like the fact that it's base is almost 3,000ft lower than Breck. This flatlander had a couple of difficult nights dealing with CB's 9,000+ ft base. Not a huge deal, but I will be more comfortable at 6,700ft. Breckenridge, on the other hand is a little closer to Denver, has more lodging options for our large clan and has access to other resorts. Seems like more of a total package as far as "the experience" goes.

Does anyone have advice on must-do experiences at either resort, keeping in mind that if either has a place half as cool as The Secret Stash in Crested Butte, I'll probably be pretty happy.

LeeD
11-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Never been to either, but as a snowboard shop salesman for 10 years, they say Steamboat no good, bad attitude, while Breck more low key, but still bad attitude.

GRANITECHIEF
12-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Snow season firing up. Not a bad start for snowfall.

Current state of Squaw Valley:

http://unofficialnetworks.com/current-state-squaw-valley-112305/

Cool images yesterday at Mammoth:

http://mammothsnowman.com/imagegalleries/12-03-2012/img_6636.htm

http://mammothsnowman.com/imagegalleries/12-03-2012/img_6630.htm

Say Chi Sin Lo
12-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Snow season firing up. Not a bad start for snowfall.

Current state of Squaw Valley:

http://unofficialnetworks.com/current-state-squaw-valley-112305/

If Squaw looked like that, I expect Kirkwood to have no green.

LeeD
12-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Bunny runs open with 3' of snow.
Blue runs need 4' or more.
Anything black, usually 6' of snowfall, and it can pack down to whatever....3-4, and work.
Expert runs, not down the middle of the runs, need 8' + of pack to clear the rocks.
Powder covers lots, but your ski/board can easily sink 2' or slightly more in slow spots and turns.
If you plan to ride 11 or 6, hike up off 4 at Kirkwood, you have to wait another storm or two.

r2473
12-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Bunny runs open with 3' of snow.
Blue runs need 4' or more.
Anything black, usually 6' of snowfall, and it can pack down to whatever....3-4, and work.
Expert runs, not down the middle of the runs, need 8' + of pack to clear the rocks.
Powder covers lots, but your ski/board can easily sink 2' or slightly more in slow spots and turns.
If you plan to ride 11 or 6, hike up off 4 at Kirkwood, you have to wait another storm or two.

Wow!! What is the average base depth for the winter at Kirkwood?

LeeD
12-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Snowy years, like two years ago and '96, 30' total is quite common. Our friend's 3 story cabin was covered over the top by at least 5', not solid packed snow, but 12' from a 4 day storm.
Drought years, easily 7' by Feb.
Last year, 5' by Feb, but March alone got 8'.
Deepest snowball usually accumulates around end of Feb., I'd think an average would be somewhere around 180".

GRANITECHIEF
12-04-2012, 03:52 PM
472" average annual snowfall.

LeeD
12-04-2012, 04:05 PM
If Tahoe get's close to 500, I wonder how much snow falls on Mammoth on a wet year and on a dry year?
Most Febs, when I start to go up, there is at least 8' of coverage in all the backcountry "runs".

spaceman_spiff
12-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Trip booked for St. Anton next month, doing an off-piste course with guides and instructors all week. It was pretty fun last season, so it should be good times once again.

Still making plans for later next month and February. I might try to finally do Chamonix this season.

GRANITECHIEF
12-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Cool video of 2 days ago at Squaw.

http://youtu.be/EKUlQFcoMeM

GRANITECHIEF
12-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Thanks Santa Clause!

The models are in pretty good agreement with 2.5-3.5 feet of snow possible at lake level through Sunday, 3-5 feet above 7000 ft., and 4-6 feet possible West of the lake along the crest. The GFS has about a foot more possible for the West side of the lake and the crest.

http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/tahoe

Anyone else headed up to Tahoe soon?

GRANITECHIEF
12-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Careful not to crash!

http://youtu.be/HRCni8DBQfw

BlueB
12-21-2012, 09:10 AM
How come I didn't see this thread before?

Cypress Mountain, Vancouver BC, had over 8ft (251cm) of snow over the last 7 days! Love it!

Some old shots:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=15915&stc=1&d=1234600453

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=15916&stc=1&d=1234600465

http://www.blueb.biz/snowsports/Jump-20111208.jpg

LeeD
12-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Ah, little in the world like hard boot raceboard carving, especially in powder and going for jumps. Great combo for wide open uncrowded runs.
Still have my HotSpot and AvalancheIceRocket's for that.

BlueB
12-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Hey Lee, you have to try some of the modern carving boards. They have come long way... Much easier to ride with better edghold. Look for the stuff built with Titanal and some decamber in the nose.

I'm cheating in the jump pic, it's a "freeride" board for hard boots, Nidecker Proto. Pretty noodly and wider, compared to real race sticks. Yeah, but hard booters are a rare site. Growing slowly though. Tomorrow I have a student booked for 3 hours, to learn pow/moguls/trees on hard boots!

LeeD
12-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Back in the mid '90's, lots of guys rode powder, skiing moguls, and thru trees on plate bindings, raceboards, and hard boots. A good rider can ride with almost anything.
At SierraTahoe, the best mogul riders were using hard boots and shorter slalom boards, for the quickness and turn initiation.
I seriously DON'T believe the new stuff is sooo much better. A hair better, yes. Because I went thru the evolution of surfing, motocross, waterskiing, kitesurfing, windsurfing, skiing, snowboarding (both race boards and freeride sticks) for at least 12 years on most, and some sports, over 29 years.
I ride my mid '90's sticks as well as anyone not pro/expert or living up there for 4 season's, in most terrain, except I don't do jump parks anymores. Halfpipes, I still get 4' above the sides on a pro pipe, and that was maybe a hair better than in '99.
I guess I'm not enamored by all the new hype and marketing of the new gear....whether it's tennis or windsurfing, or any other sport. If you can do the sport back 20 years ago on that old gear, you're still amongst the best out there with that old gear today. I prove it day after day in windsurfing and surfing.
And of course, if you sucked at it back then, but practiced lots and got better NOW, the old gear seems flawed compared to the new gear.

BlueB
12-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Back in the mid '90's, lots of guys rode powder, skiing moguls, and thru trees on plate bindings, raceboards, and hard boots. A good rider can ride with almost anything.
At SierraTahoe, the best mogul riders were using hard boots and shorter slalom boards, for the quickness and turn initiation.
I seriously DON'T believe the new stuff is sooo much better. A hair better, yes. Because I went thru the evolution of surfing, motocross, waterskiing, kitesurfing, windsurfing, skiing, snowboarding (both race boards and freeride sticks) for at least 12 years on most, and some sports, over 29 years.
I ride my mid '90's sticks as well as anyone not pro/expert or living up there for 4 season's, in most terrain, except I don't do jump parks anymores. Halfpipes, I still get 4' above the sides on a pro pipe, and that was maybe a hair better than in '99.
I guess I'm not enamored by all the new hype and marketing of the new gear....whether it's tennis or windsurfing, or any other sport. If you can do the sport back 20 years ago on that old gear, you're still amongst the best out there with that old gear today. I prove it day after day in windsurfing and surfing.
And of course, if you sucked at it back then, but practiced lots and got better NOW, the old gear seems flawed compared to the new gear.
Lee, trust me on this one. Developments in race snowboard tech over last 10 years are not marketing hype. Just look at the absolute dominance that Schoch brothers had in World Cup, while they still had exclusivity with Kessler and other manufacturers hadn't figured it out yet... Then Apex came up with (then) secret sub-plate system and Canadian team did a clear sweep in the season leading up to the Vancouver Olympics. The field has leveled a bit since, as everyone is on the new tech now.
I have over 50 boards (mostly hard boots specific), dating from late 80', to latest stuff. New gear is definitely easier and better to ride. I often go back and forth with boards, just for fun and always make the same conclusion.
If you are ever in Vancouver BC, I invite you to try several boards back to back and judge for yourself.

Otherwise, to make a tennis analogy , yes, good player can play good with an old wooden racquet, but he would loose to a player of equivalent skill with modern gear. For a sucky amateur (like me), it is just plain easier to play with a modern one.

Merry Christmas!

GRANITECHIEF
12-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Well Santa Clause really busted out with a nice dump in Tahoe for Christmas. 6 ft in a week really buffs the place out.

I have gotten 3 days in. Wednesday was sick after the late night white knuckle drive over Donner Pass. Gotta love driving in a total night whiteout. Woke up after the red eye with just short of a foot to clear off the car.

First run off Far East through the Christmas trees was face shots every turn, crowds were light and the KT laps started flowing. Ahhhh, burn these old legs. I would probably be in medal contention for mens 40's snowboarding moguls, hahaha! Today i did a sub 10 minute lap, for those of you that know KT, time yourself sometime. Its a complete full on burner.

I've had so much fun in the last couple days teaching my little ones more snowboarding. My 5 year old is linking turns, as he should since i started teaching him when he was 2, and wants to do park jumps (little ones).

One of the best riders I've personally known was a hard booter. He was a freak, sometimes known as trenchman, cuz of the crater carves he left all over the mountain. While we were instructors at Squaw he placed 2nd at Big Mountain and quallied for worlds in Alaska. Awesome rider.

I got 2 free tix at WhistleBlack with my SV gold pass, so hopefully i'll get up to slide there this season.

Happy New Year to all and no better way to spend it than sliding down a mountain.

spaceman_spiff
01-14-2013, 02:12 AM
Well, St Anton was a mixed bag.

Arrival day: Rain at base level, snow at the top.

Day 1: Powder up top in the morning, crust lower down. Good skiing up high for the first few hours, but the sun wreaked havoc with the snow as the day progressed.

Days 2-4: Too much sun and warm temperatures. Crust all around. Had to climb and traverse quite a bit to find decent snow.

Day 5: New snow on crust; temps back below freezing. Interesting skiing, some powder turns, some crusty turns. Still a bit of climbing involved.

Day 6: Powder! Whiteout conditions up top (1.5-chair visibility on the ride up), nice stuff lower down. Set off a few mini avalanches throughout the day, got a few face shots, smiled a lot. Good times.

Departure day: Had to catch the train back to Zurich before the downhill race, so no Lindsay/Julia watching unfortunately. Just saw the highlights yesterday.

tennis_balla
01-14-2013, 02:20 AM
Should be going skiing on Wednesday and then hopefully next week if everything works out to Kitz for the Hahnekamm. Fingers crossed, will post photos if I go.

v-verb
01-14-2013, 04:47 AM
Wish I could. Daughter is a Synchro Swimmer and practices every weekend. No snowboarding for me again this year dammit...

tennis_balla
01-17-2013, 04:25 AM
Not a bad day out, but fairly foggy and mixed conditions on the runs. Some parts icy as hell, and other parts with good snow. Its been warm here recently so lots of snow melting, then freezing to ice etc. Finally got below freezing the past few days and snowed quite a bit.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd177/dsotm80/DSC_0064_zps58698018.jpg

Say Chi Sin Lo
01-23-2013, 04:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/r4JvZAR.jpg

Green
- Agree with all
- I try to avoid the green parts as much as possible. Idiots can really ruin your day if one of them is directly in front of you, and just decides to plop onto the snow without warning.

Blue
- Agree with the skiers "intentionally" trying to block you. It's the skiers' "Z" turns that annoy me. I'm a snowboarder. Aside from intermediate carving to control my speed, I tend to beam down the slopes. Then you have skiers doing the "Z" from side to side, and some of them don't look when they make those diagonal turns across the width of the trail. I'm not hating on skiers, but come on man, look where you're turning. You can see a line of snowboarders putting on the brakes because one skier decides to Z turns all the way down the entire trail.
- Snowboarders trying to make mini-moguls and jump off of them, stop it. There are dedicated mogul trails, go on those and do your nonsense. I have been launched by those self-made moguls, and that wasn't fun. NO jumps are fun if you aren't planning on it.

Black
- Skier's Z turns.
- First day/newbie snowboarder leafing down the slope, as long as you don't tailgate one, it's not an issue for me. But when there's a wall of newbies leafing down... Come on man, know your limit.
- Kids/adults doing the Peter Griffin at the landing spot of a jump, GTFO.
- Kids/adults doing the Peter Griffin at the tip of a drop, GTFO of the way because people can't see you unless they too are at the tip of the drop, and about to crash into you!

http://fattylane.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/knee-389x291.jpg

Double Black
- Agree with all and pretty much the same as Black.
- Don't really spend that much time on Double Blacks.

tennis_balla
01-24-2013, 11:04 PM
Kitzbuhel. View of the Mausefalle during training runs and looking out, enjoying the view.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd177/dsotm80/DSC_0115_zps669aff34.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd177/dsotm80/DSC_0112_zps07aa3ad6.jpg

Govnor
01-25-2013, 07:40 AM
At this point in my life. Skiing and Tennis are the activities I love doing the most. Unfortunately I get to ski about once every 2 years. But I love it! Taking the kids next time we go, which will be different, but I'm sure a lot of fun too. Almost certainly going back to Utah, where we've been the last 2 times.

spaceman_spiff
01-29-2013, 05:57 AM
Photo of the day, from last week's trip to Les Diablerets

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/js379835/Les%20Diablerets/000_0004_zps532eac43.jpg

r2473
01-29-2013, 07:20 AM
At this point in my life. Skiing and Tennis are the activities I love doing the most. Unfortunately I get to ski about once every 2 years. But I love it! Taking the kids next time we go, which will be different, but I'm sure a lot of fun too. Almost certainly going back to Utah, where we've been the last 2 times.

Where do you like to ski in Utah?

We've had about 2 feet of nice snow in the past 48 hours and it is supposed to continue to snow all day today. I live about 2 miles from the mouth of canyon (Snowbird, Alta, Solitude, Brighton).

BlueB
01-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Green
- Agree with all
- I try to avoid the green parts as much as possible. Idiots can really ruin your day if one of them is directly in front of you, and just decides to plop onto the snow without warning.

Blue
- Agree with the skiers "intentionally" trying to block you. It's the skiers' "Z" turns that annoy me. I'm a snowboarder. Aside from intermediate carving to control my speed, I tend to beam down the slopes. Then you have skiers doing the "Z" from side to side, and some of them don't look when they make those diagonal turns across the width of the trail. I'm not hating on skiers, but come on man, look where you're turning. You can see a line of snowboarders putting on the brakes because one skier decides to Z turns all the way down the entire trail.
- Snowboarders trying to make mini-moguls and jump off of them, stop it. There are dedicated mogul trails, go on those and do your nonsense. I have been launched by those self-made moguls, and that wasn't fun. NO jumps are fun if you aren't planning on it.

Black
- Skier's Z turns.
- First day/newbie snowboarder leafing down the slope, as long as you don't tailgate one, it's not an issue for me. But when there's a wall of newbies leafing down... Come on man, know your limit.
- Kids/adults doing the Peter Griffin at the landing spot of a jump, GTFO.
- Kids/adults doing the Peter Griffin at the tip of a drop, GTFO of the way because people can't see you unless they too are at the tip of the drop, and about to crash into you!

Double Black
- Agree with all and pretty much the same as Black.
- Don't really spend that much time on Double Blacks.

Ahem, ahem...
Person ahead of you can not be blocking you - it is your responsibillity to take care of them, not other way around. They do not have eyes on the back of their head, neither they are obliged to look behind (although common sense would say so), unless thay are starting from stand still or merging the trail.

http://www.skicanada.org/_assets/images/ENG-Skier-Rider-Responsibility-Code(2).jpg

In other words, you shold be able to stop or avoid, no mather what happens ahead of you. If you are mostly "beaming" the slope and are bothered by slower users, that simply means that you are riding above your abilities or conditions of slope or traffic.

Also what are you actually doing when "carving to control the speed"? Just curious...

GRANITECHIEF
01-31-2013, 10:52 AM
Need to get up to tahoe soon! So gorgeous up there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNWr0OVL5oc&feature=share&list=UUb-29fIS3FXMUqSmSiG307w

Cruzin behind my bud, holding my ipod to vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJj3GFZAhzA&feature=share&list=UUb-29fIS3FXMUqSmSiG307w

Want more of this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBgBNyYlhn4&feature=share&list=UUb-29fIS3FXMUqSmSiG307w

Say Chi Sin Lo
01-31-2013, 10:56 AM
Ahem, ahem...
Person ahead of you can not be blocking you - it is your responsibillity to take care of them, not other way around. They do not have eyes on the back of their head, neither they are obliged to look behind (although common sense would say so), unless thay are starting from stand still or merging the trail.

http://www.skicanada.org/_assets/images/ENG-Skier-Rider-Responsibility-Code(2).jpg

In other words, you shold be able to stop or avoid, no mather what happens ahead of you. If you are mostly "beaming" the slope and are bothered by slower users, that simply means that you are riding above your abilities or conditions of slope or traffic.

Also what are you actually doing when "carving to control the speed"? Just curious...

Basically braking so I don't go too fast and kill myself.

I get that I should be responsible for people in front of me, and that I should avoid them too. But at the same time, I'm just speaking out to people who don't ride according to their limit.

If you can't handle a certain slope, then don't be on that slope.

LeeD
01-31-2013, 11:40 AM
If you can't handle a certain slope, apply good judgement, be safe, be safe to other's, and take your time.
All of us have jumped into runs we couldn't handle at the time. That's how you learn to handle them. Most of us survived the experience, and hopefully didn't endanger or injure anyone else.
My 10th day skiing EVER, rode Chute75, the Face, OlympicLady, RedDog, Cornice, Slot, and Headwall.
My 8th day, the best I could do was sideslip down Siberia's bowl, taking maybe 20 minutes to finish. Still had trouble at Shirley the day after.
We all have to jump in with both feet sometime.

BlueB
01-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Basically braking so I don't go too fast and kill myself.
So you are not carving, but skidding/sliding...

"A carved turn is distinguishable by its subsequent "pencil line" mark left in the snow. This indicates that only the edge of the board made contact with the snow, and no skidding took taking place during the turn. The rider is using pressure, twist and tilt to get only the side of the board into the snow. Then engaging the sidecut edge which determines the carved turn shape. This type of turn causes the board to bend and store a large amount of potential energy during the turn. Allowing this potential energy to be released and then used to propel the boarder into the next turn. The act requires the snowboarding skills of twist, tilt, and pressure to engage the edge into the snow and start the turn. No pivoting should be involved while the edge of the board is engaged with the snow as it will cause skidding, or the edge to release from the snow."

"A carve turn is a skiing term, used to refer to a turning technique in which the ski shifts to one side or the other on its edges. In this case, the ski turns itself and is driven by the sidecut geometry while losing no speed, unlike a normal parallel turn."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carve_turn

http://casi-acms.com/images/phocagallery/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_4.jpg
From CASI's official website

I get that I should be responsible for people in front of me, and that I should avoid them too. But at the same time, I'm just speaking out to people who don't ride according to their limit.
If you can't handle a certain slope, then don't be on that slope.
I agree that one should pick the terrain according to skill. However, there is absolutely nothing that can prevent people from chellenging themselves on harder runs - deal with it.
I guess you would be also really irritated having to pass a carver (real carver), linking the pencil thin, full C turns down an advanced run, while you are trying to staraightline the fall line...

tennis_balla
01-31-2013, 12:18 PM
Share the slopes, just like you share the road or highway. There will be faster and slower moving traffic. If everyone just stayed on easy runs, they won't improve. You need to challenge yourself to get better. Besides, everyone sucked at one time as well and people got out of your way and were courteous so do the same for others.

LeeD
01-31-2013, 12:22 PM
Carving is for the runs you can easily handle, have no moguls, is groomed corduroy, sorta wide and not too crowded. Around Tahoe, Heavenly, Northstar, and Sierra are spots with some of the best carving conditions.
Skidding, sideslipping, and checking your speed with rebounding turns off the upperface of a mogul is what you do in advanced terrain which is usually pockmarked with "volkswagon" sized steep moguls.
I like both, can handle carving for maybe 2 hours, then bored and deteriorating conditions, go to the soft boot short board combo for some goofing around fun and cruising....and as many halfpipe runs as my riding partners would allow, always hiking the way back up.
NOBODY, not the best pro, can CARVE Chute75 at Squaw. Just too steep and narrow, although often smooth as silk from recent snowfalls and it's steepness. Your ride there by jump turning and linking turns as close as possible.
Carving on crowded runs is just irresponsible and waiting to get your ticket pulled by ski patrol.
I like the linked 3/4" wide carve channel followed by 12' of air between the turns as much as the next hardboot guy, but also know it's something that is reserved for the right conditions at the right time.

Say Chi Sin Lo
01-31-2013, 01:12 PM
So you are not carving, but skidding/sliding...

You're out to get me aren't you? Fine, you do realize carving effectively slow down your speed and lengthen your path of travel?

Carving as in making S turns, sharp turns left and right? Yeah I do those, but it also slows you down and that's what I meant by braking/slowing me down.

Clearly someone doesn't have a sense of humor, because that was the point of my original post.

Say Chi Sin Lo
01-31-2013, 01:14 PM
Carving is for the runs you can easily handle, have no moguls, is groomed corduroy, sorta wide and not too crowded. Around Tahoe, Heavenly, Northstar, and Sierra are spots with some of the best carving conditions.

I'm torn between which is my least favorite mountain.

Heavenly: Moguls and flat patches everywhere.
Northstar: Everybody goes there so it's packed.

LeeD
01-31-2013, 01:57 PM
Most certainly a subject of debate.
Most would say TahoeDonner rates the worst.
Squaw still Tahoes best ski mountain, the steepest with the most moguls, and it's going downhill and credibility lately with all the powderpuff runs where expert runs used to be.
Alpine in there, much shorter runs, but right there and also a better boarding mountain.
Heavenly IS, if you hit top of Nevada side bright and early. Motts and Killebrew help raise the image of a bunny groomed slope. Used to love racing the chair down the Face and Gunbarrel, but that was a long time ago.
Kirkwood is the well discovered undercover mountain. Really, think about it, only TWO lifts worth hoot, but plenty of hikein take hours off your ticket riding.
Sierra is sentimental favorite for me, but lots pass on by to bigger things. It's tight, with lots of tree runs, and plenty of chutes and gullies if you know the RGarden and E slopes OOB's.
Hate to say it. I LOVE DonnerSkiRanch. Where it all started, still very remedial in amenities, but what a great small mountain. Lots of pro days there, wagon trains and slalom gates.
Bowl...some real hard core lovers there. Kinda cool, with the separate mountain and that's where you start your drop down to oleHighway40 and the Lake. Some say the chutes on a windless post storm heaven on earth.
I rate Homewood and Rose very similar. Great on pow days, worthless if it's been dry for a week.
Boreal.....true LA boarding up here in Tahoe. But when the Pipe is ripe, it ranks primo of all the resorts.
Oh, the STAR....what a waste in the old days, but the two new lifts facing N are fine, albeit short, and it's carver heaven for skis and snowboards with all the blue groomies. Plenty of freshies even days post storm, the trees opening to some nice stashes, and long pow boards advised to find them.

Say Chi Sin Lo
01-31-2013, 06:43 PM
Kirkwood is the best mountain by far. That is, if you're willing to take a detour to get there.

And on stormy days, forget it, that 88 (or is it 89?) road is a death trap.

BlueB
02-01-2013, 09:59 AM
You're out to get me aren't you? Fine, you do realize carving effectively slow down your speed and lengthen your path of travel?
Carving as in making S turns, sharp turns left and right? Yeah I do those, but it also slows you down and that's what I meant by braking/slowing me down.
Clearly someone doesn't have a sense of humor, because that was the point of my original post.
Yeah, I loose the sense of humor right away, when someone is talking about straightlining the hill while being irritated by people below him. Not understanding the type of the turn/technique that he performs, just seals the picture.

Say Chi Sin Lo
02-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I loose the sense of humor right away, when someone is talking about straightlining the hill while being irritated by people below him. Not understanding the type of the turn/technique that he performs, just seals the picture.

Yep, I don't understand the exact turns/techniques that I perform, being self taught and able to carve my way down blacks. It's not like I'm competing in this sport, it's just a hobby.

Do I care? No. Do I have fun? Yes. But I'll let your little ego continue to run this show since proper "turns/techniques" are so important to you. So you have fun and continue to make yourself feel better, ok? Looks like you need it.

BlueB
02-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Yep, I don't understand the exact turns/techniques that I perform, being self taught and able to carve my way down blacks. It's not like I'm competing in this sport, it's just a hobby.

Do I care? No. Do I have fun? Yes. But I'll let your little ego continue to run this show since proper "turns/techniques" are so important to you. So you have fun and continue to make yourself feel better, ok? Looks like you need it.
Have fun, do not hit people below you. Even when they turn ahead of you.
Book a carving lesson with a reputable instructor, at least you'll find out the difference ;)

Say Chi Sin Lo
02-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Have fun, do not hit people below you. Even when they turn ahead of you.
Book a carving lesson with a reputable instructor, at least you'll find out the difference ;)

I was told I'd be wasting their time as I already carve. Book a conversation lesson with a reputable instructor, at least you'll find out how to talk to people and hold a conversation?

LeeD
02-01-2013, 10:48 AM
I have over 10 confirmed Kirkwood fanatics buds and ettes, all with season passes.
Every time I go there, it's just ....OK.....
Chair 6 is OK. Chair 11 is pretty good, unless it's icy. Backside, and Eside.
Chair 4 is remedial fun, the long hike up to the right is good stuff, but the walk out and traverse sucks. I've hiked to the TOP at least 20 times.
Give me ScottsChute, 75, Top of the Slot, Horsetrails, SunBowl, or the OLD RedDog any day.
True carving is a specialized technique, one that takes superior conditioning and thigh strength, smooth semi step terrain, and sort "old guy" mentality.
Before you get on my case, I AM an old guy, and rode with MikeJacoby/MarkFawcett a handful of days around Tahoe, especially race training practice at the N run off the tall chair at DonnerSkiRanch.
VERY few rec skiers/boarders can carve, even after they've ridden 300 days or more. And the specialized boards/boots needed are not something the REC boarder would procure.
As for CARVING skiers, every skier SAYS they carve. Less than 5% actually do it on a run.

BlueB
02-01-2013, 11:40 AM
I was told I'd be wasting their time as I already carve. Book a conversation lesson with a reputable instructor, at least you'll find out how to talk to people and hold a conversation?
Can't waste an instructors time - it's their job, they get paid for it.
Care to post a video link to your "carving"?

As for the conversation, it seems that we are having one, indespite of disagreeing...

BlueB
02-01-2013, 11:49 AM
True carving is a specialized technique, one that takes superior conditioning and thigh strength, smooth semi step terrain, and sort "old guy" mentality.
Before you get on my case, I AM an old guy, and rode with MikeJacoby/MarkFawcett a handful of days around Tahoe, especially race training practice at the N run off the tall chair at DonnerSkiRanch.
VERY few rec skiers/boarders can carve, even after they've ridden 300 days or more. And the specialized boards/boots needed are not something the REC boarder would procure.
As for CARVING skiers, every skier SAYS they carve. Less than 5% actually do it on a run.
I agree with your statements about percentages.
I do not agree about specialised technique/gear. Yes, for very high performance, but not in general.
At the CASI snow school progression, we intoduce the carving at intermediate level. At least, to the students willing to pursue it...

Fawcett is a really nice guy, had the pleasure of talking to him few times, when he brought the Canadian Alpine team to Cypress for trainings, prior to the Olympics. I never had pleasure of meeting Jacoby...

He, he, I like the "old guy" disclaimer :) I'm not a spring chicken either :D

Say Chi Sin Lo
02-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Can't waste an instructors time - it's their job, they get paid for it.
Care to post a video link to your "carving"?

As for the conversation, it seems that we are having one, indespite of disagreeing...

Can your ego get any bigger? You make it sound like your approval matters. I hope I didn't ruin your day by saying I don't care.

I can make it down blacks in a timely manner, avoid people (that's right, I can actually avoid people, I just prefer not to when they don't know their limits and ruin my run), and not fall. You can use your imagination to fill in the rest.

LeeD
02-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Yeah, when you get Mark and Mike together with beers, it's Mutt and Jeff time. I can sit for hours barely saying anything, as the stories flow fast and furious, coming from totally different sides.
It shows in their riding too. Technical or pure brute.
As for gear, I've SEEN softboot/freestyler's carve 1" lines, but they and I set the bindings closer together and ride bunny slopes. Can't truly carve freestyle gear on steeps. Need the hardboot and raceboard with +140cm edges to really carve the moderate steepness terrain.
Yeah skiers. They all say they carve. Like 5% of the time, 5% of them.

BlueB
02-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Can your ego get any bigger? You make it sound like your approval matters. I hope I didn't ruin your day by saying I don't care.
Approval? Hell no, you'd have to pay me for that. ;)
It's the curiosity...

I can make it down blacks in a timely manner, avoid people (that's right, I can actually avoid people, I just prefer not to when they don't know their limits and ruin my run), and not fall. You can use your imagination to fill in the rest.
I used my imagination already, that's why we are having this conversation.

LeeD
02-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Back when I was selling snowboards in the '90's, I always got customers who dropped by saying how they "ripped" this or that, carving and skying jumps, laying elbows, or pulling 6' off the halfpipes.
I've gone boarding and skiing with at least 50 of them, if not 80.
Not once, did any of the guys do as they advertised.
Some were very good riders, but most just rode fast, skidded and slid, and rode like the sub300 day riders they were.
Oh, I also sold skis back in the mid '70's, which is why I included skiing.

BlueB
02-01-2013, 12:41 PM
As for gear, I've SEEN softboot/freestyler's carve 1" lines, but they and I set the bindings closer together and ride bunny slopes. Can't truly carve freestyle gear on steeps. Need the hardboot and raceboard with +140cm edges to really carve the moderate steepness terrain.
Good point about the stance! Slightly forward and narrower is certainly easier to carve. Stances got ridicoulously wide nowadays, mostly due to media constantly pushing freestyle. When your board is 150ish andn stance as wide to almost put you on the nose and tail of the board, there is nothing left to bend into a carved turn...

Good length freeride board with softies can carve pretty good. Look at this guy - from far you'd think he's on hardboots:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDK3MhdOUy4
or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGiZo1o3xfQ

Last but not least, my kid at age 3, on skis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-WK-GHV7ms :)

LeeD
02-01-2013, 01:19 PM
That's OK carving for soft boots. By the sound, and if you look closely at the tracks, you can see it's carve initiation with some slipping exit, normal for an expert rider trying to carve with soft boots.
My AvalancheIceRocket has 144 edges, is as stiff as my HotSpot, and a soft boot stance around 19" can cave pretty well.
Soft boots also need softer snow, as in the vid.
I
I've spent many an hour riding with hard boot guys and their 184cm x 19 raceboards with my softie setup and a 157 twin tip. Initiation of the turns can be close, the the exist skid of the soft setup betrays the nice carve.
Rebound is the same, the same 12' of no tracks between linked turns.
I have 6 pins, plate, and some wire in my tib/fib that lies EXACTLY where the top of the hard boots meet the shin. That's why I've been spotted using softboats (AirWalkFreerides) with my Logical 163 with a 20" stance and almost carving like the raceboarders.

GRANITECHIEF
02-01-2013, 03:40 PM
I like to see someone carve down the west face of KT. Have to skid turns if you want to stay upright longer than 2 turns.

Here's me holding my ipod in 1 hand and running out of breath at the end.

http://youtu.be/k7iv0c4Hib4

My boy boarding at 2 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=UUb-29fIS3FXMUqSmSiG307w&v=3d8SL5_jkCw#t=109s

BlueB
02-02-2013, 09:16 AM
My boy boarding at 2 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=UUb-29fIS3FXMUqSmSiG307w&v=3d8SL5_jkCw#t=109s
This is awsome! Hat's off to you Sir!
I instructed quite a few 2 year old children to ski, I wouldn't even dare to attempt on snowboard...

Any tips you can share?

LeeD
02-02-2013, 01:18 PM
That's why I say carving is for easy runs without moguls, soft snow, or groomed corduroy.
Nobody carves down WestFace, East, or even straight down the SADDLE. OK, Saddle is a possibility in softer heavier conditions.
Carving is for the runs that are not challenging.

BlueB
02-02-2013, 11:41 PM
That's why I say carving is for easy runs without moguls, soft snow, or groomed corduroy.
Carving is for the runs that are not challenging.
Of course that the groomers are ideal carving conditions, appropriate width of the trail helps too. Chopped up runs are doable, as well as ice.
"Easy" and "not chellenging" is rellative, I guess. For most of the people a black diamond is not considered easy. I know several people who can carve blacks, as long as it's groomed, hardpack included. A groomed blue square should be carvable by any intermediate carver.

LeeD
02-03-2013, 10:28 AM
To carve, really do the 3/4" lines without a skidded exit, it takes some riding skill, something few rider's of less than 50 days can do.
Black groomies ARE easy runs for anyone who is carving.

GRANITECHIEF
02-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Jeez, where are the storms in the Sierra's?

Down with high pressure ridge blocking pattern!!

This is awsome! Hat's off to you Sir!
I instructed quite a few 2 year old children to ski, I wouldn't even dare to attempt on snowboard...

Any tips you can share?

Tips for the tiny tots: Don't talk to much, leave em in the bindings on the lifts, the retractable front pull cord is great, and stick with em and help em up a bunch.

BTW, now he's 5 and is linking turns down (squaw) blues and wants nothing but jumps, hahaha!

Now we just need some snow!

LeeD
02-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Two weekend days of rain for Jan.
Fourth driest Jan since 1890, yes 1890.
With a low moving thru supposedly by Thursday, we could stumble into the wettest Feb ever.

GRANITECHIEF
02-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Two weekend days of rain for Jan.
Fourth driest Jan since 1890, yes 1890.
With a low moving thru supposedly by Thursday, we could stumble into the wettest Feb ever.

Dust on crust, maybe up to 10", with another week of dry after.

http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/tahoe

Will keep on waiting, doing the snowdance.

LeeD
02-04-2013, 02:53 PM
I thought you were also a surfer.
Did you catch this last 7-10' west swell? It was more consistent than last weekends bigger swell, as paddling out was difficult for most at OBSF.
My g/f just bought a new Formula windsurf board and required sails, masts, booms n stuff, so we might stay around most weekends.

GRANITECHIEF
02-05-2013, 07:28 AM
Ya that was a nice clean long period swell. Ventura surfers point aka seastreet, was super long rides.

Lee you are in SF so Los Gatos is about an hour south?

LeeD
02-05-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm in SanPablo and Los Gatos is an hour S if there is no traffic.
On a messy commute day, it can take almost 2 hours.
OBSF was not surfable with onshore breeze and huge moving tides which make for lots of closeouts and a real tough paddle out.

tennis_balla
03-05-2013, 05:01 AM
Let's revive this thread....

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd177/dsotm80/DSC01206_zps19050a2c.jpg

GRANITECHIEF
03-05-2013, 08:21 AM
^^ Thats pretty cool looking, where is it?

Finally, after taking a 2 month break and recording record lack of precip for the Jan-Feb period, old man winter is back.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.1962993&lon=-120.23544649999997&site=all&smap=1&searchresult=Squaw%20Valley%2C%20CA%2096146%2C%20U SA

bad_call
03-05-2013, 08:31 AM
after years of no skiing/snowboarding got a couple days on the hills in CO and more than a couple of days at the oh-so-fun brewpubs... :)

tennis_balla
03-06-2013, 08:55 AM
^^ Thats pretty cool looking, where is it?

Finally, after taking a 2 month break and recording record lack of precip for the Jan-Feb period, old man winter is back.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.1962993&lon=-120.23544649999997&site=all&smap=1&searchresult=Squaw%20Valley%2C%20CA%2096146%2C%20U SA

Its a tv tower/restaurant in Liberec, Czech Republic. The area is called Jested. I went snowboarding there for the first time, had a blast but still learning. Nothing here however compares to the Alps, its a whole other ball game. In January I was in Kitzbuhel for the Hahnenkamm race, amazing. If anyone ever gets a chance to go, do it! No question.

GRANITECHIEF
03-27-2013, 02:22 PM
This looks fun!

http://unofficialnetworks.com/tim-swartz-120085/

TahoeTennis
03-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Gchief, I moved to Reno this winter (back in Tahoe summer) but if you're up at Squaw/Mt. Rose or in Reno the next month, let's play some tennis.

GRANITECHIEF
03-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Sounds good. Actually planning on going up April 5th, as the long term forecast is showing some potential stormage.

I mean i could go up for some carving:

http://unofficialnetworks.com/eurocarving-russian-extreme-slalom-119529/

But I'm suffering from powder withdrawls at the moment.

LeeD
03-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Carving good.
There's a car commercial on TV lately that shows a guy and a girl doing dual ski carves at moderately high speeds, cool.

spaceman_spiff
03-28-2013, 07:38 AM
Got lucky last week and was able to ski PCMR and Snowbird during a dump. Good snow, though it was more like the heavy Euro snow that I ski on in the Alps than the light, fluffy, "greatest snow on Earth" that they always advertise in UT.

Either way, good times were had.

sapient007
03-28-2013, 09:14 AM
i'm heading to wasatch next week and hopfully the high pressure will lift allowing some cold air to come in for some snow.

BlueB
04-17-2013, 08:21 PM
My 6 year old, last Sunday:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=34732&stc=1&d=1366099238

Next day the mountain closed for the season, with tons of snow still...

LeeD
04-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Square up shoulders, keep hands in front, bring outside pole forwards, bend ze knees, weight OUTSIDE ski, keep head up looking forwards, not down at his ski tips....:):)

BlueB
04-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Yeah, yeah... Some of your comments do stand, ski club coach and daddy instructor know it too ;)
The point of the post was - How many 6 year olds you usually see carving both edges and getting 45˚ edge inclination?

LeeD
04-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Problems is, for me, lots.
Former g/f was a snowboarding instructor. Lots of kids want to SKI with her, and parent's paid for the lessons. Lots of kids can carve pretty well, if the parent's allow them to ski 100 days a year.

BlueB
04-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Problems is, for me, lots.
Former g/f was a snowboarding instructor. Lots of kids want to SKI with her, and parent's paid for the lessons. Lots of kids can carve pretty well, if the parent's allow them to ski 100 days a year.
You know what, as much as I realy like majority of your posts and obvious experience in quite a few sports, some of your post are total BS... :shock:

For a kid to get 100 days on snow, even in a place like Vancouver where the season is about 5 months long and mountains at the door step, a kid would have to ski 2/3 of those winter days. Unless he doesn't go to school AND has a parent that is fully committed (read no real job) to kid's future ski career, there is close to 0 probabillity to skiing 100 days/year.

We agreed before that less then 5% of skiers (probably applies to boarders too) really carve. With 6 year old kids, that percentage is like 0.0001%.
In 40 years of skiing, 10 years of instructing, 3 being exclusively kids instructor, involvement with ski racing club, I've seen exactly 1 kid that can rail both edges, do a full C turn and just roll to the next turn. And that is only on the good snow and when he feels like doing it...

I'd love to see those other ones you are talking about - it might be an eye opener for me. In the mean time, I call BS. :twisted:

LeeD
04-18-2013, 02:05 PM
While Whistler is a huge two mountains, certainly respected by most skier/boarders, your experience is just a drop in the bucket.....as is mine...but neither is all encompassing like you would want to believe.
SierraTahoe had one of the biggest junior race programs in the country. Skiers from all around California would camp for month's there, with their kids, a full on tutorial/homeschool program goes on there every winter back in the '90's. As such, as many as 15-40 camper's park there full time, from Dec thru April, and most kids ski well over 100 days, if not approaching 120, on years with early and late snow. 100 days is not a huge number.
As for school, Tahoe has a ski program where kids from 4th grade thru high school can get off school by 11:40, AM, and are free to take the bus or go by private transport to any ski resort they choose....meaning their PARENT's choose. This extended to the Sacramento area, thru most of Western Nevada, from well N of Chico down to Yosemite area.
Naturally, you didn't know this.
LindseyVonn and JohnnyMosely didn't get good at skiing by going to school until 3:10PM, believe me.

BlueB
04-18-2013, 05:34 PM
As for school, Tahoe has a ski program where kids from 4th grade thru high school can get off school by 11:40, AM...
This is very cool. However, we are talking 10 year olds as the youngest in those programs, no? My original question was about 6 year olds.

LeeD
04-18-2013, 06:11 PM
I guess home schooling isn't in your vocabulary.
I see tennis players around 6-8 who play weekdays, mid day.
I see windsurfing kids who are on the water every windy weekday.
I see farmboyz who are starting motocross riding mini's around age 7 who don't go to school.
Maybe in your mind, school is of vital import, but that's not a reality with parents I see around here, in the SF Bay Area.

BlueB
04-19-2013, 11:52 AM
I guess home schooling isn't in your vocabulary.
I guess, you are reffering to those in campers, few posts above... It just confirms my earlier point:
Unless he doesn't go to school AND has a parent that is fully committed (read no real job) to kid's future ski career, there is close to 0 probabillity to skiing 100 days/year.
Here's some wild math, based just on educated guesswork...
Let's assume there are about 5 (I'd imagine this is a generous number) ski bum families in the area that have a 6 year old. That would be about 1% of total number of 6 year old skiers in the area. Maybe 1/2 of those had enough experience and training to carve = 3 kids. This is an astronomical percentage of 0.5% 6 year old carvers. I'd give you that - your area beats the rest of the world by few decimals, probably. Now, there are 7 ski resorts around Tahoe Lake, 3 kids. You have less then 50% chances of being at the same resort with one. 50 runs on the hill, less then 1% chance of seeing the young carver. He doesn't carve all the time, but rather when the conditions and mood are right = 0.25% chances of seeing the action... Assuming you did some 100 day seasons yourself ;) , yup, you might have seen few over the years. Lots of sightings, I doubted...

And yes, I do consider the school as a very important part of a young person's life.

LeeD
04-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Can't apply YOUR standards to everyone else.
Yes, I snowboarded a total of close to 310 days from '96 thru '03.
Skied close to 400 days from '73 thru '78, when I was playing tennis.
Do you think pro skiers prioritize their school education?
I knew several pro motocrossers who basically quit school by 10th grade. They did make full sponsorship for a number of years, both with TeamHonda and Suzuki, making over 50 grand a yeara, but not much more than that. One of the kids, who used to live a mile from me, didn't go to school, hanging out at my house when he was 12 and waiting for a ride to the practice track a couple miles away.

BlueB
04-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Huh, typical topic twist, when in trouble :mad:
I did a guesstimate of probability of seing a 6 year old carver, in your area that's supposed to be a Meca, you reply with motorcross and ski pros. Over and above, I get accused of applying my standards to others...

Anyways:
Do you think pro skiers prioritize their school education?
I do not know of any 6 year old ski pros.
I know of ONE pro snowboarder/kiteboarder living with his young kid as the care-giving parent. Even him, had to quit his team coaching duties, to take better care of the kid. I guess he is a part time pro now...

So, back to the straight question:
How many 6 year old skiers have you seen to carve both edges? :)

LeeD
04-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Carving with the uphill ski, especially predominantely, is a flaw in his technique.
While some weight can be applied, even up to 30%, the majority of weight needs to be on the downhill ski, with BENT knew, however slight or exxagerated.

BlueB
04-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Unbelievable...
No, that wasn't what I'd asked you.

LeeD
04-22-2013, 11:53 AM
You would be a fool to applaud bad technique, and luck.
Basically, that is what you are doing.
Poor technique, he should have caught his edges, crashed hard, and released from his bindings.
Like a luck mishit in tennis, that is not something to be proud of.